are ab exercises needed for a sixpack if youve been lifting a while?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi,

i used to do abs; although ive never really had a sixpack ever in my life. ive always been naturally skinny intill i started weight training. I worked abs while trainign but i havnt worked them due to something Lee Preist said: he said if you do your squats, deads military presses , and lifting in general builds muscle down there. i am now cutting and getting a six pack for the first time in my life.....:bb2:

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I do 3 sets per week of very heavy weighted situps on the decline bench for 12-15 reps slow and controlled. Definitely has made my abs stronger and thicker. I've tried the whole "don't train abs" thing and it is BS in my opinion.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think once you have them and they are of good size then direct training isn't needed but you have to get them there. Power lifting will get it done but the direct approach will make it faster.

Although I still have fat over mine, since I started directly training them I can feel them underneath and they have got a lot thicker. ymmv

mcgwirefan37

mcgwirefan37

Awards
ditto. But Branch Warren who won second place in the Arnold (Who in my opinion should've won cuz he was just awesome) said he never works on his abs he just worked on his arms the brought his Legs up to match his arms.

But all I gotta say is Branch is a freak, man he's big :)

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree with Jayhawk :) I will work my abs always, they do have to be made thicker to really look nice IMO.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I've never worked my abs and pretty happy with how they look. Could they be thicker? May be... I'll never find out since I can't afford to waste my time for such little things.
I guess genetics play big role in it too.

mcgwirefan37

mcgwirefan37

Awards
I used to work my abs, they got preety good looking under the fat, but I would have had to drop more body fat. Right now I'm working on Body fat in general cuz it had been awhile since I had worked out cuz I lost motivation. I'm glad I found it again before I had problems holding my gut in. :) lol

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you should always work your abs not just for looks but for stability too, working your core will help prevent injuries down the road

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
you should always work your abs not just for looks but for stability too, working your core will help prevent injuries down the road
Holler and such..I think it is a good idea, core stablitiy is very important, plus they look pretty too.

powerlifter6920

ditto. But Branch Warren who won second place in the Arnold (Who in my opinion should've won cuz he was just awesome) said he never works on his abs he just worked on his arms the brought his Legs up to match his arms.

But all I gotta say is Branch is a freak, man he's big :)

But, do you think he's NEVER worked his abs throughout his lifting career? I surmise he got them to where he wanted them in the first few years from direct work, and now doesn't have to do anything for them because of all the indirect work.:bruce1:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
But, do you think he's NEVER worked his abs throughout his lifting career? I surmise he got them to where he wanted them in the first few years from direct work, and now doesn't have to do anything for them because of all the indirect work.:bruce1:
Exactly, Lee Priest says he doesn't do abs anymore, but he did for a long time. Also, these guys are in a class of their own in physique development. With few possible exceptions, I think most guys here need to train them directly.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't understand why one wouldn't work their abs just due to the fact that it helps strengthen the core, which in turn can help strenthen the rest of your body. Just a thought.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I agree 100% it has nothing to do with looks, if you w/o, your abs are very important stabilizers.

To be fit as a fiddle, ya gotta work your middle!

I got 2 words for you...Power Wheel!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I now work my abs once a week. Abs have improved so has strength as a result of working the abs

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You should work abs. Strong abs can make a big diffrence in your stabability and prevention of back injuries. Also because i do work my abs heavy I can carry a good amount of fat in the winter and still have an ok six pack. My freind on the other hand that doesn't hit them hard only has then with low bodyfat.