Arachidonic acid and fish oil

Boonfly8

Boonfly8

Awards
  • Established
I saw somewhere that they compete with each other? How do you guys do the dosing? On workout days I do fish oil in the morning and ara pre workout. So that’s 6 to 7 hrs apart

Last edited:

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ARA is pro-inflammatory and fish oil is anti-inflammatory, so they're opposites in terms of effects. If you want to continue taking your fish oil whilst using ARA just dose them as far apart as possible.

Boonfly8

Boonfly8

Awards
  • Established
I guess on non workout days I can take them in the afternoon. And on workout days I’ll keep taking it as a prewo

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
There are two camps of thought here:

1. Discontinue fish oil while using ArA as fish oil could potentially displace ArA. Therefore regardless of what time you dose the Fish oil, it could potentially have a counterproductive effect. I’d need to re-look at the literature on this.

2. Keep on using your fish oil supplement, just make sure it is as far away from the ArA as possible.

For me personally, I just discontinue using fish oil while using ArA. In the last 3 years, I’ve probably done 2 separate ArA runs for 50 days. So out of ~1,000+ days, ~100 of them were without a daily 2-3g EPA/DHA. Again, just my personal preference

RIPDanDuchaine

RIPDanDuchaine

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You want to be taking AA daily, not skipping days. Fish oil does disrupt the pathway that allows AA to cause inflammation, but you can take a little bit of fish oil. There used to be an AA supplement out there that had AA and just a little bit of fish oil not to make the inflammation too crazy and lube your joints.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Was that Molecular Nutrition's X-Factor Advanced?
yup i think so .. and pple didnt react well to both dosing at the same time as i remember reading old threads

i personally felt 5+ hrs apart is the best way to dose

Boonfly8

Boonfly8

Awards
  • Established
yeah I think i'm just gonna do fish oils in the morning and for workout days I'll do the ara preworkout and for nonworkout days i'll do them around the same time in the afternoon. It's gonna be about 6 to 7hrs apart

RIPDanDuchaine

RIPDanDuchaine

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah I think i'm just gonna do fish oils in the morning and for workout days I'll do the ara preworkout and for nonworkout days i'll do them around the same time in the afternoon. It's gonna be about 6 to 7hrs apart
How much fish oil are you taking? Because you really need to take a very miniscule dose in order it to not interact with the AA. However, I did quite a bit of searching and it seems like there is some misunderstanding about whether fish oil should be taken along side AA or not. I'll see if I can get a rep from MN in here to answer your question.