anyong gettng xbox 360?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Any of you guys getting it? I think I am going to snatch one up.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
too expensive for my blood. i'm hoping the regular xbox games will cut down in price when it comes out though.

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
not right now, but probably before Halo 3 comes out next year.

RUS

Awards
nahhh $400, if id want to get it id wait till christmas at least, but still it will be expensive

p.s. id rather go with PS3

tattoopierced1

i wish...i had to wait till one of my wealthy friends wanted to get rid of his old PS2 to get a new slim line one before I even had a game station....he even had to give me a few games as well....sucks being poor....

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I'm hoping that with the introduction of the 360 and the Christmas shopping season on the horizon that the regular X-Box price will come down as well as the games and I'll probably grab that.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm hoping that with the introduction of the 360 and the Christmas shopping season on the horizon that the regular X-Box price will come down as well as the games and I'll probably grab that.
Yeah, but you can count the days until the very last XBox game comes out. Once the 360 is released they will stop making games for the old system. Just like what happened with PS1.

I'm going to wait as well. Quite a while in fact. I'm buying a house so I'll be poor for a long time.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
Yeah. But there are plenty of games to keep me busy. Plus, I like $19.95 games, not $49.95 games.

And... if I understand correctly, the 360 will run the original X-Box games... meaning I can upgrade later when the 360 is cheaper and/or has any bugs worked out (remember the first PS2s with the faulty DVD drives?).

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Xbox 360 is $300, only 400 if you buy their bundled package. I was thinking of getting it, but im just getting a new computer instead, much pricier, but I love computer games over system games any day. Plus the fact that I can buy small upgrades here and there to keep it up to date and play the latest games makes me like them more too.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Xbox 360 is $300, only 400 if you buy their bundled package. I was thinking of getting it, but im just getting a new computer instead, much pricier, but I love computer games over system games any day. Plus the fact that I can buy small upgrades here and there to keep it up to date and play the latest games makes me like them more too.
No. There are 2 versions of the XBox 360. The $300 version is 100% crap. Why?

The $300 version does not have a hard drive. Without a hard drive it is unable to play regular XBox games. It also performs slower without a hard drive, and is only in fact able to play a handful of 360 games.

An XBox 360 hard drive by itself costs more than $100.

You can't get a 360 without a hard drive, so you basically HAVE to shell out the extra cash for the bigger system. Splitting them into 2 systems was a complete scam.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have a xbox, gamecube, and ps2.. and I haven't used any of them in 1.5 years...

between work, training, eating, and sleeping... (and time with Sweetthing).

There is just no time for games.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The XBox 360 is not going to be backward compatible, meaning the regular Xbox games will collect dust if you don't keep your XBox to play them.. Pissed me off, I'd buy the $400 system if I could play my old games on it..

Bill Gates-->:nutkick:<---Consumer

RUS

Awards
I have a xbox, gamecube, and ps2.. and I haven't used any of them in 1.5 years...

between work, training, eating, and sleeping... (and time with Sweetthing).

There is just no time for games.
same here....since i got into bodybuilding, i just didnt have anymore time for videogames, i could just imagine how much money i've spent on system and all those games, id rather spent it on some good supplements, and get resouldts from it.

RUS

Awards
The XBox 360 is not going to be backward compatible, meaning the regular Xbox games will collect dust if you don't keep your XBox to play them.. Pissed me off, I'd buy the $400 system if I could play my old games on it..

i hate bill gates, hes so FIJCKING ritch, and Fin cheep, never gets enough, like hes going to spent all that money.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

I see a mod chip coming out to resolve this issue fairly quickly... I'd almost bet on it.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Where did you hear it won't be backwards compatible?

I heard the full system with the harddrive was backwards compatible but the core wasn't due to no harddrive. Of course I could be wrong.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established

Not all true. Right now they are saying most newer Microsoft titles will work. Also think about all the mods/hacks for Xbox1 - I'm sure there will be recompilers to play old titles.

Plus, with the new eye candy and sound for the 360 games. I probably won't be playing any of my old titles anyways....

I'm with Nul on the whole house thing and the fact I am waiting to get my SXRD come the 1st of the year....

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
i hate bill gates, hes so FIJCKING ritch, and Fin cheep, never gets enough, like hes going to spent all that money.
What do you really know about the man? Why do you hate him? Jealousy doesn't translate to hate in my book.

He actually gives away a **** load of his money, and has left an inheritance, in comparison, very little for his children.

$258 million to malaria

Various donations totaling over $1 Billion

I will forgive your one sided/ skewed 16yr old views. One thing to learn is to open up and see both sides of the picture...

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Considering that Bill Gates is worth $47 billion, $1bil is not that impressive...that would be like me donating about $20.

Besides any money donated is a tax write-off

If Micorsoft would ever come out with a product that wasn't a POS, then I would hold Gates in higher esteem, but windows and Xbox have been spotty in performance that I think I will pass on the 360. I did not even get an Xbox until last year and that was given to me as a gift.

What do you really know about the man? Why do you hate him? Jealousy doesn't translate to hate in my book.

He actually gives away a **** load of his money, and has left an inheritance, in comparison, very little for his children.

$258 million to malaria

Various donations totaling over $1 Billion

I will forgive your one sided/ skewed 16yr old views. One thing to learn is to open up and see both sides of the picture...

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You know, Bill Gates didn't actually donate nearly as much as it looks like on paper.

He puts tons of assets into Charitable Remainder Trusts. The way it works is, he puts assets he wants to sell into the trust. The assets are then sold. No taxes are taken because it is a trust for charity. But get this:

He can withdraw up to 90% of the money!!

It is in fact a way of MAKING money. Why? Because when you put items in the trust to be sold, you deduct their FULL value from your taxes. Money you take out of the trust isn't counted for anything at all though; it isn't added to your income.

Let's say you want to sell 1million dollars in stock. You made 5 million dollars that year so far. You put the stock into the charitable remainder trust and sell it. Then you withdraw 90%. So you have no actually made 5.9 million that year. The thing is, not only does the government not tax you on that extra 0.9 million, they give you an ADDITIONAL tax break of 1 million. So while you made 5.9 mil, you are taxed on only 4 mil.

The guy makes money hand over fist on a regular basis on this crap.

Oh and, most of his donations are to the "Bill Gates Foundation". He is completely in control of the "Bill Gates Foundation"'s resources. So he can do stuff like go on vacation, buy cars, etc. all with the foundation's money, all while getting big fat tax breaks on it.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
You know, Bill Gates didn't actually donate nearly as much as it looks like on paper.

He puts tons of assets into Charitable Remainder Trusts. The way it works is, he puts assets he wants to sell into the trust. The assets are then sold. No taxes are taken because it is a trust for charity. But get this:

He can withdraw up to 90% of the money!!

It is in fact a way of MAKING money. Why? Because when you put items in the trust to be sold, you deduct their FULL value from your taxes. Money you take out of the trust isn't counted for anything at all though; it isn't added to your income.

Let's say you want to sell 1million dollars in stock. You made 5 million dollars that year so far. You put the stock into the charitable remainder trust and sell it. Then you withdraw 90%. So you have no actually made 5.9 million that year. The thing is, not only does the government not tax you on that extra 0.9 million, they give you an ADDITIONAL tax break of 1 million. So while you made 5.9 mil, you are taxed on only 4 mil.

The guy makes money hand over fist on a regular basis on this crap.

Oh and, most of his donations are to the "Bill Gates Foundation". He is completely in control of the "Bill Gates Foundation"'s resources. So he can do stuff like go on vacation, buy cars, etc. all with the foundation's money, all while getting big fat tax breaks on it.
I won't argue the finance aspect on the tax breaks of Trusts...

But what happens when the money for aids and malaria go to be used for research and vacines and 90% is gone?

Do you really know for sure he is buying cars and going on vacations? Who regulates that... is it really worth it to him when he definately has his own financial resources?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I think Santa is giving me an XBox for Christmas. At least that was what I asked for. For some reason though, I got a huge lump of coal last year. Fat bastard.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I won't argue the finance aspect on the tax breaks of Trusts...

But what happens when the money for aids and malaria go to be used for research and vacines and 90% is gone?
The charities aren't allowed to touch the trust. Only Gates can. The way the trust works is, you designate where the money will go after or at a certain designated time period. IIRC they give you a limit of 10 years, but don't quote me on that since I'm not sure. The concept was created as a means by which to donate assets (not money) to charity immediately and without knowing which charity you want the proceeds to go to yet. That little "90%" bit was added on as a tax shelter for the ultra wealthy.

To give you an idea of how effective it is, Teresa Heinz had a taxable income of only a few million dollars last year. Her actual income when you add the money she took from charitable remainder trusts was in the many tens of millions.

My brother's boss at work (they are stock traders) paid a total of $5000 in taxes in 2004. He made over 30 million. The guy made over 30 million dollars and he pays less in taxes than an assistant manager at your local MacDonalds.

Do you really know for sure he is buying cars and going on vacations? Who regulates that... is it really worth it to him when he definately has his own financial resources?
Is it worth it to him? Bill Gates is the ultimate capitalist. Who knows what goes on in his head. For sure he can't actually USE his money. In fact, excluding real estate and other investments, it would be impossible for him to spend the money he currently has. Virtually every luxury you can imagine, he can have, every day, every SECOND of his life and still he won't even remotely dent his fortune.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
You are in NJ right? Does your brother trade in Manhattan?

From previous posts and discussions you have a ton of knowledge on finance, what's your major and what do you do again?

So your brothers boss used this trust fund loop? Explain more indepth on that.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I won't be getting an XBox 360... and I don't own any game console. I have a computer, but I don't play much games on them anymore.

But from my past computer gaming experience, I have to post a comment.

I've upgraded certain things with the *idea* that since it's backwards compatible, I'd keep on playing my new games.
NOPE. The temptation for the "latest and greatest" usually outweighed any old game that, well, just looked dated. Sure, there are some games that may have a bit of longevity, but I wouldn't base my game console decision around "backwards compatibility". Just my 2 cents...

Having said that, if the price ever drops, I'd be thinking of getting an XBox 360.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You are in NJ right? Does your brother trade in Manhattan?

From previous posts and discussions you have a ton of knowledge on finance, what's your major and what do you do again?

So your brothers boss used this trust fund loop? Explain more indepth on that.
I only know surface knowledge about a lot of the stuff. Mostly from what my brother explains to me. Yes, he is a stock trader in Manhatten. He works for a large investment bank. For obvious reasons I'm not going to say which one.

I currently live in new Jersey. Soon I will be moving to Pennsylvania.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established

It is backward compatible for the MOST of the games, the older original games may not be but who cares about most of those.

Oh and just so you guys know, DO NOT BUY THE 300 DOLLAR VERSION. With no hard drive the old games are not compatible, you can't save games, no wireless, controller etc. Just spend the extra money on the other one, it will cost you like 80 getting all of the stuff the other one has (which you need anyways).

The problem with the PS3 is, although it has a great processor in the "cell", most of the games are becoming exclusive with xbox, microsoft was very smart when they did this.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Still not buying one...

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I think Santa is giving me an XBox for Christmas. At least that was what I asked for. For some reason though, I got a huge lump of coal last year. Fat bastard.
i had asked you for an xbox, in that thread ummm about how the board had problems and you got blamed :wave:

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
i had asked you for an xbox, in that thread ummm about how the board had problems and you got blamed :wave:
Well, you called me out on it so I guess I'd better follow through. I'll go ahead and write Santa asking him to give you mine.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
:wave:

RUS

Awards
Well the only thing i dont like about Xbox compared to PS is the online play, or so called "Xbox Live" well i never player games "Xbox Live" since i dont own one, and wouldnt pay to play online, PS2 has a free online play service, ofcourse i heard that xbox's xbox live is much better, and it hurdly ever laging.

Well i know why you have to pay for xbox live, theres people who work on hosting all those games and such and they need to get payed, but what about SONY the same situation, but Sony payes those people for you, just because u already bought their system, and the game.

I heard that PS3 might have the same thing .....it sux
anyone knows about that one? and xbox 360 has it.(they give you 1 month free when you buy it xbox360)

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well the only thing i dont like about Xbox compared to PS is the online play, or so called "Xbox Live" well i never player games "Xbox Live" since i dont own one, and wouldnt pay to play online, PS2 has a free online play service, ofcourse i heard that xbox's xbox live is much better, and it hurdly ever laging.

Well i know why you have to pay for xbox live, theres people who work on hosting all those games and such and they need to get payed, but what about SONY the same situation, but Sony payes those people for you, just because u already bought their system, and the game.

I heard that PS3 might have the same thing .....it sux
anyone knows about that one? and xbox 360 has it.(they give you 1 month free when you buy it xbox360)
Since when has sony games been free to play online? The whole reason I bought and xbox was for ONE low fee for all xbox games to play. WHen I was looking at ps2, sony doesn't host games, the people who ake the games need to host it themselves and most of the time you need to pay them. One example, I like the final fantasy games, I was looking at final fantasy XII for xbox which was online play, to play that, you needed to pay $12 a month for it. I can play ALL xbox live games for $6 a month. Xbox did it right with having it all hosted under them for a small fee. You don't need to pay lots of small fees for different games this way. ps2 is not free to play online (well only if the game makers decide to have it like that, but it wasn't like that when I looked around).

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
I don't own either one... and I'm no fan of Microsoft... but from what I've seen when playing with friends and the online play, X-Box Live beats the crap out of playing online with the PS2 (or playing X-Box online without X-Box Live.)

Just my casual observation.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I heart Xbox Live... great stuff

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i mean im no fan of microsoft persay but hell we need to help our economy as much as we can. and frankly i feel they have come out with a great product. they did a lot to secure them as a powerhouse in the gaming market as they do with all other markets and again if that helps the times we are in now then im in.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
lake do you have NCAA2006 on Xbox - I'll play you - Florida vs. Florida State

beware im top 700 in the nation

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Do WHAT? Gates is probably THE most giving and charitable man in the entire WORLD. Well him and his wife anyways. And I really literally mean that.... they donate more money to REAL charities that often get overlooked than even whole GOVERNMENTS do. He recently donated like $600 million to Malaria research. He's donated something like $25 BILLION over the past 10 years to various GOOD causes. This isnt an exageration here!

He definitely isnt cheap; and he's not THE one that makes these decisions in Microsoft. It is a corporation and a large panel of people make these decisions. I'm sure he has some say; but in a big corporation, lots of things are done by comittee, etc.

I don't agree with the way Microsoft conducts business, but I'll never EVER insult Bill Gates. He does with his money that no big-shot celebrity or athlete will EVER do.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yeah Microsoft gives back to the community far beyond what most companies do/would. Negative stereotypes of Microsoft are largely media driven (and competitors). Microsoft isn't a non-profit organization - but they fairly socially conscious relative to others.

RUS

Awards
Yeah i know .....that true.

BUT

what he does is charges you with over priced prices for lets say windows which is $100-$150, and basicly donates YOUR money to charities.

Now windows will get F'd in the ass when Linux now is free and getting more and more operational.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Gonna wait a year when the price will likely come down (as well as used game prices). With the PS3 coming out a year later, MS will likely cut the prices even more on the 360 to steal market share from the PS3 which is already rumored to be $100 more.

Gumbo

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I am still staying with PC games... kids will want it. Then let them buy it:lol:

Got to agree with the hacks post. Seems everything gets worked around now adays.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established

BUT

what he does is charges you with over priced prices for lets say windows which is $100-$150, and basicly donates YOUR money to charities.

Now windows will get F'd in the ass when Linux now is free and getting more and more operational.
No.... Windows will not be F'd in the A. I work in IT and this is one thing I know.

Linux only has a small small percentage on the server market. Desktop... they don't even show up as a blip on the radar.

Don't get me wrong, Linus Torvalds created a great thing and companies; Suse, Red Hat, have changed it around ALOT but I don't think it will ever take over the market share Windows holds.

The future of the business desktop is a thin client. I'm sure MS will come up with something....

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established

BUT

Honestly 100-150 for an operating system isn't expensive at all. Think of the manpower going into that system. A shitload of nerdy lil mofo's each top of their class coming out of ivy league schools and getting payed triple digits every year. Plus it takes anywhere from 3-6 years to create a stable, safe, optimized operating system. They will spend WELL over a billion just creating theh damn thing.

CEDeoudes- well i would have an xbox if someone wouldn't have broken in my house and stolen my laptop and xbox, which had the ncaa game in it lol.. double whammy! ****!:frustrate

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
damn.... that sucks. I would have lost it and broken my remaining possessions

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys for clarifying the differences between the $300 & $400 systems.

A few years ago I decided to get the PS2 instead of the xbox because I loved GTA III. But I haven't been impressed with anything about from Sony since Vice City came out (which was later released for the xbox anyway).

I'm 99% sure I'll get a 360 at some point. I may not get one on the 22nd though, because I'm not sure how great the new games are. I just don't see any 360 games that I'm thrilled about. FWIW, if you already have an xbox, there are lots of new games coming out for it this holiday season, probably enough to keep you busy for at least six months.

I would like to see Halo 2 in 720p though. I've been pretty much addicted to that game until a few days ago when my roommate sold his frickin xbox and all his games. I'm still undecided.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
In short, no.

Its not worth it. I'm not paying $60 for a game or $400 a system. Plus it uses DVDs which means games could actually be higher than $60 as games ship out on multiple DVDs.

PS3 is an even worse choice. Sony was seriously considering leaving tracking numbers on your PS3, making it impossible to play a used game on the machine. Since used games are how I buy most of my games, Sony can kiss my pasty white ass if they think they can get away with it.

I don't own any video game consoles at the moment and probably don't intend to get another one in a long time if ever.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Right now I have an XBox and PS2, and I love 'em both. I also have about 12 games that I havent even played yet, and many others that I havent won. I can't help it, I love video games but never have time to play them!! Xbox definitely kicks ass, and its only like $4.50 a month or somethng like that.

Ill get a 360 when the price goes down, and Ill pick up a PS3 too when they're down around $200. And then Ill get a GameCube when they're getting blown out at ToysRUs for $49:) I also still have a mint 2600, Intellivision, super nintendo, an Amiga 2000 and 2 Commodore 64's:D All in the attic of course - one day Ill have it all hooked up to a mammoth home theater room :)