Anyone do cold showers?

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
I was thinking about starting to take cold showers. I have read that they can increase blood circulation, lower blood pressure, stronger immune and nervous system. Anyone taking cold showers?:suspect:

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Can't really find any hard evidence. Just google Cold shower or hydrotherapy. It looks like it is more of an eastern idea. Just wondering if anyone is participating..

MrRobRage

Awards
cold raises blood pressure and is bad for circulation

uknowwho

Awards
He may be referring to contrast showers which is more along the line of 5 minutes of super cold water and then jumping in a hot shower for 5 minutes. The huge change in temperatures is supposed to flush the muscles and joints of toxins. I know they use them in the NFL and other professional sports. They mostly use ice baths and hot tubs instead of showers though.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I dont take my training seriously enough to have to debate whats the best shower to take i guess, but for me it depends i love hoping in an ice cold shower after sweating my balls off or steaming in a nice hot shower on a cold day. Do i notice a difference between the two? not like i ever looked closely but cant imagine its noticable.

MrRobRage

Awards
its basic physics. Thermal expansion. Cold causes your blood vessels to constrict (vasoconstriction) and heat causes them to expand (vasodilation). When constricted it takes more effort from the heart to push blood through them, so the blood pressure goes up, when expanded the blood pressure goes down.

BMCLouzee

Hmmm....well, I run super cold water after a warm shower to close my pores. There's a 1950's beauty manual for ladies that suggest to stand on your head to rush blood into your face and increase blood circulation. Outdated and irrelevant, but thought I'd share it anyway.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
He may be referring to contrast showers which is more along the line of 5 minutes of super cold water and then jumping in a hot shower for 5 minutes. The huge change in temperatures is supposed to flush the muscles and joints of toxins. I know they use them in the NFL and other professional sports. They mostly use ice baths and hot tubs instead of showers though.
That is what I meant. I actually did one today. I started out with hot water to wash myself then slowly inched it as cold as I could bare for a couple mins and it actually made my headache go away and kind of refreshed me. I took a sleep aid last night and it left me feeling a bit groggy with the headache.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
used to. Not any more. It used to think it helped with fat loss now a days I am not so sure and if it did it was minimal.

Last year I jumped in a bathtub of ice water like Brock Lesnar. and I stayed 1:30 minutes or maybe 2 or 3 I forget

orangerain

Awards
I take cold showers since I'm in a warm country... but I take warm baths as well. I don't see/feel the difference though. :D

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Cold showers FTW!!!!!!! Ive been doing hydrotherapy for over a year and its amazing

proven to help with DOMS, significantly helps me with recovery

my circulation has gotten much better, muscles feel fuller and harder

my immune system has been a monster, i beat colds in less than a day

on top of all that, it feels amazing and takes your mind off things. i also like it because its good to challenge yourself a little bit everyday. even if you are not engaged in any other physical activity, growing a set and turning the water all the way cold in January is a good character builder. I feel like we were created to take cold baths. Think about our ancestors who didnt have access to hot water heater or convinient nearby hot streams. they got in there no matter how cold it was.

if youve never done a cold shower, a couple tips:

build a tolerance slowly, turn the knob colder and colder everyday until you get to the end

take big deep breaths when the cold first hits you, this will help the body regain its optimal temperature

stimulate more blood flow by rubbing your body with your hands

make sure you really get your armpits, inside of thighs, feet. those areas send a signal to the body to up the temp.

try saying something to yourself to help you deal with the cold. ive been using the old beat up "cold is just weakness leaving the body" and it helps.

make sure the bathroom temperature is around 68-70 when you get out so you dont get sick from the cooldown. wrap yourself in a couple towels and wait for the blood to recirculate. finish this bad boy with a coconut oil/almond oil massage and you are your own beauty salon lol

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
if i need to wake up quick in the morning i run cold water over my feet for 30 secs.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
do it do it do it do it dont be a pu$$y and take a cold showerrrrrrr :)

yoshi5674

yoshi5674

Awards
  • Established
Here in Texas I have to take about 3 cold showers a day...I have a problem cooling down after exercise and outside activities. More importantly before bedtime or I'll sweat myself out of the bed.