Anybody ever used gear only once?

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
I've been researching for a while now and I came across an interesting article that stated the following:

"Anabolic Steroids are Very Psychologically Addictive
What kind of psychobabble is this? Quite simply, once you start using steroids, you won't want to stop. Anabolic steroids take your body to a level you can never achieve naturally, and once that line is crossed, it's very hard to ever train clean again.

So, what happens when a natural bodybuilder like the one above decides to use steroids? He grows. In doing so, he smashes the natural barrier and his body begins to transform. Realistically, how do you ever go back to training naturally again? We can liken muscular size to crack, it's extremely addictive. I'm certain that most of you who have already gone over to the dark side can testify to this. It starts out with a small cycle, just one to add 15-20 lbs, then you'll quit. After you achieve your goal, you decide to do another to add a little more weight. Pretty soon this becomes a vicious cycle with no end in sight. You've become so desensitized to steroid use that you start taking more and more risks with your health. You initial goal of weighing a ripped 215 lbs went out the door 10 cycles ago, now you're shooting for 300 lbs and trying to score enough cash for that gyno surgery."

Since I have the same mentality (that I could use gear, but only once) I'm curious whether anyone really ever does this...

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I believe on some level they are addicting....not addicting to where you cant quit using them, but where you dont want to quit using them...I think what happens to a lot of people is that they run a cycle, have great results, see they have little or no sides, and see them for what they really are...performance enhancements. Its pretty easy to convince yourself to run another cycle if the only side you had was some acne, or maybe not even that. IMO, thats where the "Im only going to run them once" mentality falls short....

holy

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
All my friends who have trained natural with me since the beginning are now what I'd consider drug abusers. (steroids).

One of them is an RN as well (Registered Nurse). All he can think about is future cycles now.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Interesting replies.

Holy, your point is my fear, honestly. I know that AAS aren't the kind of drug that people can't stop using but many choose not to stop using. Again, honestly I think that if most/many start with the intention of only doing one cycle, then I probably would as well...after all, what makes me so special, knowhattamean?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
It's like you have a job position where you make $10.00/hour.

Then you do that same job, yet you are getting paid $1,000/hour.

If you have the ability to control this, why would you go back to earning less ?

Most people can't handle lesser results, when they were getting more doing the same thing+drugs. Keyword: MOST, but not all.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established

If you have the ability to control this, why would you go back to earning less ?

Most people can't handle lesser results, when they were getting more doing the same thing+drugs. Keyword: MOST, but not all.

personally, i have a set weight and bf% i want to achieve before i stop using. i have myself saying that now, but once i hit my goal who knows...

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'll be the first to admit, I have an addictive personality, and if I got started and started getting great results, the only thing that would stop me is some major health issue. IMO, its like smoking, it's just easier not to get started.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established

If you have the ability to control this, why would you go back to earning less ?.
To use your example Reap, my thought would be something like this. Work the job making $1000/hour for a finite period of time and save up the money. Once you hit your goal then go back to your $10/hour job... but like you said, the temptation is the fact that you once made $1000/hour!

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
What is 'big enough' though ? As nosinmyveins said, what's really your end goal ? Are you telling me that once those numbers on the scale and BF% say what you were shooting for you are going to throw away everything ?

In respect to the job aspect, assuming you did the same amount of work, etc, etc and that everything in that job was exactly the same it would be hard going back to a lower pay.

There's a guy at my gym who is pretty jacked. He play football for college about 5 years ago. He's torn his rotator cuff in one of his shoulders, but he has a very good physique.

He lifts pretty damn heavy and trains hard. He looks better than 99% of the other guys who use drugs. Completely natural.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
What is 'big enough' though ? As nosinmyveins said, what's really your end goal ? Are you telling me that once those numbers on the scale and BF% say what you were shooting for you are going to throw away everything ?

my point was to reach my goal and maintain from there. but with the way i am, once i hit it, its not good enough anymore

...im just saying RIGHT NOW, my plan is to get to my goal and maintain from there......but things change

unless theres legal, medical, or $$$ issues...theres really no reason to stop

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Like you nos, I have a goal. I'm currently 6-0 - 215 (bf ~15% I'd guess) and my goal is to be 235~245 @ 10% bf. I see so many people who run cycle after cycle and I'd really rather not adopt that mentality for both health and $$$$ reasons.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
That's what's happening with my friend who is an R.N. He is in MMA as well so he get the crap kicked out of him on top of weight training. He claims that he recovers so much faster and feels better in a shorter amount of time compared to not being 'on'.

Now that he's experienced enhanced recovery he dosen't really plan on stopping anytime soon (judging by his stash).

krogtaar

Awards
its on the the same level that taking protein shakes is...it improves your performance

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
its on the the same level that taking protein shakes is...it improves your performance
I suppose any form of supplementation, share the same underlining principle of assisted enhancement, but the degree of protein shakes vs hot sauce are far too reaching to compare.

djglow05

djglow05

Awards
I suppose any form of supplementation, share the same underlining principle of assisted enhancement, but the degree of protein shakes vs hot sauce are far too reaching to compare.

I agree, not the same at all.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established

Either he meant creatine or I'm drinking the wrong protein. Never heard of protein improving performance.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
i think he's speaking from brotellegence.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting topic and I agree completely with what Holy said. It's not something that people become addicted to and "can't" quit. With some people it simply becomes that they don't "want" to quit.

I think it depends more on the person and his or her goals and motives. I know and have personally talked to guys who have used for years and have come off completely now with no intention of ever going back on. They realized life didn't revolve around muscle and decided to simply continue working out naturally and not worry about anything else. These guys are generally older though and have had longer to mature and experience more of life and of bodybuilding. Not exactly one cycle, but they still have used gear and then decided not to again.

However people like myself who are still younger and who are obsessive (or maybe just competitive) continue to strive forward as we are never satisfied. Once you reach one goal, you simply set another. You don't become obsessed with gear, simply the result, and gear is just a mean to an ends.

If my end goals were achievable naturally then by all means would I train naturally for life. I don't use because I like how easy it is to gain. I use because it's the only way to get to where I want to get. It's not to avoid hard work because I love the work involved, it's what drives me.

So I think it is certainly possible to use gear once and never again, but only if mentally, you have goals and limits set. If your goals coincide with the one time use of gear then your good to go. If not then you will continue to use until you reach that goal, assuming that your at level were gear is needed to advance any further towards your goal. Now the only question is, once you reach your goal, will you be satisfied???

Edit: Let me add that I have just that I have recently begun my use of gear or PE's or whatever you want to call them.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Realistically there are psychological issues that are underlying but never discussed. With the exception of competitors and professional athletes, the majority of the guys who use gear want to look good, be the biggest guy around, etc, etc.

This stems from some internal insecurity. Gear isn't required. It isn't mandatory. I think the concept of being able to grow off of training naturally has fallen to the wayside. The majority of the users here use gear solely for instant gratification and probably to soothe their insecurities in someway.

Having this type of personality background only creates a bigger breeding ground for addiction. Once again, not everyone lacks self-control, however, most people won't stop voluntarly without some reason to.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i gotta sound off on this one, having a background in....well we'll just say abuse of things. the addictive personality comment or should i say excuse is just that, an excuse, a "cop out", but i will say the honesty is great, knowing how you are or are prone to be, before doing something is awesome. but when it comes right down to it, it's a choice. do i want to be responsible and use this steroid for what it's for, a certain amount of time, to obtain specific results then come off, or do i want to use it irresponsibly and just stay "on" and do whatever the F*** i want to do, knowing it's not good for my body, mind or spirit? i use PH/PS (have not pinned yet) for what their intended for, then i get the hell off of them, kind of like the same way i use a screwdriver, i use it for what it's for then i put it back in the tool box.....i don't walk around with it in my hand or pocket.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Well said TerribleT! I like all these honest answers. When I first started researching the idea I came across a lot of "I only use gear to break through a plateau" posts (not here). I was beginning to think, "damn these guys must plateau A LOT"

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Not to stirr up shlt or anything, but it is very rare to see someone who is jucing that is actually over 200lbs. Apparently people are hitting plateaus @ 160lbs pretty often.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
kind of like the same way i use a screwdriver, i use it for what it's for then i put it back in the tool box.....i don't walk around with it in my hand or pocket.
hahaha...now that's breakin' it down lennox!

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Not to stirr up shlt or anything, but it is very rare to see someone who is jucing that is actually over 200lbs. Apparently people are hitting plateaus @ 160lbs pretty often.
I guess rules (or guidelines) were meant to be broken. I thought the gear guidelines for usage were:

age > 21, preferably 25
weight > 200 unless short stature

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know if its a location thing, but thats not my experience. The people I see are already big guys who for some reason, want to get outrageously huge, and the smaller guys (less then 180) aim for shred, rather then size. From my Southern California gym experience/circle of bodybuilding company, POV.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think it is often used as a big crutch.. People can be relatively big, and stay pretty lean, with MINIMAL inconvenience to their everyday life. They can eat half assed, train half assed, drink, etc, and still be bigger then the avg guy.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
I agree completely. The only reason someone plateaus at 160, 170, 180 is because they don't know what the hell they are doing. Not because they need gear.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I guess rules (or guidelines) were meant to be broken. I thought the gear guidelines for usage were:

age > 21, preferably 25
weight > 200 unless short stature

lol, nope. This is how it is now:

- >21, but less is ok, just lie about it when you start the thread.

- Say "my diet is in check" if anyone asks

- Minimum 1 month training under your belt

- Any starting weight is acceptable.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
I think it is often used as a big crutch.. People can be relatively big, and stay pretty lean, with MINIMAL inconvenience to their everyday life. They can eat half assed, train half assed, drink, etc, and still be bigger then the avg guy.
This is my main experience with people who want to use gear. They aren't willing to do the work to get big naturally before they use gear. They simply want an easy way to be "big and ripped". The majority of them have no sense of diet or nutrition. How many of these guys posting about Epi and H-Drol cycles actually count calories and preplan their meals? I can tell you exactly how many calories I have consumed today. I can tell you exactly how many I will consume tomorrow. My diet is laid out. I know how many calories I desire to take in and I have constructed a diet that allows me to reach that goal in the desired proportions (P/C/F). Until that goal is reached or there is a need to change I don't alter from that diet. Same meals everyday, day in and day out, with the exception of cheats (which are generally scheduled). You don't grow off gear, you grow in the kitchen.

People's laziness to try and maximize themselves naturally first shows in there laziness as far as researching and designing cycles as well. The majority of post on boards like these are from unexperienced, uninformed, lazy people.

There is a point in this rant that relates to the main topic of this thread. If gear is used simply as a crutch like imprezivr mentioned, then I can almost guarantee, with almost 100% confidence, that the individual will use again.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
lol, nope. This is how it is now:

- >21, but less is ok, just lie about it when you start the thread.

- Say "my diet is in check" if anyone asks

- Minimum 1 month training under your belt

- Any starting weight is acceptable.

lmfao....wow

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
lol, oh please...........................................

Don't tell me that you didn't notice that every other guy running a cycle is sub 200lbs. :rofl:

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
well, yeah i noticed that lots of the PH logs that I come across are sub 200 but figured maybe that's just this forum...

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
plus it's funny since i see the "my diet is in check" without details often and some start out with their age listed and then later remove it. It's just funny to me.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is my main experience with people who want to use gear. They aren't willing to do the work to get big naturally before they use gear. They simply want an easy way to be "big and ripped". The majority of them have no sense of diet or nutrition. How many of these guys posting about Epi and H-Drol cycles actually count calories and preplan their meals? I can tell you exactly how many calories I have consumed today. I can tell you exactly how many I will consume tomorrow. My diet is laid out. I know how many calories I desire to take in and I have constructed a diet that allows me to reach that goal in the desired proportions (P/C/F). Until that goal is reached or there is a need to change I don't alter from that diet. Same meals everyday, day in and day out, with the exception of cheats (which are generally scheduled). You don't grow off gear, you grow in the kitchen.

People's laziness to try and maximize themselves naturally first shows in there laziness as far as researching and designing cycles as well. The majority of post on boards like these are from unexperienced, uninformed, lazy people.

There is a point in this rant that relates to the main topic of this thread. If gear is used simply as a crutch like imprezivr mentioned, then I can almost guarantee, with almost 100% confidence, that the individual will use again.
I agree.. It is ridiculous.. I have a few friends like that.. Juiced out of their minds, and only marginally bigger then me.. But the difference is i give it 100%, and they give it 50% if their lucky.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
hai guise ! I just turned 21 (even though my profile listed 16 last week). I'm thinking about doing an M-Drol/H-Drol/Epi cycle. Diet is in check. I just started training last week, so I got a week under my belt. I weigh 135lbs with clothes on.

Normally this would be unacceptable, but since I am "popular" it is ok.

[everyone cheers him on].

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Off Topic, question for Reaper. What is all this controversy surrounding Box? What the heck happened?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
he scammed the sponsors here on this board for 1 year and took a lot of their products and created fake logs.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well, yeah i noticed that lots of the PH logs that I come across are sub 200 but figured maybe that's just this forum...
Na, it is because that most(i say most, not all) people who have built a respectable physique, will just use the real thing, over designers. The designers seem to be more of a "novice" thing.

Now some more experienced people i do see use designers, but it could be due to their employment(legality), spouse, etc. There are legit reasons i am sure.

Just my take on it..

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
he scammed the sponsors here on this board for 1 year and took a lot of their products and created fake logs.
Yikes, but thanks for the clarification.

He did seem to have a lot of logs running all at the same time, apart from the fraud part, I always thought he was a cool guy.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Also too, the more unsafe/wreckless your cycles, the more it makes you a 'hardcore bodybuilder'.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
Na, it is because that most(i say most, not all) people who have built a respectable physique, will just use the real thing, over designers. The designers seem to be more of a "novice" thing.

Now some more experienced people i do see use designers, but it could be due to their employment(legality), spouse, etc. There are legit reasons i am sure.

Just my take on it..
I agree. Injectables are held in much higher regards than these designer steroids. People see it's simply a pill and don't understand how they could possibly **** it up. Take the pill and lift and you'll get big and strong...right??? Yea, until post cycle roles around and you completely lose the little you've gained plus some because you have no idea of what proper PCT, dieting, and training involves. Then people's performance suffers for months after the cycle and they think it's because they need the "magic pill" when in reality they simply need to learn what the **** they're doing.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree. Injectables are held in much higher regards than these designer steroids. People see it's simply a pill and don't understand how they could possibly **** it up. Take the pill and lift and you'll get big and strong...right??? Yea, until post cycle roles around and you completely lose everything you've gained plus some because you have no idea of what proper PCT, dieting, and training involves. Then people's performance suffers for months after the cycle and they think it's because they need the "magic pill" when in reality they simply need to learn what the **** they're doing.
Ya, not to mention you get 1/2 the results, with double the liver stress in most cases..lol

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
So it would follow from the responses so far that irregardless of the form of the compound (PH/PS or AAS), doing a cycle of EITHER could result in a psychological dependence.

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Awards
  • Established
So it would follow from the responses so far that irregardless of the form of the compound (PH/PS or AAS), doing a cycle of EITHER could result in a psychological dependence.
Depends on your goals in my opinion. If one cycle takes you to a level where you are satisfied then one cycle is all you will ever need. If you continue to want more and more, then you will most likely continue to use. Just don't use it as a crutch for a lack of diet and dedication as I feel you will more than likely certainly develop a psychological dependence.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Depends on your goals in my opinion. If one cycle takes you to a level where you are satisfied then one cycle is all you will ever need. If you continue to want more and more, then you will most likely continue to use. Just don't use it as a crutch for a lack of diet and dedication as I feel you will more than likely certainly develop a psychological dependence.
Ya.. There is such a big contrast between being OFF/ON, for someone who just half asses it. They get decent gains while ON, and NO gains when OFF, so they think they have no choice. Plus they think their gains are much more extraordinary then they are, as they can't make any gains without it.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
Some insight into the "psychological" addiction we speak of....I know two to three guys who literally do not even train unless they are using....It didnt start out that way, it just eventually progressed to it.....

holy

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
the potential invites itself to become addicted. It depends on each person, but given the lifestyle and how obsessed/committed they become it invites future problems.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You initial goal of weighing a ripped 215 lbs went out the door 10 cycles ago, now you're shooting for 300 lbs and trying to score enough cash for that gyno surgery."
I LOVE THAT LINE! AWESOME! :icon_lol:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats pushing it. under 160lber usually get flamed big time. Id say there are alot of guys under 180.