Any convincing evidence on HICA

Rockslide

Awards
  • First Up Vote
As above, planning a cut starting in 4-6 weeks . Until then on the 4K calorie a day train. I’m hoping to have added at least 6-8 lbs of lbm during my 8-10 weeks of calorie surplus (will definately have added a few pounds of fat with it too). Ideally would like to keep most of the lbm in the cut with about a 750 cal/ day deficit.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
seems like according to the study above, it would be an effective anti-catabolic and not very anabolic.
Wouldn’t say its convincing. Something like HMB significantly more anti-catabolic data, i just wonder why there has been no follow up studies on HICA?

Rockslide

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I’m aware of the mentioned study, seems it’s the one they talk about with the HiCA products. It’s a pretty small sample size , I guess nobody has done a bigger one.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Wouldn’t say its convincing. Something like HMB significantly more anti-catabolic data, i just wonder why there has been no follow up studies on HICA?
What typically drives follow up studies when a first or early study shows promise?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What typically drives follow up studies when a first or early study shows promise?
One study with a smaller sample size doesn’t really “conclusively prove” much, so further studies would confirm any benefits, and also perhaps dial in the optimal dosing, timing, and what situations/populations it works and works best in.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
One study with a smaller sample size doesn’t really “conclusively prove” much, so further studies would confirm any benefits, and also perhaps dial in the optimal dosing, timing, and what situations/populations it works and works best in.
Exactly, so in the case of HICA, why haven’t there been follow up studies?

I’m aware of what you’re saying, I’m just curious

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Exactly, so in the case of HICA, why haven’t there been follow up studies?

I’m aware of what you’re saying, I’m just curious
I don’t exactly know. Perhaps HMB received more attention/funding for this purpose? They’re pretty similar in intended/claimed effects/benefits.

I don’t think we can say that HICA doesn’t work though, that wouldn’t exactly make sense given the limited data we do have. Not having follow up studies doesn’t prove that it doesn’t work.

Wildcat528

Wildcat528

Awards
  • Established
I don’t exactly know. Perhaps HMB received more attention/funding for this purpose? They’re pretty similar in intended/claimed effects/benefits.

I don’t think we can say that HICA doesn’t work though, that wouldn’t exactly make sense given the limited data we do have. Not having follow up studies doesn’t prove that it doesn’t work.
I believe you are accurate in the funding aspect. Also, with HMB seeming to somewhat have a hold on the anti-catabolic field along with the cheaper leucine, I don’t think many people are pushing to conduct a large controlled study on another leucine-related compound. But I imagine over time that HICA will in fact be used in a large scale study primarily due to hmb having such a high price point. Tough to say for certain though.