Anti-Depressants and Steroid use

Openmind1

Awards
I was just thinking really recently about the correlation between steroid use and people with depression. Recently I've been taking steps to cope with my clinical depression, and am current researching anti-depressants. However, I still wish to compete in a number of years. Has anyone ever tried running a cycle while on a SSRI or SNRI?

Thanks I appreciate the advice,

AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m not sure if steroids would have any direct interference with anti-depressants, but I do know that the hormonal changes from steroids can cause mood changes, so I’d consider that as well.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is definitely something I would address with a doctor. If there is any effect it could be dramatic.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SSRI’s are no joke. I would try every method possible to treat depression before making that jump. And even then, don’t do it. I was put on one when I was 17 and luckily it started to cause extreme heart pain for me. I say luckily because if you get that side effect then you have to ween off it before serious damage occurs. If I’d have stayed on then I’d probably be in jail for some type of violent crime. It turned me into an absolute savage. It’s a roll of the dice. Some people get prescribed antidepressants and they claim they feel better and they become happier, more fulfilled people. Others get prescribed them and they kill their family. So to me it’s not worth the risk no matter what.

I don’t know if your against psychoactive drugs but obviously marijuana is a great antidepressant. But you have to dose it so frequently. What one day will become a practical option for those suffering major depression will be psilocybin mushrooms. Yes, magic mushrooms. The DEA has recently granted a license to scientists for the study of how magic mushrooms can treat depression and so far the results are very promising. The depression usually clears for 3-6 months and then you need to dose it again. I’ve used psychedelics to treat my depression and it does work for a long time. There’s so many options out there, including simple lifestyle changes too. But I’ve already gone on long enough.

Finally, should you mix steroids with SSRI’s? Of course not. You’d be seriously changing your body chemistry from every angle. But changing your neurotransmitters, while just crossing your fingers and hoping that’s what your body actually needs, is risky enough. Messing with your hormones at the same time is just crazy.

One last thing. In my opinion the entire idea behind why antidepressants could be necessary for some is wrong and many psychologists admit that today. The use of antidepressants comes from a blend of philosophical positivism and psychology, or in other words, it comes from the idea that all realities truths are somehow measurable mathematically. So in this case, a psychologist who has a positivist stance on mental illness would say, “Oh your depressed? Well then you must only have x-amount of dopamine in your brain and x-amount of endorphins.” But clinical depression is not an issue that has to do with insufficient amounts of neurotransmitters in most cases. There are a million factors that could play a role in someone’s depression and taking a pill that changes brain chemistry is usually not the answer.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Psychiatry is not, not, a real science. They have no idea what antidepressant medication actually does. Like the word chemical imbalance, ask a psycharist what the balance is, because in order to justify an imbalance there must be a balance. They can't tell you, furthermore, there is no lab test that shows this supposed imbalance...it's a made up word..just like psychiatry is a made up science. Watch the documentary..psychiatry, an industry of death. Its on YouTube...very informative

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Psychiatry is not, not, a real science. They have no idea what antidepressant medication actually does. Like the word chemical imbalance, ask a psycharist what the balance is, because in order to justify an imbalance there must be a balance. They can't tell you, furthermore, there is no lab test that shows this supposed imbalance...it's a made up word..just like psychiatry is a made up science. Watch the documentary..psychiatry, an industry of death. Its on YouTube...very informative
Exactly. Psychology has a lot of merit to some of its theories, but psychiatry is mostly a money making scheme. When I was 17 years old, I was only 20 minutes into my first ever therapy session when I was offered an antidepressant prescription! This sh!t is not candy!

weightlifter1

Awards
These replies are absolutely idiotic. Sure some people are effected negatively by SSRI’s but for many people it’s positively life changing. Have you ever heard of a serotonin imbalance? I had a imbalance due to my IBS and chronic gastritis which in return caused depression and anxiety. Zoloft completely cured my anxiety and depression with zero side effects other than the initial first couple weeks of slight nausea. I do agree that messing with steroids and your hormones could have a negative impact on your depression. But posts that are swaying people from getting help for issues that can be crippling is ridiculous.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
These replies are absolutely idiotic. Sure some people are effected negatively by SSRI’s but for many people it’s positively life changing. Have you ever heard of a serotonin imbalance? I had a imbalance due to my IBS and chronic gastritis which in return caused depression and anxiety. Zoloft completely cured my anxiety and depression with zero side effects other than the initial first couple weeks of slight nausea. I do agree that messing with steroids and your hormones could have a negative impact on your depression. But posts that are swaying people from getting help for issues that can be crippling is ridiculous.
I agree he should seek help but my stance is that it saves some people’s lives and causes other people to get much much worse. So it should be a last resort option.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not swaying anyone, just stating facts. I could care less what other people do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 9
Anabolics 0
Supplements 0
Anabolics 10
Anabolics 13