Anabolic Steroids Caused Severe Ulcerative Colitis?

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
I have been in the hospital for several days. I was diagnosed with severe ulcerative colitis, my entire colon has been bleeding for over a month, causing me to poop 5-10 times a day with blood. I've lost 10 pounds in a month. I Did my first test cycle last march, and again at the end of the year into the beginning of this year, with some other compounds like mast and primo. Is it possible that anabolic steroids could have caused my ulcerative colitis to come out of remission but worse like this? I was diagnosed with mild ulcerative colitis over 2 years ago for the first time, and it went away COMPLETELY until this year. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate. This may not be the right area to post but I'm desperate

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
At what point of your cycle did the symptoms appear? During, washout, pct?

I have had Ulcerative Colitis for around a decade now.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You just said you had your first symptoms and episode 2 years ago so that’s obviously genetics at this point are you were predisposed to certain type of issues. Anyways I hope you’re okay and you’ll get better soon man

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m no expert on it but my sister suffered for years (until some new drug controlled it)

stress used to cause her to flare up and running cycles does put your body under additional stress.....

from your comment you stuck with injectable right?

it would surprise me if it wasn’t part of the reason for your flare up but I’m guessing bro.

hope your ok

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have been in the hospital for several days. I was diagnosed with severe ulcerative colitis, my entire colon has been bleeding for over a month, causing me to poop 5-10 times a day with blood. I've lost 10 pounds in a month. I Did my first test cycle last march, and again at the end of the year into the beginning of this year, with some other compounds like mast and primo. Is it possible that anabolic steroids could have caused my ulcerative colitis to come out of remission but worse like this? I was diagnosed with mild ulcerative colitis over 2 years ago for the first time, and it went away COMPLETELY until this year. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate. This may not be the right area to post but I'm desperate
If you had said you were using orals, I may have thought so. But with Test, I'm personally doubtful (but I'm not an expert on Colitis).

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
I was using primarily injectables, and had a few trials of some orals along the way (which did mostly nothing, surprisingly... dbol, anadrol I did not notice any differences). Makes me wonder if thats why the oral prednisone didn't have an effect on my disease, because when they started my on injectable steroid treatment in the hospital, the symptoms started getting better.

And the flare up started in the middle of my PCT when my T was completely bottomed out ablut 2 months after my last pin of test-prop. I recently started TRT 1 month ago currently on 100mg cyp per week.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So the short of it is, yes the stress of cycling probably helped push a flare up. Cycling raises inflammation and oxidative stress, undoubtedly. What you do have control over is your medication, your diet, supplementation, doses, drug choices, and drug quality (pharma vs ugl).

I am no doc, & never suffered from uc or the like, so I am just dumping out some anecdotal stuff I have read. But Clint Darden has had chronic serious gut issues for years, and I know he’s very very mild with his gear use now. Some of his greatest lifts are behind him, but he’s continued to make progress in other ways. Casey Garrison was a big 242 raw powerlifter & great benchpresser, but after UC he had to downsize a lot and never got back to his old numbers. Chris Bumstead has managed to become the best in the world in his class, and I know he has mentioned he has to be very careful with his gear use and controlling his stress/worry around his Olympia runs to minimize the impact when he flares up.

So I think it’s a huge hurdle, but some people choose to walk away and others try to find a way around their limitations.

Vigorous Steve has mentioned there is a HUGE difference in inflammation markers based on whether he uses true pharma gear with proper carrier oils vs ugl. And the more oil you use, the bigger this issue becomes.

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
So the short of it is, yes the stress of cycling probably helped push a flare up. Cycling raises inflammation and oxidative stress, undoubtedly. What you do have control over is your medication, your diet, supplementation, doses, drug choices, and drug quality (pharma vs ugl).

I am no doc, & never suffered from uc or the like, so I am just dumping out some anecdotal stuff I have read. But Clint Darden has had chronic serious gut issues for years, and I know he’s very very mild with his gear use now. Some of his greatest lifts are behind him, but he’s continued to make progress in other ways. Casey Garrison was a big 242 raw powerlifter & great benchpresser, but after UC he had to downsize a lot and never got back to his old numbers. Chris Bumstead has managed to become the best in the world in his class, and I know he has mentioned he has to be very careful with his gear use and controlling his stress/worry around his Olympia runs to minimize the impact when he flares up.

So I think it’s a huge hurdle, but some people choose to walk away and others try to find a way around their limitations.

Vigorous Steve has mentioned there is a HUGE difference in inflammation markers based on whether he uses true pharma gear with proper carrier oils vs ugl. And the more oil you use, the bigger this issue becomes.
Awesome, thank you

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My friend has a really bad case of it. Almost died when he was younger, fairing much better now.

Actually anabolic steroids are immunosuppressive afaik (however take it with a grain of salt) and usually ulcerarive collitis patients are given immunosuppresants (i know he is taking them). I myself can attest because i am almost constantly down with some kind of a flu while on. Nothing severe, just a nuisance.

Also he claims he was given some kind of anabolic whike he was in the hospital in coma to prevent more severe atrophy. Claims he started growing beard from it, dont know what to make of it. He was still a kid (14 yo) so only anavar comes to my mind.

Btw thats the kind of autoimmune condition that usually gets triggered out of the blue.

If your case is anything like his, your diet will be severely restricted. 7 years later he still cant eat anything he wants.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was using primarily injectables, and had a few trials of some orals along the way (which did mostly nothing, surprisingly... dbol, anadrol I did not notice any differences). Makes me wonder if thats why the oral prednisone didn't have an effect on my disease, because when they started my on injectable steroid treatment in the hospital, the symptoms started getting better.

And the flare up started in the middle of my PCT when my T was completely bottomed out ablut 2 months after my last pin of test-prop. I recently started TRT 1 month ago currently on 100mg cyp per week.
2 months after last test prop jab? That would be way longer than its elimination life.

Its is a very vulnerable time for flaring post cycle, and when considering the free androgen index tanks and if the ratio of remaining androgen:estrogens gets low enough then you are facing a serious pro-flammatory environment for this disease.

Were you using any maintenance medication such as 5-asa’s at all? It sounds like you let the flare run and get worse for a while before you sort help (i have also been guilty of this in the past), feel for you man. Its going to be a **** few months, but you will bounce back.

Pm me if you want some strategies I have developed over the years (remission for over 3.5 years now), particularly when exogenous hormones are involved.

A lot of broscience responses in this thread, i love blanket statements that its genetics lmao. Like being fat and unable to lose weight is genetics...smfh

Obviously this is a serious, in most cases life long disease, that you need to work with a gastroenterologist to get under-control and remain under control.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2 months after last test prop jab? That would be way longer than its elimination life.

Its is a very vulnerable time for flaring post cycle, and when considering the free androgen index tanks and if the ratio of remaining androgen:estrogens gets low enough then you are facing a serious pro-flammatory environment for this disease.

Were you using any maintenance medication such as 5-asa’s at all? It sounds like you let the flare run and get worse for a while before you sort help (i have also been guilty of this in the past), feel for you man. Its going to be a **** few months, but you will bounce back.

Pm me if you want some strategies I have developed over the years (remission for over 3.5 years now), particularly when exogenous hormones are involved.

A lot of broscience responses in this thread, i love blanket statements that its genetics lmao. Like being fat and unable to lose weight is genetics...smfh

Obviously this is a serious, in most cases life long disease, that you need to work with a gastroenterologist to get under-control and remain under control.
This ☝ and what @Hyde said.

Anabolics have multiple pathways in which they can affect your gut. I mean, aas has an impact on the whole body, we tend to forget that. And that means everything. In regards to the gut: motility (via serotonin and adrenergic system), inflammation (as has been mentioned above), kidneys and liver, and if we are talking about orals, dont even look at them if you have gut problems. They'll cause UC in all by them selfs. Also stuff like gut dysbiosis (sibo, sifo) ... I'm never touching orals bc of this again.

If you have severe uc, be very mindful about blast's.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

that statement meant that pretty much every study shows that ulcerative colitis is hereditary and The most significant risk factor for the development of it is a family history. OBVIOUSLY environmental variables are involved and will trigger it. I just thought he was blaming steroids. Which obviously is absurd. Did steroids trigger something already existing.. yes, sure.

Last edited:
Codybenz

Codybenz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Pretty sure this is what has Robert Frank in the hospital for 36 days and counting. He almost died a couple of time from it during this hospital stay.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Never heard of steroids causing that. Although some orals do mess with my stomache.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
. Did steroids trigger something already existing.. yes, sure.
They caused the flare up, but they did not create his uc. I think this much is obvious. Besides, he stated in his op that he had uc before he started aas.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another vote for Hyde's description of inflammatory exacerbation. You have an inflammatory disease, increase oxidative stress with more aggressive workouts, add stress of pct, sounds like a recipe for a flare up.

On the other side of things, I bet TRT would reduce instances of inflammatory bowel flare ups. Just a gut feeling, no medical evidence to support that idea.

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
I agree, I think bottomed out T a couple of months ago put me in a pretty bad place, I had no sex drive at all, stress from work, and some other minor factors contributing, but I'm happy to be on TRT now. Hopefully I can get this under control and try minor injectables later down the road without worrying about PCT again. It's possible that the covid vaccine I got about a month ago interfered with my immune system enough to cause a flare considing its an autoimmune disorder. And when I got to the hospital on Tuesday, I was told I have COVID! ! (No symptoms). Crazy year...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I agree, I think bottomed out T a couple of months ago put me in a pretty bad place, I had no sex drive at all, stress from work, and some other minor factors contributing, but I'm happy to be on TRT now. Hopefully I can get this under control and try minor injectables later down the road without worrying about PCT again. It's possible that the covid vaccine I got about a month ago interfered with my immune system enough to cause a flare considing its an autoimmune disorder. And when I got to the hospital on Tuesday, I was told I have COVID! ! (No symptoms). Crazy year...
COVID isn’t fully understood yet, but we do know it has shown the potential to be very inflammatory and attack different tissues at variable rates in different individuals. Just now getting over it after 3 weeks of symptoms myself, and a very peculiar one was significant pain & persistent inflammation in my left hip - a site totally devoid of any previous injury, curiously. Wife had a ton of pain & inflammation in her hamstring/glute tie-ins, especially the left, again no previous training injuries there.

No surprises here, but getting a virus is generally bad for your overall health lol.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Another vote for Hyde's description of inflammatory exacerbation. You have an inflammatory disease, increase oxidative stress with more aggressive workouts, add stress of pct, sounds like a recipe for a flare up.

On the other side of things, I bet TRT would reduce instances of inflammatory bowel flare ups. Just a gut feeling, no medical evidence to support that idea.
You are correct - there is actually some emerging evidence to show lowering SHBG and increasing the Free androgen index leads to significant remission of UC activity.

One example: https://scholars.direct/Articles/gastroenterology/jgr-3-019.php?jid=gastroenterology

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
Thank you everyone...im still in the hospital. It looks like there are some studies showing a link between low T and higher inflammatory responses
Screenshot_20210420-044603_Google.jpg

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I randomly found this study, that actually found, that treating people with aas, improved UC a lot.

Might be worth a read:

Men are prescribed parenteral testosterone in dosages of 80 to 120 mg intramuscularly (IM) per week. The dosage may be doubled in severe cases. Implanted testosterone pellet dosages are 600 to 800 mg every 8 to 12 weeks. To this, nandrolone 40 mg IM once or twice per week and stanozolol 10 to 25 mg per week IM are added. If needed, oxandrolone 2.5 to 10 mg daily is added to the men. For the most severe cases that were not responsive to purely anabolic therapy, human growth hormone at 0.1 mg subcutaneously was added daily.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I randomly found this study, that actually found, that treating people with aas, improved UC a lot.

Might be worth a read:

Men are prescribed parenteral testosterone in dosages of 80 to 120 mg intramuscularly (IM) per week. The dosage may be doubled in severe cases. Implanted testosterone pellet dosages are 600 to 800 mg every 8 to 12 weeks. To this, nandrolone 40 mg IM once or twice per week and stanozolol 10 to 25 mg per week IM are added. If needed, oxandrolone 2.5 to 10 mg daily is added to the men. For the most severe cases that were not responsive to purely anabolic therapy, human growth hormone at 0.1 mg subcutaneously was added daily.
Ohhhhhh look at that....

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Might be worth a read:

Randomly stumbled across it from my post of this study in thread a few posts back??

Bballspree88

Awards
I know this is a dated post. I don’t have UC but I suffer from Crohn's. It sucks having constant pain not being able to lift for hours some days or at all if I’m flared up. It’s tough but I have to be honest I suffered all my life and once I was put on a TRT dose I honestly started to feel some relief. It was like my internal gut was sore and recovering the first few weeks then strengthened up where I wasn’t struggling to get it out anymore per se. Spare you the details I know it’s a low dose but I honestly just searched this online and came to this post. I honestly just feel like a new man so I dunno just my two cents..

Bballspree88

Awards
I know this is a dated post. I don’t have UC but I suffer from Crohn's. It sucks having constant pain not being able to lift for hours some days or at all if I’m flared up. It’s tough but I have to be honest I suffered all my life and once I was put on a TRT dose I honestly started to feel some relief. It was like my internal gut was sore and recovering the first few weeks then strengthened up where I wasn’t struggling to get it out anymore per se. Spare you the details I know it’s a low dose but I honestly just searched this online and came to this post. I honestly just feel like a new man so I dunno just my two cents..
Oh and the dose I started on was 250 Sust and 40 anavar on my own then my results came in and I was put on a TRT dose of 200 Test Cyp. Now I’m using both and feel great!

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
Oh and the dose I started on was 250 Sust and 40 anavar on my own then my results came in and I was put on a TRT dose of 200 Test Cyp. Now I’m using both and feel great!
I'm quite sold on the fact that low testosterone badly affects UC and Crohns if you are gentically predisposed. I came off cycle january 2020 and 2-3 months later I'm having the worst UC symptoms I've ever had. TRT leveled me out and im symptom free since April