Alternative to squats and deads

smith22

Awards
I have been lifting 5years and always squated and deadlifted loved them... recently i was squating and just got a shooting pain couldnt walk for like 3days went to the dr they said its a herniated disk its been about 3weeks sense this i still feel alittle pain when i move around funny in my back... im running a cycle of xtren soon and i have to be squating and deadlifting wondering if u guys had any good recomp lifts to help recover my lower back.. or u think i should try squating and deadlifting really light for a week or so??

BrYmAsTeR17

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have been lifting 5years and always squated and deadlifted loved them... recently i was squating and just got a shooting pain couldnt walk for like 3days went to the dr they said its a herniated disk its been about 3weeks sense this i still feel alittle pain when i move around funny in my back... im running a cycle of xtren soon and i have to be squating and deadlifting wondering if u guys had any good recomp lifts to help recover my lower back.. or u think i should try squating and deadlifting really light for a week or so??
There are none bro..sorry but no other excercise will release this much GH and work this many muscles. Leg press is good but it's not as good as squat..

adawg4929

Awards
  • Established
theres nothing that will create the release in hormones liek those two exercises though a lot of exercises can stregnthen the posterior chain just like them. (SL Deads, Good mornings are two places to start, but then again with an injured lower back it will be hard).

Can you not deadlift? I hurt my back an couldnt squat but after a while i was able to deadlift again. I really feel like although i cant squat, being able to deadlift definitly helps.

smith22

Awards
theres nothing that will create the release in hormones liek those two exercises though a lot of exercises can stregnthen the posterior chain just like them. (SL Deads, Good mornings are two places to start, but then again with an injured lower back it will be hard).

Can you not deadlift? I hurt my back an couldnt squat but after a while i was able to deadlift again. I really feel like although i cant squat, being able to deadlift definitly helps.
it started as i could deadlift but i couldnt squat then it started hurtin n dead but i could squat its wierd it injured during squat im yet to try deadlift or squat yet i might try dead tomarrow light n see how it feels

grega60438

grega60438

Awards
I injured L4&L5, with a ladder, was in a wheel chair for about 9 months, and two back surgeries later, I was eventually able to walk, just barely.
I eventually bought a home gym (Bodycraft K2) with cables. I use a belt and secure myself to the bench and then do rows on my back using the cables. I also do squats on the K2, but it is a machine, so that it is very controlled, and I am very careful. I just kept working my way up and now I am squatting 200lbs and looking for more. I will never be able to do that with free weights as the surgeries removed some bone, and I may never walk if I screw up. I can't do deadlifts either, but I do very slow hyperextensions and I have worked up to 60lbs. I am really slow, careful and listen to my body. I believe just using light weights aided the recovery process.
You may have to get something like Celebrex or equivalent to help some of the inflammation, so that you can heal. Celebrex is an NSAID of the COX-2 inhibitor class, prescription only. Aleve is an over the counter NSAID. Be aware though that some have the theory that NSAID's may very slightly hinder gains. I did not find any scientific proof, so it may or may not be true. But for me I have no choice anyway.
So in summary, I suggest using a machine and cables for the anything that hurts your back. Light weights until it heals, if it hurts, less weight. IMO at least moving improves the healing. Consider a NSAID to help with inflammation, so that it will heal faster.
A herniated disk can be serious, I wouldn't push it. Take care of yourself.
I hope you feel better!

carnivalhobo

Awards
As to the hormonal response, who cares. Nobody has ever shown that the small hormonal spikes to training mean a thing and recent research is starting to show that it is simply meaningless. Whether squats or GH raises hormones a little bit more simply isn’t relevant as far as I’m concerned.
Thats from lyle mcD, so dont stress the hormone stuff. Be careful subbing leg press though, maybe try 1 leg at a time as lyle suggests in this article...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/squat-versus-leg-press-for-big-legs.html