Aging well?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like 10 days of losing gains ?

Interesting tho, I could handle 2-3 day fast quite easily I believe.

Dont keep any secrets, let us all in.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like 10 days of losing gains ��
No muscle is lost during a water fast as long as you have sufficient bodyfat. The growth hormone starvation response prevents muscle loss.

Interesting tho, I could handle 2-3 day fast quite easily I believe.
Day 3 is the hardest. Once you pass day 3, you can fast indefinitely with relative ease -- hunger is gone and energy is high. As long as you have any excess bodyfat, you'll have plenty of fuel.

Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Awards
You mean it's not true because you've never heard of it? That's a pretty egotistical view.

Here:

Fasting and Caloric Restriction in Cancer Prevention and Treatment.
"periodic fasting (PF), fasting-mimicking diets (FMDs), and dietary restriction (DR) without a reduction in calories are emerging as interventions with the potential to be widely used to prevent and treat cancer."
Recent Results Cancer Res. 2016;207:241-66.

Annual Fasting; the Early Calories Restriction for Cancer Prevention
"removal of cancer stem cells can be carried out through early Calories Restriction with Annual Fasting (AF) before tumor development or progress."
Bioimpacts. 2012; 2(4): 213–215.

Fasting Cycles Retard Growth of Tumors and Sensitize a Range of Cancer Cell Types to Chemotherapy
"These studies suggest that multiple cycles of fasting promote differential stress sensitization in a wide range of tumors and could potentially replace or augment the efficacy of certain chemotherapy drugs in the treatment of various cancers.
Sci Transl Med. 2012 Mar 7; 4(124)

Study #2 clearly demonstrates that fasting has the potential to prevent cancer. Moreover, there are additional on-going studies I am aware of being conducted with a high cancer-risk population sample comparing periodic fasting to non-fasting, which are intended to demonstrate that fasting prevents cancer.
No need to be a dick about it guy. I have heard of it, but the key word in all these studies is “potentially.” I agree with that premise. It is very naive and shows wishful thinking to ignore the word potentially. I wish you were right. I understand you are trying to drum up customers for your business, but it is irresponsible to state it guarantees being cancer free. If you have a business and health is your product, then you have a responsibility to be truthful. Again, I hope you are correct, but these studies do not support a 100%guarantee, which is what you are selling.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No need to be a dick about it guy. I have heard of it, but the key word in all these studies is “potentially.” I agree with that premise. It is very naive and shows wishful thinking to ignore the word potentially. I wish you were right. I understand you are trying to drum up customers for your business, but it is irresponsible to state it guarantees being cancer free. If you have a business and health is your product, then you have a responsibility to be truthful. Again, I hope you are correct, but these studies do no support a 100%huarantee, which is what you are selling.
Drumming up business is for paying forum sponsors.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is there anything to take for my bursitis in my right shoulder. The pain is noticeable now, always there.

leosatriani

Awards
I look at aging well as in youthful looking, skin, hair etc

Anabolics generally work for anyone, at any age.

I'm more interested in keeping a youthful appearance, and my health.

I'm 35, 96kgs and fairly lean. Absolutely no cardio, or diet. Just weights, and natural.

Gives me room to explore those options in my late 40s, 50s I guess! Just don't feel the need at the moment for that path, but I am interested in getting a headstart on anti-aging.

Any supplement recommendations?

General well being, Life Extension Advanced Packs look good. I found them for $35usd.

Greens powders I've started adding.

I know of a new anti aging supplement coming out soon, which will be insanely good. It contains cycloastragenol and BPC-157 among many others.
Start learning how not to care about it so much. It’s a lot easier. Some people just seem to age better than others. Stay active and healthy and cut out the magic powders and pills. Try not to get too heavy is what someone smarter than I suggested. Learn to deal with stress and not to worry so much.

leosatriani

Awards
No need to be a dick about it guy. I have heard of it, but the key word in all these studies is “potentially.” I agree with that premise. It is very naive and shows wishful thinking to ignore the word potentially. I wish you were right. I understand you are trying to drum up customers for your business, but it is irresponsible to state it guarantees being cancer free. If you have a business and health is your product, then you have a responsibility to be truthful. Again, I hope you are correct, but these studies do not support a 100%guarantee, which is what you are selling.
Yeah when I saw the Guarantee word and then the book follow up mentioned I kinda giggled a little. Someone has to tell the cancer research teams the news lol. Just imagine... water was the cure!

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No muscle is lost during a water fast as long as you have sufficient bodyfat. The growth hormone starvation response prevents muscle loss.

Day 3 is the hardest. Once you pass day 3, you can fast indefinitely with relative ease -- hunger is gone and energy is high. As long as you have any excess bodyfat, you'll have plenty of fuel.
What is excessive bodyfat? I'm probably 11-12%

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
What is excessive bodyfat? I'm probably 11-12%
Anything beyond what the body needs to function -- ie, any level of bodyfat where fasting results in the loss of lean tissue. For men, this is around 4-5%.

Fasting without proper bodyfat will cause profound and unrelenting hunger. Normally, hunger vanishes around day 3-4 of fasting and doesn't return until bodyfat levels become critically low.

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
Yeah when I saw the Guarantee word and then the book follow up mentioned I kinda giggled a little. Someone has to tell the cancer research teams the news lol. Just imagine... water was the cure!
Maybe if you actually bothered to read the published studies, you'd realize that some very well-known and highly-respected cancer researchers have been saying this for almost a decade, and have piles of evidence to back this up.

Another Dunning-Kruger nominee...

Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Awards
Maybe if you actually bothered to read the published studies, you'd realize that some very well-known and highly-respected cancer researchers have been saying this for almost a decade, and have piles of evidence to back this up.

Another Dunning-Kruger nominee...
Sorry Spurfy. It’s he word guarantees that’s the issue. You still stand by the word “guarantees”?

Zippy

Awards
I heard a podcast with Doctor Valter Longo and he was saying the same sort of thing, fasting can literally prevent, and even cure some cancers(not all) and he also cane up with a diet called the fasting mimicking diet that can induce the same type of response as a full water fast. I think it’s something to do with some tumours requiring glucose to survive.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I heard a podcast with Doctor Valter Longo and he was saying the same sort of thing, fasting can literally prevent, and even cure some cancers(not all) and he also cane up with a diet called the fasting mimicking diet that can induce the same type of response as a full water fast. I think it’s something to do with some tumours requiring glucose to survive.
Yes. The ketogenic diet will accomplish this

Spurfy

Awards
  • Established
but fasting can?
Yes.

It's a lack of insulin and a lack of dietary protein that triggers autophagy. Autophagy is what causes the destruction of tumor cells via fasting. Fasting provides a 1-2 punch: Starving tumors of fuel (glucose) and triggering the body to "eat" the tumors (autophagy).

Some tumors can adapt to using ketones as fuel, but in the total absence of calories, autophagy will still be working to destroy the tumors.

kl1234

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes.

It's a lack of insulin and a lack of dietary protein that triggers autophagy. Autophagy is what causes the destruction of tumor cells via fasting. Fasting provides a 1-2 punch: Starving tumors of fuel (glucose) and triggering the body to "eat" the tumors (autophagy).

Some tumors can adapt to using ketones as fuel, but in the total absence of calories, autophagy will still be working to destroy the tumors.
I’m curious as to if a 16/8 IF would be included in this as well? I find if I push it any longer than 16 hours- I lose too much size. Thoughts?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought i'd bump this,

Things i'm considering is 16:8 fasting, as I'm rarely hungry anyways. Im just unsure how it will affect my training TBH.

theguerillachemist posted top 5 supplements every bodybuilder should take, thoughts?

Ubiquinol 200-400mg
Arjuna extract 1500mg
NAC 1800mg
Fish oils 4-6g
Vitamin K2 90mcg
Hon mentions - Garlic, Curcumin, Ginger, Probotics

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I thought i'd bump this,

Things i'm considering is 16:8 fasting, as I'm rarely hungry anyways. Im just unsure how it will affect my training TBH.

theguerillachemist posted top 5 supplements every bodybuilder should take, thoughts?

Ubiquinol 200-400mg
Arjuna extract 1500mg
NAC 1800mg
Fish oils 4-6g
Vitamin K2 90mcg
Hon mentions - Garlic, Curcumin, Ginger, Probotics
I like those, and add
TUDCA
D3

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Things I'm considering:

Where I live, we have more 100 year olds, that are still productive and mobile than in Europe. I observed that all of them work their fields, plant -and harvest crops and feed their animals daily. I came to the conclusion that there must be a link. Tying his own life to a responsible task, something that depends on your actions is key. Who will water the plants or feed the animals when you don't stay up every morning?

Other:
-Epitalon
-blood sugar control with either Berberine or Metformin
-Vitamin D from sunlight
-Vitamins and Minerals from proper nutrition
-Telmisartan for lowering BP and to keep up insulin sensitivity
-pesticide free food from my farm

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Things I'm considering:

Where I live, we have more 100 year olds, that are still productive and mobile than in Europe. I observed that all of them work their fields, plant -and harvest crops and feed their animals daily. I came to the conclusion that there must be a link. Tying his own life to a responsible task, something that depends on your actions is key. Who will water the plants or feed the animals when you don't stay up every morning?

Other:
-Epitalon
-blood sugar control with either Berberine or Metformin
-Vitamin D from sunlight
-Vitamins and Minerals from proper nutrition
-Telmisartan for lowering BP and to keep up insulin sensitivity
-pesticide free food from my farm
Yes. Sense of belonging and purpose tied with community will lead to a long life

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im heading into age 52 this year, I feel excellent. (A little beat up after 39 years of weight training).
I feel people get old when maybe 70 comes around where you have to probably re-think some things as far as training is concerned.
I still have plenty of time to improve!

View attachment 159844
0731181346.jpg

44 year old powerlifter-strongman. 6'6, 360. Stronger than I have ever been. I still got it hard 6 days a week.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In the comments he mentioned TUDCA should only be run during cycles.

I agree with D3.
Ive done 750 mgs with bloodwork and it lower liver enzymes..yes i had before and afters..before tuda 20 or so points higher on ast and alt,, after in range..think i did tudca for about a month Olympis labs brand

anyone do 250 mgs tudca a day on orals and kept liver enzymes good?

Pride89

Pride89

Awards
  • Established
Ive done 750 mgs with bloodwork and it lower liver enzymes..yes i had before and afters..before tuda 20 or so points higher on ast and alt,, after in range..think i did tudca for about a month Olympis labs brand

anyone do 250 mgs tudca a day on orals and kept liver enzymes good?
I have before and after bloods from an oral M-sten & trest cycle, i did 500-750mg tudca Ed together with a cycle support that had NAC in it,
Liver numbers was Better post cycle then before the xycle :)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have before and after bloods from an oral M-sten & trest cycle, i did 500-750mg tudca Ed together with a cycle support that had NAC in it,
Liver numbers was Better post cycle then before the xycle :)
what brand tudca did you use?

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found a product called GEROPROTECT® Longevity A.I

It's interesting,

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) [from borage oil (seed)]

300 mg

Ginsenosides Rg3 [from Asian ginseng (Panax) C.A. Mey. extract (stem, leaf) (std. to 10% ginsenosides Rg3)]

20 mg

Withaferin A [from ashwagandha extract (root, leaf) (std. to 3% withaferin A)]

12 mg

GLA is easy to source, working on the other W

I've read a bit about Arjuna extract too, however difficult finding a source

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I found a product called GEROPROTECT Longevity A.I

It's interesting,

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) [from borage oil (seed)]

300 mg

Ginsenosides Rg3 [from Asian ginseng (Panax) C.A. Mey. extract (stem, leaf) (std. to 10% ginsenosides Rg3)]

20 mg

Withaferin A [from ashwagandha extract (root, leaf) (std. to 3% withaferin A)]

12 mg

GLA is easy to source, working on the other W

I've read a bit about Arjuna extract too, however difficult finding a source
If you are looking for Arjuna you can find it at Swanson. They don’t make it but they carry it.