abs vs. obliques

lift or die

Awards
I was just wonder if anyone had any input on this topic. I wanted to know if anyone does obliques and abs separate or if they do them together. Also what is the most effective? Thanks..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Training the entire core is far more important (this includes the erector spinae).

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was just wonder if anyone had any input on this topic. I wanted to know if anyone does obliques and abs separate or if they do them together. Also what is the most effective? Thanks..
Every time you do a "core" or "abs" exercise you are going to work your ENTIRE abdominal region, whether you are trying to "target" one specific muscle or not (i.e. even doing crunches works the obliques). As Ryan said, training your CORE (i.e. the entire anterior and posterior section from your shoulder girdle down to your hips) is far more effective than simply trying to target your "abs".

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

rantorcha

rantorcha

Awards
  • Established
You know, some people can work out obliques and not build their sides, but I see as I get a little older the more I train obliques, I feel I am getting muscle-love-handles. And I just dieted for a show so it isn't fat. lol

If you do decide to train obliques directly, keep an eye on that.

JassUSMC

JassUSMC

Awards
I do a core circuit every other day (technically my off days).

I usually pick 5 or 6 exercises. My favs are:

Weighted V-Ups
Weighted Russian Twists
Planks

A typical core workout for me would look like this:

Weighted V-Ups, 12 reps
Chinnies, burn out
Plank, 60sec
Russian Twists, weighted 15 reps
Weighted Side Extensions, 8 reps
Side Plank, 45 sec per side
--3 Times, resting one min at end of circuit.