A question BCAAs for you intelligent folk

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I know you're all an intelligent lot around here, so views would be welcome on the following.

BCAAs blends, like Xtend (using currently) are insulinogenic, ie cause a rise in insulin. I can understand the rational for taking this during training and post workout, but what about cardio?

I train with weights on an empty stomach in the morning, followed by a CV session. Now if I contiue taking the BCAAs whilst doing my 30 - 40 mins CV will I blunt fat burning, as insulin prevents the breakdown of fat. Could it be working against me? Would I be better only consuming pre-weights or early in the session and not taking during cardio session? Any views?

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
I like BCAA's without the sugar. But, I'm sure one of the "intelligent folk" you refer to will be answering soon.

greaser

Awards
I know you're all an intelligent lot around here, so views would be welcome on the following.

BCAAs blends, like Xtend (using currently) are insulinogenic, ie cause a rise in insulin. I can understand the rational for taking this during training and post workout, but what about cardio?

I train with weights on an empty stomach in the morning, followed by a CV session. Now if I contiue taking the BCAAs whilst doing my 30 - 40 mins CV will I blunt fat burning, as insulin prevents the breakdown of fat. Could it be working against me? Would I be better only consuming pre-weights or early in the session and not taking during cardio session? Any views?
Where are you getting the information that Xtend causes a spike in insulin? It's not flavored with sugar. I think maybe glutamine causes a rise in insulin, but I doubt it's that significant.

And you can always just buy bulk BCAA and mix it with water and some kind of zero calorie drink powder, like Crystal Light, which is what I do.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where are you getting the information that Xtend causes a spike in insulin? It's not flavored with sugar. I think maybe glutamine causes a rise in insulin, but I doubt it's that significant.

And you can always just buy bulk BCAA and mix it with water and some kind of zero calorie drink powder, like Crystal Light, which is what I do.
If any Amino in the BCAA can be linked to insulin, it would be the L-Leucine. I'm not sure about an insulin spike if X-tend has no sugar, but in terms of the Leucine, what can happen is that during your post workout recovery, the presence of L-Leucine can create a greater release of insulin along with increased insulin sensitivity of insulin receptors.

Post workout nutrition is a debatable issue whether you should or shouldn't carb up to spike the insulin. Some believe only protein and good fats are necessary, some believe in immediate muscle refeed by spiking insulin with carbs (and protein) where L-Leucine is a key player in having in effect of the role of insulin.

I think no matter what side of the aisle you stand on the issue, I believe there's a general consensus that getting BCAA's is a good thing, pre, intra and/or post.

As far as cardio goes, if you're working out on an empty stomach, then pre and intra BCAA will prevent catabolism. The only time I'd suggest taking BCAA post cardio is if you're performing HIIT. HIIT elicits a lot of the same effects as weight lifting upon the body, such as the insulin factor. Static cardio does not.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
layne norton published a paper on the effect of carbohydrates on fat loss during cardio, or he may have just referenced one, but the study found that there wasnt a significant change in fat lost whether the person had carbs or not pre cardio, and the glycemic index didnt matter much either if i remember correctly,

esentailly you are over analyzing the amount of insulin that will be secreted by ingesting Aminos, also remember that when you do high intensity cardio you are burning more glycogen first and in low intensity cardio you are burning more fat, think fight or flight your body will use the easiest macro to breakdown in a high intensity situation which means CARBS

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes, bcaa's spike insulin a bit. Don't worry about it.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look at my post on BCAA. I take 3 grams pre mid post all together now. To much leucine is not good remember. Look at layne's pp.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I train at 6:30 in the morning hence empty stomach. I can't get up early enough to eat and digest before the workout. I've training like this for over a year, so its not a problem as Ive made good gains.

My only concern was the rise in insulin due to BCAAs. I know extend doesn't have any carbs, but as some of you have stated leucine can cuase an increase in insulin and I remeber reading (I think Lyle McDonald) that even a small rise in insulin can stop fat metabolism, hence my question because I sip on xtend throughout my cardio workout.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The question more boils down to how much in BCAAs you are taking in over what span of time. There would be a huge difference between taking 10g in over an hour of cardio vs taking in 50g in one chugged drink pre cardio. 10g of glucose spread over an hour wouldn't raise insulin levels all that significantly unless you have other health issues, much less BCAAs. But yes, leucine enhances your body's natural insulin production, you get approximately as much insulin with 100g of glucose as with 25g of glucose and 5g leucine. But leucine by itself without additional carb source wouldn't raise it too tremendously. L-Alanine on the other hand will, as your body converts that directly to glucose rapidly

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Easy. Appreciate your input and knowledge. I take around 14g over 1.5 hours. Half during my weights taking 40 min and half during my cardio 50 mins. So 7g over 50 mins. Hopefully this shouldn't make too much of a difference. I might lower the dose slightly and try to have early during the weights sessions.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

glucogenic, and insulinogenic are different

Leucine exibits this effect with CaRBohydrates (raising insulin) , without it it can induce ketogenisis

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
layne norton published a paper on the effect of carbohydrates on fat loss during cardio, or he may have just referenced one, but the study found that there wasnt a significant change in fat lost whether the person had carbs or not pre cardio, and the glycemic index didnt matter much either if i remember correctly,

esentailly you are over analyzing the amount of insulin that will be secreted by ingesting Aminos, also remember that when you do high intensity cardio you are burning more glycogen first and in low intensity cardio you are burning more fat, think fight or flight your body will use the easiest macro to breakdown in a high intensity situation which means CARBS
the reason why there are different answers to the bolded is due to liver glycogen content IMO which regulated blood sugar.

thats why POST workout and upon rising (fasted) are best for cardio

narraboth

Awards
  • Established
I personally don't think BCAAs will make a huge difference even it lifts your insulin a bit.

I even doubt doing cardio with empty stomach would be nice. If I do cardio in the morning without having even a cup of juice, my cardio would make me uncomfortable. A little bit sugar will let me do cardio longer, which consume more than that bit of sugar in the end.