A question about deadlifting

IPOM

IPOM

Awards
I mainly use SLDL to work my back and hams. I keep hearing people refer to deadlifts as a back exercise... Are they referring to lower/mid back or lats? Reason being, I never feel like my lats are working when I deadlift. Also, which would be better for back development; SLDL or regular deadlift? Thanks!

j05441

Awards
Not too sure but DLs in general are a full body. I feel them in my upper back and low back the most with forarms.

I say regular only cause you can do a lot more weight

IPOM

IPOM

Awards
Not too sure but DLs in general are a full body. I feel them in my upper back and low back the most with forarms.

I say regular only cause you can do a lot more weight
Thanks for the reply. The only difference I can see between them is that with regulars you bend at the knee (which will work some quadricep) and you touch the weight on the floor. The arm position and range of motion with the upper body is pretty much identical. I like doing SLDLs, but if there's some advantage over them in doing regulars, I'm game.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The range of motion for the upper back shouldn't be identical between the two. Deadlifts are started much more upright with a good arch in the lower back. They're very different movements.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Which is better for back development... Of the 2, DLs. But are not movements the target just the back. DLs work mostly the hole body where as SLDLs target the lower back and posterior chain... Glutes hams and the like.

When I'm PLn I only dead lift 1x every 3-4 months... Other then that I do lots of other work to work around doin deads. To keep my DL strong and not do deads I do lots of back work, top to bottom. Making sure to work the hams in a lever action not a curling motion. By doin this iv pulled 722 at 218 (in a comp) and I'm over 6ft. So if you want a strong DL keep workin the SLDL.

pmdied

Awards
I find trap bar dead lifts benefit me more in the mid- to upper back region.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Both SLDL and conventional deadlifts are a hip dominant movement. Yes, they both place an emphasis on the upper and lower back (with a greater emphasis w conventional deads due to a greater ROM and TUT)..however, the whole notion that deadlifts are a back exercise is old bodybuilding rhetoric.

Br

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I feel like many ppl throw DL's with back because leg day most ppl do squats, and with how tiring and exhausting squats are, deadlifts are just as if not more tiring/exhausting. I would not want to do deadlifts and squats on the same day.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Both SLDL and conventional deadlifts are a hip dominant movement. Yes, they both place an emphasis on the upper and lower back (with a greater emphasis w conventional deads due to a greater ROM and TUT)..however, the whole notion that deadlifts are a back exercise is old bodybuilding rhetoric.

Br
Agreed...deads balance out everything man, I prefer them on leg day, especially stiff legged...but I switch types every other week...I like rack pulls for back...a diff type of deadlift

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed...deads balance out everything man, I prefer them on leg day, especially stiff legged...but I switch types every other week...I like rack pulls for back...a diff type of deadlift
Some days I like to do deadlifts with rack pulls followed. Talk about a workout.

j05441

Awards
Just crious do you have a platform to work with? Or are you controlling the weight down?

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Some days I like to do deadlifts with rack pulls followed. Talk about a workout.
Dang ha I couldn't do that..I do p.h.a.t training so that would kill me haha...I like the stretch from rack pulls

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dang ha I couldn't do that..I do p.h.a.t training so that would kill me haha...I like the stretch from rack pulls
I think myself and one other dude in my gym do rack pulls and everytime I do ppl look at me all weird like "what the f is he doing" lol. Only thing I say about rack pulls is make sure if ppl do them the safety bars are at knees height or a little below.

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
Haha same here..yea I put it a lil below the knee shot much though

IPOM

IPOM

Awards
I did some regulars yesterday and man, what a difference! I've got sore muscles that haven't been sore in a while. I think I may rotate between SLDL and regulars just to keep them both strong.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
crazy thought here, but instead of a leg day where you do squats how about a squat day where you do muscles that need to more work to catch up with the strong and big stuff. or instead of a back day where you deadlifts a deadlift day where you do stuff to make the deadlift stronger.

or what i have done at times, man day. where i do squats and deadlifts in the same workout. do some facepulls, abs, and call that **** good. lol.

seriously though. the only reason why i would do SLDL over deads is that i need to do it to bring up a weak link to make my deadlift stronger and minimize injury. but then i am looking at strength over a pretty body. with my ugly mug a pretty body would be like putting make up on a pig though, lol. ;)