A Little Old to be deadlifting...! Healing a injury

Diesel4874

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I keep tearing a muscle in left lower back/glute area when doing deadlifts heavy or lighter in high reps. My Dr and Good Friend who is a Physical Therapist say im getting a little too old to be deadlifting 375 4 or 5 times. It is one of my favorite exericises but I gotta admit its a terrible 4 or 5 days of pain. I love lifting heavy. Im open to reasonable suggestions.

A brief history the side I consistently injure is the same side I had my left leg rebuilt from a pretty serious car accident 19 years ago today. As a result my left leg is just a little bit shorter. I never injure my right side or my good side.

Ive been considering strongly starting anti-aging with Somatropin i believe its called. Anyone have any luck healing a injury with this stuff. The clinic said this is what its for???

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
You could try it for sure.

Here are some healing compounds I know of and wouldn't hesitate to try heal with:

BPC-157
Thymosin Beta-4
1GF-1
And of course exogenous or growth hormone secretagogues

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Before using anything from a clinic, why don't you change up your workout? Start with some core and balance work. This stuff seems easy to look at but its actually pretty tough. My son is a high school pitcher. I watched the off season workouts the players would do at one of our local gyms under the instruction of a sports trainer. Pretty intense body weight workouts. What I'm getting at is these type of workouts may be helpful in strengthening your core and helping with your back. I myself love lifting heavy and it kills my right elbow. It sucks getting old. I'm 42 and feel every stupid thing I've done in my life!

Diesel4874

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thanks brother thats kinda what im working at right now with my trainer. Im eating a calorie deficit and wanted to see how my strength was holding up.

Im not into "your too old" answers.... Lol im gonna stick to getting my core back in shape like you said before I try again.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know what you mean man! I want to be active as hell when I'm in my 70's instead of laid up barely able to walk. Give that back time to heal, strengthen your core and you'll be back to heavy deadlifts in no time.

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
I keep tearing a muscle in left lower back/glute area when doing deadlifts heavy or lighter in high reps. My Dr and Good Friend who is a Physical Therapist say im getting a little too old to be deadlifting 375 4 or 5 times. It is one of my favorite exericises but I gotta admit its a terrible 4 or 5 days of pain. I love lifting heavy. Im open to reasonable suggestions.

A brief history the side I consistently injure is the same side I had my left leg rebuilt from a pretty serious car accident 19 years ago today. As a result my left leg is just a little bit shorter. I never injure my right side or my good side.

Ive been considering strongly starting anti-aging with Somatropin i believe its called. Anyone have any luck healing a injury with this stuff. The clinic said this is what its for???
Get on the 5/3/1 program. You will be lifting lighter for awhile and taking regularly scheduled deloads, which will all help with any nagging injury.

Oh yeah, and mobilize your body. Look up various preworkout routines for your lower body (and upper). Start with defranco's limber 11

ral

ral

Awards
Don't know if this helps but I switched from conventional deads to hex bar deadlifting, my back feels pretty good. I'm 41 by the way

warrior737

Awards
Regular hyper extensions always help me. Also using bands (if you have them). I love this for helping with weak lower back. Add weight as needed or use a barbell alone. Helps strengthen my lower back, glutes, and core.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do not know what age you are OP. I wonder if you warmup and stretch sufficiently before going for the heavy numbers.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do not know what age you are OP. I wonder if you warmup and stretch sufficiently before going for the heavy numbers.
Glad you brought that up! I can be the worlds worst at properly warming up sometimes. I think that's why my elbow is in the shape its in.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Bullshyt. I'm 51 and will be dl'ing 500 by the end of the year. You need a new doc and therapists. Give yourself time to heal. I was on HGH (prescribed) for about 2 years before it started fcking up my glucose levels. It's not the wonder drug everyone thinks it is...

cobri66

cobri66

Awards
I know what you mean man! I want to be active as hell when I'm in my 70's instead of laid up barely able to walk. Give that back time to heal, strengthen your core and you'll be back to heavy deadlifts in no time.
I'm with you..can't stand seeing people fighting over those motorized carts in WalMart and other places..I'll be damned if I'll use one of those things..

C Dub805

C Dub805

Awards
You're not too old to deadlift. You could be 20 years old and have sustained an impeding injury, so your age isn't the obstacle; it's the injury. I'm 40 and deadlift heavy once per week. I warm-up adequately and stretch adequately after my deadlift series. Proper form is key to longevity on this movement.