8 week program hypertrophy/strength

Sup3rb3ast

Awards
I'm thinking about doing a 4 day split for 4 weeks with reps around 4-6, then do 4 weeks with reps around 8-12, take a de-load/recovery week then repeat.

Anyone with any experience here?

reecew

Awards
  • Established
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Layne_Norton%27s_Power/Hypertrophy_Routine

This sounds like it may be good for you. Ive tried several hypertrophy routine's and some modified 5x5 routine's. And nothing has ever kicked my a$$ like this man. Im not kidding today was the shoulder/back/traps day for me. Lets just say if you do this properly truely superset it no rest at all and then 90second breaks between each superset and only 2-3minutes MAX between each excercise you will be experiencing some serious hurt! Reviews on it are great as far as strength/mass gains go its the best of both worlds i guess.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're going to have to be a lot more specific than just a rep range.

Sup3rb3ast

Awards
You're going to have to be a lot more specific than just a rep range.
Max-OT style first 4 weeks:
  • 3-4 sets per muscle group
  • 2 minute rest
  • 4 day split with:
  • chest/tris
  • back/bis
  • rest
  • shoulders/traps
  • legs
  • rest
Then on the second 4 weeks:
  • 2-3 sets per muscle group
  • 1 minute rest
  • same 4 day split

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Training for strength is generally in the 2-5 rep range and takes much longer rest with times from 3-5 minutes.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd suggest a few things.

1. Train your lower body twice a week. 48% of your muscle mass resides below the belly button, upon countless other benefits to placing equal emphasis on lower body compared to uppper body.

2. Perform an equal number pulling to pushing exercises. This means if you have two push days (chest and shoulders) you should have two push days (rows and pull up based).

3. Maybe try a simple linear periodization schedule. Start in sarcoplasmic hypertrophy with reps around 12-15 with 1 minute rest for 2 weeks. 3 weeks in the 7-10 range with 2 min rest, 3 weeks in the 3-5 range with 3+ min rest.

4. Keep the same main movements for the cycle, but alter your ancillary movements (arm work, isolation work, stabilizor/fixator work, core work) every 2-3 weeks. Next 8 week mesocycle, choose a different set of core exercises (like front squats in place of back squats, etc.)

Br