5 Supplements Scientifically Proven to Lower Blood Sugar

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Stats like this tend to increase anyway, often corresponding with an aging population and population increase in general.

They still have very low incidence rates of diabetes when compared to almost the entire western world
Also, “on the rise” when starting from “very low” still isn’t much.

I’ve been hearing that a lot of countries are starting the diabesity thing likely due to them adapting more western type lifestyles.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Jiigzz and chedapalooza have made some of the best points in this thread.

We love to believe in magic and think carbs are this negative thing. The fact is, most keto-advocates ignore the fact that a high fat diet is extremely reliable in causing Type II diabetes - more reliable than high carbs by themselves.

Also, ketosis causes some of the same metabolic disturbances that you see in Type II diabetics; it just isn't an issue because glucose supply is lowered. Ketogenic diets mimic the metabolic changes of obesity (i.e. - a switch to fat for fuel, decreased utilization of carbohydrate); but people like to brush that under the rug.

And as Chedapalooza stated, keto diets are not sustainable. There are recent studies supporting this, which makes sense to me because despite all of the people on the internet claiming they love keto diets and it's "easy to sustain" - I personally could never stick to it and I tend to eat around 100 grams of carbs a day or less a lot of the time if I just eat naturally.

In the end, caloric overload is the biggest factor.

If you really want to help your diabetes, take your medication and lose weight. Deplete your fat stores as much as possible, so that they can suck up excess blood sugar when needed, exercise and build muscle.

Also, comparing diabetes in an aging population is difficult - most people past the age of 80 show signs of prediabetes at the very least, even if they have been eating healthy. As we age, we become less efficient at utilizing carbs for energy - which means higher blood sugar.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Jiigzz and chedapalooza have made some of the best points in this thread.

We love to believe in magic and think carbs are this negative thing. The fact is, most keto-advocates ignore the fact that a high fat diet is extremely reliable in causing Type II diabetes - more reliable than high carbs by themselves.

Also, ketosis causes some of the same metabolic disturbances that you see in Type II diabetics; it just isn't an issue because glucose supply is lowered. Ketogenic diets mimic the metabolic changes of obesity (i.e. - a switch to fat for fuel, decreased utilization of carbohydrate); but people like to brush that under the rug.

And as Chedapalooza stated, keto diets are not sustainable. There are recent studies supporting this, which makes sense to me because despite all of the people on the internet claiming they love keto diets and it's "easy to sustain" - I personally could never stick to it and I tend to eat around 100 grams of carbs a day or less a lot of the time if I just eat naturally.

In the end, caloric overload is the biggest factor.

If you really want to help your diabetes, take your medication and lose weight. Deplete your fat stores as much as possible, so that they can suck up excess blood sugar when needed, exercise and build muscle.

Also, comparing diabetes in an aging population is difficult - most people past the age of 80 show signs of prediabetes at the very least, even if they have been eating healthy. As we age, we become less efficient at utilizing carbs for energy - which means higher blood sugar.
Idk how to rep or award on this new app but yes. Thank you for this response.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How is keto not sustainable? Maybe we miss our desserts but I don’t .

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think it had something to do with forgetting things yoy had done. People would eat, not remember, eat their meal again. They would also forget when they hit post, post again, etc.

J/K. The studies show that most people who follow it no longer follow it after a year or something. For me, I hate it. I have a really hard time going into ketosis, especially with any kind of protein intake, and being a "keto" diet I just feel like if I eat any carbs I blew days' worth if work getting into keto and have to start all over. I know this isn't really 100% true, but it is the mentality.

Kind if like someone on a diet that eats a twinkie and then just gives up because they feel like they blew it.

All diets have issues, I just feel like for me keto takes days and then I bump and have to start all over.

Plus, it just isn't healthy long term like people want to believe. It panders to metabolic issues rather than correcting metabolic issues...but to be fair, some of those metabolic issues may be hard to correct even if you wanted to.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Plus, it just isn't healthy long term like people want to believe. It panders to metabolic issues rather than correcting metabolic issues...but to be fair, some of those metabolic issues may be hard to correct even if you wanted to.
This

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Is any “diet” sustainable? Do you eat low kcal for the rest of your life? No, so why do we judge any diet by that measure? I believe keto, carb backloading, carb cycling, bulking, etc are all tools to improve body composition and health and should be viewed as such. Some people like to stay keto forever and those that do have improved health markers. It works for them and that’s great. Cutting fat with a “modified Atkins diet” works great for me, then, I increase carbs when I want to build (faster). Why does everyone have to be on one side of the fence or the other? They’re all tools I keep in my toolbox.

Edit: The only diet truly sustainable is binge eating and the USA has proven that lol.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is any “diet” sustainable? Do you eat low kcal for the rest of your life? No, so why do we judge any diet by that measure? I believe keto, carb backloading, carb cycling, bulking, etc are all tools to improve body composition and health and should be viewed as such. Some people like to stay keto forever and those that do have improved health markers. It works for them and that’s great. Cutting fat with a “modified Atkins diet” works great for me, then, I increase carbs when I want to build (faster). Why does everyone have to be on one side of the fence or the other? They’re all tools I keep in my toolbox.

Edit: The only diet truly sustainable is binge eating and the USA has proven that lol.
This is one thing I always say too - people often act like a diet isn't good because it isn't sustainable. Like a 500 calorie deficit is better than a 1000 or 2000 calorie deficit. But no deficit that will produce sufficient fat loss can be sustained for ever really.

And keto diets, like any diet, will improve health markets, if used as a tool as you suggest. Anyone staying on keto for a long period, however, will have negative sides as well. I am not against keto at all, but I am against the mythical status it seems to hold in the main stream. It is a tool, and not something for the long term like many seem to think.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

lol...perfect example is 'most' athletes after they retire.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

A diet is merely what you eat. Many diets are sustainable. Especially a diet sufficient in protein and consisting of enough calories to maintain current weight.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A diet is merely what you eat. Many diets are sustainable. Especially a diet sufficient in protein and consisting of enough calories to maintain current weight.
Actually there is just 1 diet criteria for a sustainable diet. ONLY a diet consisting of enough calories to maintain your current weight is sustainable.

No deficit is sustainable indefinately.

So, if you have weight to lose and you are being criticised because what you are doing is "unsustainable", the criticism is harmful and wrong.

But yes. A sustainable diet is possible, and you CANNOT lose weight on ANY sustainable diet.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Right, and what are your arguing against?