2009 College Football Season

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys stand alone on the police blotter in Florida for sure.

I recognize Meyer's agenda. Is wat it is. But I"m tired of your retard Gator fans talking like y'all are a bunch of Tebow dudes.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
Listen - the horns hold up my halo.....m'kay? :006:

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
[ but you're too obtuse for that.

.[/QUOTE]

quit callin me a triangle!!!:28:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
[ but you're too obtuse for that.

quit callin me a triangle!!!:28:

So you're telling me you really don't look like this?

:lol:

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
So you're telling me you really don't look like this?

LOL!!!! no..actually im a "right" triangle, because I am right about Florida's schedule. Seriously, how can one of the nation's elite teams even consider playing piss poor OOC games? It's all about $$$$. If Florida would play Texas or Oklahoma for example, and lose, there goes a chance at Nat'l championship and attendence goes down. Also, Florida hasn't even played out of the state of Florida(in OOC game) since 1991. Pathetic to say the least.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
plenny, don't think for one minute I don't realize you're straight clownin' on us.:FUfinger:

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Big 10

you have GOT to be sh*ttin' me!!! With games like Charleston Southern, Troy, Florida Int'l, and Arkansas, you call Florida battle tested?? Charleston Southern, I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS A SCHOOL THERE.:dunno:
Plenny, I already called Florida's 2009 noncon schedule the weakest in years - about 200 posts ago. But unlike PSU, this year's Gator noncon schedule is the EXCEPTION rather than the RULE. (ie Gators will play Charlestown Southern once in a lifetime while PSU plays a joke like Temple FOREVER).

I don't want to argue such a moot point - all you have to do is compare our SOS's over years past - that tells the whole story.

Personally I'd love to see Big Ten toughen up again. It would be good for college football as a whole.

FWIW, Paterno is a big proponent of a conference championship game. The big ten just needs to add another team. That said, that out of confrence schedule is way too soft. As much as it killed me to watch Ohio state take that ass whooping from USC last year, I am happy they've got big name matchups for awhile now.
Now Warnerve here has the right attitude!

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
LOL!!!! no..actually im a "right" triangle, because I am right about Florida's schedule. Seriously, how can one of the nation's elite teams even consider playing piss poor OOC games? It's all about $$$$. If Florida would play Texas or Oklahoma for example, and lose, there goes a chance at Nat'l championship and attendence goes down. Also, Florida hasn't even played out of the state of Florida(in OOC game) since 1991. Pathetic to say the least.
False, the only reason Charleston Southern is scheduled is because of UCF backing out of our series with them 2 years ago (after we throttled them 42-0). This was merely months before the season was about to start and we had to quickly fill the vacancy in the following years.

How about comparing UF's and Penn State's Strength of Schedule the last 5 years. Florida's SOS was top 5 in each of their last 2 titles (per Sagarin) :

2008 : 4th
2007 : 6th
2006 : 4th
2005 : 20th
2004 : 24th

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
False, the only reason Charleston Southern is scheduled is because of UCF backing out of our series with them 2 years ago (after we throttled them 42-0). This was merely months before the season was about to start and we had to quickly fill the vacancy in the following years.

How about comparing UF's and Penn State's Strength of Schedule the last 5 years. Florida's SOS was top 5 in each of their last 2 titles (per Sagarin) :

let bygones be bygones. What about 2009 SOC????? probably 1st or 2nd weakest. I know Penn St. has a weak schedule as well. But, IMO..the former Nat'l champs Should have top 25 caliber teams in their OOC games.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My 2 cents on this whole schedule confrontation in here...they both suck. I like how PSU's schedule does the same thing as UF if you look back at their past schedules its usually pretty bland. But, it is not the exception to the rule with florida this year. They pretty much always schedule that way, FSU every year seems to be the only tough out of conference game. Quite often a 1-AA is on the schedule(you had one last year and have one each of the next three years), troy is your temple game that comes up often, and I don't see much else to look at in the past...

Really this is a trend I think is horrible with lots of teams. While this site may not be highly legitimate these are what most years of scheduling come out to out of conference for most conferences.

http://www.collegegameballs.com/2009/05/20/2009-out-of-conference-schedule-strength-by-conference-and-team/

Something can still be said for your in conference game strength as well but I don't feel the need to discuss that..

Lastly, Plenny most often schedules are set several years ahead, so it can make it a crap shoot if you schedule a team thats hot now and then they have a cold streak when they are finally on your plate, but I don't think thats a good excuse for most of the schedules out there...

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At least PSU and Bama play in 10 and 11....maybe if any of you all are still on the boards a decision can be reached ;)

Naw we would all still argue haha

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
My 2 cents on this whole schedule confrontation in here...they both suck. I like how PSU's schedule does the same thing as UF if you look back at their past schedules its usually pretty bland. But, it is not the exception to the rule with florida this year. They pretty much always schedule that way, FSU every year seems to be the only tough out of conference game. Quite often a 1-AA is on the schedule(you had one last year and have one each of the next three years), troy is your temple game that comes up often, and I don't see much else to look at in the past...

Really this is a trend I think is horrible with lots of teams. While this site may not be highly legitimate these are what most years of scheduling come out to out of conference for most conferences.

http://www.collegegameballs.com/2009/05/20/2009-out-of-conference-schedule-strength-by-conference-and-team/

Something can still be said for your in conference game strength as well but I don't feel the need to discuss that..

Lastly, Plenny most often schedules are set several years ahead, so it can make it a crap shoot if you schedule a team thats hot now and then they have a cold streak when they are finally on your plate, but I don't think thats a good excuse for most of the schedules out there...
Great post Bolt!! PSU's OCC games make me puke. If one thing good comes out of it, it gives freshmen and 2nd and 3rd teams a chance to play and prove themselves. The trend improves somewhat in 2010, when PSU plays Alabama in Bama. What sucks is PSU loses a QB..and a RB and has a young o-line and wr's. Defense, I am never concerned with. Good point on your link about APP ST upsetting Mich. at the "big house". I guess these "so-called" cupcake games can blow up in anyones face.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great post Bolt!! PSU's OCC games make me puke. If one thing good comes out of it, it gives freshmen and 2nd and 3rd teams a chance to play and prove themselves. The trend improves somewhat in 2010, when PSU plays Alabama in Bama. What sucks is PSU loses a QB..and a RB and has a young o-line and wr's. Defense, I am never concerned with. Good point on your link about APP ST upsetting Mich. at the "big house". I guess these "so-called" cupcake games can blow up in anyones face.
Is this just your way of indirectly saying that you believe PSU is going to to walked on like a doormat by Bama?

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established

florida plays at least 4-5 teams every year that are ranked in the top 25 sometimes as many as 3-4 of those teams are in the top 10 it just so happens that most of them are in conference games so the non conference schedule should be weaker cause they arent playing cupcakes every week in conference like teams in the big 10 and pac 10 this yea happens to be an exception as they seem to be much better on paper than most of the teams on the schedule thats mostly due to alot of teams either losing talent to the NFL or coaching change my point is that the strength of the conference schedule makes up for the weaker non conference schedule

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I don't know I'd be thumping my chest about the SEC this coming year brahs.

I suspect it will live off it's laurels.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
My 2 cents on this whole schedule confrontation in here...they both suck. I like how PSU's schedule does the same thing as UF if you look back at their past schedules its usually pretty bland. ...
....not really.

Look here....

Compare that to PSU's SOS - no comparison.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
In "laurels" are you alluding to the 3 National Championships in last 4 years?
Some laurels! :veryhappy:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
In "laurels" are you alluding to the 3 National Championships in last 4 years?
Some laurels! :veryhappy:
Yeah.

From looking - not a banner year for 80% of the teams. Don't see many top 15 teams.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established

it does look to be a down year for most of the SEC but just because the teams are unproven doesnt mean they wont be good I mean who other than some crazy Alabama fan would have thought that Bama would've been undefeated going into the SEC championship game my guess nobody :dunno:

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Are you telling us this will be the year of the WAC?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
it does look to be a down year for most of the SEC but just because the teams are unproven doesnt mean they wont be good I mean who other than some crazy Alabama fan would have thought that Bama would've been undefeated going into the SEC championship game my guess nobody :dunno:
Fair.

East looks like mediocrity at it's finest apart from FLA.

West - who knows. Ole Miss ain't gonna sneak up on no one. LSU may have a QB finally. Bama doesn't have Smith - Utah showed me not to take that lightly. No idea about QB for them. Auburn - given up. Arky - blah.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
No idea. I don't pay any attention to them till later in the season. I can't even remember half the teams that play in that conference.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
....not really.

Look here....

Compare that to PSU's SOS - no comparison.
I am talking strictly out of conference. I mean you can't change your in conference schedule....I don't care if you have all that it doesn't mean you should schedule a D 1AA every year...for a team like UF whats the point of having a game like that?

O and dmillz holy run on...please break that down. O and I am not gonna even bring up the Pac-10 with anyone online. Everyone has such an east coast bias..its alrite tho I am not here to argue that atm. O and before you all get your nuts in a bunch don't take this as me saying the Pac is better than the SEC but I just get tired of the Pac-10 getting dogged saying their in conference schedule is the weakest :rolleyes:

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
I am talking strictly out of conference. I mean you can't change your in conference schedule....I don't care if you have all that it doesn't mean you should schedule a D 1AA every year...for a team like UF whats the point of having a game like that?

O and dmillz holy run on...please break that down. O and I am not gonna even bring up the Pac-10 with anyone online. Everyone has such an east coast bias..its alrite tho I am not here to argue that atm. O and before you all get your nuts in a bunch don't take this as me saying the Pac is better than the SEC but I just get tired of the Pac-10 getting dogged saying their in conference schedule is the weakest :rolleyes:
yea I could go on and on college football just makes me feel all tingly inside. And I'm not saying the pac 10 has the weakest in conference schedule but its mediocre at best and the big 10 and big east tie for worst.

and even the big east has something over the big 11 and pac 10 a conference championship game but thats another subject I digress the bottom line is if the sec had teams like washington or arizona then they wouldnt have to schedule D-2 schools usc and oregon are the only consistently good teams in the pac 10.

You can make a case for 2-3 teams every year in the SEC to compete for a national championship just look at the BCS how may teams from the SEC have BCS national championship trophys 3 schools with a total of 5 national championships in the last decade how many does the pac 10 have 1 and 1

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey ho0ther, this just in from the Huntsville Times... the Tide's latest commitment.

"Alabama's past two consensus No. 1 football prospects waited until National Signing Day to announce their college choices on national television, building drama with big crowds and hats spread across a table. Demarcus Milliner didn't need all that.

Rivals.com rates the 6-foot-1, 180-pound Milliner a five-star player on its five-star scale, also tabbing him this year's No. 1 high school cornerback prospect. The consensus among recruiting services is that he will be the No. 1 recruit in the state this year. Milliner reportedly held scholarship offers from the majority of the Southeastern Conference programs in addition to the likes of Clemson, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma.

Milliner grew up as an Auburn fan and his mother pulls for the Tigers."

So, after all that Big Cat Weekend hilarity, The Barn gets a big dose of recruiting reality.:lol:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
yea I could go on and on college football just makes me feel all tingly inside. And I'm not saying the pac 10 has the weakest in conference schedule but its mediocre at best and the big 10 and big east tie for worst.

and even the big east has something over the big 11 and pac 10 a conference championship game but thats another subject I digress the bottom line is if the sec had teams like washington or arizona then they wouldnt have to schedule D-2 schools usc and oregon are the only consistently good teams in the pac 10.

You can make a case for 2-3 teams every year in the SEC to compete for a national championship just look at the BCS how may teams from the SEC have BCS national championship trophys 3 schools with a total of 5 national championships in the last decade how many does the pac 10 have 1 and 1
SC has 2 championships. AP counts.

Agree - not more than maybe 3 P-10 teams that are consistent top 25 candidates the last few years.

Sh*t moves in cycles, brah. You guys are ridin' high - enjoy it. Don't talk like it's forever. SEC wasn't dominant till very recently (after '02).

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Hey ho0ther, this just in from the Huntsville Times...

"Alabama's past two consensus No. 1 football prospects waited until National Signing Day to announce their college choices on national television, building drama with big crowds and hats spread across a table. Demarcus Milliner didn't need all that.

Rivals.com rates the 6-foot-1, 180-pound Milliner a five-star player on its five-star scale, also tabbing him this year's No. 1 high school cornerback prospect. The consensus among recruiting services is that he will be the No. 1 recruit in the state this year. Milliner reportedly held scholarship offers from the majority of the Southeastern Conference programs in addition to the likes of Clemson, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma.

Milliner grew up as an Auburn fan and his mother pulls for the Tigers."

So, after all that Big Cat Weekend hilarity, The Barn gets a big dose of recruiting reality.:lol:
I don't understand - that's a dig at Auburn???

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
SC has 2 championships. AP counts.

Agree - not more than maybe 3 P-10 teams that are consistent top 25 candidates the last few years.

Sh*t moves in cycles, brah. You guys are ridin' high - enjoy it. Don't talk like it's forever. SEC wasn't dominant till very recently (after '02).
so in the 90's when florida went to the nat champ game twice and when tenn won in 98 dosent count as being somewhat dominant as a matter of fact going back to 1936 only one other conference has more national titles than the SEC and thats the big 12 and after this season they will hopefully be tied

and as far as usc with 2 nat titles I was refering to bcs titles as it is what is most recognized under the current system all about the crystal football baby!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My Tebow pic from the UK vs. UF game in Gainesville last year:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
so in the 90's when florida went to the nat champ game twice and when tenn won in 98 dosent count as being somewhat dominant as a matter of fact going back to 1936 only one other conference has more national titles than the SEC and thats the big 12 and after this season they will hopefully be tied

and as far as usc with 2 nat titles I was refering to bcs titles as it is what is most recognized under the current system all about the crystal football baby!
I wouldn't say somewhat, brah. Canes played in 3 championship games ourselves and won one title.

Nebraska had 3 and FSU had 2. SEC was a blip on the radar in the '90's, brah.

I wouldn't meld now with prior decades.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
At least PSU and Bama play in 10 and 11....maybe if any of you all are still on the boards a decision can be reached ;)

Naw we would all still argue haha
when discussing sports on the internet, actual games don't solve anything :)

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
when discussing sports on the internet, actual games don't solve anything :)
Seems like a reasonable conclusion if this thread is any indictation :yup:

But - who cares - 80 days until the season starts!
Y'all enjoy the summer. Looking forward to the Fall.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SEC was a blip on the radar in the '90's, brah.
jmh, you can't really believe that. A blip on the radar?

College Football National Champions in the '90s

1990—— Colorado
1991—— Miami
1992—— Alabama
1993—— Florida State (*Auburn finished undefeated)
1994—— Nebraska
1995—— Nebraska
1996—— Florida
1997—— Michigan/Nebraska
1998—— Tennessee
1999—— Florida State

Total Appearances in Final AP Poll (1990-1999)

1T. Tennessee (10)
1T. Florida State (10)
1T. Nebraska (10)
1T. Michigan (10)
5T. Florida (9)
5T. Miami (9)
5T. Penn State (9)
5T. Texas A&M (9)
9. Colorado (8)
10. Notre Dame (8)

SEC Teams in Final AP Polls (1990-1999)

1990: Tennessee #8, Florida #13
1991: Alabama #5, Florida #7
1992: Alabama #1, Georgia #8, Florida #10
1993: Auburn #4, Florida #5
1994: Alabama #5, Florida #7, Auburn #9
1995: Florida #2, Tennessee #3
1996: Florida #1, Tennessee #9, Alabama #11
1997: Florida #4, Tennessee #7, Auburn #11
1998: Tennessee #1, Florida #5
1999: Alabama #8, Tennessee #9, Florida #12

Besides winning 30% of the decade's national championships, the SEC had a winning record versus EVERY conference in college football from 1990-1999. NO OTHER CONFERENCE can boast that fact. (As for current ACC teams, they lost more times than they won against both the Big Ten and the SEC.) Also in 1992, the SEC was the first conference to receive permission from the NCAA to conduct an annual championship game in football. Yeah, that didn't make waves or anything. I won't even mention players like Peyton Manning, or Spurrier's teams at The Swamp. The SEC's current reputation was earned in the 90s.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
jmh, you can't really believe that. A blip on the radar?The SEC's current reputation was earned in the 90s.
That's my man rubbering. Keeper of the SEC flame via statistical data, not subjective argument.

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
i forgot what site it was on, but someone posted something about TCU and Rice being frontrunners this year. WOW!! if i find it i'll post it

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
Is this just your way of indirectly saying that you believe PSU is going to to walked on like a doormat by Bama?

No, not really. I would love to see PSU play bama with the type of team they have in 2008-2009

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i forgot what site it was on, but someone posted something about TCU and Rice being frontrunners this year. WOW!! if i find it i'll post it
I don't know if I'd ever refer to them as frontrunners, but I was impressed with TCU's team last season. Their defense was no joke (Oklahoma was the only team to score more than 16 points against them), and their only losses were to the Sooners and Utah. Virginia and Clemson are their big OoC games this year. Not too shabby.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I miss Texas A&M being good.
What's the consensus around your state in regards to them returning to glory? What kind of press does Sherman get? I read where ESPN's Mark Schlabach listed him as having the worst first season in 2008. I gotta tell you... I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Franchione bite the dust.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if you saw this Rubbering.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20090611/NEWS/906109928/1007?Title=NCAA-to-vacate-at-least-10-wins-football-to-avoid-scholarship-cuts

TUSCALOOSA | The University of Alabama football program will have to vacate at least 10 wins from the 2005, 2006 and 2007 seasons according to the ruling on UA’s textbook case from the NCAA Committee on Infractionstoday, individuals with knowledge of the NCAA report told The Tuscaloosa News.

Alabama is not expected to lose future football scholarships or postseason opportunities in football. More severe penalties are expected for other sports involved in the textbook case, although those sports may also avoid scholarship restrictions, The News learned.

UA is also expected to receive three years of probation and a fine of more than $40,000.
This includes the 31-3 beating you gave us in 2005 (Tyrone Prothro anyone?).

Still, IMO, the only time vacating wins matters is if there's a championship involved (or in Bowden and Paterno's case). This penalty also sends a strong message that FSU's appeal is not likely to be overturned, hence Bowden will have 14 less victories.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Textbook Case?

This penalty also sends a strong message that FSU's appeal is not likely to be overturned, hence Bowden will have 14 less victories.
What is this "textbook case"? I don't remember reading about it and there's no info on the link.

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
What is this "textbook case"? I don't remember reading about it and there's no info on the link.
It's my understanding that the athletes took advantage of the loan program, obtaining more textbooks than they were allotted (which I'm assuming they would end up selling to make some $?). Bama took care of it by reporting it and suspended a few players. The NCAA isn't messing around I guess.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
It's my understanding that the athletes took advantage of the loan program, obtaining more textbooks than they were allotted (which I'm assuming they would end up selling to make some $?). Bama took care of it by reporting it and suspended a few players. The NCAA isn't messing around I guess.
Wow, a few textbooks? That seems pretty insignificant compared to other violations (like what supposedly (probably) went down at USC with Reggie Bush).

Gator Alum 03

Gator Alum 03

Awards
  • Established
Wow, a few textbooks? That seems pretty insignificant compared to other violations (like what supposedly (probably) went down at USC with Reggie Bush).
Yeah I agree. Apparently some 200 athletes in various sports were involved though.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Alabama was already under the eye of the NCAA from messing up a few years back so they were considered repeat offenders. I think they should of removed them from Divison 1 and dropped them to Division 2 so they should play people on there level such as Louisiana Monroe.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
What's the consensus around your state in regards to them returning to glory? What kind of press does Sherman get? I read where ESPN's Mark Schlabach listed him as having the worst first season in 2008. I gotta tell you... I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Franchione bite the dust.
I dont know that anyone really takes him or anyone seriously. I mean they lost to Baylor. ****ing baylor.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I knew the textbook ruling was coming today. It's been hanging over the program's head for a while now. I'm actually very relieved, as Bama self-reported it during the probation period for the Albert Means scandal. If the NCAA wanted to, they could've been a lot harsher. This is pretty much a slap on the wrist. No scholarships lost. I know Auburn fans are extremely disappointed.:lol:

Here's the breakdown:

-- 201 student-athletes involved.
-- 16 of Alabama's 17 sports were involved in the violations.
-- 22 of the athletes "intentionally" received improper benefits, 14 of whom were in the men's and women's track and field program. They exploited the system for a value greater than $100.
-- The value of the impermissible benefits ranged from a low of $32.30 by a women's track athlete to a high of $3,947.19 by a football player.
-- Football may have had the fewest number involved, but it had the four highest amounts, ranging from $2,714.62 to $3,947.19.
-- The sports that had intentional wrong-doers were football, men's and women's track, and men's tennis. Vacation penalties only apply to these sports.
-- Zero student-athletes were found to have exchanged books for cash or bought non-academic materials.
-- 125 athletes received benefits that totaled less than $100 each.
-- Alabama's fine is $43,900, which is the value of the benefits gained by the intentional wrong-doers, times two.