hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Does anybody think there will be a controversy with the "tap?" I mean it was a single tap and usually it has to be taps in session. One could even make the argument it wasnt even really a tap, that he was merely putting his hand on Werdum's thigh. I can just see the hardcore Fedor fans saying things like that.

My friend was crushed after watching it. It was like a kid finding out Santa Claus isnt real. It was a little scary and funny at the same time. I mean Im a Fedor fan and wanted him to win. It shocked me but my world isnt coming to an end lol. I do know that Strikeforce got a little less interesting last night.

But man I did like seeing Cung Le destroy Scott Smith. Plus Cyborg destroyed that girl it was sad to watch after a while. 7 minutes of pure ass kicking.
Yeah everyone loses eventually...the mark comes from those that rebound.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's quite a few credible guys in here... You don't necessarily need to fight to have a solid opinion on the matter.

I have to agree with Mullet. There's no way Werdrum was scared with Fedor in his guard throwing looping headshots. I thought I saw a little trepidation during the initial flurry and fall, but after that he seemed very calm and collected.
I mean, if I were Werdum - thank the tuxedo shirt-wearing baby Jesus I am not, as he looks like some terrible sea creature - I would have been elated when Fedor setup my game-plan for me.
COuldnt agree more. This was the perfect scenario (ending) for Werdum. A dry Fedor, bascially jumps into his guard and lays himself in for an easy sub.

I have to say, I was not stunned he lost, but how he did it. In my thoughts I always believed Fedor would lose to a guy of a similar ilk to Brock (much bigger and stronger with excellent wrestling) who would just control him and pummel him on the ground. I still say Fedor is the HW GOAT, but I do not believe he is #1 anymore I think the game has changed a great deal and heavyweights now are far more skilled and so friggin big, that the matchups for Fedor would be very difficult

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
One thing this definitely does do... is make the UFC appear exceptionally business savy (yet again)...

A fighter looking to co-promote sets a dangerous precident in the sport. UFC saying thanks, but no thanks, to Fedor last year was the right move.

Vtaper

Awards
Well, if you guys havnt seen it yet, its official. Sherdogs rankings came out and Brocks #1. So even if Fedor goes 10-0 until he retires, he will probably never regain the top ranking unless he goes to the UFC. We can only hope.

BTW, if anybody doesnt know how much of a douche Tito is, check out his comments about this fight. Among the arrogance he says Fedor is "Not even a top heavyweight" and Werdum is "young and up and coming". Werdum and Fedor are 10 months apart in age.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, if you guys havnt seen it yet, its official. Sherdogs rankings came out and Brocks #1. So even if Fedor goes 10-0 until he retires, he will probably never regain the top ranking unless he goes to the UFC. We can only hope.

BTW, if anybody doesnt know how much of a douche Tito is, check out his comments about this fight. Among the arrogance he says Fedor is "Not even a top heavyweight" and Werdum is "young and up and coming". Werdum and Fedor are 10 months apart in age.
1. Tito is a douche. In fact, he's been nominated for biggest douche in the universe.

2. Rankings really don't mean jack and Sherdog's level of respect is very, very low.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The recent business history for the UFC, on appearances alone, have looked phenomenal:

1. Refusing to pay Dan Henderson his asking price, who then promptly lost to Jake Shields.

2. Refusing to acquiesce to M1-Global's unusually ridiculous demands, and refusing to recognize Fedor as the #1 HW - who then, of course, promptly lost.

3. Not only did Fedor lose, but he lost to an embarrassingly small audience on Showtime, more than probably demonstrating that, at this point, Fedor was not the U.S., draw we expected him to be.

If they weren't so painfully inept, and so very abject to making the correct decisions, I would almost feel for StrikeFARCE. They gambled on what they felt were two of the UFC's best (potential) assets, who both lost rather quickly after acquiring them!

The UFC, on the other hand, now gains an edge with subsequent negotiations, based on what the perception of these two events will ultimately be. Dana White can simply say to a manager, "Look what occurred to the last two defectors or those who decided not to sign." As well, after Saturday, Zuffa can lay claim to not only the inarguable best fighter in every division, but, also the vast majority of the top contenders.

While I may be off, here, the only fighters who "need" to fight in the UFC at this point are:

1. Melendez
2. Eddie Alvarez
3. Mo Lawal
4. übereem
5. Jake Shields (soon to be, at any rate).
6. Nick Diaz

Other than that, there are none who "need" to be fighting in the UFC - and by that, I mean that they are already fully developed fighters who ought to be fighting premiere competition. At some point, I would like to see prospects such as Del Resario, Cormier, Woodley, Askren and the like move over, but at this point, they should develop more.

P.S., I love Bellator.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really think Ben Askren has a HUGE future in MMA. He destroyed Hornbuckle and made him look like an amateur.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Mullet, you're saying your list of 1-6 should fight in the UFC because they need stronger competition?

UFC / ZUFFA has made some great decisions... Seems like a string of 10 years with very few mistakes. I've had the opportunity to speak to them quite a bit over the past 2 months - really down to Earth guys with some big plans. I'm going to take a tour of their TV studio in early September - pretty stoked for that.

Vtaper

Awards
Rankings really don't mean jack and Sherdog's level of respect is very, very low.
I know rankings dont mean much.....especially on Sherdog aka the bb.com of mma sites. I was just thinking how the UFC is going to capatilize on it even if no other reputable site ranks Brock #1. Lesnars profitability comes from attracting new fans. Now to that demographic, the past means nothing.

I bet Golberg and Rogan mention it in the first 5 minutes on Saturday.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mullet, you're saying your list of 1-6 should fight in the UFC because they need stronger competition?
Essentially, yes. But more to the point: they "need" to fight in the UFC to be considered totally legitimate in their respective divisions, IMO.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
One of the only things I find truly odd in this situation is how Fedor is being considered now, vs., how BJ Penn was considered after losing to Frankie Edgar - and by all rights, Edgar was as much favored to lose as Werdum was.

Now, there is no doubt that the indecisive manner in which Edgar beat Penn plays into perception, here, but it is nevertheless interesting to see that Penn is a) by and large still in the top ten P4P consensus lists and b) is still the second-best LW on every consensus list. To me, Fedor and the loser of Carwin/Lesnar are in not so dissimilar positions, and he should therefore still be considered the second best HW by recent match-ups.

He may very well be the best HW at this very point, however, the undeniable fact is that he will have to face stiffer competition in order to regain that perception; sadly, given that he doesn't give a **** about our perception, that makes me much more mad. Though, for whatever reason, I am infinitely more angry that Cung Le did not join MMA ten years earlier.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One of the only things I find truly odd in this situation is how Fedor is being considered now, vs., how BJ Penn was considered after losing to Frankie Edgar - and by all rights, Edgar was as much favored to lose as Werdum was.

Now, there is no doubt that the indecisive manner in which Edgar beat Penn plays into perception, here, but it is nevertheless interesting to see that Penn is a) by and large still in the top ten P4P consensus lists and b) is still the second-best LW on every consensus list. To me, Fedor and the loser of Carwin/Lesnar are in not so dissimilar positions, and he should therefore still be considered the second best HW by recent match-ups.

He may very well be the best HW at this very point, however, the undeniable fact is that he will have to face stiffer competition in order to regain that perception; sadly, given that he doesn't give a **** about our perception, that makes me much more mad. Though, for whatever reason, I am infinitely more angry that Cung Le did not join MMA ten years earlier.
I know watching Cung Le was awesome. Those kicks were nasty. I hadnt watched him fight in MMA before so I came away impressed. I remember watching old K-1 fights where he would completely destroy the competition. The fights were pure domination. If the guy mounted any bit of offense it was like Le took it as disrespect and made the guy pay even more.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
1. Tito is a douche. In fact, he's been nominated for biggest douche in the universe.

2. Rankings really don't mean jack and Sherdog's level of respect is very, very low.

this is really funny. Fedor will still hold his rank I believe. Its not even close. People are blowing this up, he was raining on him and got caught. really simple. He is still fuking amazing. it happens, im sure it happens at practice all the time as well.

On another note I think the UFC has made good and bad deals. I really wish Nick Diaz was back in the UFC, I think he is such a bad ass. and losing hendo was really stupid. that would have made 185 solid if A silva. left.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
On another note I think the UFC has made good and bad deals. I really wish Nick Diaz was back in the UFC, I think he is such a bad ass. and losing hendo was really stupid. that would have made 185 solid if A silva. left.
How was losing Hendo stupid if he lost to Jake Shields in his very next fight? When Jake Shields eventually signs with the UFC, it will be a more solid division than had Hendo stayed - and most probably, had Shields never beaten Hendo, he would not be on his way to the UFC in the first place. :ponder:

In reality the entire situation could not have worked out better: your newest acquisition asserts his place in the MW division by beating the acquisition you had recently let go. In my personal opinion, when it comes to fighter contracts and negotiations, the UFC is normally very on point from a business standpoint. Whether or not one feels this is good for the sport, the fighters and so on, is another debate; but, my opinion there is by and large in the UFC's favor as well.

Really, though, where they display their own brand of ineptitude - probably more like arrogance - is intruding into markets that are not equipped for a UFC event. Places like Portland, for example, come to mind as that city was still racked by the recession when the UFC hosted an event there and kept ticket prices the same.