1-test cycle length

PC1

Great post PC1! So you don't recommend any cardio at all until several several months post cycle? None at all while on, up until 2-3 months post cycle?
Well, that's not really my point. I'm just describing my experience with my recent 8 week cycle, and why I feel 2 or 3 week cycles are just about worthless.

I only mention cardio as part of an overall fitness program that most people here subscribe to. And if one is going to cycle PH or AS, one has to change their mindset as they cycle on and off. Anyone who does cycle will tell you how difficult weight training is for several weeks post cycle, our bodies feel flat, and barely respond at all until our endocrine systems return to normal. How could they respond when there's about 0 endogenous testosterone production at that time. I've read posts by Patrick Arnold where he indicated that endogenous supply of testosterone can greatly diminish in some individuals within the span of 1 week from PH's like 1-test. And even after endogenous supply is on again, it's still not the same as when we're on, because we're recovering with testosterone levels far and above normal. So if overall physical fitness is your goal, a month or so post cycle would be a better time to focus more on your cardio aspect of training, and much less on the weights. The change in focus will do you good, and get you away from the dread of weight training at a time when you're really not enjoying it much. Scale it back awhile, and when you return, both mind and body will ready to gear back up to new levels.

Most competetive bodybuilders do zero cardio during bulking phase of their training. I don't think there's any dispute now that building maximum size and strength come from pure anerobic weight training, and that cardiovascular activities hamper recovery to some degree. But again, it depends on one's goals. The majority of people on these boards will never compete in even a local contest, and that's fine. Most of our goals then center around building muscle and reducing bodyfat over time.

So if you want to do both regularly, that's fine, my suggestion would be to focus more on the weights on cycle (not exclusively), and then switch focus to cardio once you feel your endocrine system has returned to normal post cycle. Cranking up your cardio in the immediate post cycle weeks I feel would only tax your ability to recover from workouts at a time when recovery is already poor.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
great cycle wrap up PC1. Thanks for the in depth info. I agree with you about cycle length. I did a 4 week cycle my first time just to assess how my body would respond, and then later did like an 8 weeker, and saw some amazing results.

CosmosM3

Awards
So if I calculated right, that's 500mg 1-test and 500mg 4-AD per day for 8 weeks? Plus the extra DMSO you were applying, that's a serious dose of andorgens floating around in your blood.

I just finished the same cycle at half the dose and half the lenth. Ideally I would have liked to go longer, like you explain, but the lethergy was getting too bad even sleeping 10hours a night. I'm not suprised it hit you so hard either.

If you can, report back in 6-12 months. It would be informative to know the "permenance" of your gains, given that you are at or near you genetic limit. But that's a topic for another thread..:D

PC1

I'm now just over 4 weeks post cycle. And I've been off Nolva for about 1 week (thank God).

My body weight has dropped from 248-250 to about 238-240, and seems to be settling about there. The good news is in the strength department.

Being a natural tall thin ectomorph I've never been a particularly good bench presser. At 2 points in my life I've had a natural 290-300 lb. bench press. At 26 years of age immediately pre-AS, and again at around 33 years of age, and never for very long at that, for 1 reason or another. I seem to be over 300 now and holding steady, which I'm pleased with, at 43+ years of age, and coming off of a pec major avulsion last September to boot ;)

I've incorporated a lot of fine advice found on this message board. Mainly, I cut WAY back on volume, focusing primarily on the compound lifts, but with a few extras for balance:

MONDAY Pulling Exercises
Deadlifts
Bent Rows
Lat Pull Downs
Shrugs
Biceps Curls
Forearm Curls
Abs

WEDNESDAY Pushing exercises
Bench Press
Seated Military Press
Cable Triceps Extensions

FRIDAY Legs
Leg Extensions
Squats
Leg Curls
Calf Raises
Abs

And ONLY once a week, for recuperation.

Each of these exercises I'd warm up with up to 5 warm up sets and do only 1-2 heavy sets of between 6-10 reps, while taking Nolva. Now that I'm off, I'm easing back into doing 3-4 heavy sets on the compound exercises, and utilizing a reverse pyramid set structure.

One has to keep in mind that I did completely tear my right pec major tendon last Fall. But I did that at the END of a PH cycle.

My focus (again, post ANTI-E) is on lifting fairly heavy weight (for me) for as many reps as possible. For example on the bench:

270 x 4
255 x 6
240 x 8
225 x 10

And I rest anywhere from 4-10 minutes between each set. I'm not in a hurry, I want to move maximum poundage for quality reps, not anhilate the muscle with maximum lactic acid burn. And if I wasn't so concious about the pec tendon avulsion, I might do an extra rep or 2 with each of those weights. But again........

Just 4 weeks ago, immediately post cycle, my max 4 rep on the bench was

285 x 4

As many of you know, if you take what you can bench for 4 reps and divide that by 90%, it tells you what you can bench for a 1 rep single max. I won't do that anymore now with my injury. But what that tells me is that I'm now NATURALLY benching 300 or a bit more (because I probably could do an extra rep at least if I wanted to push things)

270 / 90% = 300

Not that I can claim it without doing it, but you get the idea. It gives a good indication.

So right now, immediately post ANTI-E, I'm where I was at strength wise last Fall immediately post PH cycle. And again, all things considered with the injury, I feel pretty good about that :)

On Seated Military Press, my heaviest this week was

205 x 3 reps

Immediately post cycle, my max was

225 x 2 reps

I can tell you that never in my life have I naturally done anything more than 185 x 3-4 reps. So again I'm pleased. The one qualifier to my strength level is my bodyweight. In my mid 20's, I weighed around 222 lbs; early 30's around 232 lbs. So yeah I was leaner and meaner. Still at 43 years old, I'm pleased with where I am today.

I'm hoping NOT to lose anything more post cycle. And I figure that if I can keep more strength, I'll be able to bodybuild with more weight, and hence, have more muscle mass overall.

I don't have the pump, size or hardness I had 4 weeks ago. But overall, I look and feel good, and am not over training.

I'll report back in another month or so.

Be well