TerribleTowel's Quest For More Mass

Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
    I've only been doing the stiff-legged variety for my lower back and mainly hamstrings lately. I use 315 for 12 reps with the stiff-legged's. I can still hoist 505 off the floor pretty easily for my Barbell shrugs. So I think I could still pull a 550 deadlift. It was always my specialty. I called myself, "Dr. Deadlift"!! ha ha
    315 x 12 is very impressive on straight leg deads. I love straight leg deads as there is no other exercise where I can get the same great contraction in my ham's and glutes as I do with SLDL's. I have done them in over a month as I've been doing regular deads lately.

2. Quote Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
    I've only been doing the stiff-legged variety for my lower back and mainly hamstrings lately. I use 315 for 12 reps with the stiff-legged's. I can still hoist 505 off the floor pretty easily for my Barbell shrugs. So I think I could still pull a 550 deadlift. It was always my specialty. I called myself, "Dr. Deadlift"!! ha ha
    You do shrugs off the floor? That's fricken hardcore!
    NSCA - CSCS
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    You do shrugs off the floor? That's fricken hardcore!
    I usually stand on a large wooden block in the squat rack. But it's occupied sometimes with the rare squatters!! lol When that happens I load up the bar on the floor and continue business as usual!!
    THE PAIN YOU ENDURE TODAY WILL PRODUCE THE POWER YOU ENJOY TOMORROW!!

"Ye are gods, and all of you are children of the most High."

4. Quote Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
    I usually stand on a large wooden block in the squat rack. But it's occupied sometimes with the rare squatters!! lol When that happens I load up the bar on the floor and continue business as usual!!
    I might have to try that on principle (when my lumbar heals).
    NSCA - CSCS

5. Day 4 - Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shoulders

Seated Barbell Military Press

175 x 10
    185 x 10
    195 x 8
    205 x 5

Standing Lateral Raises

30 x 15
    35 x 12
    35 x 10
    35 x 8 + 25 x 8

Upright Barbell Rows

115 x 10
    125 x 10
    125 x 8
    115 x 9

Bent-over Reverse Flies

25 x 12
    25 x 12
    25 x 12 (rest paused to get 12)
    25 x 12 (rest paused to get 12)

Dumbbell Shrugs

90 x 20
    90 x 18
    90 x 15
    90 x 12

One Arm Shrugs In Smith Machine

135 x 10
    135 x 10
    135 x 10

Post Workout Thoughts

Very good workout today. I think the SD is finally starting to kick in. My military press jumped from 195 x 5 last week to 195 x 8 and 205 x 5 this week. I also moved up to the 35's on the lateral raises. I was going to do front raises, but I felt a pain in my left shoulder when I attempted them so I quickly quit and moved on to upright rows. No need to risk hurting anything. I was going to do some heavy barbell shrugs today, but the dreaded back pumps made their first appearance halfway through the workout and after a warmup set of 135 I realized that wasn't going to work, so I decided to work my traps in a manner which placed less stress on my lower back. The one arm shrugs you see mentioned were an idea I stole from Volcom a while back. In case anyone isn't aware of what I talking about, I simply stand with my side to the bar of the smith machine and do shrugs using one arm and then switch to the other. By doing one arm at a time you can get a really deep strong contraction in your traps, you just have to be careful that it's a weight you can handle as you can't be jerking the weight around or your simply asking for injury.

Weight upon waking: 196 lbs (down ... I'm ready for the weight gains to start showing up, even though I do appear larger in the mirror)
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
    Whats the advantage of doing shrugs standing on a box?

7. Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowel View Post
    Whats the advantage of doing shrugs standing on a box?
    It's inside a power-squat rack. The bar rests on the safety bars at waist-level. By standing on the wooden box, I can lift the bar up easier and I don't have to walk it backwards out of the power rack to keep it from hitting the safety bars on the negative portion of the rep. Understand?

8. Quote Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
    It's inside a power-squat rack. The bar rests on the safety bars at waist-level. By standing on the wooden box, I can lift the bar up easier and I don't have to walk it backwards out of the power rack to keep it from hitting the safety bars on the negative portion of the rep. Understand?
    Gotcha. The bars on the squat racks at my gym are adjustable so I can lower them far enough that I don't run into your problem. It never crossed my mind that you might not be able to lower the bars. I thought you just wanted to be different so you could get attention

9. Friday, August 1, 2008

Legs (Quads only)

Front Squats (Ass to Grass)

195 x 10
    205 x 10
    215 x 10
    225 x 8

Leg Press

(4 Plates) x 20
    (5 Plates) x 20
    (5 Plates + 25) x 15
    (4 Plates) x 22

Leg Extensions

150 x 20
    150 x 16
    150 x 13

Post Workout Thoughts

Holy ****in back pumps!!! Wow...I've had some back pumps before but nothing like this. Two sets into my front squats and it was killing me. I had to leave my belt on the entire workout just to be able to move.

With that said though, by the time I finished I couldn't walk. Partially due to teh back pumps, but also the fact that my quads had a sick pump. I did some higher reps on the leg press and this absolutely destroyed my quads.

I would have done some ham's, but there was no way my back was going to be able to support any sort of hamstring movement so I had to take a loss there. They get a lot of work from my deads so they haven't been completely neglected this week.

Weight upon waking: 199.5 lbs (HERE WE GO!!)

10. Ass to Grass sounds way cooler then Hams to Calves. I think I'll use that one now.
    NSCA - CSCS

11. Any acne yet from the TST bro? Also, you should become a cool kid like the rest of us and post a pic of yourself as yor avi

12. TT---sounds like you really need to up the Taurine in your supplementation. Up to 5 or 6 grams per day!! And eat a couple of bananas every day!! And drink water until you think you're gonna fukkin' puke!! These 3 steps should help alleviate those dreadful back-pumps!! Peace!!

13. Quote Originally Posted by bassgod272 View Post
    Any acne yet from the TST bro? Also, you should become a cool kid like the rest of us and post a pic of yourself as yor avi
    No acne so far. To be honest I haven't really felt much from the M-TST thus far.

Maybe at the end of this cycle I'll join the cool kids club and put a picture of myself for my avi. I'm too scrawny right now.

14. Quote Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
    TT---sounds like you really need to up the Taurine in your supplementation. Up to 5 or 6 grams per day!! And eat a couple of bananas every day!! And drink water until you think you're gonna fukkin' puke!! These 3 steps should help alleviate those dreadful back-pumps!! Peace!!
    Took 8 grams of taurine Friday along with having two bananas and a couple gallons of water. I think part of the pumps could have simply been related to my body continuing to recover from deadlifts on Tuesday. No problems with back pumps today though. Maybe taurine needs a day or two to build up in the system.

15. Day 6 - Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bi's, Calves, & Forearms

Barbell Curls (Wide Grip)

85 x 10
    85 x 10
    85 x 10
    85 x 8

Seated Incline Curls

25 x 10
    30 x 8
    30 x 9
    30 x 10

Cable Curls

Didn't have weights indicated. 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps a piece.

Calf Raises (Leg Press) Supersetted With Barbell Wrist Curls

(3 Plates x 25) + 45 til failure
    (3 Plates x 22) + 45 til failure
    (3 Plates x 20) + 45 til failure
    (3 Plates x 18) + 45 til failure
    (3 Plates x 16 + 2 drop sets til failure) + 45 til failure

Post Workout Thoughts

Very nice workout. For biceps today I was playing around with some ideas I read about on another board from some very knowledgeable guys about bicep training. The discussion was about how to really focus on working the biceps instead of the brachialis. I have always been a guy who didn't care to train biceps because the pump constantly avoided me. I would complete a bicep workout and leave with pumped forearms and hardly any work done to my biceps. I must say that just using these different techniques definitely left me with a great bicep pump that I haven't felt in quite a while. The cable curls exercise was a new one to me. Put the cables as low as they can go and attach to handles. Grab the weights and step forward as if your going to do a fly. Now keeping your elbows pinned to your sides and keeping your hands working straight up and down perform a set of curls. Definitely gave me a different kind of feeling in my bicep and I liked it. I'll continue to work my biceps in a similar manner to see if I can't get any new growth.

I usually don't do any direct forearm work, but after watching Volcom's thread and another thread on another board I decided to incorporate a little forearm work once or twice a week to see if I can tell a difference. Once again Volcom you've inspired me.

Weight upon waking: 200.5 lbs (finally broke 200!!)

16. Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowel View Post
    No acne so far. To be honest I haven't really felt much from the M-TST thus far.

Maybe at the end of this cycle I'll join the cool kids club and put a picture of myself for my avi. I'm too scrawny right now.
    Oh and i'm not? LMAO!

17. I do the same cable bicep curl exercise only with the pulleys all the way up. Gives me a good bicep workout!

18. Great workout TT!! I saw a youtube video of Lou Ferrigno doing a one-arm bent-over cable concentration curl. I started tossing a set or 2 of 'em in at the end of my biceps workouts.....WOW!! They'll pump your bi's up better than DB concentration curls ever did! KEEP BLASTIN' THE IRON DUDE!!

19. Correction: some acne has started to rear it's ugly head (no pun intended). I never get acne so I have no doubt that it's from the M-TST

Side Note: Bi's are sore as hell today so something was certainly working yesterday. I personally treasure my DOMS. If I'm not sore the next day then I don't feel as if I worked hard enough the previous day and DOMS in my bi's has always avoided me.

20. Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowel View Post
    Correction: some acne has started to rear it's ugly head (no pun intended). I never get acne so I have no doubt that it's from the M-TST

Side Note: Bi's are sore as hell today so something was certainly working yesterday. I personally treasure my DOMS. If I'm not sore the next day then I don't feel as if I worked hard enough the previous day and DOMS in my bi's has always avoided me.
    Try this stretch after your arms session. It will help reduce DOMS in a very positive manner. It will help you recover faster, better shape the muscle, and increase the growth of the muscle. Stand in the middle of a smythe machine with a BB in it at about shoulder high. Stand facing away from the bar, reach backward and grab the bar palms down(hands on top of bar.) Sink down into a squatting position first, and if you can hack it, into a kneeling position. If you can hack that, sink your butt down to the floor. Continue the stretch for 60 seconds. Do not be surprised if you don't make it 6osec as it will be very painful, lol. IT is an extreme stretch for bi's. If you last 60sec, then you need to raise the bar up another notch, because it is too low.

21. Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowel View Post
    . I personally treasure my DOMS. If I'm not sore the next day then I don't feel as if I worked hard enough the previous day and DOMS in my bi's has always avoided me.
    i feel the same way..

22. I'm fighting the urge to bump the SD up to 20 mg. Anyone have any thoughts?

23. Bump it. Lol, I never hesitate with that stuff. Good feedback on those bi lifts though. I'm pretty sure I know what article your referring to. I'll have to throw some of those in my next split.

24. Quote Originally Posted by bassgod272 View Post
    Try this stretch after your arms session. It will help reduce DOMS in a very positive manner. It will help you recover faster, better shape the muscle, and increase the growth of the muscle. Stand in the middle of a smythe machine with a BB in it at about shoulder high. Stand facing away from the bar, reach backward and grab the bar palms down(hands on top of bar.) Sink down into a squatting position first, and if you can hack it, into a kneeling position. If you can hack that, sink your butt down to the floor. Continue the stretch for 60 seconds. Do not be surprised if you don't make it 6osec as it will be very painful, lol. IT is an extreme stretch for bi's. If you last 60sec, then you need to raise the bar up another notch, because it is too low.
    Good idea bro. I've been considering incorporating some DC stretching into my workouts. I don't want to try DC, at least not now, but the stretching portion has always intrigued me. Seems as if your liking it. I might throw in the chest stretch after today's workout just to see how it feels. I'll definitely try the bicep stretch next arm workout.

25. Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    Bump it. Lol, I never hesitate with that stuff. Good feedback on those bi lifts though. I'm pretty sure I know what article your referring to. I'll have to throw some of those in my next split.
    Bumped it is! I just needed someone to agree with me haha, and yes you know exactly what article I'm referring to. Give some of that article's suggestions a try. The man definitely knows his stuff.

26. Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTowel View Post
    I'm fighting the urge to bump the SD up to 20 mg. Anyone have any thoughts?
    I think you know what I'll say!! BUMP DAT SH*T UP!!!

27. Day 8 - Monday, August 4, 2008

Chest

Bench Press

225 x 10
    255 x 8
    265 x 6
    275 x 5 (assisted 5th rep)

Incline

185 x 8
    195 x 7
    205 x 6

Dumbbell Bench

90 x 10
    90 x 9
    90 x 8

Post Workout Thoughts:

Very solid workout. Didn't have my normal workout partner so I was stuck with a half ass spotter, but no big deal. For some reason my chest was absolutely demolished after the bench press and by the time I finished inline and made my way to dumbbells it was all I could do to move them. Needless to say I had an insane pump going by the time I was finished. I would have done some flies, but by the time I finished my shoulder was starting to feel pretty sore, along with my entire left arm, but all in all it was a very good workout. Flat barbell bench, last set of 275 went from 3 reps (with assistance on third) to 5 reps (with assistance on fifth). Incline went from 195 for 6 reps to 205 for 6 reps.

Weight upon waking: 202.5 lbs (In the words of Ronnie....YEA BUDDY!!!)

28. to further quote the great theologian, St Ron Coleman, "ain't nutt'n but a peanut."

Nice bench and you've been very consistent with your workouts. Looking good.

and damn, your weight is Heathing up.

I've been trying to make that "Heath up" thing work ever since I read his article in FLEX, j/k. Seriously though, your weight is climbing fast.
    NSCA - CSCS

29. Day 9 - Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back

Deadlifts

225 x 8
    315 x 8
    405 x 8
    435 x 5
    455 x 2
    315 x 10

T-Bar Rows

2 Plate x 12
    3 Plate x 12
    4 Plate x 10
    3 Plate x 12
    3 Plate x 12

Pulldowns (Palms facing each other)

132 x 12
    156 x 10
    168 x 9
    180 x 6 + 2 drop sets

Dumbbell Rows

90 x 10
    90 x 9
    90 x 8

Post Workout Thoughts

Incredible workout! I was worried about possible back pumps so I've dosed probably close to 15 grams of taurine today split between this morning and preworkout. I then proceeded to throughly stretch my back between sets as I blasted my old deadlift records. Last week my last two sets were 405 for 6 reps and 425 for 3 reps. This week my last three sets were 405 for 8 reps, 435 for 5 reps, and 455 for 2 reps. **** yea!

I did T-Bar rows for the first time today. I really liked the contraction I got in my back doing them. 4 plates was a little heavy as I felt my form starting to slip and the contraction getting worse, so I decided to drop back down to 3 plates and really focus on the contraction and just getting the overall feel for the exercise.

After the T-Bar rows I went to pulldowns. Once again I did them using the bar with handles on the end allowing me to grip the bar so that my palms were facing one another. I love the contraction and the pump I get doing them in this manner. If anyone is struggling feeling regular pulldowns or pullups in there lat's, I highly suggest giving this a exercise a chance. Really focus on getting a full, complete, controlled contraction so you can really feel your lower lat's firing.

Weight upon waking: 203 lbs

30. Day 3
    Deadlifts

135 x 8
    225 x 8
    315 x 8
    365 x 8
    405 x 5
    315 x 10

vs

Day 9
    Deadlifts

225 x 8
    315 x 8
    405 x 8
    435 x 5
    455 x 2

Looking good. You're on your way to the 5 wheels club by the peak or the end of your cycle at this rate.

:dl::dl::dl::dl::dl:
    NSCA - CSCS
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Quest for Lean Mass!!!
    By geminderh in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 08:00 PM
  2. p-plex quest for mass
    By bayoubeef in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 01:57 PM