Alexander's strength training log

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
This is going to basically be a modified Westside training routine. I've been doing a bodybuilding routine for a while, so it's time to get strong.

My current approx lifts:
(all raw, no suit, no wraps, no belt)
Squat-495x6
Deadlift-605x1
Inc Bench- 365x3
Bench-385x5

Stats:
6', 233, approx 11%BF

Supps:
beta alanine
synthesize by avant labs
WMS
citrulline malate
RPM
l-tyrosine
whey and micellar casein

Not sure what my goals really are, but I'd like to deadlift 650(I may start using a belt), and incline bench 405 for a few reps. Today was my first westside style workout(not ever), since stopping my bodybuilding routine.

Sunday- Dynamic Bench

Flat bench-205x3x3x3x3x3x3 w/ one set of chains(approx 40# at top)-speed was pretty good, felt a little weird trying to press so fast.

D-bell presses-130#x12x10-had not done these for a while, should go up in weight quickly. Also I need to get fatter dumbell handles. I have the skinny olympic handles and they friggin hurt.

Very CG incline presses-225#x10x7-whatever.

Pulldowns-150# 3 sets of 15

Lateral raises-35# 2 sets of 15

Pretty good workout. Tomorrow will be Max Effort Sq/Dl, can't wait. Think I'll do heavy rack deads, but not to a 1rm.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
There goes the neighborhood. I guess they'll let anyone start a thread these days.:duel:

Are your bench numbers touch n go or paused? For hating BP, you're pretty good at it.

What do you think about Synthesize (if you've used it long enough)?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Touch n go. I just started the synthesize 2 days ago. I'll let you know how it goes. Akiyama>Anderson.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You're killing me. What happened on the ME squat and heavy rack pulls?

Oh, and what do mean by "CG" in the "very CG incline presses"?

Edit: Duh, CG = close grip.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't lift yesterday, got fvcked over at work. I worked out today instead.

Rack pulls from knee-605# x8. Felt I could've got a few more, but my legs were shaking uncontrollably. I need to work on my leg strength, that's one place I've been slacking on.

GHR-3 sets 15 w/ 45# plate held at chest.

Close stance squats- 225 for 2 sets of 25.

Did a set of decline sit ups and called it a day. Pretty good workout. I used a belt on the rack pulls, and it did seem to help. I'm gonna try and get comfortable with the belt, as it should help my lifts.

CG=Close Grip, Jas. Tomorrow is Max Effort Bench. Probably gonna do some 5 board presses.

My bad Jas, I see you realized what CG meant.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Today's workout was not very good.

-4 board press(6 inches) 405x4, felt a little twinge on pec next to pec/delt tie in.
-Rack lockouts(6-8 inches of pressing, med close grip) 455x6
-Some rowing and ring presses.

I just felt like my CNS was too taxed or something. No matter how hard I tried to get myself going I just didn't have it. Then I twinged my pec to make matters worse. I don't thinks it's anything bad, but I'll have to play it a little safe for a while. Speed deads and some leg work tomorrow, or maybe saturday if I feel like I do today.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Not bad numbers but it sounds like you have better ones in you.

Since you talked about shaking uncontrollably, one of my friends tried a 605 DL today and got it just over his knees, nearly done, and started shaking more violently than anyone I've ever seen. Not like the little fast shakes but big long back and forth movements that got wider with each one. He had to drop it because he was hitting his legs so hard. I was rolling around laughing.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the shakes I was getting were the smaller quicker variety. I've had the big long back and forth style also, and they are even funnier to the guy doing them then to the onlookers. You just can't believe that your body is doing something so ridiculous.

I definitely have better numbers in me. Man, I love heavy deads can't wait til monday again. Next week I'll stick with 605 on racks, but lower the bar 2 inches(high shin) and attempt to get the same reps or more.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Speed deads-315# 6 sets of 1 rep. Speed seemed good.

SL deads-365# 2 sets 10 reps

MR squats-close stance-365# 2 sets 10 reps. Doing Manta Ray close stance to try to develop quads a little, they are tiny.

Abs and that was it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Dyn Bench

Bench-205# w 1 set of chains 6 sets of 3. Speed was good, seemed same as last week.

D-bell presses-140# 10, 7

CG incline presses-225# 2 sets of 10

Pulldowns 150# 3 sets of 15

Lateral raises 35# 2 sets of 15

Decent workout. I need to try to sleep better or something, my mojo seems to be lacking. Tomorrow is rack dead day, thats the day that really counts in my book.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice workout. You mentioned wanting to get new dumbell handles. Do you workout at home or bring handles with you to your gym to add more weight than the dumbells there?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nice workout. You mentioned wanting to get new dumbell handles. Do you workout at home or bring handles with you to your gym to add more weight than the dumbells there?
I usually workout at home. I have like a half squat rack type deal, chains, bands, olympic dumbells that can hold probably 200#+, standard d-bell handles that can hold up to 85#, a few different bars, trap, tri, curl, cambered bar(which I never use), dip station, GHR, modified Reverse Hyper(using low cable sometimes with bands). It's a very small workout area, and it's always a mess(I'm lazy). I also workout at a community center sometimes just to mix it up. I'm going to order some fat handled olympic d-bells right now, since you reminded me.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Rack lockouts(high shin, 4" lower than last week)-695# x1. I was feeling these today. Originally I had planned to go 4" lower than last week with the same weight and see if I could match reps, but I felt strong so I went heavy. Almost tried 715#, but I bailed which was probably smart.

GHR's-3 sets 15 w/45# plate held at chest.

Some pulldowns and abs and rolled out.

Good workout. I feel normal again, not all CNS fried out.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Rack lockouts(high shin, 4" lower than last week)-695# x1. I was feeling these today. Originally I had planned to go 4" lower than last week with the same weight and see if I could match reps, but I felt strong so I went heavy. Almost tried 715#, but I bailed which was probably smart.

GHR's-3 sets 15 w/45# plate held at chest.

Some pulldowns and abs and rolled out.

Good workout. I feel normal again, not all CNS fried out.
Great numbers, man. Can't wait to see where your full DL is at now.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you still having sleep issues Alex? If you want I can ship you some REM that I have laying around. It's always given me amazing sleep quality.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
thursday's workout

4 board press-425# x3
rack lockouts(6" pressing)-475# x5
cable rows and ring presses

Decent. Felt better than last weeks max effort.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Are you still having sleep issues Alex? If you want I can ship you some REM that I have laying around. It's always given me amazing sleep quality.
I'm actually a good sleeper, but my crackhead habits screw up my schedule. I don't think any sleep aid would help when I take a 3 hour nap at 5pm, wake up at 8, take some stims pre workout, then I'm wired til at least 2am. I just need to have the will power to not take that nap. I really appreciate the offer, but I really don't need a sleep aid at all.

Big fan of the sig, both of em.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
SyntheSIZE beta or final?
Final version. I've been drinking it with my meals, morning, post workout and final meal of the day. I've noticed that I look a bit more vascular, and I think it may have helped a bit with strength, but it is still early. I'm glad you asked, because it makes me feel a little bit sick when I drink it. I think I may just need to drink more water with it or afterwards. I've been thinking of taking only 3/4 of a scoop with meals 4-5 times a day, what do you think?

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How much water are you taking with it and after?

Also, until Dominate and MANA come out, you may want to do-

First or last meal of the day
Pre-workout
Post-workout

But yeah, if your stomach doesn't get used to it for some reason, try breaking it up into smaller doses throughout the day. Still take it with meals, though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, almost none. Is it crucial? I'll try the method you suggested, and start drinking at least 8oz water afterward.

I also have a bunch of tubs of Supercarb. I'm trying to bulk, any suggestions?

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, you need to drink more water just to aid in digestion and help "volumize" your muscles, but also to dilute the ingredients and make them a little less harsh on your tum-tumsies.

Yeah, take some SuperCarb with several meals throughout the day and of course, take it to carb. load pre-workout and with a faster digesting carb like WMS post-workout.

earlyriser73

earlyriser73

Awards
Awesome log, subscribed. I always have my best gains when using WS principles.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Damn you are a strong boy!

Particularly your incline bench.

i would recomend getting a belt for the deadlifts. wearing it super tight isn't nescessary for pulling IMHO. And a good belt is a huge difference when squatting and having something to push that stomach against.

Time to Get STRONG!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
sat dyn squat

315 6 sets of 2

rev hypers 60# 3 sets 12

abs

Kept it short, felt like crap.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, you need to drink more water just to aid in digestion and help "volumize" your muscles, but also to dilute the ingredients and make them a little less harsh on your tum-tumsies.

Yeah, take some SuperCarb with several meals throughout the day and of course, take it to carb. load pre-workout and with a faster digesting carb like WMS post-workout.
Thanks Savage. I'll let you know how the supps work out for me.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Damn you are a strong boy!

Particularly your incline bench.

i would recomend getting a belt for the deadlifts. wearing it super tight isn't nescessary for pulling IMHO. And a good belt is a huge difference when squatting and having something to push that stomach against.

Time to Get STRONG!
Thanks man. Inclines are much more natural for me, flat bench has always been a bit awkward, not sure why. What I really need to be doing is working on my squat. I always neglect it, because deadlifting is just more fun for me. I have a belt, and I started using it about 2 weeks ago, it has seemed to help already, but I'm still not entirely used to it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man. Inclines are much more natural for me, flat bench has always been a bit awkward, not sure why. What I really need to be doing is working on my squat. I always neglect it, because deadlifting is just more fun for me. I have a belt, and I started using it about 2 weeks ago, it has seemed to help already, but I'm still not entirely used to it.
How about we do some sort of a squat improvement challenge when my contest is over in Dec? We'll see who can add more pounds onto their squat in a certain period of time. I should say that I always wears knee wraps for sets over 400 because my girlish knees seem to bother me without them. Anywho, this might motivate us both more and we can come up with some sort of prize for the winner or punishment for the loser.

We pretty much tied on that incline challenge, right?;) :twisted:

BTW, I've got a race to a 250 standing military and 350 push press/jerk with some local friends. Feel free to try this if you want to as well.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
How about we do some sort of a squat improvement challenge when my contest is over in Dec? We'll see who can add more pounds onto their squat in a certain period of time. I should say that I always wears knee wraps for sets over 400 because my girlish knees seem to bother me without them. Anywho, this might motivate us both more and we can come up with some sort of prize for the winner or punishment for the loser.

We pretty much tied on that incline challenge, right?;) :twisted:

BTW, I've got a race to a 250 standing military and 350 push press/jerk with some local friends. Feel free to try this if you want to as well.
I'm down for the squat challenge. I need to see where my max is at on squats soon. I really have no idea, could be between 550-600. I am starting to use a belt so that should help, and I have some old knee wraps that I'll probably use when going heavy, not wraps actually, just knee sleeves.

I think I'll pass on the push press challenge for now. The standing military challenge may go down similar to the speed walking contest I had with a friend. He was dusting me in speed walking, so I started kind of running, it was debatable. I'm being an idiot, but seriously is their a 1 inch knee bend allowed, you know what I'm saying.

Here's today's workout-dyn bench

Bench 135# 6 sets of 3(monster mini's doubled) good speed, the monster mini's may be a bit much for me(probably 60# at bottom, 150# at top)

dumbell presses-110# 18, 16(anytime reps go over 12, I suck)

incline CG bench-225# 9, 7(couldn't get 10 and 10 like last week? Was going a little slower trying to focus on tri's)

pulldowns and lateral raises and called it quits. Pretty good workout, felt stronger than I was.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm down for the squat challenge. I need to see where my max is at on squats soon. I really have no idea, could be between 550-600. I am starting to use a belt so that should help, and I have some old knee wraps that I'll probably use when going heavy, not wraps actually, just knee sleeves.

I think I'll pass on the push press challenge for now. The standing military challenge may go down similar to the speed walking contest I had with a friend. He was dusting me in speed walking, so I started kind of running, it was debatable. I'm being an idiot, but seriously is their a 1 inch knee bend allowed, you know what I'm saying.

Here's today's workout-dyn bench

Bench 135# 6 sets of 3(monster mini's doubled) good speed, the monster mini's may be a bit much for me(probably 60# at bottom, 150# at top)

dumbell presses-110# 18, 16(anytime reps go over 12, I suck)

incline CG bench-225# 9, 7(couldn't get 10 and 10 like last week? Was going a little slower trying to focus on tri's)

pulldowns and lateral raises and called it quits. Pretty good workout, felt stronger than I was.
Don't even think about a 1 inch knee bend on the standing military. :nono: Extreme backbending is, of course, completely legal. :D Nice workout, Big Dogg.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Don't even think about a 1 inch knee bend on the standing military. :nono: Extreme backbending is, of course, completely legal. :D Nice workout, Big Dogg.
The other day I was at Bestbuy and some fat fvck who thought he was a bad ass was walking with his arms all flailed out and gritting on everyone, sure enough this disgusting fvck got into his obnoxious raised truck and the license plate read "Big Dogg". I can almost guarantee this guy had "Big Dogg" tatted on himself somewhere. If their was any justice in this world he would've had "Fat Fvck" on his license plate:donut: :rofl:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The other day I was at Bestbuy and some fat fvck who thought he was a bad ass was walking with his arms all flailed out and gritting on everyone, sure enough this disgusting fvck got into his obnoxious raised truck and the license plate read "Big Dogg". I can almost guarantee this guy had "Big Dogg" tatted on himself somewhere. If their was any justice in this world he would've had "Fat Fvck" on his license plate:donut: :rofl:
Excellent, what a doofus. I actually find people who think so highly of themselves, when they have no reason too, absolutely hilarious. Not really in a "I want any direct interaction with them sort of way", more in a "sit back at a distance and be amazed at why this dude thinks he's sweet". Of course, it's only funny for a little while. The hiked up truck is perfect.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
can't believe you guys have a problem with my truck fvckers!

Big Dogg

:run:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
tuesday's workout-max effort lower

Rack lockouts(went down to plates elevated 4")-655#, tried 675#, got it up 1". I was pretty happy with 655#. I need to move on to something else next ME lower day.

GHR-2 sets 20

Back raises-2 sets 20

That was it. Hopefully my olympic dumbells with fatty handles will be here for bench tomorrow. I want to see how many reps I can get at 150#.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
solid session man.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
thursday's workout-max effort upper

extra wide grip bench press(knuckles 1 inch outside rings)-275#-14, 295#-10

rolling dumbell tri ext's- 40#-12,12,10,10 (30 sec rest between sets)

cable rows-180#-16, 14, 12

laterals-35#-3 sets of 12

Kind of a hypertrophy day.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
saturday's workout-dynamic lower

Speed deads-315#-3 sets of 1, worked up to 545#. It came up way slower than I had expected. If I maxed today I would've probably got 605# max. Probably doing too much heavy deadlifting, as I did a 655#(4" rack) deadlift 4 days ago.

MR close stance squats-275# 2 sets of 15

That was it. Don't know why I decided to work up on deadlifts, pretty stupid. Regardless I think I need to work on the bottom of the deadlift, any tips would be appreciated. Also, when doing regular deads my belt digs into my floating ribs, guess I need a different belt.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Speed deads-315#-3 sets of 1, worked up to 545#. It came up way slower than I had expected. If I maxed today I would've probably got 605# max. Probably doing too much heavy deadlifting, as I did a 655#(4" rack) deadlift 4 days ago.
You're probably just burnt out man. The belt kind of sucks at the bottom of a DL for me too. It's always in the way. If I don't time my eating well and eat shortly before my DL workout it pushes my food up in my stomach to uncomfortable levels at the bottom of a DL.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You're probably just burnt out man. The belt kind of sucks at the bottom of a DL for me too. It's always in the way. If I don't time my eating well and eat shortly before my DL workout it pushes my food up in my stomach to uncomfortable levels at the bottom of a DL.
Thanks for the advice. Do you know of any way to improve the bottom of the deadlift?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I've heard that rack squats with the bar starting just below the bottom of the sternum should help. Just do heavy singles.

Otherwise the book "starting strength" recommends "halting deadlifts" where you do the first part of the motion from the floor to just above the knee and then drop the weight. The body is supposed to respond well to high reps of these, something like a set of 8 at 85% of 1 RM of the full DL. Since it's a partial motion, it shouldn't take as much of a toll on the CNS.

This is where I'm weak too so these are the two things that I'm going to try.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Oh and a nother thing that might help is a cool approach like Benedikt:

Magnusson's an amazing DLer but I've gotta laugh at his "setup" for the lift.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
How the hell are his legs so straight at the start of the deadlift? His back isn't at a disadvantageous angle even with his legs so straight. Is his lower back rounded a bit? Good sh*t.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, his legs are pretty straight. Not sure what that's all about, but it doesn't seem to hinder him. Could it have to do with the shirt?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
thursdays workout-max upper

dumbell bench-140#-11,9

military rack lockouts(6-8")-275-15(first time on these, felt a little awkward, will go heavier next time)

rolling dumbell ext-40#-4 sets of 12(30 sec rest between sets)

pulldowns-160#-3 sets of 12(my cable pulldown is harder than most, so I may or may not suck at these)

laterals-35#-3 sets of 12

Decent workout. I missed a few workouts, planned to take a few day break, but ended up partying way too much. Damn those beam and cokes are addictive. Anyways I'm back on track and won't take a break for quite some time.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Are the military rack lockouts a bench assistance exercise?

Nice workout. I should do something today too after all the crap I just ate.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Are the military rack lockouts a bench assistance exercise?

Nice workout. I should do something today too after all the crap I just ate.
Yeah, they are a bench assistance exercise. I guess they build stability in the shoulders and help with lockout strength. I thought I would be doing maybe 365x3-5 on these, but I guess not. I think I can work my way up there pretty quickly though.

Go do another one of those vagina workout's with your girl, and no I don't mean banging her. I'm headed for round 2 of glutten bowl:donut: Weighed myself after round 1 and was expecting to be 240ish, but was only 235? We'll see what the weight's at after round 2.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure you've been partying too much hanging with your boys, Alex.

But you can always do some cardio to work off any weight gain.