Highlanda01602's Quest for the USMC 300 PFT

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Highlanda01602's Quest for Ultimate Overall Ability

Greetings,
This will be my log, for the most part adressing endurance and overall conditioning. It's tough to say I have a "schedule", as I mix workouts up all the time to keep the stimulus flowing. In this log, I will be training running, swimming, and crossfit inspired workouts.

DIET
My diet fluctuates, with no nailed down protocol, but I maintain a clean diet by cycling through select foods. I can say that I consistantly get ~350-450g carbs/~200g protein/~50g fats.

The foods I cycle are as follows:
Proteins - Chicken, tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, occational lean ground hamburg/turkey, occational fish steaks, and the occasional rib-eye steaks.
Carbohydrates - Pasta, brown rice, oatmeal, kidney beans, low-sugar baked beans (I drain at least 50% of the sodium from the beans).
Fats - Fish oils, low-sodium nuts, rarely an egg yolk.

(Fruits and vegetables as sides to meals, or sometimes used as a boost in between my pre-workout meal and my actual workout)
Vegetables - Asparagus, brocolli, green beans, onions.
Fruits - Apples, bananas.

TRAINING
Workouts are normally crossfit inspired, and sometimes taken directly off the site. I use mainly the Navy Seal crossfit site, but I do check into the main crossfit.com site often.

Again, my training schedule fluctuates, due to how things proceed. One thing I do hold fairly strict to is a Monday/Wednesday/Friday crossfit inspired weight routine.
Monday - Compound PUSH focused workout
Wednesday - Compound PULL focused workout
Friday - Compound full-body workout, lightly incorporating legs

Cardio - I strive to run at least 5 days a week, and I've found myself utilizing a 4 on/1 off protocol. I take the occasional day off if necessary however.

Swimming - I strive to swim at least 3 times a week, with two of those sessions being of decent PT (as in more than 30 mins of swimming). I often swim as a recovery from a crossfit inspired workout, due to the gym having an indoor pool right there.

Although I have been working towards a 300 PFT for the USMC, my main goal is ultimate ability through conditioning. Being able to do 20 pullups/100 crunches in 2 mins/18-minute 3 mile is impressive, but I don't train precisely for that. I train overall conditioning. Rarely, I will do a mock PFT, to see where I'm at on the USMC scale.

At the start of this log, I would say I'm somewhere around a 275 PFT. I have swapped from underhand chinups to overhand pullups, and this switch about a month ago caused me to lose a few reps. I don't do too much ab work, rather compound lifts, but occasionally I will. Run time, I'm not so sure of. Leaving OCS Juniors, I ran a 20:47 3-miler. I have yet since then to test my 3-miler, but rather going for shorter speed runs (1.5-2.5 miles) and longer endurance runs (4 miles, 5 miles). If I could only improve ONE thing in my PFT, it would be my running. I'm training hard to get my 3-mile time down to 18:00.

SUPPLEMENTS
I have an array of supplements, some of which I'm testing out to see how I respond. My main goal is training, so I don't mind spending a good bit of money into supplements. I keep my diet clean, and the supplements are like icing on the cake so to speak. Currently, I'm using:
Multivitamin
BCAA's via Scivation Xtend
Protein powder via Oryx Goat Whey
Anabolic Pump / P-Slin
PowerFULL
Drive / and occasionally RPM
Posidon
Sesamin
And assorted NP bulk powders - Beta-Alanine, Citrulline Malate, and occasionally ALCAR.

It is a lot of supplements, and I plan on possibly dropping the AP/P-Slin combo, Drive, and Sesamin. This is largely in due part to help I've received on this board for different endurance supplements. Currently in shipment, I will be trying:

Albuterol Liquid (cycling this for the first time for endurance)
Mitocarnitine
Uridine
Colostrum
Rhodiola
Cordyceps Liquid
Bulk Glutamine and Taurine for recovery purposes

I'm looking forward to my new endurance stack, and very pumped to get it started. Whenever I make a change in my supplement diet, I will make a note of it.

Currently, I'm 5.11" @ ~175. Havn't weighed myself in a while, as it really doesn't mean anything to me. Results on my run time and in the gym are what madders for me, and that is what I will be tracking in this log!

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
10/27 - Log Entry 1
Saturday

Today I fast-paced two miles, followed by swimming ~2/3rds of a mile. Returning to my apartment, I finished with some light situps and flutter kicks.

Running - Two faster pace miles @ 14:26
Today's run was tough. Ran much slower than usual, and was still beat from it. It was pouring rain and I think my clothes absorbed 15 pounds of water or something. Just wasn't my day for running I suppose.

Swimming - ~2/3rds mile (1100 yards) in about 35 mins
I havn't been tracking swim times yet, due to the fact that I'm still a pretty awful swimmer. Started to swim last month.. great PT workouts.

Ab work - 80 situps in ~2:15, 1 minute of flutter kicks
I do this often, as in I throw in random bodyweight exercises. I do plenty of pushups and random pullups to keep improving my bodyweight strength.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
First of all, good luck. The highest PFT score I ever got was a 293. I could never get an 18:00 minute run time. Of course I never tried to better myself as far as running goes (hate it). Anyway, I'll definitely be following your log. I also noticed your handle. Are you from Worcester? Oorah Devil.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
First of all, good luck. The highest PFT score I ever got was a 293. I could never get an 18:00 minute run time. Of course I never tried to better myself as far as running goes (hate it). Anyway, I'll definitely be following your log. I also noticed your handle. Are you from Worcester? Oorah Devil.
Hey man, thanks a lot. A 293 PFT... very impressive. That's somewhere around a 19:00, right? Very fast stuff. Hopefully I'll be there soon.

And yes, I am from Worcester! How on earth did you know that!! lol

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
1 point off for every 10 seconds past 18:00, so my run time was just over 19 minutes. That sh!t about killed me! :lol:
I'm also curious as to how your supplementation works out. I wanted to stack AP/P-Slin/Powerfull/Cissus in December.

How'd I know where you lived? I'm just badass like that. :) 01602 brother. My ex and two children live in Worcester. I'll probably find myself out there once I'm done with school.

What's your MOS?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
1 point off for every 10 seconds past 18:00, so my run time was just over 19 minutes. That sh!t about killed me! :lol:
I'm also curious as to how your supplementation works out. I wanted to stack AP/P-Slin/Powerfull/Cissus in December.

How'd I know where you lived? I'm just badass like that. :) 01602 brother. My ex and two children live in Worcester. I'll probably find myself out there once I'm done with school.

What's your MOS?
Pretty cool about Worcester man... small world! I'm currently up in Amherst at school (UMass), but if you're ever in Worcester we should definitly get a workout in sometime!
I've been following the basic AP/P-Slin protocol, using P-Slin on my pre-workout meal, and AP 2x daily on other carbo-meals. Many users report that it takes a bit of experimentation to find the "optimal" amount of carbs to get the full effects, without feeling bloated/weighed down. Personally, I can down 150g pre-workout and be fired up and good to go within minutes of finishing.
I haven't really experimented with Powerfull, so I've been using the basic protocol that cooperates with AP/P-Slin. One pill 30-60 mins after breakfast, two in the same manner pre-workout, and two before bed to get the sleep benefits.
So basically, here's a rundown of a diet I've been following:
Meal One - 1st AP + 60-120g carbs.... ~45mins later (1)PF
Meal Two
Meal Three (pre-workout) - P-Slin + 80-150g carbs... ~45mins later (2)PF
Meal Four (post-workout)
Meal Five - Either the 2nd AP here or... in meal six
Meal Six - ~45 mins later, (2)PF
So I've been running it usually with (5) Powerfull's daily, (2) AP's, and (1) P-Slin.

However, like today, shiat got jacked up. I work a graveyard shift two nights a week at my univesity, UMass, as a police cadet (lame I know, lol, just resume-building for a possible future later on). Messes up my sleep schedule pretty bad - woke up at 1:20 today. Since the Red Sox could clinch tonight, total department recall in for the game (gotta miss is, incase theres a riot).
I'm actually not a Marine just yet, just a candidate for commissioning. I've been through one of my two phases of Officer Candidate School down in Quantico, VA, which was one of my most proudest moments in my life. Met some great people, got the **** kicked out of me, had a great time. Going back this summer for my final phase, OCS Seniors, and I want to be in the best shape possible. My hopeful MOS will be 0302 Infantry officer, which is something I want really freakin' bad.

Today's workout is going to be hustled a bit. I was originally planning on doing a 5-miler easy recovery pace, and no cross-fit (was planning on max effort pullups/pushups tommarow to see where I'm at). I'm feelin' a bit of some crossfit today, and will attempt to crossfit and then get my 5-miler in before I head out tonight for work.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
10/28 - Log Entry 2
Sunday

- Reverse pyramid crossfit, 20-15-10-5 consisting of 65lb thrusters, pullups, and dips... 12:47 total time
- Followed by a 5-mile recovery run.... 42:02 (8:25 pace)

Crossfit - 20-15-10-5
Reverse pyramid set, 20-15-10-5 reps. Movements were 65lb thrusters, pullups and dips. Example = 20 thrusters to 20 pullups to 20 dips, followed by 15 of each. End time was 12:47. This workout was originally supposed to be an inverted pyramid (got it off of Navy Seal's crossfit site), going from 20-15-10-5-10-15-20. I was feeling pretty worked by the halfway point, and many of my pullups had some sort of kip involved. I will come back to this workout later on to not only beat my time of 12:47, but to actually complete the entire workout from 20 to 20.

Running - 5 mile recovery @ 42:02
It took me approximately 20 minutes to get from my crossfit workout to running on the track. Recovery run, 5 miles, completed at an 8:25 pace. Most of my running is done on the track for simple time tracking purposes, as was this run.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Once I get back to the States and have some free time, I'll be heading back out to Worcester to see the kids. I have a few Marine buddies in Boston who I was in the infantry with that I usually stay with so maybe you could come out one night. Us Marines stick together brother.

I 'll be keeping track of this log for sure. Looking forward to seeing how you do. So infantry officer huh? Good deal. I had the privledge of working with some pretty good officers when I was in.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
10/29 - Log Entry 3
Monday

- "Heavy" push day, consisting of pushup test, flat bench, standing military, and dips @ total time of 36:30
- 2 mile speed run @ 13:39 (6:50 pace)

Weight training - "Heavy" Push Day
Began with a 2:00 pushup test, with 68 pushups. Definitly need to get that number up... it has dropped a distance.
Flat bench press (5) sets of 5 reps @ 175... 120 second rest intervals
Standing military (3) sets of 5 reps @ 125... 120 second rest intervals
Dips (3) sets of 10 bodyweight reps... 30/40/50 seconds rest intervals

Running - 2 faster paced miles @ 13:39
Run took place somewhere around 10 hours after my lifting session. Felt good to get out there - almost didn't make it due to time and a busy day. Today was the first dose I took of Liquid Albuterol. I will be testing this out for the next coming days, and possibly weeks depending on results.

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
Good looking plan there Devil Pup! Its strange how us Marines seem to find each other whereever we go. I miss active duty every day and I have been out 10 years now. OOh-Rah and keep up the good work.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Good looking plan there Devil Pup! Its strange how us Marines seem to find each other whereever we go. I miss active duty every day and I have been out 10 years now. OOh-Rah and keep up the good work.
Thanks man, you two Marines motivate the **** out of me even by just posting! 'rah!

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
whats truly motivating and honorable is young guys like you who are motivated and still believe in something in these times of anti-war and anti-military. You already seem to have the warrior mindset being that you are already preparing hardcore before you even go in. That says alot. Our troops could be in much better shape if the recruiters had more time to get the fat-bodies in shape before they arrive at boot camp. Not just doing the minimums, but in shape running a first class PFT or better.

My best PFT score was 286. Back in the day we did situps and kip style pullups. I did 104 situps in 2 minutes, 42 pullups, and a 20:25 run. I have never been a good runner and this was all I had.

Anyway good luck, stay motivated, believe in what you are doing, and always be a professional even in the worst of times.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
whats truly motivating and honorable is young guys like you who are motivated and still believe in something in these times of anti-war and anti-military. You already seem to have the warrior mindset being that you are already preparing hardcore before you even go in. That says alot. Our troops could be in much better shape if the recruiters had more time to get the fat-bodies in shape before they arrive at boot camp. Not just doing the minimums, but in shape running a first class PFT or better.
Semper Fi brother. Being in the Air Force Reserves now, I appreciate even more what I did while I was in the Marines. The AF is so much more "lax" and the standards are just abismal. They don't call it the "Chair" Force for nothing. :lol:

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
10/31 - Log Entry 5
Wednesday

- Crossfit inspired workout with pull emphasis
- No running today... attended a MMA class instead

Crossfit
Started things off with a Tabata Protocol upper body test. I failed to track numbers, due to paying close attention to time. Tabata Protocol (HIIT) - Exercise 20 seconds, rest 10, repeat. Then moved towards more back emphasized workouts.
Tabata Protocol for:
(5) sets of pullups, then ~30 second break
(5) sets of pushups, then ~30 second break
(5) sets of abdominals
--------------180 second break------------
(4) sets / 30s rest - 135lb x 8 deadlifts superset to close handed pullups
120 second break
(2) sets / 30s rest - 95lb x 8 powerclean/press superset to 21 decline bench situps
120 second break
(3) sets / 30s rest between arms - 70lb x 12 alternating dumbell bent over row
60 second break
(2) sets / 30s rest - 30lb x 16, then x 6 dumbell curls

1st and 3rd set of deadlifts were conventional style, 2nd and 4th were "sumo" style. The close handed pullups followed were pretty weak - in order, 5/3/4/2. Powerclean/press went well. Will attempt an increase in weight next time. Bent over rows started with left arm, 30s break, right arm, 30s break, repeat. The dumbell curls in the end finished my gym workout, with 12 reps on the first set and then 6 slow moving reps on the second set. Upon returning to my place, I finished with a few forearm strength exercises. Enjoyed this workout - moved at a good pace.

Running
Took running off today, and rather went with a friend to a local MMA class. It was rather interesting, and most of the work was grappling. I'm looking to get into the sport, but more towards the Muay Thai kickboxing aspect.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/1 - Log Entry 6
Thursday

Running
4 mile medium pace - 30:22 @ 7:36 pace

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/2 - Log Entry 7
Friday

Swimming
1/2 mile @ ~24 minutes

Circuit Training
4 rounds of: 25 good pushups/100 jumprope reps/1 lap around track @ 13:27

Did a warmup mile at the track and headed over to my gym's pool. Planned on doing a full mile, but stopped short at 1/2 to save some for my first Muay Tai kickboxing class. Good stuff tonight, had some fun, and will definitly be training at least 4 days a week there.
Later on in the evening I went down the track to finish up a bit of training. Went for a basic circuit training course, something I have not done in a while, and I will be incorporating them more often. Felt good after the first round, and was pretty wasted by the end.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
When do plan on doing another PFT (mock or otherwise)?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
When do plan on doing another PFT (mock or otherwise)?
That is a very good question! I'm probably going to do one next week, to see where I'm at, because I truely have NO IDEA where I'm at for a fully rested max effort pullups/run time. I think I might plan for this coming Wednesday or Thursday, but I gotta plan in advance (something I barely do, normally I'll go 1-2 in advance and rearrange accordingly).

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/3 - Log Entry 8
Saturday

Stairs
3 rounds: 15 floors of stairs @ 2:56, 2:58, 3:03.... 3 min rest between rounds
Tabata protocol stairs for 3 rounds totaling 8 floors
All work done in boots

This workout was pretty great. Some tall buildings at my school, with a 16 story research building that is almost always vacant (at least in the stairwell... three elevators in the building). 24 steps to advance to the next floor, divided into flights of 12.
1st and 2nd rounds took just under 3 minutes, 3rd round took 3 seconds over 3 minutes.
The 3 rounds of Tabata finished the workout good. I got through about four floors my first round, barely 2 my second, and I didn't even make it to 2 floors on my third (took a few more seconds).

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/4 - Log Entry 9
Sunday

OFF DAY

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Just curious, but have you started wearing that weight vest you were talking about wearing in another thread?

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/5 - Log Entry 10
Monday

3-mile PFT pace @ 21:33.... 7:11 pace

Navy Seal Crossfit - 50/35/20 rep rounds of pullups, thrusters, pushups, situps, squats @ 33:41

I attempted to run a PFT 3-miler today (mock PFT), but I just wasn't feeling so powerful today. Definitly could have done much better with my diet... I think I can up the carbohydrates much more for better endurance. Last mile was terrible... first two were sub-7:00, so I definitly have some tweaking to do there. At the gym, I maxed out at 18 pullups (hoping to get this up ASAP to 20.. switched from underhand to overhand a few months ago for better functionality).
Crossfit today was pulled off of a Navy Seal crossfit site. This workout was absolutely awesome - left me wasted. First round was 50 reps of pullups, 50 45lb (just the bar) thrusters, 50 pushups, 50 situps, and 50 bodyweight squats. Second round was the same order, but 35 reps a piece, and third round was 20 reps a piece.
Round One (50 reps a piece) completed @ 15:00
Round Two (35) completed @ 27:00... 12:00 round
Round Three (20) completed @ 33:41... 8:41 round
Workout was great, but my pullups took up probably half the time. Got 18 on the first attempt, but didn't come close to that after, and form was almost completely gone by the third round. Great, great workout.

Natedogg - No I haven't started using the vest just yet. I'm considering it, but I have yet to really dedicate to it (I havn't really considered it yet because I don't want to half ass it... I would need to wear it almost all the time except for training and similiar situations).

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/6 - Log Entry 11
Tuesday

OFF DAY
Was planning on doing some sort of PT, except I'm incredibly sore. Havn't been this sore in over a half a year... looks like I really got in a great PT day in on Monday.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/7 - Log Entry 12
Wednesday

Running - ~35 minutes interval training, 300 jumprope reps

Did some interval training, starting with 10 minutes warmup. All in one consecutive circuit, jogging throughout the rest periods.
10 minute good pace / 5 minute cool down jogging / (4) 200 meter fast paces, 200 meter recovery jog in between.
Followed workout with 300 reps of jumprope, something I plan on finishing with every time I run. Once reps get really high without heavy fatigue, I plan on utilizing my weighted vest.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/8 - Log Entry 13
Thursday

Weight Lifting
(5) sets : 8 reps overhead press + 8 pullups... 90s rest between sets
Weight used - 95lb, 105lb, 105lb, 95lb, 95lb
(3) sets : Max effort dips... 120s rest
Reps hit - 30, 25, 21

Still sore in the legs, limiting training ideas. To keep things moving, I went in for a few sets of upper body work finished with a bit of recooperative rowing on the erg.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/9 - Log Entry 14
Friday

Crossfit - 10-20-30-20-10 pyramid (lower body emphasis) @ 26:23

Running - Easy 3-mile @ 22:56.... ~7:40 pace

Crossfit workout was a pyramid workout, as in 10 reps of each exercise, 20 reps of each, 30, 20, 10. The exercises were (in order):
65lb thrusters, 40lb DB swings (kettleball motion), box jumps, knee raises, and bodyweight squats.

I feel that I have a good base to work with now, in terms of crossfit workouts. It's completely different than what I did before, but now I'm going to try to stick with it day in and day out. I will be following the Navy Seal Crossfit workouts, attempting to do them as closely as written, minus the running. I plan on maintaining a separate session for running.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/10 - Log Entry 15
Saturday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USMC

Running - 50 minute varied pace

Running was time restricted, so I went with short interval paces. Went something like 20 minutes slow pace jog, to 100m fast pace + 100m recovery jog rounds, to 2 400m fast pace laps.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/12 - Log Entry 16

Running - 4 miles @ 30:43... 7:41 pace

Crossfit - Full body workout

Muay Thai - One hour

Running went alright today, but was incredibly dissapointing in the final six laps. I have had these nasty digestive issues when running lately, and having to take a "number 2" while running is horrible. The final six laps were much slower than I had hoped... stride was shorter, less push, and just worried that I'd lose it in my pants. Very frustrating, and I must find out why and how to prevent it.

Crossfit took place around 45 minutes after the conclusion of my run (went to the bathroom 3 times... ridiculous). Off the Navy Seal Crossfit site, I had to modify due to time restrictions. It was also probably better so that I could train Muay Thai with better intensity and be able to train harder tommarow. Workout was:
1 incline treadmill mile (incline @ 8.0, speed at 6.0 (10 minute pace)
25 pullups
50 135lb deadlifts
50 pushups
50 box jumps
50 decline bench situps
10 "windshield wipers"
60 2-count flutter kicks
------ Completed @ ~31 minutes

Muay Thai was great tonight... we got thrashed with bodyweight PT in the final 15 minutes after we did pad drills. I could barely keep the pace up - loved it.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/13 - Log Entry 17
Tuesday

Running - Tempo pace intervals for 2 miles
Swimming - 250m fast pace

A light day today, with a small tempo run to start things off. 1/2 mile warmup, to a 6:55 mile, 1/4 mile recovery jog, to two 100 meter sprints. Followed it up with attempting to fast pace in the pool, which took me 6:30 for 250 meters. Definitly want to get stronger in the pool, as that time isn't something to really be happy with at all!

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/14 - Log Entry 18
Wednesday

Running - TREADMILL running... interval paces for 2.5 miles
Crossfit - Dips/Pullups/Pushups
Swimming - 250 meters
Work done in ~50 minutes

Went in for a run on the treadmill today, so I could follow it up immediately with some bodyweight exercises and then wrap it up with a swim. Went with 3 fast pace intervals on the treadmill (2 half mile fast paces, and 1 quarter mile fast pace) with jogging in between for recovery. Took me about 23 minutes including the warmup. Followed it up just a few minutes later with a few sets of dips to pullups, and finished with a few sets of pushups. After some light stretching, I cooled down in the pool with a 250 meter swim.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/15 - Log Entry 19
Thursday

Running - 5 treadmill hill sprints

Went in and maxed on pullups today, only got 17. Third day in a row doing pullups however... I think I can hit 20 with a few days off, so I'm going to do that and find out.

Running came after I started on the recumbent bike. Was initially planning on doing Tabata sets on the bike (20s hard as possible, 10s off), but I had some strange pains in my lower quads/knees. Just didn't feel right. Ended up warming up on the bike, doing 3 sets of Tabata (lvl 10 on, lvl 1 recovery), and then started to feel the strange sensations in my quads/knees. Did one more single Tabata 20s, but didn't finish the final two to make the set. Moved to the treadmill.

Put the treadmill as high as it could go, and set it @ 30:00 minute mile for recovery pace (walking pace). Went with:
5 rounds of - 45 second runs @ 7:30 pace
120 second recovery in between rounds
Finished with a few minutes of light jogging for cooldown at normal treadmill height.

Absolutely something I will be doing more often when I get trapped indoors on some snowy days. Change in workout plans: Plan on running/cardio 6 days a week now, with Sundays off. New supplements too - trying Formestane, PLCAR, NA-rALA, Mitocarnitine supplements, Rhodiola, and possibly throwing Alpha Drive XXL since I have some left over.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Went in and maxed on pullups today, only got 17. Third day in a row doing pullups however... I think I can hit 20 with a few days off, so I'm going to do that and find out.
Good luck. At 5 points per, pull ups are where you make your money on the PFT. :)

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
11/16 - Log Entry 20
Friday

Crossfit - 10-20-30-20-10 @ 23:20
Running - 1 mile recovery

Today, my goal should have been to get outside and run, but I thought I'd try to squeeze in a lift before the gym closed. After my Thai boxing class I made my way over, but in a rush I arrived terribly prepared to go running afterwards. Ended up just jogging a mere MILE for a recovery after I my body wasn't feeling right in the cold. Set a PR on a crossfit routine though.

Crossfit went: 10 reps of each exercise, then 20, 30, 20, 10.
Exercises were: 65lb thrusters, 50lb kettleball snatches (used a DB), box jumps, knee raises, and BW squats.
Felt real good throughout the workout, and completed just over 3 minutes faster than my previous (and first) attempt about a week and a half ago. Last time @ 26:23, completed this one @ 23:20. Plan on going with this one again in about two weeks, hopefully cracking 20:00 (rest day before most likely will be needed).
I was planning on doing a long distance run tonight, but as mentioned earlier, I was horribly prepared. A sweatshirt was all I had to stay warm, and things were bad past a half mile in my running shorts. Dropped my winter cap accidently on my way out of my apartment. Things just didn't go my way for running today, so I'm going to call this my off day, and run through the week all the way to next Sunday. Light days in between for recovery, but I'm going to get out more often to run.

Natedogg, I bought some audio books today for my longer runs (great to keep your mind busy), and I picked up One Bullet Away by Nathanial Fick. My buddies say it's the best Marine Corps book out there for OCS candidates, but it generally just relates broadly to the USMC (as far as I know from reviews). Real excited to get listening to it - thought I'd spread the word about his book!

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
After a few days of medium intensity training, I've found that I need to hold to a solid schedule, not something that changes every day. Got a more designed workout from runnersworld.com, and I will be following it closely.

Instead of posting daily results, I hope to be able to post PFT times or PFT-like improvements from time to time. Hoping to make strides each and every week.