Business in the Log, Party in the Back: My Return to Mulletdom

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am going to preface this log with the following mission statement, so to speak:

This log is for informative, and motivation purposes. I am recovering from the concurrent injuries involved with a serious automobile accident; as a result, I have decided to track my progress in order to hopefully motivate others, and primarily, to make myself accountable for my own actions. As per this agenda, I am officially requesting this thread not be clogged. I am not willing to engage in debate and/or discussion on what is homophobic, engendered, racial, or socially inequitable slander, what constitutes "unpolitically correct behaviour", what constitutes as post-whoring, or any adjacent moral discourses therein. We all know what behaviour I am referring to, and as a result, if you feel inclined to engage in that behaviour excessively: don't fvcking post in here

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now, to the meat and potatoes.

I will be engaging in resistance training three times weekly, and long-distance-mid-tempo cardio twice weekly. My goals have changed slightly, and packing back all ~30lbs of mass as soon as possible is not necessarily conducive to my primary goals. This primary goal is more of an overall athletic performance. I wish to run faster, longer, be more explosive, and not simply look as if I can.

Weight Training

Monday:

Chest/Triceps

Barbell Press (varies)
Incline DB 3 x 12, 2:2
Decline DB 4 x 8, 2:1
Incline/Decline/Flat Flys 4 x 12, 3:2
Tri Pushdown/Dips/Rope Presses 2 x 20, 3:2

Tuesday

Back/Biceps:

Rack Deads/Conventional Deads 2 x 8, 2:1
Close-Reverse Grip Pull Downs 3 x 12, 3:2
DB Rows/BB Rows 3 x 12, 3:2
D-Bar Pulldowns 3 x 12, 3:2
Preacher, Concentration, Hammer Curls 2 x 20, 3:2

Thursday:

Legs:

My legs took the brunt of the force during my accident, so all resistance training here will be bodyweight for now at the advice of my Physiotherapist.

Also, as a note, I will be using a bi-weekly regimen of weighted resistance training and bodyweight resistance training. I.e., this week will be the above split with exercises, next week Chest/Tris will be variations on the pushup, BW Dips, etc., I will post which exercises I choose on those days.

Cardiovascular Training

10k 2x Weekly. Tuesday/Friday.

I will also be engaging in other anaerobic activities such as medicine ball sprints, ultra-rep circuit training, etc., in the pursuit of performance.

Diet:

Meal 1:

4 eggs fried, 1 cup skim milk, 1 cup All-Bran, 1 cup oats, 1 Tbsp PB.

Meal 2:

1 6oz Tuna, 1 whole grain bagel, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup oats.

Pre-Workout:

1 chicken breast, 1 cup oats

Post-Workout:

1 chicken breast, 1 cup oats.

Meal 5:

1 6oz tuna, 1 cup broccoli, 1 whole grain bagel, 1 tbsp Natty PB.

Meal 6:

12oz Salmon, 1 cup broccoli, 1 Tbsp. Natty PB.

Notes:

This diet varies depending on the severity of the training that day. Obviously, higher expenditure days take privilege over lower ones, so caloric intake will be adjusted accordingly. Also, I eat quite a bit of greens throughout the day of not enough caloric value to merit mention.

Supplements:

Fvck all. Literally nothing for the time being. No protein powder, creatine, multi vitamin, or otherwise. All gains or lack thereof will be attributed to myself for the immediate future.

Today's Workout:

8k @ 6.5 min/mile pace. 2k walking.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your injuries hasn't caused any internal issues that may arise with a 'weight lifter' supplement/food intake?

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hope all goes well. Curious as well on the no supp issue. Seems like IGF-1 has shown some promise in healing injuries....although I'm not exactly sure what those were. GL on the log!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am recovering from an injury myself. Not quite as serious as yours - nerve injury that atrophied my left pec, tri, and lat quite significantly.

I can indeed empathize with your setback and encourage you to continue moving forward. I believe the biggest step you need to take has already been taken - a positive attitude and step forward in the direction of recovery.

Good luck to you.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The no supp thing is just a personal choice, not a direct cause of my injuries. Even before my accident occurred I had noticed a tendency to credit both gains and setbacks far too much on external criteria. This way, I have an objective pathway to reference.

IGF-1 would speed the healing, however, I do not have that kind of money.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Damn man, 6.5 min per mile pace is damn good for 5+ miles, you're a deer. I would gas after 2 miles at that pace. What are you weighing these days? I'm definitely a fan of your "actually be able to do it, not just have the look" approach. Good luck Powder.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
This should be an interesting log given your current condition of recovery. Nice clean diet. I like your goals as well, and I agree that training with supps can be misleading as to how much of the gains can be attributed to them.

I would "Shogun" after half a mile at that pace.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
One more log that I will look forward to reading daily. Glad your back in the game man, GL with everything.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Every wise-ass comment I want to make will just make me look bad after that preface. Damn you.

...well good luck my little friend.

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
The return of Mullet, sweet bro. I'll be following this :D

jecko

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks fellas. As it pertains to the pace, I used to play Basketball and some track at a Provincial level in High School (I feel like a twat saying that, but it is the reason). The one good thing that came of the accident was realizing I had regained an insane endurance because of the lack of mass.

I currently weigh ~170.

Here is the most recent pic I have. It is about a month and a half post accident.

Attachments

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Every wise-ass comment I want to make will just make me look bad after that preface. Damn you.

...well good luck my little friend.
lol.

It is not as if I want this a banter-free zone, I enjoy making you look stupid PI. It's just none of the 18 posts with 700 emoticons calling people a goat or banana-hugging homo, or w/e has been pervading the board lately.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
lol.

It is not as if I want this a banter-free zone, I enjoy making you look stupid PI. It's just none of the 18 posts with 700 emoticons calling people a goat or banana-hugging homo, or w/e has been pervading the board lately.
Yea, at least I've learned to accept those who are wittier than me (i.e., everyone)...

...and those posts have always gotten on my nerves, since day 1.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea, at least I've learned to accept those who are wittier than me (i.e., everyone)...

...and those posts have always gotten on my nerves, since day 1.
As do they bother me.

Today will be Chest. The Mondy, Tuesday thing above simply should have been labelled Day 1,2 etc.,

I will report back tonight with weights, etc.,

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I take that back about me being able to do 2 miles at 6.5 min per mile pace. I attempted it yesterday, shins and lungs were absolutely screaming after 1 mile. Props on the endurance Mullett.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks dude, like I said, I ran the 400, 800, and 1500m Provincially in High School; the longer distances are in me blood.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
Nice and detailed great start on the log. Best of luck to you.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thanks dude, like I said, I ran the 400, 800, and 1500m Provincially in High School; the longer distances are in me blood.
Bet the new GF doesn't mind the 'prefontaine' skills! How did tonight's workout go?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tonight:

Weight Training-Chest

BB Press-185 x 12 x 4, 3:2
Incline DB-80 x 12 x 3, 2:2
Decline DB-90 x 8 x 2, 2:1 (back started to kill, forewent the last 2 sets)
Flys 40 x 12 x 2, 35 x 12 x 2, 3:2 (shot my wad I think)
BW Dips x 20 x 2, 3:2

Notes:

This felt pretty good today. This was the first workout since the accident where I've tried to press my limits. Broken rips, torn muscles, etc., hindered me from using any leverage on things like bench. Getting the weights up was an insanely difficult process, that is where I feel the most lumbar leverage must be used and it was tough. I honestly had alot, way more, strength than I felt I would;with that said, it is depressing nevertheless to be lifting upwards of 40-50 lbs less on every exercise than you were a few months ago, but I'll live.

Diet:

I have not missed a meal on my diet in three weeks, today was much the same.

Bodyweight:

171.5 lbs.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bet the new GF doesn't mind the 'prefontaine' skills! How did tonight's workout go?
Yeah, I haven't seen her in a month, I've been jonesin'. Going home on the 4th to surprise her for a week, and I'm taking a bottle of Aspire36 with me. So I suppose the endurance will really get tested there.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Let me know what you think about aspire36...those herbal remedies always have me skeptical.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let me know what you think about aspire36...those herbal remedies always have me skeptical.
I think the major problem with herbal remedies is that most herbalists don't understand that it's not the herb that causes the effect: it's the phyto's in it.

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
Mullet, are you using Brock's gym or are you in a commercial joint?

jecko

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Jecko, I'm in the Y unfortunately. I f'ing hate my gym. Nothing but Chest/Bi workers there.

I am running tonight, and will post up last night's back workout as well.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday/Day Before:

Back/Biceps

Rack Deads 1 x 315 x 8, 1 x 225 x 8 (315 went up incredibly easily. I could have put 405 on but I felt a twinge, and did not want to push to early)
Close-Reverse Grip Pull Downs 3 x 160 x 12, 3:2
DB Rows 3 x 90 x 12
Seated Hammer Curls 2 x 35 x 20, 3:2 (these burned bad!)

Notes:

I'm still struggling to find a balance between challenging myself and not hurting myself. Ex) I could have thrown up 405-475 for reps on Rack Deads, but would have absolutely ravaged my back. It's frustrating, not only seeing weights you once warmed up with but knowing strength-wise you could do much more. Alas, a decent workout nonetheless.

Cardio [next day]

4km @ 6.5 mph pace, 6km walking

(back was tightening up after previous day's workout)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It's probably smart to go easy on the deads and let your body slowly return to mulletdom. No point hurting yourself while you're trying to recover. Spend the extra time that you would have spent doing the heavier sets in a tanning salon or something.:duel:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know, I know, when it comes to the melanin capabilities of others I pale in comparison.

[intended]

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
ha hmmm, lets get this thing going, Mullet!

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Was I really away this long?

and what happened to this?

why am I so confused....... sexually

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went to visit my girl and it fell by the wayside Ubi. I still love you.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes I don't know where one of you ends and the other begins...

...it's beautiful