Derek Charlebois' Contest Prep Thread- The Return of the Beast

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Derek Charlebois' Contest Prep Thread- The Return of the Beast

Working alongside Marc while prepping for his competitions has motivated me to follow his lead and "put my money where my mouth is" and get back on stage. My goal is to come in at the top of the light-heavies. This means I need gain 10-15 lbs of lean mass this off-season, which begins tomorrow

I strongly believe in the Scivation product line and diet strategies and feel people will benefit by watching me prepare to compete over this next year. I hope that reading my journal will give people new information and strategies to apply to themselves and their progress. This section has grown into something great; a helpful, friendly support group. The amount of logs in this forum has exploded, which makes me happy. If you look at any of the logs in this section you will see nothing but positive comments and advice/suggestions to help the logger improve.

Marc and I share a common goal; qualify for national NPC competition. This is step one in our progression. Step two is to compete nationally. Step three is to earn our pro cards. As you follow along in this journal feel free to ask questions as the goal of this journal is to not only keep me motivated and organized but also to help others reach their goals. My journal back to the competitive stage starts tomorrow (9/17/2007)!

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Here are some pics from the photoshoot in Texas last weekend:

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
I will officially be starting by Lean Mass phase after the Olympia. I am not weighing anything right now, just eyeballing stuff. In 2 weeks, after the Mr. O, I will begin weighing my food again. I just need a little break from that.

Right now I am adding in some carbs pre and post workout. I am eating 75 grams pre (oatmeal + milk) and post workout.

I am sticking with my current routine:
Mon = Back
Tues = Chest
Wed = Arms
Thurs = Legs
Fri = Delts+Traps
and doing 20-30 minutes of cardio pre-workout.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
This week's workouts

Monday = Back
Deadlift
405 X 3, 3, 3

Pull-Up
BW X 12, 10, 8

Bent Over Row
225 X 3
185 X 8, 6

Lat-Pulldown
200 X 6, 6, 6

Seated Cable Row
200 X 6, 6, 6

Straight-Arm Pulldown
120 X 15, 15, 15

Tuesday = Chest
Bench Press
275 X 4, 3, 3

Incline Smith Press
225 X 6
205 X 8, 8

Decline Smith Press
225 X 12
245 X 4
225 X 12

Free-Motion Flies
30 X 20
40 X 15
50 X 10

Cable Flies
30 X 15, 15, 15

Wednesday = Arms
Barbell Curl
105 X 6, 6, 6

CG Bench
225 X 3
185 X 8, 6

DB Curl
50 X 10, 10, 10

Skull Crusher
105 X 8, 8, 8

Cable Curl
150 X 15, 15

Tricep Pressdown
150 X 15, 15

Forearm BB Curl
155 X 10, 10

Hammer Pincher
150 X 10, 10

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Thursday = Legs

Squats
315 X 6, 3, 3

Seated Calf Raise
170 X 6, 5, 4

SLD
225 X 6, 3, 3

Standing Calf Raise
300 X 8
250 X 10
200 X 15

Leg Press
540 X 15, 15, 15

Friday = Delts+Traps
Military Press
185 X 4, 3

BB Shrug
315 X 8, 6

DB Shoulder Press
75 X 10, 8

BB Behind Back Shrug
315 X 10, 6

DB Side Lateral
40 X 10, 6

DB Shrug
120 X 8, 6

Rear Cable Lateral
30 X 12, 12

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
looks good bro...i'm looking to do my first show next summer. i'm also trying to bulk very clean so i'll take some notes
i like the way u have ur split set up (i used to love doing chest the day before arms but was always told not to bc of overtraining tri's)

u compete natty correct?

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
looks good bro...i'm looking to do my first show next summer. i'm also trying to bulk very clean so i'll take some notes
i like the way u have ur split set up (i used to love doing chest the day before arms but was always told not to bc of overtraining tri's)

u compete natty correct?

Some people's arms get sore after training back or chest, but mine never do. I think with experience you look how to increase the recruitment of the targeted muscle and decrease it on the auxiliary muscles. I have noticed that my strength on Close Grip Bench is down when doing triceps the day after chest though.

I do compete naturally though I have done both tested and untested shows. The last show I did was the 2004 NPC Michigan Natural. As of now I would like to do the NPC Michigan Championships which is usually in June, but I will wait to see the new schedule to pick a competition.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established

9/24/2007- Day #1 of Lean Mass Phase

After having a nice big cheat meal on Sunday I decided to start my lean mass phase today. I will be bulking for around 5-6 months depending on what competition I decide to enter. This week will be a little off due to traveling and working at the Mr. O expo, but I will still get all my meals in and a few extra workouts with Marc. This week my training schedule will be different so I can match mine schedule to Marc's.

Training Schedule
Mon = Chest
Tues = Legs
Wed = Back
The rest of the week will be in Vegas with Marc:
Thurs = Chest
Fri = Legs
Sat = Delts+Traps
Sun = Arms
Mon = Back (Resume original schedule back at home)

My Diet
I will be eating 7 meals a day. All meals will have around 42 grams of protein from lean meats or protein powder and 15 grams of fat from peanut butter or almonds/almond butter. Carb breakdown is as follows:
Pre-Workout = 75 grams complex carbs
Post-Workout = 75 grams complex carbs
Meals 3-6 = 10 grams carbs from Veggies and 30 grams carbs from complex carbs or fruit
Meal 7 = Just protein and fat

I count my calories by servings (you can see the food list I use in the Lean Mass Diet book). So going by the servings I will be eating:
310 grams of carbs
294 grams of protein
105 grams of fat
For a total of 3361 Calories.
Since I use the serving method, my calories are actually closer to 3500, so I will simply say my total calories at 3,500.

My Supplements
Pre-Workout
Primal EAA (1 Scoop) + Xtend (3 Scoops) + 2 grams Beta-Alanine + 2 grams Creatine Monohydrate + 2 grams Taurine

During-Workout
Primal EAA (1 Scoop) + Xtend (3 Scoops) + 2 grams Beta-Alanine + 2 grams Creatine Monohydrate + 2 grams Taurine

Other supplements used throughout the day
-Elastmine
-Cissus
-Insopro-R
-Pro-Liver
-Lean Green
-Alcalean
-ZMA

***Note I will be sipping some some Xtend+Creatine+Citrulline+Beta-Alanine+Taurine during the day and with my meals. Totals come out to about: 10 grams BCAA, 5 grams Glutamine, 2 grams of creatine, citrulline malate, beta-alanine, and Taurine. I may drink 1-2 of these a day.

9/24/2007 Workout
Cardio = 20 minutes on Treadmill

Ab/Core Warm-Up = Roman Chair Crunch, Reverse Leg Raise, Leg Raise, Hyperextension, Hanging knee raise, reverse crunch, 1 set of 15 reps each

Weights = Chest
Bench Press
275 X 3, 3, 3
My goal is to get this back up to 315 for 3.

Incline Smith Press
225 X 10, 8, 6

Decline Smith Press
225 X 10, 8, 6

Free Motion Flies
50 X 15
60 X 12, 10

Free Motion Cable Crossovers
40 X 12, 12, 10
Going to decrease the weight a tad on this next week and my form wasn't as good as I would like it to be.

Great workout! While I no longer think my chest is a weak point I still want to bring it up in both its mass and overall shape. Using the smith machine for my incline and decline presses allows me to totally focus on the pecs. I feel this routine will work very well for what I am trying to accomplish.

I'm just gonna list my meals so far today and what I will be eating:
Meals 1 and 2
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Chocolate Whey
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 3
-6 oz. Steak (top round)
-8 oz. Asparagus
-4 oz. Sweet Potato with 1 TBSP Almond Butter on Top

Meal 4
-6 oz. Chicken
-1 Cup Brocolli
-4 oz. Sweet Potato with 1 TBSP Almond Butter on Top

Meal 5
-2 Scoop Protein Powder
-1/2 Cup Oatmeal
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 6
-Probably same as meal 4 or Eggs

Meal 7
-2 Scoops Ultra Peptide
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Note: Meal 5 will usually be a solid food meal. I worked out later than usual today so I had to "cram" a meal in :)

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Youve got some sick legs but no picks of them.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
9-25-2007

Core Warm-Up

Weights = LEGS

Squats
315 X 3, 3, 3

Seated Calf Raise
180 X 5, 4, 3

SLD
185 X 10, 8, 6

Standing Calf Raise
300 X 8, 8, 8

Leg Press
540 X 15
630 X 12, 10

I am finding it hard to get all 7 meals in a day, not the quantity of food, just the eating frequency. I am going to switch back to 6 meals a day like I normally do. I will be readjusting my macronutrient breakdown and then I will repost it.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
9-26-2007

Man oh man I did not want to get out of bed today lol. But I got up and ate my oatmeal breakfast and then headed to the gym.

Core Warm-Up

Weights = BACK
This workout is usually on Monday but I am rearranging my schedule this week to workout with Marc. I was leery about doing deadlifts the day after squats but I did not have any lower back issues :)

Deadlift
405 X 3, 3, 3
Time to start adding weight to the bar on this!

Pull-ups/Bent Over Row (Reverse Grip)
Bw X 10/185 X 10
BW X 8/185 X 8
BW X 6/185 X 6

Lat Pulldown/Seated Cable Row
200 X 6/200 X 6
175 X 8/175 X 8
175 X 8/175 X 8

Straight-Arm Pulldown
120 X 12
130 X 12, 12

Another good workout in the books! I fly out to Vegas early tomorrow morning and then Marc and I will be hitting Chest. Friday we have legs. Saturday Delts+Traps and Arms on Sunday.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Do you use beta alanine bulk powder? How do you like taking it pre and during workout as opposed to equally spreading it throughout the day? Have you ever tried the time release beta alanine?

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Lookin real solid Beast!! Lookin forward to following the log. Where you at in Michigan??

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Do you use beta alanine bulk powder? How do you like taking it pre and during workout as opposed to equally spreading it throughout the day? Have you ever tried the time release beta alanine?
I have been taking VasoCharge pre-workout and then some Primaforce bulk Beta-Alanine later in the day.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Sorry for the lack of updates. Here is my introduction to my Lean Mass Phase (I had to take out all the pics for the file to be small enough, but the full version will be on BB.com very soon). I will post this past week's workouts and meals on Sunday.

Attachments

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Do you know how far you are from Jackson, MI? It's a smaller city...

Sporto

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
I believe about 2 hours. PM me what's up.
That's where my girlfriend is from. When I come up to visit her family, I'll get a hold of you (and let you know ahead of time)...we could hook up for a workout.

Sporto

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
The Return of The Beast—Week 6 11/5/2007-11/11/2007
By: Derek Charlebois

As I mentioned last week I will be adding some calories to my diet and switching up my workout program. Let’s go over the changes.

Diet for Week 6

I am keeping my diet very simple. I will be eating a LARGE amount of carbs post-workout. My wife and I will be going to the gym together at 5 AM, which makes it hard to get a meal in. I will be sipping on my Xtend throughout my workout and then grubbing on some carb post workout. Because I am not on a low-carb diet, my glycogen levels will not be low in the morning and my performance should not be negatively affected by not eating prior to the gym.

Notes:
-Each meal contains 7 oz. of lean meat or 2 scoops protein powder
-Each meal contains 20 grams of fat (i.e. 8 Tsp Peanut Butter)
-All carbs are low-glycemic
-I try to get 3 cups of vegetables a day
-I am going to try to get more fruit each day

All of the meals I list during each day match the above macronutrient breakdown for each meal.

Training for Week 6
I will be focusing on some HEAVY sets, specifically 3-rep sets. I love the way blasting out heavy triples feels and my strength climbs when I do them. I will be starting off each workout with a heavy compound exercise and then do some higher rep sets at the end.

I also arranged my workout in terms on the amount of stress placed on my lower back. I will be doing squats on Monday and then deadlifts on Friday followed by two days completely off. I think this new routine will lead to some nice gains in both strength and size.

Supplements for Week 6

Pre-workout and during my cardio I sip on:
-2 Scoops Scivation VasoCharge
-2 Scoops Scivation Xtend
Xtend+VasoCharge is the perfect workout nutrition stack. It has everything you need!

During weight training I sip on
-8 Scoops Scivation Xtend
I always sip on Xtend during my workout. In fact I haven’t trained without it since 2004!

-Fish Oil (3 grams/day)
-Primaforce Max CLA (3 grams/day)
-GLA (3 grams per/day)
I take these supplements for their nutrient partitioning effects and overall health benefits. All three have been shown to decrease fat gain during a calorie surplus and promote lean mass gains.

-Primaforce Elastamine
-Primaforce Cissus
This is the best joint stack you can buy! Cissus has been a big contributor to the recovery of my lower back.

-Primforce Insopro-R, Pro-liver, Lean Green, and Alcalean
I take these supplements for their nutrient partitioning effects and overall health benefits.

During the day I sip on Xtend. I mix 4 scoops of Xtend in 24 oz. of water and drink 3 of these a day for 12 scoops of Xtend. Xtend mega-dosing baby! One of the perks to working for Scivation!

Cardio
I do 30 minutes of cardio (walking on the treadmill) prior to every workout. I do this (1) for my overall health (2) to warm my body up (3) to keep fat gain down. After cardio I do an ab/core warm-up/strengthen circuit consisting of roman chair crunches, reverse leg raises, hanging leg raises, back extensions, and torso twists. Just 1 set of 15 reps to get my core, specifically my lower back, ready for weight training.

Monday 11/5/2007- Legs

What better way to start off a week than with squats… I can actually think of many better ways lol. I was planning on going for 405 lbs today, but since I changed my schedule up I will be going for 5 sets of 3 reps with 365 lbs.

Squats
365 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Pics from Florida 2006

Seated Calf Raises
180 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Pic from Florida 2007

Leg Extension
150 X 8, 8, 8

Leg Curl
150 X 8, 8, 8

Standing Calf Raises (Reps done SLOW!)
200 X 12, 12, 12

I am not going to be doing stiff leg deadlifts with this workout to limit the stress placed on my lower back. Plus the hamstrings get hit hard by both squats and deadlifts, so they will be heavily stimulated still.

Today’s Meals

Meal 1
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 2
-3 oz. Whole Wheat Noodles
-6 oz. 94% Lean Ground Beef
-1/2 Cup Organic Tomato Sauce
-18 Almonds

Meal 3
-6 oz. Lean Meat
-3 oz. Whole Wheat Elbow Noodles
-2 Slices Fat Free Cheese
-18 Almonds

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Tuesday 11/6/2007

I am going to shoot for 325 X 3 on bench press today. I haven’t benched over 315 in a long time, so this will be fun.

Bench Press
325 X 3, 3, 3, 2, 1

Pics from Texas 2007

Incline Hammer Press
270 X 12, 10, 8

Cable Flies
60 X 20, 15, 12

After 3 sets of 325 X 3 on bench press my wrists/forearms felt very fatigued. I am going to do some ART massage to them this week and try to loosen them up. Because I did not complete all 5 sets with 325 for 3 reps I am going to stay at 325 next week… or I might go up depending on how I feel that day hehe.

Today’s Meals

Meal 1
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 2
-7 oz. 94% Lean Ground Beef
-1/2 Cup Healthy Choice Cream of Mushroom Soup
-12 Almonds

Meal 3
-7 oz Roasted Turket
-2 Slices Ezekiel Bread
-2 TBSP Fat Free Miracle Whip
-1 Banana
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 4
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-6 oz. Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 5
-4 Whole Eggs
-3 oz. Chicken
-1 Cup Brocolli
-4 Slices Ezekiel Bread

Meal 6
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-6 oz. Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Thursday 11/8/2007

Time for some heavy military presses and shrugs! I am going to shoot for 225 for 5 sets of 3 on military press and 405 for 5 sets of 3 on shrugs.

Military Press
225 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Pics from Texas 2007

BB Shrug
405 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

DB Side Lateral
40 X 12, 10, 8

Pic from Chicago 2006

DB Shrug
120 X 12, 10, 8

Today’s workout was very tough. I wasn’t sure if I would complete all 5 sets of 225 for 3 reps on military press but I pushed all the reps out! My forearms, specifically my left forearm, were bothering me again today. I was fine during military press and shrugs, but do side laterals really aggravated my left forearm. I am going to continue to do some ART massage to hit and try to work out any trigger points in there.

Today’s Meals

Meal 1
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 2
-1/2 Cup Organic Tomato Sauce
-12 Almonds

Meal 3
-4 Whole Eggs
-3/4 Cup Egg Whites
-1 Cup Mushrooms
-4 Slices Ezekiel Bread

Meal 4
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-6 oz. Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 5
-4 Whole Eggs
-3/4 Cup Egg Whites
-1 Cup Mushrooms
-4 Slices Ezekiel Bread

Meal 6
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-6 oz. Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Friday 11/9/2007

Today will be my first day of 5 sets of 3 with deadlifts. This should be fun… or painful.

Deadlift
405 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Pics from Chicago 2006

Barbell Curl
145 X 3, 3, 3
95 X 10, 10

Pics from Chicago 2006

Close Grip Bench
285 X 3, 3, 3
225 X 10, 10

Wow! After deadlifts I could have left and felt like I had a very productive workout but I still had to do some arms. I had planned on doing all 5 sets of 3 reps on barbell curl and close grip bench, but my joints were not feeling 100% so I trained instinctively and did the last 2 sets a little lighter.

Today’s Meals

Meal 1
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 2
-Foot Long Subway Club Sandwich w/ oil & vinegar blend.

Meal 3
-3 Whole Eggs
-3/4 Cup Egg Whites
-1 Cup Mushrooms
-2 Slices Ezekiel Bread

Meal 4
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-6 oz. Skim Milk
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 5
-3 Whole Eggs
-4 oz. Chicken
-1 Cup Brocolli
-2 Slices Ezekiel Bread

Meal 6
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-6 oz. Skim Milk
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Weekend Review

This week was 100% hard and heavy! My joints are a bit achy from all the heavy lifting. I am thinking about upping my Elastamine and Cissus to see if that helps. I weighed in at 213 on Saturday, so I am up 2 pounds this week, which is perfect.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
The Return of The Beast—Week 7 11/12/2007-11/18/2007

Last week I had planned on starting to wake up early in the morning (5 AM) and going to the gym, but I have been sleeping in, eating, and then going to the gym. So I am going to posted my revised diet. I am up 2 lbs from last week so I will not be increasing calories.

Diet for Week 7

Notes:
-Each meal contains 7 oz. of lean meat or 2 scoops protein powder
-Each meal contains 20 grams of fat (i.e. 8 Tsp Peanut Butter)
-I am going to try to get more fruit each day

All of the meals I list during each day match the above macronutrient breakdown for each meal.

Training for Week 7
I will be focusing on some HEAVY sets, specifically 3-rep sets. I love the way blasting out heavy triples feels and my strength climbs when I do them. I will be starting off each workout with a heavy compound exercise and then do some higher rep sets at the end.

I also arranged my workout in terms on the amount of stress placed on my lower back. I will be doing squats on Monday and then deadlifts on Friday followed by two days completely off. I think this new routine will lead to some nice gains in both strength and size.

Supplements for Week 7

Pre-workout and during my cardio I sip on:
-2 Scoops Scivation Xtend
Xtend+VasoCharge is the perfect workout nutrition stack. It has everything you need!

I always sip on Xtend during my workout. In fact I haven’t trained without it since 2004!

-Fish Oil (3 grams/day)
-GLA (3 grams per/day)
I take these supplements for their nutrient partitioning effects and overall health benefits. All three have been shown to decrease fat gain during a calorie surplus and promote lean mass gains.

-Primaforce Elastamine
-Primaforce Cissus
This is the best joint stack you can buy! Cissus has been a big contributor to the recovery of my lower back.

I take these supplements for their nutrient partitioning effects and overall health benefits.

During the day I sip on Xtend. I mix 4 scoops of Xtend in 24 oz. of water and drink 3 of these a day for 12 scoops of Xtend. Xtend mega-dosing baby! One of the perks to working for Scivation!

Cardio
I do 30 minutes of cardio (walking on the treadmill) prior to every workout. I do this (1) for my overall health (2) to warm my body up (3) to keep fat gain down. After cardio I do an ab/core warm-up/strengthen circuit consisting of roman chair crunches, reverse leg raises, hanging leg raises, back extensions, and torso twists. Just 1 set of 15 reps to get my core, specifically my lower back, ready for weight training.

Monday 11/12/2007- Legs

Squats
375 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Pics from Florida 2006

Seated Calf Raises
190 X 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Pic from Florida 2007

Leg Extension
150 X 10, 10, 10

Leg Curl
150 X 10, 10, 10

Standing Calf Raises (Reps done SLOW!)
200 X 12, 12, 12

Note: I am not going to be doing stiff leg deadlifts with this workout to limit the stress placed on my lower back. Plus the hamstrings get hit hard by both squats and deadlifts, so they will be heavily stimulated still.

Today’s Meals

Meal 1
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 2
-1 Cup Organic Tomato Sauce
-18 Almonds

Meal 3
-7 oz Chicken
-8 oz. Sweet Potato
-1 TBSP Almond Butter

Meal 4
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-6 oz Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 5
-7 oz Chicken
-8 oz. Sweet Potato
-1 TBSP Almond Butter

Meal 6
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-6 oz Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
bro sorry to hi-jack...but i remember u put out an article about training bodyparts twice a week. i'm looking to hit chest and biceps twice a week with decent volume 8-12 reps.
i'm already doing bi's twice a week (after back on tues and with tri's on fri) basically i'm puzzled as to where to put chest
my delts and tri's totally dominate my chest. i've been pre-exhausting with flyes before my presses which has been helping but i wanna try to hit it twice a week cuz my chest sucks.

here is my split, any input would be awesome thanks

monday-chest
tuesday-back+bi's(low volume)
wednesday-off
thursday-delts
friday- arms
saturday- legs
sunday-off

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
bro sorry to hi-jack...but i remember u put out an article about training bodyparts twice a week. i'm looking to hit chest and biceps twice a week with decent volume 8-12 reps.
i'm already doing bi's twice a week (after back on tues and with tri's on fri) basically i'm puzzled as to where to put chest
my delts and tri's totally dominate my chest. i've been pre-exhausting with flyes before my presses which has been helping but i wanna try to hit it twice a week cuz my chest sucks.

here is my split, any input would be awesome thanks

monday-chest
tuesday-back+bi's(low volume)
wednesday-off
thursday-delts
friday- arms
saturday- legs
sunday-off
I would do:
Mon- Chest + Bis
Tues- Back + Traps
Wed- Off
Thurs- Chest + Bis
Fri- Delts + Tris
Sat- Legs

I wouldn't pre-exhaust your chest with flies, but instead focus on lifting HEAVY.

For your Monday workout I would do:
Bench Press 10 X 3 reps (using your 5-6 RM)
Cable Crossovers or Flies 3 X 12-15
Barbell Curl 5 X 3 (using your 5-6 RM)
Cable Curl 2-3 X 12-15

Thursday
Incline Barbell Press 3 X 8-12
Flat DB Press 3 X 8-12
Dips 3 X 8-12
DB Curl 3 X 8-12
Reverse Curl or Hammer Curl 3 X 8-12

How does that look?

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Tuesday 11/13/2007

I am going to shoot for 335 X 3 on bench press today. I know I won’t be able to complete all 5 sets for 3 reps, but adding weight to the bar is addictive!

Bench Press
335 X 3, 2, 1
275 X 6
225 X 10

Pics from Chicago 2006

Incline Smith Press
185 X 12, 12, 12

Cable Flies
60 X 20, 15, 12

Man oh man, bench was killer today! I completed the first set of 335 for 3 reps and thought I would be able to get 3 reps for at least 2 more sets, but I guess it took more out of me than I thought. After bench I did some incline smith press and cable flies then I was OUT.

Today’s Meals

Meal 1
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 2
-1/2 Cup Healthy Choice Cream of Mushroom Soup
-12 Almonds

Meal 3
-7 oz Chicken
-8 oz. Sweet Potato
-1 TBSP Almond Butter

Meal 4
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-6 oz Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 5
-7 oz Chicken
-8 oz. Sweet Potato
-1 TBSP Almond Butter

Meal 6
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-6 oz Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 11/14/2007

Time to add some back mass baby!

Pull-Up
60 X 3, 3, 3
BW X 10, 6

Pics from Texas 2007

Bent Over Row
265 X 3, 3, 3
225 X 6, 6

Seated Cable Row
120 X 12, 12, 12

Pics from Texas 2007

Lat Pulldown
120 X 12, 12, 12

I’m starting to feel burned out from the 3 rep training. I am thinking that doing 4 weeks of 5 X 3 then 2 weeks of higher rep training (6-12) would be ideal.

Today’s Meals

Meal 1
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 2
-4 oz. Whole Wheat Elbow Noodles
-6 oz. 94% Lean Ground Beef
-2 Slices Fat Free Cheese
(All mixed together like as a cheesy, beefy macaroni)
-12 Almonds
Post-workout grubin’ baby!

Meal 3
-4 Whole Eggs
-3/4 Cup Egg Whites
-4 Slices Ezekiel Bread

Meal 4
-7 oz Chicken
-8 oz. Sweet Potato
-1 TBSP Almond Butter

Meal 5
-4 Whole Eggs
-3/4 Cup Egg Whites
-4 Slices Ezekiel Bread

Meal 6
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-6 oz. Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

mfbb

mfbb

Awards
  • Established
I would do:
Mon- Chest + Bis
Tues- Back + Traps
Wed- Off
Thurs- Chest + Bis
Fri- Delts + Tris
Sat- Legs

I wouldn't pre-exhaust your chest with flies, but instead focus on lifting HEAVY.

For your Monday workout I would do:
Bench Press 10 X 3 reps (using your 5-6 RM)
Cable Crossovers or Flies 3 X 12-15
Barbell Curl 5 X 3 (using your 5-6 RM)
Cable Curl 2-3 X 12-15

Thursday
Incline Barbell Press 3 X 8-12
Flat DB Press 3 X 8-12
Dips 3 X 8-12
DB Curl 3 X 8-12
Reverse Curl or Hammer Curl 3 X 8-12

How does that look?

that looks cool, but can i change the 3 rep sets to 5-6 reps. i get weary of injuries using under 4 reps.

i'm going to be taking a week off soon and i'm gunna switch to that split. thanx a lot bro

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
that looks cool, but can i change the 3 rep sets to 5-6 reps. i get weary of injuries using under 4 reps.

i'm going to be taking a week off soon and i'm gunna switch to that split. thanx a lot bro
Most definitely. 5-6 reps will work well.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Form is impeccable! lookin solid and strong.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
The Return of The Beast—Week 8 11/26/2007-12/2/2007

I did a deload week last week. A deload week could also be called a “light” week where you do not lift as intensely as your normal workouts. I stuck to my same routine exercise wise but did 2 sets of 10 reps, stopping each set shy of failure. The deload week served me well as I feel ready to attack some heavy weights again! I weighed in at 218 on Sunday. My goal was to get to 220 lbs, so I am almost there, just a couple more pounds to go. I will be lifting at 5 AM again and this time I am going to try to stick with it!

Diet for Week 8

Notes:
-Each meal contains 7 oz. of lean meat or 2 scoops protein powder or 4 oz. meat and 1 scoop protein powder
-Each meal contains 15 grams of fat (i.e. 2 TBSP Peanut Butter)
-I am going to try to get more fruit each day (been failing at that lol).

Training for Week 8
I am going to be doing a 4-day split this week and will probably stick with a 4-day split for a little while. Lifting heavy 5 days a week takes a toll on my body, especially my joints. An extra rest day should do me some good.

Cardio & Stretching
This week I will be doing 20 minutes of cardio (walking on the treadmill or elliptical) prior to every workout and then 10 minutes of stretching. I do this (1) for my overall health (2) to warm my body up (3) to keep fat gain down. I will also be stretching post workout and 1-2X during the day. My lower back is starting to tighten up again, so I really have to put some extra effort in and focus on stretching to alleviate the pain caused by tight posterior muscles.

Supplements for Week 7

Pre-Workout
-1 Scoop Primal EAA

-Fish Oil (3 grams/day)
-GLA (3 grams per/day)

-Primaforce Elastamine
-Primaforce Cissus

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Monday 11/27/2007- Back&Traps

Starting off this week with Back and Traps. My lower back is feeling pretty tight, so we will see what happens.

Pic from July 2003

Deadlift
405 X 3, 3, 3
My lower back was holding me back today. I am very going to put forth some effort to stretch and hopefully decrease my lower back tightness.

Pull-Ups
BW X 10, 8, 6

Bent Over Rows
185 X 10, 10, 10
I went lighter on rows today since my back wasn’t feeling too great. I actually really liked the way this felt as I usually go heavy on rows.

Barbell Shrug
315 X 6, 6 (Front)
315 X 6, 6 (Behind Back)

DB Shrug
100 X 12, 12

Besides my lower back pain this was a good workout. I REALLY want to start adding weight to my deadlift so my priority right now is to get my lower back to 100%.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Tuesday 11/28/2007

Bench Press
315 X 4, 3, 3

Pics from Chicago 2006

Incline DB Press
100 x 6
90 X 10, 8

DB Flies super-setted with Cable Flies
30 X 10/50 X 10
30 X 10/50 X 10

I felt pretty strong on bench press today. I decided to try out super-setting DB flies with cable flies today and I loved it!

***NOTE- Both yesterday and today I did not eat any carbs in my last meal of the day. I am going to do this all week and see what happens. I just haven’t been hungry at night because I eat a lot during the day.

Today’s Meals

Meal 1
-1 Cup Oatmeal
-1 Cup Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 2
-12 Almonds

Meal 3
-7 oz Chicken
-8 oz. Sweet Potato
-1 TBSP Almond Butter

Meal 4
-4 Whole Egss
-3 oz. Chicken
-4 Slices Ezekiel Bread

Meal 6
-3/4 Cup Oatmeal
-4 oz Skim Milk
-2 Scoops Protein Powder
-2 TBSP Peanut Butter

Meal 6
-7 oz Top Round Steak
-12 Almonds

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Monday 12/10/2007

Push Day
Bench Press
315 X 6, 3, 3

Military Press
185 X 6, 5, 4

Close Grip Bench
225 X 6, 5, 4

DB Flies supersetted with Cable Flies
30 X 15/60 X 15
30 X 10/60 X 10

1-Arm Cable Laterals
40 X 12, 12

Tricep Pressdowns
150 X 15, 15

This workout felt great and I was DEAD at the end of it. I like focusing on one muscle group per day but I also like this current setup. Both setups work well and I think both should be used.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
The Return of The Beast—Week 11 12/17/2007-12/24/2007

The Beast is back in action! My lower back is better than it was and I am hoping it will continue to get better. I worked out with my old workout partner Peter again on Saturday and hit Back+Biceps. We did:
-Hammer Strength Row
-Hammer Strength Pulldown
-Chest-Supported T-Bar Row
-Hammer Strength Preacher Curl
-Cable Rope Hammer Curls
-Spider Curls
This was a great workout. I went pretty heavy on the hammer strength equipment (I think they were PRs in these movements) and after spider curls my arms were almost too pumped to function lol.

I weighed in Sunday morning at 213 lbs. I cut the carbs out of my meal 6 for the past 2 weeks and have lost a little fat 

Saturday night/Sunday morning we got blasted with snow. After shoveling snow for 3 hours on Sunday (we got about 12 inches…) my lower back is a bit tight/tender. My shoulders also feel a bit fatigued, so I am expecting Monday’s Chest+Shoulder workout to suffer some.

Diet for Week 11

Notes:
-Each meal contains 7 oz. of lean meat or 2 scoops protein powder or 4 oz. meat and 1 scoop protein powder
-Each meal contains 15 grams of fat (i.e. 2 TBSP Peanut Butter or 18 Almonds)

Training for Week 11
I am going to be doing a 4-day split similar to Phase I of the Tri-Phase program:
Mon: Back+Traps
Tues: Chest+Shoulders
Thurs: Legs
Fri: Arms
After trying a couple split setups over the past two weeks, I am going back to my tested and effective setup.

Cardio & Stretching
I am not doing cardio pre or post weight training right now. As soon as I get to the gym I hit the weights. I will be doing cardio on my off days though.

Supplements for Week 11

Pre-Workout
-1 Scoop Primal EAA

-Fish Oil (3 grams/day)
-GLA (3 grams per/day)

-Primaforce Elastamine
-Primaforce Cissus

Monday 12/17/2007- Chest+Shoulders

I choose to do my chest+shoulder workout in place of my back+trap workout for two reasons: 1) I worked back on Saturday so I am giving it more recovery time and 2) my lower back is tight from shoveling snow and I feel I will have a better back workout tomorrow because my lower back should be a little better then.

Bench Press
315 X 3, 2, 1
Shoveling snow for 3 hours definitely took a toll on my strength… I benched 315 for 6, 5, 4 last week.

Incline DB Press
100 X 10, 6, 6
Surprisingly I felt really strong on Incline DB press today.

DB Flies super-setted with Cable Flies
30 X 15/50 X 15
30 X 15/50 X 15
30 X 15/50 X 15

DB Side Lateral
30 X 10
35 X 10
40 X 6

This was a decent workout. My goal is to hit 6 reps again on bench press with 315 lbs next week.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
12/18/2007

Back+Traps Workout
Deadlift
405 X 5
455 X 3
475 X 1
I believe this is the heaviest I have gone on deadlifts in the past 2 years! I am 125 away from my old PR and you best believe I will hit that soon! I will go for 495 for 1 next week.

Pull-Ups
BW X 10, 8, 6
I was having trouble doing pull-ups last week due to my left forearm, but it didn't seem to bother me as much today.

Bent Over Rows
225 X 6, 6, 6

Straight-Arm Pulldown
100 X 12
110 X 12
120 X 12

BB Shrug
315 X 6, 6

DB Shrug
100 X 12, 12

It is really motivating to be able to lift heavy again. If things keep progressing they way they are I will be happy :)

Post Workout Pics:

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
Monday 12/31/2007

Chest+Delts Workout

Bench Press
315 X 3, 3, 3

Incline DB Press
105 X 8, 6, 4

Decline DB Flies
40 X 10, 10, 10

Cable Crossover
50 X 20, 20

DB Side Lateral
40 X 10, 8, 6

Cable Side Lateral
30 X 12, 12

Post-Workout Cardio = 30 minutes on Elliptical

Diet
Diet was spot on today expect for some New Year’s NACHOS!

Tuesday 1/1/2008

I had my last “hooray” meal today, breakfast at Bob’s Evans: Steak & Egg Breakfast with potatoes, banana bread, and biscuits and gravy! SO GOOD!!!

Gym is closed today, so no training.

Wednesday 1/2/2008

My diet will be spot on from here on out. I will only be cutting for 4 or 5 weeks, so there is no time to get sloppy. I weighed in this morning at 212 (holding some water).

Workout = Back+Traps

Deadlift
495 X 3, 2, 1

Pull-Up
BW X 10, 8, 6

Bent Over Row
225 X 10, 10, 10

Straight Arm Pulldown
120 X 10, 10, 10

Barbell Shrug
315 X 10, 10, 10

DB Shrug
100 X 10, 10, 10

Post Workout Cardio = 30 minutes on Elliptical

Thursday 1/3/2008

Workout = Arms

Barbell Curl
95 X 10, 10, 10

Close Grip Bench
235 X 10, 8, 6

DB Preacher Curl
35 X 6, 6, 6

Skull Crusher
95 X 10, 8, 8

Various Cable Curls and Pressdowns

BB Forearm Curl
155 X 8, 8

Hammer Gripper
150 X 8, 8

Friday 1/4/2008

Workout = Legs

Squats
315 X 8, 8, 8
I think I am going to shoot for 3 sets of 10 before upping the weight.

Seated Calf Raise
195 X 8, 8, 8

Stiff Leg Deadlift
195 X 8, 8, 8

Leg Press
630 X 8, 8, 8

Donkey Calf Raise
255 X 8, 8, 8

Leg Extension
50 X 30

Seated Leg Curl
50 X 50

Cybex Calf Press
200 X 50 (MAN THAT BURNS!!!)

Post Workout Cardio = 30 minutes on Treadmill

Things are moving in the right direction.

This weekend Scivation will be hosting its for ever seminar at Cape Cod Nutrition Center in Cape Cod, MA! If you are in the Cape Cod area be sure to RSVP and come get some free Xtend slushies.

Because I will be out of town I will not be able to weigh in until next Tuesday.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established
[size=+3]The Return of THE BEAST- Derek Charlebois’ 2008 Journal[/size]

[size=+2]The Return of The Beast—Week 2 (1/9/2008-1/13/2008)[/size]

I weighed in on Monday at 209 lbs. So that is down 3 lbs since last week. My diet was 100% spot on while in Cape Cod. Some struggle with their diet while traveling but even if you are eating every meal at a restaurant you can eat clean. I kept my carbs to meal one and then ate meat+veggies+fat (usually a steak and a salad) for the rest of my meals.

Week 2 Diet (Cut)

Week 2 Workout

Week 2 Supplements
Pre-Workout = 1 Scoop Primal EAA + 2 Scoops VasoCharge
During Workout = 6 Scoops of Xtend
-Elastamine
-Cissus
- Fish Oil, CLA, GLA
-Pro-Liver
-Lean Green
-Insopro-R (with meal 1 only)

Xtend Mega-dosing = 12 scoops sipped during the day

Monday 1/9/2008
Marc and I trained chest+delts on Sunday, so I took today off. Here is the workout we did.

Chest+Delts Workout

Bench Press
315 X 3, 3, 3

Incline DB Press
100 X 10
120 X 6
100 X 6

Decline DB Flies
40 X 10, 10, 10

Dips
3 sets of 15

Cable Crossovers
3 sets of 15

Hammer Shoulder Press
3 sets of 15

Lateral Raise
3 sets of 15 with 25lbs

Post-Workout Cardio = NONE! We were tired and hungry so we went at grubbed!

Tuesday 1/10/2008

Workout = Back+Traps

Deadlift
405 X 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Pull-Up
BW X 10, 8, 6

Bent Over Row
225 X 10, 10, 10

Straight Arm Pulldown
120 X 10, 10, 10

Barbell Shrug
315 X 10, 10, 10

DB Shrug
100 X 10, 10, 10

My lower back was still a little sore today from the plane ride home from Cape Cod. All is well though and I had a good workout.

Wednesday 1/11/2008

OFF DAY

Thursday 1/12/2008

Workout = Arms

Barbell Curl
95 X 10 (Wide Grip), 10 (Close Grip), 10 (Reverse Grip)

Close Grip Bench
235 X 10, 10, 10

DB Preacher Curl
35 X 10, 8, 6

Skull Crusher
95 X 10 (Close Grip), 10 (Wide Grip), 10 (Close Grip)

BB Forearm Curl
155 X 10, 10

Hammer Gripper
150 X 10, 10

Friday 1/13/2008

Workout = Legs

Squats
315 X 10, 10, 6

Seated Calf Raise
185 X 10, 10, 10

Stiff Leg Deadlift
185 X 10, 10, 10

Leg Press
630 X 10, 10, 10

Donkey Calf Raise
255 X 8, 8, 8

This weekend I will be heading to Boise, Idaho to film Phase 3 of the Tri-Phase program. Saturday and Sunday are going to be rest days, which will be much needed considering I will be doing 4 workouts in 2 days for the video, full body workouts at that! Should be fun though. See you next week!

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established

[size=+2]The Return of The Beast—Week 3 (1/14/2008-1/20/2008)[/size]

I’m in Boise this week filming Phase 3 of the Tri-Phase program. We will be doing 4 workouts in 2 days, which will be tough, but we will get it done!

Week 3 Diet (Cut)

I will be adhering to this diet as close as possible when out of town but obviously it won’t be exact.

Week 3 Workout

This week my workouts will be a little different due to being out of town:
Monday = Workouts 1 & 2 of Tri-Phase.
Tuesday = Workouts 3 & 4 of Tri-Phase.
Wednesday = Chest + Calves
Thursday = Back
Friday = Arms
Saturday = Legs
Sunday = OFF!!!

Week 3 Supplements
-Elastamine
-Cissus
- Fish Oil, CLA, GLA
-Pro-Liver
-Lean Green

Monday 1/14/2008
Today we will be doing Workouts 1 & 2 of Phase 3 of the Tri-Phase program:
Workout 1 = 2 sets of 4-6 reps for all exercises
Muscle Workout A (Mon)
Quad Squats
Ham Stiff Leg Deadlift
Calf Seated Calf Raise
Chest Flat Press
Back Bent Over Row
Delt Military Press
Trap Barbell Shrug
Tris Close Grip Bench
Bis Barbell Curl

Workout 1 = 2 sets of 6-10 reps for all exercises
Muscle Workout B (Wed)
Quad Leg Press
Ham Lying Leg Curl
Calf Standing Calf Raise
Chest Incline Press
Back Pull-up
Delt DB Side Lateral
Trap DB Shrug
Tris Skull Crusher
Bis DB Curl

Tuesday 1/15/2008
Today we will being doing Workouts 3 & 4 (weak point training) of Phase 3 of the Tri-Phase program:
Workout 3 = 2 sets of 10-15 reps for all exercises
Muscle Workout C (Fri)
Quad Leg Extension
Ham Seated Leg Curl
Calf Donkey Calf Raise
Chest Decline Press or Dips
Back Lat Pulldown
Delt Cable Lateral
Trap Low-Pulley High Row
Tris Tricep Pressdown
Bis Cable Curl

Workout 4 = Weak point training for biceps, forearms, and rear delts.
We did 3 sets for each of the following exercises.
Machine Preacher Curl
Rope Hammer Curl
Barbell Forearm Curl
DB Forearm Curl
Reverse Pec Dec for Rear Delts

Wednesday 1/16/2008
Workout = Chest+Calves

Despite beating ourselves up for the last two days, Marc and I hit chest and calves today. We did:
Incline Smith Press
Leverage Chest Press
Decline Hammer Strength Press
Cable Flies super-setted with Cable Presses
Donkey Calf Raises
Cybex Calf Extensions

Thursday 1/17/2008
I’m back at home today.

Workout = Back

Pull-ups BW X 10
Chin-ups BW X 10
Parallel Bar Pull-ups BW X 10

Reverse Grip Bent Over Row 185 X 8, 8, 8
I just haven’t been feeling overhead bent over rows lately. I’m going to switch to using a reverse grip for a while.

Lat-Pulldown super-setted with Seated Cable Row
150 X 10/150 X 10 (Wide Grip)
150 X 10/150 X 10 (Reverse Grip)
150 X 10/150 X 10 (Close Grip)
60 X 10/60 X 10 (1-Arm)

Straight-Arm Pulldown
120 X 10, 10, 10

Post-Workout Cardio = 30 minutes on Elliptical

Friday 1/18/2008

Workout = Arms

Barbell Curl
95 X 10
105 X 10
115 X 6

Close Grip Bench
225 X 10
235 X 10
245 X 6

DB Preacher Curl
35 X 10, 10, 8

Skull Crusher
95 X 10 (Close Grip), 10 (Wide Grip), 10 (Close Grip)

BB Forearm Curl
155 X 10, 10

Hammer Gripper
150 X 10, 10

Saturday 1/19/2008

Workout = Legs

Squats
315 X 6
335 X 6, 6

Stiff Leg Deadlift
185 X 10, 10, 10

Leg Press
630 X 10, 10, 10

Bunch of Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, and some sets of the Ab/Adductor machines.

This week was very demanding. Marc and I killed it in the gym Mon-Wed, then I came home and did my thing at my gym. After this week I decided I am going to start adding some lean mass again. I am as lean as I need to be right now and my main goal is to add muscle. This short little cut let me lose a little fat but it also gave me my appetite back. Eating 4000 clean calories a day for 16 weeks can get hard. Eating 4000 calories from junk food is easy, but eating 4000 calories from chicken, steak, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, etc. is a challenge. I will go into details about my plan next week. See you then.

Beast

Beast

"He's not human!"
Awards
  • Established

[size=+2]The Return of The Beast—Week 4 (1/21/2008-1/27/2008)[/size]

I am back to bulking this week, though right now I am only having carbs post workout. My goal is to get 7 meals of 50 grams of protein and 20 grams of good fats (plus carbs with my post workout meal).

Week 4 Diet (Bulk)

Week 4 Workout

Week 4 Supplements
-Elastamine
-Cissus
- Fish Oil, CLA, GLA
-Pro-Liver
-Lean Green

Monday 1/21/2008
I am starting my new workout routine today. The muscle groupings are a little different than before. I feel this setup will allow me to hit each muscle group better, leading to increased gains in size.

Workout = Chest + Calves

Bench Press
315 X 3, 3, 3

Incline BB Press (with 3 second pause at the bottom)
185 X 10, 9, 8

Incline Hammer Press
180 X 10, 10, 10

Cable Flies
50 X 15, 15, 15

Cable Crossovers
50 X 15, 15, 15

Seated Calf Raise
165 X 8, 8, 8

Donkey Calf Raise
250 X 15, 15, 15

Workout Comments
Today’s workout was very productive. Did some incline barbell presses today in place of my normal incline DB press and I think I am going to go back to incline DB presses. I feel that incline DB press offers a different stimulus than barbell presses and like the way it feels more than incline barbell press right now. Just to note, I alternate between sets of cable flies and crossovers with my calf exercises. So I will do a set of cable flies then a set of seated calf raises. This strategy is a great time saver. I’ve been stuck at 315 X 3 on bench press for a couple weeks now. This is always where I reach a sticking point. I usually get up to about 335 for 3 reps then settle back down at 315 for 3 and get stuck there. I am going to try to beat this next week and if I don’t I am going to change up my rep scheme on bench press.

Tuesday 1/22/2008

Workout = Deadlift + Delts + Traps

Dealift
405 X 3
455 X 3
405 X 3
315 X 10, 10, 10

DB Side Lateral
40 X 6
30 X 10, 10

Smith Shrug
315 X 10, 10, 10

Cable Lateral
30 X 12, 12, 10

Low-Middle Trap Smith Shrug
225 X 10, 10, 10
I do these a bit differently than the standard shrug. Instead of shrugging my shoulders up I lift my scapulas and retract my shoulder blades together. I feel this hits more of the lower and middle traps.

Rear Delt Lateral
30 X 10, 10, 10

Workout Comments
I really like this new workout setup. In the past I have always done deadlifts at the beginning of back day, so deadlifts were always followed by some heavy back movements (i.e. bent over rows). Doing deadlifts followed by delts and traps a less demanding and will allow me to hit my back hard on its own day.

Wednesday 1/23/2008

Off Day

Thursday 1/24/2008

Workout = Back

Reverse Grip Bent Over Row
185 X 10
205 X 10
225 X 6

Pull-Ups
BW X 10, 8, 6

Hammer Strength Row alternated with Hammer Strength Pulldown
270 X 10/270 X 10
320 X 6/320 X 6
320 X 6/320 X 6

Seated Cable Row alternated with Lat Pulldown
180 X 10/180 X 10
200 X 10/200 X 10
70 X 10/70 X 10 (1-Arm at a time)

Workout Comments
I think putting back on its own day with no other muscle groups or deadlifts will lead to some great gains. This workout allowed me to really focus on my back and it is here to stay!

Friday 1/25/2008

Workout = Arms

I decided to do things a little differently today. I have ALWAYS started my arms off with heavy movements like barbell curl and close grip bench. Today I am going to put those at the end of my workout.

DB Preacher Curl
40 X 10, 10, 10

DB Kickback
30 X 10, 10, 10

Hammer Strength Preacher Curl
50 X 6
40 X 1
50 X 6

Machine Extension
50 X 10
60 X 6
50 X 10

Barbell Curl
75 X 10, 10, 10

Close Grip Bench
185 X 10
205 X 10
225 X 6

BB Forearm Curl
155 X 10, 10

Hammer Gripper
150 X 10, 10

Workout Comments
Doing isolation exercise before the big heavy compound movements definitely provided a different feel and I liked it. Doing this also made it so I had to go lighter on barbell curls and close grip bench, which my joints are thanking me for. I think I am going to stick with this strategy for a little bit.

Saturday 1/26/2008

Workout = Legs

Squats
365 X 6, 3, 3

Stiff Leg Deadlift
185 X 10, 10, 10

Leg Press
630 X 10, 10, 10

Bunch of Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, and some sets of the Ab/Adductor machines.

Workout Comments
A solid workout day. I tried going a little heavier on squats today. This is the heaviest I have gone since my lower back injury. I think I am going to go back down to 315 and work on increasing my stability and endurance on squats. Right now I can get 315 for 10 reps. I am going to shoot for 315 for 12-15 reps next week.

Weekly Reflection
I tried out some new training strategies this week that seems to work well for me. I am going to use these strategies next week as well. I will be keeping my diet the same next week. After next week I will most likely increase calories. Right now I am aiming to enter the 2009 NPC Michigan Championships. This will be my first competition in 5 years! This is the competition I was going to enter in 2006 but was unable to due to certain factors. I have definitely made some improvements over the past 5 years, but I have had some injuries that have hold me back. First it was my IT band on my left leg. This happened when I was trying to squat 600 lbs. I was stuck at 585 lbs for 3 reps and I think I was just pushing myself too hard to often; this was an overuse injury. Next came my lower back injury which slowed me down from September 2006 to about September 2007. My lower back is still not 100% but it is slowly getting better. Right now my main focus is adding muscle, specifically to my back. I have over a year until the 2009 NPC Michigan Championships, which gives me time to make improvements. It is time to get to work!