Rodja's Dropping Weight While Gaining Strength Log

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As I have said in other parts of this board, I have decided to drop down to the 155 lb weight class in MMA. I plan on having at least one more fight at 170 (specifically a rematch w/ my first opponent), but for the most part, I am focused on staying at LW. I have been working on a new routine to maximize strength gains without impairing my recovery. It is similar to a 5x5 program, but it also has some elements of a Westside program.

Mon- Heavy Push/Dynamic Pull day
BB Rows
Flat BP
Cleans
Dips
Core
Thai Boxing

Wed-Heavy Pull/Dynamic Push
Deads
Step-Ups
Pull-Ups
Unilateral Leg Press
Hammer Curls
Cardio (Sprints)

Fri-Mix Day
Clean and Press (Dynamic)
Close-Grip BP (Heavy)
BB Rows (Heavy)
Incline DB (Dynamic)
Core
Cardio (Distance)

I have BJJ training on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday with Thai Boxing and Judo sprinkled throughout the week. I am going for applicable strength instead of just pure numbers in the gym. I tried a similar routine in January, but it had more volume and it proved to be too much. Hopefully, this time will yield a more positive result.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Subscribed as I'm looking to do the same

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Monday's WO
BB Rows - 225x10, 245x8, 275x6
Flat BP - 155x8, 165x6, 185x2
Cleans - 135x10, 155x8
Dips - BWx10x2
Trunk Rotations/Planks - 50x20/30 sec, 50x20/30 sec

I felt pretty ****ty all day and this WO was not even close to my normal intensity. Numbers were not that bad, but the mental side was lacking immensely. Hopefully, Wednesday will be better and I don't have any more ill effects from my F'ed up sleeping pattern that I am having ATM.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Throwing some judo in there...nice. Can we expect some Karo-esque throws in the future?

Have you ever done snatches in your workouts? I suppose there are only a limited number of exercises you can do with all the other training you do before you start overtraining.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Great this is just what I was looking for Rodja. Thanks for the reply man!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Throwing some judo in there...nice. Can we expect some Karo-esque throws in the future?

Have you ever done snatches in your workouts? I suppose there are only a limited number of exercises you can do with all the other training you do before you start overtraining.
One of the guys I train with is a 3rd degree black belt in Judo (in addition to being a high level purple in BJJ). I have put a new emphasis on takedowns and he is the best resource I have. I doubt I will be able to pull a Karo, but you never know.

I have never trained with snatches and I have been afraid to incorporate them because of my shoulder. I have enough trouble as is and I think snatches would be too much.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deadlifts - 275x5, 315x5, 335x5
Unilateral Leg Press - 2 platesx8x2
Trunk Rotations/Pull-Ups - 50x20/BWx3, 60x20/BWx4, 60x20/BWx5
Hammer Curls - 50x5x2

I went to Judo/BJJ and had 7 matches. I did decent, but I have had better performances. I fell on my neck when I went for an armbar from the back and decided to call it a day.

This is only the second WO, but I have decided to scrap deadlifts. I love doing them, but they seem to compromise my recovery too much. I am moving cleans from Mon to Wed and adding in either One-Arm Rows or Chins on Mon.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today, actually this whole week, I was not in the mentality to go balls-out in the gym, but I did the best that I could.
Close-Grip BP - 185x10, 205x8, 225x6
Clean and Press - 115x10, 135x8, 140x6
BB Rows - 225x10, 245x10
Underhand Pulldowns - 160x6x2
Facepulls/Trunk Rotations - 70x15x2/70x20x2

My left shoulder was killing me the entire WO and there is a lot of discomfort when I raise my arm on front of me. Hopefully, it is not anything serious because I cannot afford to have a shoulder injury at this point.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't go to BJJ today to let my shoulder rest a little so I did some HIIT cardio today. Last week, I did 11 MPH for 30 seconds on a 5% grade with 90 seconds at 4 MPH on a 5% grade 10 times. This week I did 11 MPH on a 5% grade for 40 seconds and 80 seconds at 4 MPH on a 5% grade 5 times and 11 MPH on a 5% grade for 30 seconds and 90 seconds at MPH on a 5% grade. I tried to keep the beginning pace up, but it was too much after 5 times. My HR by the end was between 188-192 BPM, so I was almost at my max HR. I am trying to push myself to be comfortable at that pace so I don't gas out like I did in my first fight.

After the cardio, I sat in the sauna for about 12 minutes to cut a little water weight and to see where I am at weight wise and I weighed-in at 174. Getting closer to where I need to get to, but I could make 170 on Monday if I really needed to, which is always nice to know.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even though today is my B-Day, I still went to the gym and busted my ass.

Flat BP - 165x4, 185x2, 190x1
BB Rows - 205x3x5 (15 seconds rest)
Dips - BWx10, BW+10x8
Trunk Rotations/Weighted Crunches/Pull-Ups - (60x20/110x30/BWx5)x3 (15 seconds rest)

After lifting, I did HIIT sprints on the treadmill. The sprint was at 11 MPH at a 5% grade and the rest was at 4 MPH at a 5% grade. I did this 10 times and the highest my HR got was ~190 BPM. I sat in the sauna for 13 minutes or so afterward, but I didn't weigh myself today. All in all, this was a very good WO from both a strength and performance perspective.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Even though today is my B-Day, I still went to the gym and busted my ass.

Flat BP - 165x4, 185x2, 190x1
BB Rows - 205x3x5 (15 seconds rest)
Dips - BWx10, BW+10x8
Trunk Rotations/Weighted Crunches/Pull-Ups - (60x20/110x30/BWx5)x3 (15 seconds rest)

After lifting, I did HIIT sprints on the treadmill. The sprint was at 11 MPH at a 5% grade and the rest was at 4 MPH at a 5% grade. I did this 10 times and the highest my HR got was ~190 BPM. I sat in the sauna for 13 minutes or so afterward, but I didn't weigh myself today. All in all, this was a very good WO from both a strength and performance perspective.
Happy b-day. Good idea scrapping the deads, when I go hard on deads I am like a zombie for a few days after.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Happy b-day. Good idea scrapping the deads, when I go hard on deads I am like a zombie for a few days after.
My lower back just can't recover fast enough when I do deads. I wish I could still do them, but, like squats, they are more harmful than beneficial to me now.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I lifted a little later than normal today because I went out for lunch with my ex-GF (it was for my b-day). I also am going to go spar this evening with some of training partners and do some conditioning as well.

Cleans - 155x6, 165x6, 185x6 (I felt really good on these today)
Step-Ups - 90x6x3 (5 seconds rest between sets, focusing on hip flexors)
One-Arm Rows - 100x8x2
Unilateral Leg Press - 2 platesx6x3 (5 seconds rest, explosive)
Woodchoppers - 50x10x2

This WO has a heavy emphasis on hip power to help with sweeps, bridges, etc. On every exercise, sans one-arm rows, I focused on exploding with my hip/pelvic muscles. I haven't really done cleans in about a year, but I am almost at the same weight now as then and I am about 10 lbs lighter. Weight today pre-WO, after a pretty heavy lunch, was 176.5.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My sparring/conditioning session went really well today. I am not near where I would like to be, but I did very well for being in the early stages of fight preparation. I did 3, 3-minute rounds of cross-training and calisthenics and 3, 4-minute rounds of sparring. I was not ridiculously tired and felt like I had more in the tank even after lifting and biking ~7 miles today. The only part that sucked was that my sparring partner and I both went for a takedown and we knocked heads. I got hit about 3 inches above my temple and it took me a few minutes to recover, but I got lucky really; the other guy got hit in the top of his head and it slightly compressed his neck. He is okay, but I am sure that we will both have nice bums and bruises tomorrow.

thewilman

thewilman

Awards
  • Established
Happy Belated Birthday Brother!!!

:djparty: