Losing fat like I am on crack -- JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Purpose:
To track progress and give feedback on the workout designed by Marc McDougal and displayed in issue #38 found here: Lose Fat Like You’re on Crack! by Marc McDougal

Further discussion can be found here: Lose Fat Like You’re on Crack! - Mind and Muscle Forums

Goals:
I am hoping to see a modest reduction in bodyfat. Your opinions on after pics and the tape measure will be the judge at the end. I hope to keep my 15" inch "guns" and only see a reduction in the waist and cuts appear. My main goal is to get down to a weight where I can see what needs to be brought up and focus on increasing cals while not adding excessive fat add some LBM but that's after the 6 weeks are up.

Intro:
I have been working out and doing a modified TUT routine as well as a random full body routine with a day or two of cardio a week. Prior to Jan 1st I had not worked out in over 4-5 months and have dropped from 172lbs to my current weight.

Stats:
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 159lbs
BF: 12% --?
Body type: Endo - slight meso? Storing most of my fat on innner upper thighs and lower back and obliques. With some being torwards my armpit chest/nipple.

Measurements: - From 7/15/06
Arms - L=15.5 R=15.25
Forearms - 12
Waist - 33
Chest - 45
Thighs - L= 24.25 R= 24.75
Calves - L= 16 R= 16.25

Measurements: - Current as of 2/14/07
Arms - L=14.25 R=14.25
Forearms - L=11 R=11
Waist - 32.5
Chest - 41
Thighs - L=22.5 R=23
Calves - L=15.25 R=15.5

So I stopped working out at the end of July and ate like crap and have been working out just over a month now and that's where I stand... meh.. not bad.

Supplements:
Multi Vitamin - no iron
Vitamin C
Flax oil
Fish oil

Training schedule:

Read the article.... it's not only funny but if you plan on following this log it would be helpful. The split is between two working groups A and B with alternating them for a total of 4 workouts a week. The workout is progressive and changes week to week.

I lift on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Cardio is done 3x a week and right now consists of 2 mile brisk walks with the my wife and then children in the stroller. I might bump up cardio and fasted cardio on non lifting days.

Example

Monday - Workout A
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - Workout B
Thrusday - Cardio
Friday - Workout A
Saturday - Workout B
Sunday - Off

Diet:
No idea... I am eating pretty healthy and clean but as far as a macro break down I know I have to go pretty low on calories to lose weight.

You can see all foods that were ate in my fitday journal. It is fully updated the next morning.

If you have any comments please feel free to post.

Last edited:
JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
DATE:
Monday February 12, 2007 (Week 1, Day 1)

WEIGHT:

TOTAL KCal:

TRAINING:

Workout A (Quad Dominant/Horizontal Push/Horizontal Pull)

EXERCISE - SETS- WEIGHT:

A1: Overhead Squat 1x10
70lbs

A2: Push Up 1x10
Body Weight

A3: Split Squat 1x10
70lbs - way way to heavy - will be doing body weight next time as they are awkward.

A4: Bent Over Row 1x10
70lbs - needs to be way heavier.

A5: Hanging Leg Raise 1x10
Body Weight

REST 2 minutes

70lbs

Body Weight

70lbs - way way to heavy - will be doing body weight next time as they are awkward.

70lbs - needs to be way heavier.

Body Weight

Rest 2 minutes

B1: DB Front Squat 1x10
40lb DB's

B2: Flat DB Bench Press 1x10
40lb DB's - will go heavier next time

B3: Elevated Full Lunge 1x10
50lbs

B4: Horizontal Ball Pull Up 1x10
I am an idiot and did this completely wrong... I sat on the ball and squeezed with my thighs and ankles... Next time I will place ankles on ball and hang from bar and do "pull up"

B5: Incline Leg Raise 1x10
Body Weight

Total sets = 15
Total rest = 4 minutes

Prehab/Rehab
C: Seated External Rotation 2x15 (Teres Minor emphasis)
20lbs

This: Cable Seated External Rotation -- Except I didn't turn my sholder towards stack like in the picture and of course, seated.

NOTES:
This workout only lasted 25 minutes approx. Next time I will set up more of my weight and load plates on bars etc... I was exhausted but had fun doing it.

Last edited:
TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
You still look a hellva lot bigger than me by your pics... but those stats are a bit surprising. Good Luck Joneser. :)

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
You still look a hellva lot bigger than me by your pics... but those stats are a bit surprising. Good Luck Joneser. :)
I need to update measurements... they were carried over from last log copy/paste.

I updated the measurements in my first post but will post them here as well...

Measurements: - Current as of 2/14/07
Arms - L=14.25 R=14.25
Forearms - L=11 R=11
Waist - 32.5
Chest - 41
Thighs - L=22.5 R=23
Calves - L=15.25 R=15.5

Last edited:
Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo

Awards
Looking forward to seeing your results with this program.

After you master the Split Squat with body weight, switch to DB's instead of the barbell.

Also, if you're new to the Overhead Squat, use 2 DB's with a neutral grip, then work up to a barbell in time.

Most people have some amount of trouble keeping the arms/DB's from drifting forward at the lower half of the OH squat, so I typically have them perform some thoracic cage stretching prior to the exercise, and between rounds.

As it appears you've begun to realize, don't expect to use the same weight for multiple exercises, these aren't complexes, they should be treated as totally different exercises with different loading demands.

Finally, I wouldn't use that format for the Seated External Rotation. Get your arm out in front of you, rested on your knee and sit on a bench. This can be done on a cable or with a dumbbell, just don't do it like the guy in that pic. And you are correct to keep the humerus neutral in the socket and not allow it to protract at the end of the eccentric phase.

-Marc

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
DATE:
Wednesday February 14, 2007 (Week 1, Day 3)

WEIGHT:

TOTAL KCal:
I ate alot but being that we went to the spa and had a couple of lunches and snacks there and then went off to a Valentines day dinner I have no idea -- was over 2500 calories tho

TRAINING:

Workout B (Posterior Chain Dominant/Vertical Push/Vertical Pull)

EXERCISE - SETS- WEIGHT:

A1: Hang Clean 1x10
80lbs

A2: Pull Up 1x10
Body Weight

A3: Hip Pull Thru 1x10
40lbs

A4: Dips 1x10
Body Weight

A5: Cable Crunch 1x10
80lbs

REST 2 minutes

A1: Hang Clean 1x5
100lbs - I gassed out on this exercise

A2: Pull Up 1x6
Body Weight

50lbs

Body Weight

90lbs

Rest 2 minutes

B1: Dead Lift 1x10
100lbs - Can go to 135 as this was way to light but didn't want to over do it after the hang cleans

B2: Standing Cable Pull down (Face Pull) 1x10
30lbs

B3: Glute Ham Raise 1x10
Body Weight - I improvise and use the seat and knee bolster on the pull down machine

B4: Standing DB Overhead Press 1x10
30lbs - Will go to 40lbs next time

B5: Cable Crunch 1x10

Total sets = 15
Total rest = 4 minutes

Prehab/Rehab
C: Low Cable External Rotation (Infraspinatus emphasis)
20lbs

NOTES:
Well I need to adjust my diet to add more carbs in the morning as I gassed out big time on the hang cleans. Yanking up catching it at my shoulder level and dropping down to a squat is very tough. I will say I get some attention while doing this work out. The dip bars are on the complete opposite side of the gym so I am sprinting across the community center cardio floor bang out 10 and then run back for the cable crunches all while getting set up for the next bout. It's great I love it!

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
After you master the Split Squat with body weight, switch to DB's instead of the barbell.

Also, if you're new to the Overhead Squat, use 2 DB's with a neutral grip, then work up to a barbell in time.

Most people have some amount of trouble keeping the arms/DB's from drifting forward at the lower half of the OH squat, so I typically have them perform some thoracic cage stretching prior to the exercise, and between rounds.

As it appears you've begun to realize, don't expect to use the same weight for multiple exercises, these aren't complexes, they should be treated as totally different exercises with different loading demands.

Finally, I wouldn't use that format for the Seated External Rotation. Get your arm out in front of you, rested on your knee and sit on a bench. This can be done on a cable or with a dumbbell, just don't do it like the guy in that pic. And you are correct to keep the humerus neutral in the socket and not allow it to protract at the end of the eccentric phase.

-Marc
Thanks for swinging by Marc - I appreciate it. I will not deviate from the program and do it right so I am sure we will see some excellent results.

I didn't really have a problem with the OH squat but might try them for the split squat.

Can you explain the difference between the seated external rotation and the low cable ext. rotation? From your other explanation on M&M I will sit a bench and rest my elbow on my knee. Basically same position as the video link above just on a bench with my elbow on my knee?

Not sure how to do the Low cable ext. rotation. I looked up "Infraspinatus" and tried to visulize rotation but couldn't piece together the exercise.

- Jonesie

Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo

Awards
Thanks for swinging by Marc - I appreciate it. I will not deviate from the program and do it right so I am sure we will see some excellent results.

I didn't really have a problem with the OH squat but might try them for the split squat.

Can you explain the difference between the seated external rotation and the low cable ext. rotation? From your other explanation on M&M I will sit a bench and rest my elbow on my knee. Basically same position as the video link above just on a bench with my elbow on my knee?

Not sure how to do the Low cable ext. rotation. I looked up "Infraspinatus" and tried to visulize rotation but couldn't piece together the exercise.

- Jonesie
If you check out this article on Mind and Muscle, I go into detail about shoulder rehab/prehab exercises with some good photos of both movements.

Corrective Methods for Common Postural Devations

You look bigger than your measurements reveal. Strange.

This workout gets very challenging, you have a lot of good times to look forward to.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
DATE:
Friday February 16, 2007 (Week 1, Day 5)

WEIGHT:

TOTAL KCal:
Got off to a bad start at the Airport with a Bagel Omlett Sandwich and then also had lunch out on the way home.

TRAINING:

EXERCISE - SETS- WEIGHT:

70lbs

Body Weight

Body Weight

115lbs - needs to be way heavier.

Body Weight

REST 2 minutes

70lbs

Body Weight

Body Weight - absolutely kills me, it's awkward and hits my glutes like nothing else and streches my leg that's up like crazy.

135lbs -

Body Weight

Rest 2 minutes

40lb DB's

50lb DB's - will go heavier next time

50lbs

Body Weight

Body Weight

Total sets = 15
Total rest = 4 minutes

Prehab/Rehab
20lbs

NOTES:
I need to get my diet locked on. It's hard with my business as some times I am out and about and have to eat out. I make clean choices but it makes it hard to get a correct amount of calories.

It does feel weird to not train arms or calves directly and also the fact that I am in and out of the gym in almost less than 30 minutes and that 30 minutes also includes setup of weights and benches. I do love that.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
If you check out this article on Mind and Muscle, I go into detail about shoulder rehab/prehab exercises with some good photos of both movements.

Corrective Methods for Common Postural Devations

You look bigger than your measurements reveal. Strange.

This workout gets very challenging, you have a lot of good times to look forward to.

After reading the article they are clear as day on how to preform. I had actually been doing the external rotations with 5lbs plates before I bench for many years.

I know I have should alignment problems as I just did a mock flash light test (It's 8AM and Home Depot is NOT open on a Saturday that early) But I can already tell l as I was holding two wooden dowels that they would intersect in front of me in about 5 feet. Although I won't be taking your advise and to stop and rehab immediately. I will be doing so after this 6 weeks and I am back from Florida.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I missed Saturdays workout due to my business and Sunday I just got busy catching up with house stuff. So I missed 2nd workout B of the week.

DATE:
Monday February 19, 2007 (Week 2, Day 8)

WEIGHT:
Starting - 159lbs
Current - 160lbs

TOTAL KCal:

FitDay.com - Diet and Fitness journal for JonesersRX7

Please note that I don't take that many fish oil/flax caps at the same time. I split them up with my meals.

TRAINING:

EXERCISE - SETS- WEIGHT:

80lbs

Body Weight

30lbs

135lbs

Body Weight

REST 2 minutes

80lbs

Body Weight

30lbs

135lbs

Body Weight

Rest 2 minutes

40lb DB's

50lb DB's

30lbs

Body Weight

Body Weight

Rest 2 minutes

40lb DB's

50lb DB's

30lbs

Body Weight

Body Weight

Total sets = 20
Total rest = 6 minutes

Prehab/Rehab
12lbs DB

NOTES:
Work out went well today. I definately feel weird not doing any direct arm training so I need to get over that. My order came in from Nutraplanet and I have DCP from RPN sitting in my cabinet calling my name. I think I will go another week and then start it up in the 3rd.

Marc - instead of jumping rope do you think I could replace with jumping jacks? There is not alot of room in our community center so I was wondering if I could make something else work.

Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo

Awards
I've used jumping jacks as well as a Concept 2 rowing machine in place of jumping rope with success.

Don't worry about the lack of direct arm work. You can do an arm specialization program when this is over if need be.

With the dips and all of the rowing, you'll be getting plenty of compound work for the arms. You can switch the pull up to a medium grip supinated chin up if you feel the biceps are lacking.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
DATE:
Wednesday February 21, 2007 (Week 2, Day 10)

WEIGHT:

TOTAL KCal:

TRAINING:

Workout B (Posterior Chain Dominant/Vertical Push/Vertical Pull)

EXERCISE - SETS- WEIGHT:

A1: Hang Clean 1x10
80lbs

A2: Pull Up 1x10
Body Weight

50lbs

Body Weight

100lbs

REST 2 minutes

A1: Hang Clean 1x5
80lbs

A2: Pull Up 1x6
Body Weight

60lbs

Body Weight

110lbs

Rest 2 minutes

135lbs

30lbs

Body Weight - I improvise and use the seat and knee bolster on the pull down machine

35lbs

Rest 2 minutes and repeat

135lbs

30lbs

35lbs

Total sets = 20
Total rest = 6 minutes

Prehab/Rehab
C: Low Cable External Rotation (Infraspinatus emphasis)
12lbs DB's

NOTES:
Went great - Fat loss is starting to show up now. I Will be starting DCP tomorrow and adding in morning fasted cardio in week 3.

I can't wait to start those jumping jacks! w00t.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
DATE:
Monday February 23, 2007 (Week 2, Day 12)

WEIGHT:
Starting - 159lbs
Current - 162lbs

TOTAL KCal:
Unknown

FitDay.com - Diet and Fitness journal for JonesersRX7

TRAINING:

EXERCISE - SETS- WEIGHT:

80lbs

Body Weight

40lbs

135lbs

Body Weight

REST 1 minutes

80lbs

Body Weight

30lbs

135lbs

Body Weight

Rest 2 minutes

40lb DB's

50lb DB's

30lbs

Body Weight

Body Weight

Rest 2 minutes

40lb DB's

50lb DB's

30lbs

Body Weight

Body Weight

Total sets = 20
Total rest = 6 minutes

Prehab/Rehab
12lbs DB

NOTES:
I felt really sick at the end. Def. kicked my butt this go around as I only rested one minute after group A.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Missed Saturdays workout as I felt like junk all weekend. Will be working out later today.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Missed Mondays workout as well. Diet has been top notch though. I am just very busy with work and instead of working out I got someone involved in the REI education company I represent and then I had to go to my title company to sign papers and closed on one of my wholesale deals. All said and done it was a good day to miss the gym for the amount of money that was made.

I did do morning fasted cardio for 30 minutes on Tuesday and just got back from the gym tonight and will post that workout in an hour after I have my PWO shake.

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Well I got back from Orlando and after covering 5 theme parks in 6 days I have been sick. I have been super busy and stressed the past week I have been home and got sick.

It's the ... I feel like dog arse ache all over running nose kind of sick where if I don't take two 600mg Motrin every 4-5 hours I don't want to get out of bed.

I love this workout I just need to take it slower when I feel up to snuff as I feel the sudden 0-100 in ball busting effort layed into my immune system.

I will resume when I feel better.