started 6 week WESTSIDE bench program - AnabolicMinds.com

started 6 week WESTSIDE bench program

  1. Professional Member
    mixedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,188
    Rep Power
    1770

    Reputation

    started 6 week WESTSIDE bench program


    WEll I have a plateu on my flat bench for the last 3 weeks so I decided to check out WESTSIDE i found a 6week Brench Press workout Article and started it today

    so i did 8 set of 3 reps at 60% maximum
    max 255lbs 60% 155lbs

    I followed up flat bench with 12 sets of tricep work.

    Due to time constraints I will have to do back biceps and forearms on a seperate day.
    Also discovered I wasn't benching straight up as I should after reading the program i was benching with the bar going over my face.

    Hopefully this will get me past my plateu will keep you guys updated.

  2. Advanced Member
    ralph4u2c's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    27
    Posts
    759
    Rep Power
    525

    Reputation

    care to post the article so i can read
  3. Professional Member
    mixedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,188
    Rep Power
    1770

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ralph4u2c
    care to post the article so i can read
    it came out to about 6 pages but it is on their website and it's free they actucally have several bench articles the one I am working off is called something like coming of a plateu in bench.
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    ralph4u2c's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    27
    Posts
    759
    Rep Power
    525

    Reputation

    im not familiar with WESTSIDE ... cept im from the westside of the mississippi: in new orleans and im not familiar with this style of training.

    do they have a link to their website or something, i think ill be giving this a try soon and would love to read up on it as well.
  5. Board Supporter
    guyfromkop2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    579

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ralph4u2c
    im not familiar with WESTSIDE ... cept im from the westside of the mississippi: in new orleans and im not familiar with this style of training.

    do they have a link to their website or something, i think ill be giving this a try soon and would love to read up on it as well.

  6. Senior Member
    UHCougar05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    737

    Reputation

    I'm feeling generous...Start Here: Westside Barbell Articles
  7. Professional Member
    mixedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,188
    Rep Power
    1770

    Reputation

    Flat Bench
    185lbs 73% max 2x5, 4x3
    Incline Bench 6x5 135lbs
    One thing about this program is it has me doing different width grips on the bar and I found by just bringing my hands in a little closer it is alot easier on my shoulder.

    Friday will be a max day following protocol i will try to get a current max since i haven't hit my all time max in 3weeks.

    Feels weird only doing 3 reps with a lighter weight than I am used to but if it works for WESTSIDE I'm just going to follow the program and see where it takes me in 6 weeks.
  8. Professional Member
    mixedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,188
    Rep Power
    1770

    Reputation

    OH YEAH good day

    Max effort day. been approx 4 weeks since my bench stalled even gone down. 07/18/2006 I hit my Pr of 255lbs since then it stalled and even went down I haven't gotten up over 235lbs since then. So I started West-Side to get over the plateu. Well today was first max effort day and here's how it went.

    warmups 2x8 95lbs 1x4 185lbs 1x4 205lbs

    single reps 225, 235, 250 (easy)

    So i tried to go to 260lbs almost had it over half way up then both my hamstrings cramped (locked up)?? any ideas did i arch my back to much.

    but anyways very happy as this is the first time i got past 235lbs in 4 weeks and today i blasted past.

    looking forward to the next 4 weeks.
  9. Professional Member
    mixedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,188
    Rep Power
    1770

    Reputation

    Speed Day
    Flat Bench 8x3 185lbs same weight but a little more speed on the reps.
    Incline Bench 1x8 1x5 155lbs 3x8 135lbs
    Incline Flys 3x8 30lbs
  10. Professional Member
    mixedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,188
    Rep Power
    1770

    Reputation

    ME day
    warm up 2x8 95lbs 1x6 185lbs 1x4 205lbs
    225x2 90% max 245x1 96% max
    tried for 260lkbs but missed

    OH well always next week
  11. New Member
    peterson24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    302
    Rep Power
    255

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by mixedup
    Flat Bench
    185lbs 73% max 2x5, 4x3
    Incline Bench 6x5 135lbs
    One thing about this program is it has me doing different width grips on the bar and I found by just bringing my hands in a little closer it is alot easier on my shoulder.

    Friday will be a max day following protocol i will try to get a current max since i haven't hit my all time max in 3weeks.

    Feels weird only doing 3 reps with a lighter weight than I am used to but if it works for WESTSIDE I'm just going to follow the program and see where it takes me in 6 weeks.
    If you are benching properly, you'll find your lats and tri's doing most of the work. shoulders should feel little strain. Your hands should feel like you are tearing the bar apart and your lats and shoulders squeezed together on the bench with a nice arch in your back bringing the bar down to your lower chest/upper abs. Even knowing all this, I still have problems with my own form.
  12. Professional Member
    mixedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,188
    Rep Power
    1770

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by peterson24
    If you are benching properly, you'll find your lats and tri's doing most of the work. shoulders should feel little strain. Your hands should feel like you are tearing the bar apart and your lats and shoulders squeezed together on the bench with a nice arch in your back bringing the bar down to your lower chest/upper abs. Even knowing all this, I still have problems with my own form.

    Yes that' was the problem i had today I brought the bar down to high on my chest and when i went to push up i hit it against the lower supports so I missed.
  13. Advanced Member
    -2z-'s Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    43
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    499

    Reputation

    If you need info on WS training, EliteFTS.com has Tons o' information for that kind of training (conjugate training).

    It's straight from the guys who started the Westside Barbell gym that's full of some of the strongest guys in the sport.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Starting Smolov Jr. Bench
    By DALLASxBROWN in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 12:15 AM
  2. Starting week 3 off 1-AD/Ergomax..
    By JonasDavidsson in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 10:48 AM
  3. Starting Bobos Muscle Building Program...
    By kwyckemynd00 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 08:37 PM
  4. 12 week high volume program utilizing M1T as a cutting aid
    By Yimen E.Cricket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in