Peterson's Log by request of KOP...

Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Squats are looking good!

2. have you noticed your strength gains coming along nicely.

3. thanks guys. I hav been noticing my squat going up but I attribute that to the core work I am doing through PT. It is helping a bunch. Starting to get ijn a dilemma though. I am skating a bunch now and my lifting is hurting me on the ice. I did speed day today and skated tonight and definitly didn't have the jump i usually do. I need to figure ot how to integrate skating into this mix. But, westside is definitly increasing my strength. I think my bench has slowed, but my DL and squat may be gaining. I still weigh about the same at around 182-184

4. Thursday September 14 (DE Squat Day)

Box Squat with Light Bands:
    175x8x2 (Speed was really quick)

Box Squat doubles:
    On the lighter weight here, I found myself coming up with such force that the bar was lifting off my back.

295x2 (all easy)

Step Ups with dumbells:
    30lbs each hand. 20inch vertical step
    4 sets x 5

Thats all I did yesterday. I also skated last night and did not have the energy I usually do, I need to somehow switch leg day to avoid it on the same nights I am skating

5. This week is an off week. I will continue my PT core work but I will max out at the end of this week, probably around thrusday, friday.

Previous max:
    Bench - 275
    Squat - around 325
    Deadlift - 425

Bench - 285
    Squat - 360
    Deadlift - 480

Total - 1125

6. Good luck on Max day! I would suggest doing them PLing order, Squat/BP/DL, also I think you should slap a couple lil round discs on the bar and pull 5 bills!

7. thanks man. It will be different this time around. No summer distractions like I had in the beginning of July. I will go in that order and If I am feeling good, I may go for 5 bills. I have gotten more with the help of bands so it may be possible.

8. Thursday September 21 (Max Day)

Looks Like back to the drawing board. Missed all my lifts and I just wasn't ready.

Squat: 345x1 - I hit this but don't think I had higher in me. I am not 100% positive I got to parallel but I was the only one there. I probably did because I have a tendency to go below without realizing it. It was really weird without doing it on a box though.

Bench: Miss 280 - Got to 2 board height, could not lock out.

DL: Hit 405x1 easy. Went for 455 and missed. Got an inch off the ground. Went down to 445 and missed. I just felt really drained from the other attempts. There you have it, pretty pathetic.

If anyone wants to suggest something, go ahead, all ears.

9. hard workout leave the body depleted have you taken any breaks? A week would be good for ya.

10. This was my week off, that's why I went for my max's today, I haven't done anything else. Anyway, definitly taxing on the system. I feel exhausted just sitting here and typing this.

11. I felt as if my post may be stupid before i typed it. I thought to my self.... I hope he didnt just post he was taking time Maybe you could use a good white tea, or a good stimulant.

12. Well, Went back, readjusted my maxes and calculated my new weights I should be working with. Hopefully it gets better these next 8 weeks.

September 25, 2006 (Off Day):
    Golf in the afternoon. Ice Hockey at night. It was a good skate because I was a little sore the next day

13. September 26 (ME Bench Day):

Rack Presses:

Incline Close Grip:

Lat Pulldown:

Front Raises:
    20lb x 7 x 4

Rear Raises:
    15lb x 8 x 4

Core Work...

14. To help with getting your DL off the floor, incorporate some DLs off a platform, I like using a couple 100lb plates, just set it up so your feet are still under the bar. Do this on semi heavy speed sets, when you put your feet back on the floor the weight seems to fly of the floor.
    Bench Press I would try to study your form, have someone video tape you and see if you can make adjusments, do you tuck your elbows? Are you using your whole body? Are you pulling the bar apart? Form is everything in the BP, when it finally clicked for me I went up 50lbs!
    For Squats I would incorporate regular squats into your w/o's while box squats are great, I don't think doing them every w/o is a great idea. Mostly because you can do so much more with a regular squat and when you go from doing box to maxing normal the weight will feel extremely heavy and will put you at a disadvantage mentally and your CNS will not be prepared for the extra weight.

Just my 1 cent. Good luck on this next cycle! I feel your pain trying to incorporate skating/lifting. I tried to race bikes and lift for years and it never worked, I ended up riding all summer with about 2 light w/o's a week and lifting all winter with roller work. It's all or nothing for me!

15. Good advice Basso. I think I really have come to a point where I need someone to look at my form. Problem is I don't have another knowledgable power lifter around me. I even think my form for my squat needs a little tweaking. The deadlift is the only one I am pretty comfortable in. As for the box squats, I think you are dead on with that too. I am going to try more regular squats in my routine. There is definitly a big difference between the two.

16. Quote Originally Posted by peterson24
    Good advice Basso. I think I really have come to a point where I need someone to look at my form. Problem is I don't have another knowledgable power lifter around me. I even think my form for my squat needs a little tweaking. The deadlift is the only one I am pretty comfortable in. As for the box squats, I think you are dead on with that too. I am going to try more regular squats in my routine. There is definitly a big difference between the two.
    Just bring a camera with you and ask for a spot, then hand them the camera, I think most will be more then willing to film a set for you.

17. Wednesday September 27 (Recovery, Assistance Work):

Self massage with Foam Roller

GHR on lat machine:
    3 sets 5 reps with medium band assitance

Grip Work (Wrist Rollers):
    4 sets @ 15lbs both directions

18. Thursday September 28 (ME Squat Day):

Skating at night, so didn't do too much

345x1 (No problem) depth was dead on, no questions on this one

Bulgarian Split Squat:
    40lb dumbells in each hand, 4 sets x 5

Hyper Extension with 25lbs:
    3 sets x 10

Core Work

19. Friday (Missed, off at work, out golfing couldn't make it)

20. Monday October 2 (DE Squat Day):

Squat with Light Bands:
    175x2x8 (Speed was good, different without box but adjusted quick)
    Bulgarian Split Squat:
    35lb dumbells, 3 sets x 6
    1 set x 8

Pull Throughs:

Core Work:
    Planks, side raises, etc ....

21. Tuesday October 3 (ME Bench Day):

Rack Presses:
    315x0 (Barely missed, up halfway, could not lock out)
    305x1 (A little slow but got it) *think this is a new PR

Incline Close Grip:

Weighted Wide Grip Chins:
    +10lbs x 5 x 3
    +10lbs x 3

Delta Shoulders (Front, side and rear raises, 15 each)
    10lb dumbells x 2 sets

Core Work:
    Wood chops, Leg raises, etc all high reps. Prehab stuff.

22. Friday October 6 (ME Squat Day and DE Bench Day)

Due to scheduling conflicts, I did a lot of stuff today

Core Work

Dead Lift off Pins (About 6 inches off ground):

GHR on lat machine:
    4 x 8 with light band for assistance

Pull throughs:

Bench with mini Bands:

close grip incline bench:

Face Pulls:

Weighted Chins:
    +10lb x 5 x 4

23. Monday October 9 (ME Bench Day)

1 Board Press:
    275x3 (needed just a tap on last rep)

Close Grip Incline Press:

Lat Pulldown:

Face Pulls:

Hang Cleans:

Tri Pull Down with Rope:

Core Work with ball

24. Tuesday October 10 (DE Squat Day)

Squat with Light Bands:

GHR on lat machine with mini band assistance:

Pull Throughs with Light Band:

Bulgarian Split Squats:
    40lb DB x 6 x 1 (Didn't feel great, hips were tight, ended here and stretched. Wanted to avoid injury)

25. Wednesday October 11 (Accessory Work):

Grip Work:

Wrist Rollers
    10lbs x both ways x 4

Static Holds:
    315x30 secs x 3

Core Work

26. Friday October 13 (Max Effort Squat):
    Had hockey night before and game next day, so did not push it

Deadlift off bottom pins (About 6 inches from ground):

30lbs each arm x 8 x 2

GHR with Light band assistance: