Glen's training log (better than beelze's)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
ok so here's the workout:

i hit each body part 3 times every 11 days

my workout program looks like this

(i use explosive positives and 2-4 second negatives for everything except deads and squats for obvious reasons)

workout A
each body part gets 2 warm up sets then 3 working sets of 8-12, 6-8, and 4-6 reps with 2-3 minutes between sets

chest - either incline hammer strength or flat db press
back thickness - deadlifts, rack deads, or bb rows
back width - reverse grip close grip pulldowns or wide grip pull ups
shoulders - hammer strength machine or db presses
tris - skulls or close grip bench

workout B
bis - straight bar curls or preacher curls same sets as "A"
quads - squats or hack squats lots of warm ups and 2 sets of 10-12
hams - SLDL or glute/ham raises same sets as "A"
calves - still trying to find something that works haha

i train monday wed and fri and alternate workouts A and B

i go to failure on every working set and every 5-6 weeks i take an entire week off to let my body recoup

it should be noted that i've begun a mild cut .. this basically means that during the week i will be eating extremely cleanly and at a mild deficeit .. the reason for this is i'm going on vaca to puerto rico in about 6 weeks and i want to drop a little fat

i'm not going to post my diet because i've based it off the cutting plan i got from bobo last year and while its slightly different i don't want to give away any of his info .. just trust me i know what i'm doing when it comes to diet

as for cardio .. well considering i only did it about 20 times in 19 weeks while prepping for my last show i can't imagine it will play a major role in this mild cut .. but if i do it i'll mention it

finally, i'm coming off of a 3 month stint with westside .. it will take me a little bit to get my stamina back up with higher reps so keep that in mind

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
4/10 started with workout B (note this is my first workout back with this training style and will take a bit to refigure out what weights to use and get my stamina back)

i do 2-3 warm up sets per BP but i'm not gonna bore you guys by writing them out

bis - straight bar curls
115 - 10
125 - 7
125 - 4

quads - squats (below parallel)
315 - 12
365 - 7

hams - SLDL
225 - 6
315 - 8
335 - 8

calves (as if it matters) - seated raises
3 plates - 15, 12, 12

this workout today kicked my ass .. i was totally destroyed by the end of it .. i haven't done higher reps with heavy weight in a while and man did i feel it

Last edited:
LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
WOW! This really is better then Beelz's!!!!!!!

Beelz:whip:

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
whoa whoa...this is in the powerlifting/strongman forum??? haha

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
What would you say your main goal with this cycle is? I see your training for myofibular hypertrophy but cals are in deficit. Just curious to hear what you expect to see.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
ivy - just wanted to be sure it was in the same forum as beelze's so everyone could see how much better mine is

jminis - i used a very very similiar program the last 8 or so weeks before my show when i was in a much greater deficiet and i was happy with the results .. i really love this workout as its quick and fun and i've used it both on bulks and cuts and gotten great results both ways

is this the "optimal" routine for a cut .. i have no idea .. but i definitely love it :)

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
ivy - just wanted to be sure it was in the same forum as beelze's so everyone could see how much better mine is

jminis - i used a very very similiar program the last 8 or so weeks before my show when i was in a much greater deficiet and i was happy with the results .. i really love this workout as its quick and fun and i've used it both on bulks and cuts and gotten great results both ways

is this the "optimal" routine for a cut .. i have no idea .. but i definitely love it :)
screw it, you're pretty in-tune with your body, i'm sure you'll know if it needs tweaking. workout does look pretty straight and to the point though. similar to mine somewhat, hitting a bodypart 3 times in 11 days, i think mine is 10 or something. oh, little tip that you may or may not care about. when i was combining SLDL's, regular deads, and rack deads in my schedule, my lower back became overfried very quickly. just something to think about, maybe drop the rack deads and replace with cable rows or something. if not, just keep an eye out for any lower back pain, that's a whole lot of deading. ;)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
that's a great point about the deading beelze .. i'll take it as it comes and if a type of dead is up and i feel like my lower back is too overworked i'll replace it with something else

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established

Sounds good Glen, I'm thinking IGF would be great to run with a program like that when bulking while adding in a set or two for each exercise. Hmmmm:D

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
each body part gets 2 warm up sets then 3 working sets of 8-12, 6-8, and 4-6 reps with 2-3 minutes between sets
I know I have asked you this before. I have tried this type of workout now for the last several weeks. Finding the working set weight is a challenge. I thought your weights were static for all three sets. It seems that for me a 2-3 min rest is enough time for me to recover to do all three sets at the initial 8-12 reps. Are you adding weight to each set to keep the rep count dropping accordingly? Wasn't your earlier plan with a 60-90 sec rest? Not looking to be a hassel. It is just that it is a stretch for me to use so little volume and want to be sure I am not just going through the motions. Thanks.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Glen,
To qute LAKE MOUNTD
haha

On that note, great title lil fella.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I guess I might be crazy but I train every muscle except for hams and lower back 4 times in 7 days, but i alter rep ranges and always stay 1 to 2 reps shy of concentric failure, your program now has me thinking this might be too frequent.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
I know I have asked you this before. I have tried this type of workout now for the last several weeks. Finding the working set weight is a challenge. I thought your weights were static for all three sets. It seems that for me a 2-3 min rest is enough time for me to recover to do all three sets at the initial 8-12 reps. Are you adding weight to each set to keep the rep count dropping accordingly? Wasn't your earlier plan with a 60-90 sec rest? Not looking to be a hassel. It is just that it is a stretch for me to use so little volume and want to be sure I am not just going through the motions. Thanks.

that was what i had been doing prior to westside training .. this time around im just varying it up and increasing the rest time .. and yes, this way i DO increase the reps as if i use the same weight i wouldn't be in my prescribed rep range

and KTW .. that really does sound like an INSANELY high level of frequency

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Yah, I'm trying a Waterbury high frequency program with some Westside twists, it's fairly detailed in my log

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I noticed you had close grip reverse grip pull downs under "back width." Most people use this to hit lower/mid back :think:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
I noticed you had close grip reverse grip pull downs under "back width." Most people use this to hit lower/mid back :think:
you fail to understand that because of glen's height, his back is only about 8" from top to bottom. sure, he's 6' around but at that height, every back exercise works everything equally. :hammer:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
is the dude in your info serious beezle?
lol, no, far from. he's a very accomplished 308lbs PL'er that likes to poke fun at BB'ing, hence all the senseless jargon thrown in haphazardly. he just likes to lift heavy, and he's damn good at it.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
just checking, he seriously sounds like kids i see at my gym

ktw

Awards
  • Established
"Dude, Bro, you didn't load your Celltech right, now you can't go to failure and train hard man. Do you wanna get chicks on spring break or no man? You gotta get serious brah and totally get your carb/creatine ratio on point with your riboflavin serum levels."

guyfromkop2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
lol, no, far from. he's a very accomplished 308lbs PL'er that likes to poke fun at BB'ing, hence all the senseless jargon thrown in haphazardly. he just likes to lift heavy, and he's damn good at it.
actually he's down to about 284 now, going to compete in the 275s. and he's the guy who trains me :D

and beelze, i died laughing when i saw that in your sig

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

that was what i had been doing prior to westside training .. this time around im just varying it up and increasing the rest time .. and yes, this way i DO increase the reps as if i use the same weight i wouldn't be in my prescribed rep range
So you are saying you DO ADD weight to drop the reps down for each set? Or are you saying you don't add weight?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
ahhh i'm a jackass that can't type .. i DO INCREASE the WEIGHT so i can hit the reps i want

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
actually he's down to about 284 now, going to compete in the 275s. and he's the guy who trains me :D

and beelze, i died laughing when i saw that in your sig
it's on his training log on MMI, in response to SB. :icon_lol:

glenihan

Awards
  • Established

try this with a reverse grip about shoulder width and focus on pulling with your lats .. it ABSOLUTELY KILLS my lats .. definitely my favorite lat exercise

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good Glen, I'm thinking IGF would be great to run with a program like that when bulking while adding in a set or two for each exercise. Hmmmm:D
if someone wants to send me some IGF i will GLADLY test this out :)

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
Haha...and to think I thought you were trading in the banana hammock for some carharts.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
banana hammocks are a way of life!

see you in half an hour

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Glen.. Long time no chat.

i just wanted you to know that I've been reading your Better then beelze's training log.

Can't comment on who's actually better though, it's to close to call... If I had to make a choice, I'd have to say my log is best ;)

:run:

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
4/12

DB bench press
105's - 10
115's - 8
120's - 6 (duct tape maybe in order)

BB rows
225 - 10
245 - 8
255 - 7

close, reverse grip pull downs
200 - 10
210 - 8
220 - 6

skullcrushers
115 - 10
125 - 6
130 - 5

hammer strength military press
2 plates - 10
2 plates + 15 - 7
2 plates + 25 - 4

this was a great workout today .. i hit the upper rep range for almost every set (although i was really dying by the time i reached shoulders .. ivydude smoked me on those) .. but i'm very happy with how today went

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established

i hit each body part 3 times every 11 days
Actually if you are working out MWF only you are hitting each body part 3 times every 14 days.

If you don't take weekends off and go every other day, M, W, F, Su, T, Tr, Sa... then you'll be hitting each body part 3 times every 11 days.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
Actually if you are working out MWF only you are hitting each body part 3 times every 14 days.

If you don't take weekends off and go every other day, M, W, F, Su, T, Tr, Sa... then you'll be hitting each body part 3 times every 11 days.
you're absolutely right

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
Thank god no biceps today...Didn't feel the need to get shown up ridiculously with how I was feeling.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
you're absolutely right
Actually I just started your routine for a bulking cycle while "on" but I am working out every other day so I hit each body part 3 times every 11 days.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
4/12

DB bench press
105's - 10
115's - 8
120's - 6 (duct tape maybe in order)

BB rows
225 - 10
245 - 8
255 - 7

close, reverse grip pull downs
200 - 10
210 - 8
220 - 6

skullcrushers
115 - 10
125 - 6
130 - 5

hammer strength military press
2 plates - 10
2 plates + 15 - 7
2 plates + 25 - 4

this was a great workout today .. i hit the upper rep range for almost every set (although i was really dying by the time i reached shoulders .. ivydude smoked me on those) .. but i'm very happy with how today went
that's a gay ass workout right there :D

those skull crushers are impressive, they absolutely tear my elbows to pieces.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
those skull crushers are impressive, they absolutely tear my elbows to pieces.
oh they KILL my elbows but actually hurt the same with a warm up as it does with the heaviest weight i use

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I thought I was the only one with the elbow problem, why does that painful pinching occur? Hey Glen, by reverse grip do you mean palms facing towards or away from your body.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
oh they KILL my elbows but actually hurt the same with a warm up as it does with the heaviest weight i use
same here, so i took em out for good. i couldn't even feel the muscle working anymore on em. i just felt intense elbow pain, figured that can't be good. smith CG's, tate presses, and straight bar pressdowns are my repetoire for now. skull crushers can suck my left one.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Hey Glen, just out of curiosity, what made you decide to increase rest and subsequent weight? One of the things I really like about this workout (esp while cutting) is how it keeps my heartrate up since I am spending more time under tension than resting.

I just want to add for anyone skeptical of the effectiveness of this style workout: you gotta try it before discounting it. I wish I would have started this ages ago. By going 2 days on and one day off I am hitting every bodypart 3x in 8 days and only spending 45 minutes on each workout.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
just decided to change it up a bit .. no real reason

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
That's profound. :)

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Just wondering, does anyone use this type of training while off cycle and if so, how is recovery and results? I'm scared of going towards failure from all my readings of waterbury etc., but it seems like an interesting way to train.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
yes i used if for 4-5 months while off .. the results obviously weren't as great but i never had a problem with recovery ..did basically the same thing and took a week break every 8 weeks ... my favorite way to train regardless

ktw

Awards
  • Established
So in other words there were results while off, just slowed due to the absence of AAS? As you know I've been trying to create my own routine for some time and I tried the high frequency this week but it absolutely burned me out so this is on my list of options.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
exactly and the results off were the best results i had while off as compared to other training routines .. of course diet plays a very large role in that

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 0
delsolrob Workout Logs 24
Bulking 50
Workout Logs 234
Beelzebub General Chat 44