Poobah On the Road to 405 with John Pinder. - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Poobah On the Road to 405 with John Pinder.

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
  1. Board Supporter

Friday - Bands kick your chest's arse day.

Band lockouts from about 5-6" off chest

Dbld blue + 135 x 3
    Dbld blue + 135 x 3 - http://media.putfile.com/Band-lockout-Blue--135-x-3
    Dbld blue + 145 x 3
    Dbld blue + 145 x 3 (the last one took eons to extend.. Brutality.)

Looking back I thought I used greens on my first and only and prematurely ended band day.. but I didn't it was the blues. Set up was easy this time, I just tucked the bands under the bottom of the power rack... then I walked over and got the biggest set of dbs I could find, bent over picked them up and anchored the cage down. (I thought the gyms biggest were 120's, but I later realized I just bent down and picked up 2 145's and took a walk with them, I also used the 120's just to make sure the cage wouldn't go anywhere.) This was freaking hard.. harder then I expected... the bands were stretched more then last time, cause they were pinned to the floor and not to a few db's.. but still.. wow.

The last set, was just nuts.. that last rep took what seemed like forever... but I just kept squeezing and squeezing till I was up.

Lockouts Top 4" stroke (well close to 4")

365 x 3
    385 x 3 http://media.putfile.com/Lockouts-Top-4---385-x--3
    385 x 2 http://media.putfile.com/Lockouts-Top-4---385-x--3
    365 x 3

Don't know how I feel about these.. I thought some how I would have more.... Makes it hard to image how I'll ever get to bench 405, when I can barely move 385 4"... I know it's all part of the process though, and I swear those band lockouts are evil in terms of killing a muscle in rather short order.

First set, I felt I wasn't getting enough of a stroke.. so I put some small steel 5 pound plates under each leg. Still wasn't enough stroke, so I put in some thick rubber 35 pounders under the legs... I'm fairly close, but I'll let john be the judge.

Rotator

Sitting knee on bench, elbow on knee rotation from 12:00 to 9:00.

20 x 12 each arm

Standing arms out to side, Rotation from 12:00 to 6:00

15 x 12 each arm

Shoulder stretchs

Blue band x 25

Grip work..

Gripper 200lb x 4 sets

I wanted to do plate pinches, but the gym didn't have 25 pound plates.. and 10's were to easy... and 35's are way to hard. So I just used the grippers. didnt' bother counting, just held it each time till I couldn't damn well do it anymore.

Conclusion..

Not sure what to think.. Whatever I did today it was not easy... Someone that hasn't seen lockouts before might wonder what the hell is this guy doing moving the bar about a measily 4".. well it was no joke.

Sorry I didn't get 3 on that third set.. for the life of me I could not move it off the pins... I even reset and tried again.. but there was nothing left.

2. Board Supporter

Monday - Squat day

Squats (ass to grass, or as low as my fat ass will take me)

220 x 20

Hmmmmmmm, I got them all without any assistance... By 7 I was thinking, by jebus what have I goten into.. by 9 I thought how the hell am I going to pull this off. By 12 I was a desperate man... 17 I made a load ass groan/growl, 18 was simply a *****.. but oddly enough with a bit of a rest pause, 19 and 20 were pretty easy?

How much should I do next week Master John Pinder.

GHR

Alright this is bv far the oldest and rattest peice of equipment in the gym.. no foot plates, no adjustments just plain old rails and cheap beat up padding. I tried to get into potion for ghr... but the distance between where the knees go and the ankles go is almost to far (it's made primarily for reverse hypers) and my knees were sliding (to damn sweaty) everywhere and threatening to fall right off the plateform. I was not for the life of me comfortable even attempting one rep, and on top of that I was unable to find someone to spot me.. So I opted for reverse hypers instead.

Reverse Hypers

bw x 20
    bw x 18

I was able to go further then before without rest pauses.. I'm fairly certain this perticular peice of equipment is harder aswell.. as you fold straight down, verses 45 degree reverse hypers. I could be wrong.. but at 18 I couldn't get up.

Welcome the back pump.. cripes I tend to get a good one.. I'm the only ****er around that seems to be cripped after doing **** like this. I need to loose upper body weight.

Abductor

150 x 25

Similar machine (new gym vs. old gym) with similar results, I didn't really need to rest pause so I'll try 160 next week.

Adductor

140 x 10 + 170 x 15

Now for whatever reason, this machine is either easier then the YMCA's version, or I was able to handle 30 pounds more? Probably a combinatoin of both.

Abs

bw x 20
    bw x 16 (Failure)

Alright I decided on a peice of equipment to do these.. it's plate loaded so eventually when I loose excess upper body weight, the sky will be the limit with this. My abs are actually quite strong, but I swear I carry almost all my excess weight on my upper body and on top of that i have short legs and a long torso.

Smith Standing Calf Raise

275 x 20
    260 x 18

I'm fairly certain this smith machine bar and apperatus is a good 10 pounds heavier then the ymca's... Cause it was freaking difficult, and it was everything I could do to just match last weeks numbers. I like the fact that they have mirrors in front of this smith.. lets me watch my feet.

Conclusion...

Another good day.
  3. Board Supporter

Tuesday - Chest, shoulder and grip

Paused Bench

300 x 3
    300 x 2.75
    300 x 3

I got another good spotter today.. understood not to touch the bar unless I needed it.. and damn did I need him in that 3rd rep of the second set. Basically I think I brought the bar to far back towards my head before I had suffiecient hieght... My right hand lost it, and the bar was going to come down hard on my head.. I think I probably would of caught the second safety pin, but I'm glad my spotter was there to save me. It's also a good lesson to always use collars, cause I came inches away from loosing the weights off the right hand side, which would of created an even more embaressing scene.

Whatever I did wrong in that second set, I corrected it in the third and got all 3 sets under my own steam, although lock out was ***** on that third set.

I'll start at 305 next week.

Paused Flat DB (hammer grip)

95 x 8
    100 x 8 last one needed some help.

Complete strange appeared out of no where behind me to spot me without me even asking.. (strange but welcomed). I got the first 6 completely on my own, and I think 7th, although he did have his hands on me at that point.. I probably needed some help on 8.

next biggest dbs is 120's... then 145's and that's it.. so I'll have to make due?

Front Raises

blue band, both hands 2 x 10

Side Raises

Red, one hand 2 x 10

Left arm continues to have issues with these motion... The first set is really difficult, and it just hurts some where in my delt.. I don't know if it's muscle or tendon related... the second set is usually alot easier. My right arm is doign significantly better but I don't want to race ahead of my left arm... any advice?

Pull-a-Parts

red choked up 2 x 20

I really like these. And I've been feeling these and face pulls more then anything else.. The rest of me never gets very sore anymore.. (I thank bcaa's... but some would disagree and thats fine. )

BB Static Holds

325 x 1
    335 x 3

Going well.. will increase weight every week I imagine... But doing these in front of the mirror rocks.. My arms looked jacked for real..

Conclusion:

Happy, but a little peeved about that second set where I almost lost my head.

Intersting thing happened though... The manager was working out today, and we got to chatting a bit.. and later in the locker room, he actually asked me if I done any shows (as in bodybuilding shows). I'm surprised I didn't laugh... It's kewl though, cause he is actually dieting down right now for a june comptition, and we were standing in our underwear so he could see pretty much all of me. he said well you certainly have the mass.. I was mildedly flattered, and i explained the history of poobah.. and that at this point bb isn't on my horison, but powerlifting might be another story.. but hey you never know what the future might bring..
    •   

4. Board Supporter

Thursday - Deads (MuahahahahAAHAH)

Deads (conventional)

315 x 5 warm up with straps
    425 x 5 (Chalk only)
    http://media.putfile.com/Deads-425-x-5
    455 x 5 (Chalk only) http://media.putfile.com/Deads--455-x-5

I've been feeling really big accross my back lately.. and I really wanted to test myself.. Only thing was John told me to 425 and I got **** last time I jumped up to 455 and only completed 2.5 reps. So I did the 425 for 5.. and then the thinking began.. do I do 455 and use straps? Do I do 425 again? Do I do 435? Finally I decided, **** IT, And I did 455 with no straps... Yea baby.

And as for my grip? It was not even a concern, I had more then enough grip to rep more if my back could do it. Honestly I'm really looking forward to a mx attempt in the future.

Zerker's

275 x 7 http://media.putfile.com/Zerkers-275-x-7
    225 x 10 http://media.putfile.com/Zerkers-225-x-10

Alright, I lowered that bar significantly and if that ain't P or SubP I don't know what is? (is it? lol). The success of the previous set might of went to my head though. I just tried more then I was capable for 10 reps at that hieght. I tried really hard though. Since I didn't hit my 1 x 10 that was asked for I dropped the weight and tried again. As you can tell I handled 225 with fairly good posture right until the last few reps.

I consider this a great success.. and finally I'm low enough.. (is it? lol). perhaps now I need to work on keeping my arse down?

P.s. I got 7 reps on that first set, but only 6 made the video before the clock ran out.

Pullthroughs

75 x 20
    90 x 20

The first set I attempted while my back was still pumped pretty bad... and it was difficult to compete the set because of that. I ended up sitting down and letting things kewl off, before trying again. 90 x 20 was much easier then the first set was.. So depending on how my back feels I'll probably raise it up some more.

Seated rows

220 x 10
    220 x 8

Not much to say.. it was a bit difficult to keep my back straight during these pulls cause of the tension in my lower back.. but no big deal, and I improved nicely.

Face Pulls

165 x 10
    165 x 10

Second set was tough, but damn I like these.. I was actually feeling my lats really working.. and I rarely ever feel my lats working.

Abs

bw x 20
    bw x 20

Completed my reps this time at least..

Standing Ez Bar Curls

90 x 8
    110 x 5

Ugh... My arms might be large, but these numbers aren't that impressive.. lol. OH well, gota start somewhere.. And I smashed all my other numbers to smithereens.

Cardio

10 minutes bike
    5 minutes Eliptical

It's a start.. I'll do 20 minutes next time.

Conclusion..

I wrecked all my numbers today. Vengence, don't look now, but I'm coming for your dead.
  5. Board Supporter

Friday - Chest

Band Lockouts (approximately 6" off chest)

2 #3 (blue) dbld x 5 (warm up)
    145 + 2 #3 (blue) dbld x 3
    155 + 2 #3 (blue) dbld x 3
    165 + 2 #3 (blue) dbld x 3
    175 + 2 #3 (blue) dbld x 3

Huge improvement from last week, considering in the last set of last week I had an epic squeeze getting that last rep up at 145 + the bands. Interestingly I found that the warm up was a real freaking panic for the stabilizers compared to when you load on the plates.. the plates almost help stablize things somehow.

Lockouts (4" short of lockout and up)

385 x 2
    375 x 2
    365 x 3
    365 x 3

Sorry boss, I thought for sure I'd be able to hit 3 in the first 2 sets, considering how well I did previously... but I just couldn't.. and I tried really hard.. Then In the third set, I tried something a bit different, and I flared my elbows out a bit more then I was previously, and it felt alot better, and seemed i had alot more power that way, the 365 x 3 was very easy.

Not sure if this helps, but on the ones that failed it seemed to me that something in my shoulders was tiring out which didn't allow me to get my pecs to fire right? rear delts maybe? Does that make sense at all?

External Rotator on Knee 9-12 oclock

15 x 20 r
    15 x 20 l

Propped External Rotator 6-12 oclock

15 x 20 r
    15 x 20 l

Shoulder stretches

#3 (blue) band x 25

These are interesting, I'm trying to choke up more, and sometimes I'd hold it in the back and concentrate on relaxing and letting my arms come a bit closer together..

Grip work with 200lb grippers

4 sets each hand

I hate these almost as much as static holds..

Cardio (Treadmill)

30 minutes

2.5 was to slow, I just walked at 3.0 miles and maintained a heart rate of 120. is this good enough John or should I get my heart going a bit more?

Conclusion:

Over all I'm happy with a large improvement on band lockouts. I did more reps on rotators, got my 30 minutes of cardio.. and I really think these stretches and rotator works are helping alot.. My shoulders felt really good going into today, and they steel feel fine.. even with the insane push trying to get those 3rd reps.. Normally that sort of stuff hurts me in some way. Hope I'm not in to much ****.

Also.. the manager of the gym is kewl.. the guy I was talking too that asked me if I ever competed.. is the main dude. And today we chatted a bit, and I asked him about some better flooring so I can drop the deads without worry.. (there are some large holes under the ****ty matting they have now from weights dropping.. and braking the tile underneath.) He Immediately said he's heading to Toronto this weekend to buy some equipment, and he'll look for a deadlift matt of somesort for me.. in the mean time feel free to do what ever you need to do.

Later, he grabbed the treadmill beside me, and I asked him also to consider a ghr with a plate mounted reverse hyper extension.. and I explained why I wanted one.. He said he'd look into it and I believe he will, cause he's serious about lifting.. but If I thought about I would of probably offered him some decent cash that he could pocket if he did buy one wth gym money.. but he left before I thought of it. If he doesnt get one, I'll definately try offer.

peace.
  6. Board Supporter

I was reading my old journal from the beginning trying to find where I posted my diet.. along the way I noticed some fairly kewl things.

On Feb 5th 2006, I benched 300 pounds for 1 rep for the first time. Now I bench 3 x 3 for 300 pounds with full 2 second paused at the bottom, And I plan to move up to 305 next time.

On March 5th 2006, I posted I weighed 340 pounds.. and this morning, I weighed 320 pounds.. A loss of 20 pounds... So It appears I'm moving in the right direction afterall.

Mr. Pinder this diet still pretty much applies to workout days... For non workout days. None-workout days are similar, but you'd remove the dwo and pwo drinks, and cut about 70% carbs in the evening meal. I may also cut carbs back a bit in my 3something in the afteroon meal.

7. Board Supporter

I'm totally pissed.. I just lost this entire post. I don't mind writing posts, but I hate writing them twice.

Monday - squats

Squats

245 x 20

I did it completely on my own and without assistance.. sure I had to gasp for breath alot, and many times I thought I just wouldn't be able to get up again, but time and time again, I just started raising. it's a good feeling.

Hyper Ext.

bw x 20
    bw x 20

Only 1 rest pause around rep 17 on both sets... I was much stronger on these, and I was a crippled mess for a good 15-20 minutes. I came '' close to just lying on ground and praying.

I'll need to add some cables soon..

Abductor

160 x 25

Again no rest pause.. hard it was but no harder then last week.. You just gota love a virgin muscles progression early on.

Adductor

170 x 25

I should of did more, these was easy.. me bad.

Abs

bw+10 x 20
    bw+10 x 20

Slowly but surely curly.

Standing Calve Raises

275 x 20
    275 x 19

Didnt drop down this time.. but damn did set 2 hurt like hell. I was totally fried on attempt at 20 in the second set, and couldn't budge myself above parellel.

Cardio

Treadmill x 20 minutes (3.0mph)

Cardio I cut short simply cause my calves were just to damn pissy.. I was going to cut it short at 10 minutes.. but I persevered for another 10. I probably could of kept going, but **** it.. I just didn't want to be there anymore.

Conclusion

Improvements all around.
  8. Board Supporter

Tuesday - Chest, shoulder & Grip

I'm a very happy with tonights workout.

Paused BB Bench

305 x 3
    305 x 3 http://media.putfile.com/Paused-Bench-305-x-3
    310 x 3 http://media.putfile.com/Paused-Bench-310-x-3

Things evidently came together tonight. Last time out, I was shaking under the bar, almost dropped it on my head partly due to a strain in my left shoulder from my first experience with upper 4" lockouts.. and had to fight like hell to keep it under control. Tonight I was 100% healthy, I had complete control from top to bottom.. absolutely painless, and very powerful through the entire motion. I had to add another 5 in the last set, and it was still easy. 3 plates a side next week. Not even winded, could of done more reps too probably... I love days like this.

I will say reviewing the footage, I should slow my 2 count a bit.

Paused DB bench

100 x 8
    100 x 6.5

Got the first set completely under my own power... Second set, I failed about half way up.. Should of asked for a spot... But didn't.

Front Raise

Blue band, both hands at once, 2 x 10

People were curious today, and tried a set.

Side Raise

Red band, one hand at a time, 2 x 10

Still pain in my left arm.... completeing the first set is damn difficult, but the second set is rather smooth.. I wonder if this is tendon related? It's a pain in the arse anyway.

Pull-a-parts

red band, 2 x 20

choking up a bit more... rest pause on 17.

Cardio

30 minutes on the treadmill.

Conclusion..

Very happy with the performance
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Awesome...JP's got you moving right along. Good log.
  10. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    Awesome...JP's got you moving right along. Good log.
    He is isn't he... God love him.

405 ain't that far off.. he said this morning.. whoo hoo.
  11. Board Supporter

Thursday - Back, abs

Forgot my camera today.

Rack Pulls (well below knee's)

315 x 5
    405 x 5 chalk only
    465 x 5 chalk only

I dropped the pins another 3" this week. Unsure how much that would effect me I started at the same weight as last week. 405 x 5 was definately much easier to start from the lower position. Decided to go for 465 x 5 and it was close, reps 3-5 were slow as hell, and took everything I had.

I could feel my back, definately not quite healthy, probably would of been easier if it were. I didn't make it any worse though, so that's good.

Zerker Squats

260 x 9.5

Sorry, I damn near got 10.. hope that's close enough... I blew my brains out trying to get them all... and for the effort, I walked (Should say stumbled) away with the worst case of rubber legs I ever had. If it weren't for the bench 5 feet away, I would of probably been sprawled out on the mat.. lol

Pull throughs

105 x 20
    120 x 20

I got more, but I wish I brought my camera, so I could check my form.

Seated Rows

220 x 10
    220 x 8

Not much improvement here today.

Face Pulls

175 x 10
    180 x 9.75

Getting tougher, Could quite sqeeze that last one.

Abs

bw + 20 x 20
    bw + 20 x 14

I'll have to check my bp, seems to be rising... been getting a good headache the last few days.

Biceps

I said screw it.. mostly cause all I wanted to do is rush home and sleep.

Cardio

Must sleep.

Conclusion:

Good workout considering I was totally burned out, just 4-5 hours of sleep the last 3 nights. Plus I've been stressed out lately. Finally got 7.5 hours of solid sleep last night.. .But I could certainly use some more. I've been getting pretty cranky.
  12. Advanced Member

Nice work Poobah, you are making really good progress!! How long are you sticking with the 20 rep squats?
  13. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Dawg
    Nice work Poobah, you are making really good progress!! How long are you sticking with the 20 rep squats?
    That's John's call, but I think 2-3 weeks more max.. then we'll be dropping down to some multiple sets of heavier pause or low box squats.. can't say for sure yet though.

ANd thanks.. good to hear from ya.

I'm a bit buzzed, cause I just found out I'll probably going for a 405 pound bench in just 2 weeks. That's crazy ****... considering I got 300 for the first time like 2 months ago. lol
  14. Board Supporter

Friday - Chest

180 + 2 #3 (blue) dbld x 3
    185 + 2 #3 (blue) dbld x 2

I took a vid of the second set, but I don't got my cable to download it.. . I'm telling you though, these things take it out of ya. Benching 310 x 3 with a pause at the bottom is easy compared to these basterds.

I tried adding 135 + 2 #3's and 2 #2's.. but I couldn't quite get lift off. John, I might be able to do it if I drop the iron down to 90.. would that be alright.

375 x 3
    380 x 3
    385 x 2
    375 x 6

Don't ask me, I don't know why. I struggled with 375 in the first set, I struggled with 380, I couldn't quite get 385. Then I stepped back down to 375, and it was really easy, so I just pumped off a few more till failure. Is that a bad thing?

15 x 20 r
    15 x 20 l

I think I'll up the weight and work a bit lower rep range next time out.

15 x 20 r
    15 x 20 l

Shoulder stretches

#3 (blue) band x 25

Getting better. :P

4 sets each hand

I put some chalk on my hands this time, really helped.. My right hand is way ahead of my left though. I can grip the 200 for solid 30 seconds on the first set, and only about 17-20 on the left.

Cardio (Treadmill)

30 minutes

Heart rate, is coming down... I'll have to increase the speed a bit.

Conclusion:

All in all looked good to me.
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  223 lbs.

I just wanted to chime in with the other fellas here and say your log is awesome! I just read the whole thing through from start to current, and I'm proud of you man. Please continue to post with your stories, videos and personality as it really helps motivate me to tear it up in the gym
  16. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BigCasino
    I just wanted to chime in with the other fellas here and say your log is awesome! I just read the whole thing through from start to current, and I'm proud of you man. Please continue to post with your stories, videos and personality as it really helps motivate me to tear it up in the gym
    Much appreciated amigo. I'm doing what I set out to do.. Namely.. LISTEN TO JOHN PINDER. And who would of thought it, It actually works.

So if anyone out there is very serious about wanting to get stronger... I can't express how important it is that you learn from someone that lives the life, and trains with the very best in the world.. cause at the end of the day, it will be far better then what you could of done on your own. I'm living proof of that...

And the funny thing is, in this case it's not actually harder work. I'm coming off a 6 day split where I crusified myself with every body part twice a week including squats... working high/low alternating rep schemes.. and while I made great gains, I had zero life, and I also started to get sick quite often... (over training I think.)

John's workouts take a bit a time, but only because most of the time I'm lifting so heavy, I need 5 minutes between every set.. or 10 minutes for my back to kewl off, after zerkers, or hypers, or deads. But it's worth it. lol

Alright I'm rambling now...

Did want to mention though, that I'm nearing the completetion of week 3 of perfect dieting... cheat day every sunday eat till I puke, is coming up tomorrrow.

Sundays are nuts.. but it's part of John's orders.. and I can't let him down. Bring on the mounds of food, I shall conquer.

peace.
  17. Board Supporter

Monday - Legs

Squats

265 x 20 (could be 17 lol)

I got a spot for a change, and I suspect I'm short about 3 reps... I specifically asked if he could count the reps (thinking that I'll just focus on going up and down.. nothing else). I got to what I thought was 9, and asked "how many reps?", he said "this next one will be 12". So who knows for sure, but I think I came up short.

As for the reps themselves.. having a spot, really helped me not gm anything.. as soon as his hands would touch my rib cage, I'd remember to sit back, and keep my back upright which made things much more difficult. Having a spot made me rush a bit though, and my rest pauses were very short at best. The last few reps, I needed a bit of help, and like I say I really don't think I got more then 17 reps.

Hypers

bw x 20 x 2

No rest pauses this time in either set... John is it okay if I add a red band? Even if I can only get 10 reps per set? How should I proceed?

Abductors

170 x 25

No rest pauses, but I was taking a slow paced in breath before each rep.

Adductors

190 x 25

still way to easy.. these things were slamming together right up till the end.. and the machine is maxed. I can add some plates though. But that won't last long.

Abs

bw x 20
    bw x 20

It was a battle in the second set.. but I did it.

Seated Calves (45 degree Press)

585 x 20
    635 x 20

Decided to mix things up and do seated style.. weight was about right for 20 reps... doubt I could of got 21 in that second set.

Cardio

21 minutes treadmill

Yea, My calves were pissing me off, and I quit before 30 minutes.

Conclusion...

The squat performance bugs me, but I improved well everywhere else and probably even with squats. I'm just being to picky with myself.

After the workout, I began to sweat and that I'm about to puke feeling, i got to my girlfriend headed immediately to the bathroom, and sat on the thrown.. but it was no use... a short time after that, I blew. Something was buggering me up cause I had quite a bit of chunks of undigested food, swimming in whey and gatoraid. I felt immediately fine after that though, and went right down stairs and ate my 6" wholewheat sub with double chicken s trips.. and had an excellent sleep.
    Last edited by Poobah; 05-02-2006 at 09:35 AM.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  223 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Poobah

Conclusion...

The squat performance bugs me, but I improved well everywhere else and probably even with squats. I'm just being to picky with myself.
    I think you had a real solid performance man! On the 24th you had:

245 x 20

I did it completely on my own and without assistance.. sure I had to gasp for breath alot, and many times I thought I just wouldn't be able to get up again, but time and time again, I just started raising. it's a good feeling.
    So you increased your 20 rep squat weight by 20lbs from the last time. Keep making boosts like that regularly and it will add up FAST. Also, I don't know how long you have been doing 20 rep squats, but I have noticed they are deffinately an endurance thing. I know when I first started implementing then I had to start with a lower weight than anticipated, but once my body got acustomed to the intensity of 20 reps, I became a steamroller, and just barreled my through

That sucks about the puking though. I have to say I am impressed you were able to eat the sandwich after. Usually, even if I feel better after tossing cookies my appetite is long gone for hours.
  19. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BigCasino
    I think you had a real solid performance man! On the 24th you had:

So you increased your 20 rep squat weight by 20lbs from the last time. Keep making boosts like that regularly and it will add up FAST. Also, I don't know how long you have been doing 20 rep squats, but I have noticed they are deffinately an endurance thing. I know when I first started implementing then I had to start with a lower weight than anticipated, but once my body got acustomed to the intensity of 20 reps, I became a steamroller, and just barreled my through

That sucks about the puking though. I have to say I am impressed you were able to eat the sandwich after. Usually, even if I feel better after tossing cookies my appetite is long gone for hours.

Appreciate the sentiments.. I know I've been doing well, It's just that when John wants 20 squats,, HE WANTS 20 SQUATS.. lol

ohwell, I have yet to get my arse chewed on this one.. perhaps he'll take it easy on me... then again...

And as for the puke and eat.. I had no choice, I was tired and couldn't very well go to bed on an empty stomach on squat day no less. I did what I had to do.

Found out later today that, 2 aunts and a friend of my GF were all puking last night, so I figure I got off pretty good only feeling sick for about an hour, with one quick but intense barf-o-ramma.
  20. Board Supporter

as i'm sure he's told you many times, there are 20 for a reason
  21. Board Supporter

Tuesday - Chest, shoulders, grip.

Paused BB Bench

315 x 3
    315 x 3
    315 x 3

I didn't have it today, like I had last tuesday. Weight felt much heavier, and it was a struggle. I did better in the second set then the first (a bit smoother, stronger).. but I rushed some pauses, especially in the third set, as I was getting gassed quickly.

I wonder if I should change up my diet just a bit... last tuesday, I cut some carbs from the meal before my before workout meal, and added the carbs I cut to my Before workout meal.. raising the preworkout meal carbs to about 80-90 carbs. Maybe I should do that from now on?

Or maybe my bout with the flu yesterday took a bit out of me.. or maybe I just didn't have it.. or maybe I should stop bithcing and be happy I moved up 5 pounds again, and completed all my reps.

note: In the second and third set I was experience a nagging pain, in my left arm as I lowered the weight.

Paused DB Bench

100 x 8
    100 x 8 (Very slight help on 8)

Definite improvement here... Next week I should be able to do 2 sets unassisted. IF I do, would it be okay to try 120's next time around on the first set at least and just see how I do? Might be fun?

Front Raises

Blues - both hands - 10 x 2

Side Raises

Reds - One hand - 10 x 2

Left arm didn't hurt to much today... bout time that seems to feel better.

Pull-a-parts

Reds - 20 x 2

No rest pauses today...

BB static Holds

355 x 4

I'm having a problem with my left hand when I grip... seems the skin where the calus's are always wants to fold over and pinch.. which is not fun. My right hand don't do that... so I've been ending up gripping more with my fingers at times and less with my palm.

Cardio

No time today... to much to do..

Conclusion..

I don't know, A bit disappointed that 315 was so hard, when everything seemed so easy the week before.. but I did better, and that's really all I can ask.
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Don't beat yourself up. Some days you have it and some you don't. Too many life variables including your mood to up and think about switching things around because of a bad day. After a few sessions you will have some feedback to see what the problem may be.
  23. ktw
    Advanced Member

Ey about the meal thing, I tried what you referred to, that is making my preworkout meal bigger, and have kept doing it since, i do notice a difference during workout, but mainly in the middle and last sets when i usually have nothing left. I like following Berardi's idea of eating most of your carbs around breakfast, pre, during, and pwo, when theyre the most useful.
  24. Board Supporter

Thanks gentlemen... Sometimes I set my expectations to high, when I walked into the gym yesterday I expected 315 to be easy, and planned to hit 320. but I just didn't feel the same as I did the week prior.

I just wish I knew how come i felt so strong and full of endurance last week, and not this week.. hmmm.
  25. ktw
    Advanced Member

If you have ever seen my log, I had the same problem the other day, just move on, more good days will come. **** a 5lb move is not bad at all, I'm struggling benching 200 over 5 times, so be thankful you can put up the numbers you do.
  26. ktw
    Advanced Member

Oh and about the meal thing, Berardi advices a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein around workout, so 80 to 90 is about right if you take in 50 grams and want to try that method. It's worked decently for me so far.
  27. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by ktw
    If you have ever seen my log, I had the same problem the other day, just move on, more good days will come. **** a 5lb move is not bad at all, I'm struggling benching 200 over 5 times, so be thankful you can put up the numbers you do.
    I have.. I posted in it the other day in regards to your bad day.. you dolt.

Thanks for the words though.. I need to realize i ain't going to jump up 10 pounds every week.
  28. ktw
    Advanced Member

My bad, thanks for posting
  29. Board Supporter

My bad, thanks for posting
    hehe.. np. sorry for calling you a dolt.
  30. ktw
    Advanced Member

it's all good. my brainpower is depleted from studying for finals all week, I added up 8 and 8 today and got 20
  31. Board Supporter

dont eat too much, you'll blow chunks
  32. Board Supporter

Thursday - DEAD DAY!!!

Dead lifts

485 x 5 - http://media.putfile.com/Dead-Lift-485-x-5
    475 x 5

Alright I didn't quite lock out the 5th rep, in either of these sets.. but it was real close and I tried real hard.... So I'm calling it 5 reps. Either way it's a large improvement over last week. (425 x 5, 465 x 5)

I find starting the first rep I tend to get a bit more on my toes, and generally the rest of the set I'm much better.. I also kept my arms fairly straight this time. And From the knees down I let the weight down fast.. and it was making hella noise.

Oh yea, grip is still a piece of cake.

Zerker Squats

265 x 10 - http://media.putfile.com/Zerker-Squats-265-x-10

I ****ed up my setup enough that my vid timer ran out before I finished.. But I did get all 10 reps, and I kept my form pretty good right till the last one. Last time I only got 260 x 9.5.

Pull throughs

135 x 20 - http://media.putfile.com/Pull-Throughs-135-x-20
    150 x 20

Really moving on these things fast and furious.. I can still do more. Finally got a video to, so I'm all ears for improvement. After watching the first set on the camera, I actually did try to go deeper through with the 150 set.

Seated rows

220 x 11
    220 x 9

Improvement this time.. slow but steady enough.

Face Pulls

180 x 10
    180 x 10

A few inches short on the last rep of the last set.. Things are going to start to slow down on these soon I think.

Abs

Alright I'm trying to find something I like doing.. (not like easy).. I tried 4 differnet machines, including some standing cable crunches.. But I couldn't feel it in my abs.. I need to look some **** up, and find a good ab exercise that takes my body weight out of it and allows me to load plates or select weights.. And something that actually makes my abs burn.

Biceps

100 x 10
    110 x 6

I rushed these sets.. at this point it was already late.

Cardio

Just no time again.. sucks, but it's just the way it is.

Conclusion

I kicked ass today on deads..

Sentimental notes:

I'm now a fully fledged member of the gym... just about anybody comes and talks to me now. Apparently lots of people were speculating I was training for strong man events and such. And all the regular body builders, started joking around with the 485 pounds today, and couldn't believe I was moving that, some of them tried, none of them could move it more then 4". I had to laugh. wimps.
  33. ktw
    Advanced Member

Hey man, go on T nation and look up an article called "Core Training for smart folks", ill post the link later. It has nothing to do with bodyweight for most of the exercises, but it works very well, and works the stabilizing function of the abs. I dunno, I have had the same problem as you before, but doing the routine in that article along with leg raises has solved the problem. It looks like after our slumps we both picked up some good gains, I managed to add 55lbs to my squat 5rm yesterday and your deads skyrocketed too, AM must have us locked in some kind of good workout/bad workout pattern.
  34. Board Supporter

Hey man, go on T nation and look up an article called "Core Training for smart folks", ill post the link later. It has nothing to do with bodyweight for most of the exercises, but it works very well, and works the stabilizing function of the abs. I dunno, I have had the same problem as you before, but doing the routine in that article along with leg raises has solved the problem. It looks like after our slumps we both picked up some good gains, I managed to add 55lbs to my squat 5rm yesterday and your deads skyrocketed too, AM must have us locked in some kind of good workout/bad workout pattern.

thanks.. I'll check it out... as for the good workout/bad workout pattern.. What you talking about Willis? I got a 5 pound pr, I'm greedy.. I just wanted more.

35. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I'm new to deads but after watching your video, are you supposed to have a slight hunch or is the back supposed to stay ridged and straight through the motion? Also, at the top do you stop where you go or pull through and back stopping with the trap/upperback contracting?

Not sharpshooting your form but i'm new and the only guidence i've had is looking at still pictures for form so I don't know if i'm adding more movement to the DL than I need to.
  36. Board Supporter

no offense to poobah but go to www.irongame.com find someone with the same build as you and watch them deadlift.
  37. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    I'm new to deads but after watching your video, are you supposed to have a slight hunch or is the back supposed to stay ridged and straight through the motion? Also, at the top do you stop where you go or pull through and back stopping with the trap/upperback contracting?

Not sharpshooting your form but i'm new and the only guidence i've had is looking at still pictures for form so I don't know if i'm adding more movement to the DL than I need to.
    Good questions, I suggest you do what guyfromkop2 suggests.

As for me, I'm far from perfect.. but getting a bit better everytime outthere. As for the back, it definately doesnt' have to be perfectly straight, and frankly it's damn near impossible for someone with a long torso (like me). Although you do want to keep your head up and shouldes pointed for the sky as best as possible...

I think my third rep in that video was pretty spot on (well for me at this point). The first rep, I got out over my toes a bit to much, which forced me to use alot of back, and I wasn't able to captilize on leg drive...

I should also straighten up my lockout a bit more.. and when I'm pulling I should try to get a bit more on my heels, and almost pull back instead of up.

But everyones different.. right now my weekness is upper end lockout, and John's going to work on that with me.. off the floor I'm strong.
  38. Board Supporter

Good questions, I suggest you do what guyfromkop2 suggests.

As for me, I'm far from perfect.. but getting a bit better everytime outthere. As for the back, it definately doesnt' have to be perfectly straight, and frankly it's damn near impossible for someone with a long torso (like me). Although you do want to keep your head up and shouldes pointed for the sky as best as possible...

I think my third rep in that video was pretty spot on (well for me at this point). The first rep, I got out over my toes a bit to much, which forced me to use alot of back, and I wasn't able to captilize on leg drive...

I should also straighten up my lockout a bit more.. and when I'm pulling I should try to get a bit more on my heels, and almost pull back instead of up.

But everyones different.. right now my weekness is upper end lockout, and John's going to work on that with me.. off the floor I'm strong.
    actually your body has to be locked out, hips and knees have to be locked, basically stand up straight and that's how you have to be
  39. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Thanks, i've been adding deads and other lifts the last couple of months and the gym owner came over a couple of times throwing a couple of pointers my way but hell if I know if he's telling me good info or not

I do know my weight went down by a good bit when he told me I wasn't to drop the weight between reps :P
  40. Board Supporter

Friday - Chest

185 + 2 dbld blue's x 3
    185 + 2 dbld blue's x 3
    185 + 2 dbld blue's x 3
    190 + 2 dbld blue's x 3

Lots of work, but solid performance.. No overtraining in sight as of yet.

385 x 3
    395 x 2
    385 x 2.75
    380 x 3

Third set, I lost balance a bit and ended up coming down... couldn't budge it after that. Grrrr... Over all good improvement though.

Generally these keep surprising me at how quickly I loose stamina.. Still seems to be something in the shoulders that's giving it up first.

15 x 20 r
    15 x 20 l

I can keep a better pace.. but these were harder then I thought they would be today.

15 x 20 r
    15 x 20 l

Also a harder then I expected??

Shoulder stretches

#3 (blue) band x 25

4 sets each hand

Love hate.. love hate.. No just hate.

Cardio (Treadmill)

30 minutes

Got my ass to cardio only twice this week.. I should really try to get at least 3... Me bad.

Conclusion:

Good stuff... as I sit here, my chest has a nice dull ache to it.

Also my formily sore back really felt alot better once I got moving some weights around. I'm 100% better right now.

Peace.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Accelerating down the road to abs with MN Accelerant!
    By jalfrey in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
  2. What to eat while living out of a van on the road?
    By redrobe in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 07:27 PM
  3. Edwitt is on the Road to 240lb and a 500ln bench
    By edwitt in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 846
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 08:50 AM
  4. Replies: 314
    Last Post: 11-20-2010, 02:19 AM
  5. On The Road To Summer Leanness (HDrol++ Cutting Log)
    By OnTheRoadTo in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 03:38 PM