guyfromkop's log

Page 4 of 10 First ... 23456 ... Last

1. yup, hook grip is for masochists only. pussies like me need not apply.

2. tingle tingle goes the thumbs
    •   

3. Fri"smoke the backside"day 4/14/06

SLDL on JSP
    195 + #2band x 3
    215 + #2 x 2 x 3
    225 + #2 x 3

45 Hypers
    #3 band x 2 x 15

GHR
    bw x aint gonna happen

Standing Cable Abs
    110 x 2 x 20

Medium Grip Face Pulls
    140 x 20

Wide Grip Seated Cable Rows
    140 x 20

EzCurls
    85 x 6
    75 x 8

Reverse EzCurls
    65 x 2 x 8

Light Cardio
    30min

well definately spanked my backside today. i tried to double the #2s but it got to knee level and stopped dead in it's tracks. so just going to have to keep increasing weight and trying. also tried doing ghrs after i did the 45 hypers but my hamstrings told me otherwise. so next time i pull against bands either i'll do the ghrs before or not do them at all. i even waited till everything was done and went back and tried again, only got 3.

4. Saturday 4/15/06

Paused 3 Board
    275 x 2 x 5

Paused 4 Board
    295 x 5
    305 x 5
    135 + #3band dbld x 5
    155 + #3 dbld x 5

with all the talk about flat footed i figured i'd give it a go again. before i had my feet out, this time i tucked my feet just enough so my heels were a hair off the ground, so when i pushed with my legs my heels touched the ground, definately got more leg drive out of it. going to see how it goes on wed for bottom end day.

5. Monday4/17/06

Squats w/ belt and wraps
    345 x 2 x 5

Pause Squats raw no belt
    255 x 2 x 5

Kettlebell Swings
    inside legs 25 x 15
    outside legs 25 each hand x 15

Decline Abs
    35 x 2 x 7

Abductors
    #3 band x 25

Adductors
    #2 band x 25

Calf Raises
    170 x 2 x to failure

Sled Pullin
    215 + sled x 50 yards forward
    215 + sled x 50 yards backward

decent day today, hurt my arm/tricep when i was holding the bar on squats. dont know what's up with it. but the pain shoots down my arm.
    •   

6. I've had the same thing happen before, how narrow are you holding your hands on the bar? If I hold them too close or too far I get pain in my arms while squatting

7. they're all the way out by the collars, but i think it's when i force my elbows forward and grab onto the bar

8. Quote Originally Posted by guyfromkop2
    Monday4/17/06

Squats w/ belt and wraps
    345 x 2 x 5

Pause Squats raw no belt
    255 x 2 x 5

Kettlebell Swings
    inside legs 25 x 15
    outside legs 25 each hand x 15

Decline Abs
    35 x 2 x 7

Abductors
    #3 band x 25

Adductors
    #2 band x 25

Calf Raises
    170 x 2 x to failure

Sled Pullin
    215 + sled x 50 yards forward
    215 + sled x 50 yards backward

decent day today, hurt my arm/tricep when i was holding the bar on squats. dont know what's up with it. but the pain shoots down my arm.
    are you stretching at all?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    are you stretching at all?
    not my arms, any stretches you recommend?

10. well, the only one i use for tri's is the seated one-handed dumbbell behind the head thingy. pick a decent weight (50's for me) and let the weight pull your arm down stretching your tricep. for added stretch, you can push down the dumbbell with the back of your head. if you need pics for clarification, there's a few on intensemuscle.com (DC's site).

11. Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    well, the only one i use for tri's is the seated one-handed dumbbell behind the head thingy. pick a decent weight (50's for me) and let the weight pull your arm down stretching your tricep. for added stretch, you can push down the dumbbell with the back of your head. if you need pics for clarification, there's a few on intensemuscle.com (DC's site).
    gotcha, i knwo exactly what you're talking about

12. Well if it's from what you described, it should not be a tricep problem, but a shoulder one. If you're forcefully grabbing the bar and thrusting under it with your arms that wide, theyhave a very limited range of motion. If I were you I would do some external rotations very lightly or some raises or reverse flys that target the rear delt, very lightly just to warm up the joint a little bit. With your arm like that, that position is called the lock out in rock climbing and is used on holds where you absolutely must not let your shoulder, arm or upper body move, you're doing the same motion and throwing yourself under the bar at the same time, not good for sure.

13. after talking to the guy who trains me, and just paused squated 485 x 5 yesterday, i'm goign to just drape my arms over the bar, not hold on or push up, just have them there so the bar doesnt roll off my back

14. that's pretty much what I have always done. I don't have large traps but if you just wrap your arms right it should hold fairly well.

15. Wednesday 4/19/06

Paused 2 board, middle finger on rings
    265 x 3
    265 x 3
    275 x 3(helped on last rep)

Paused Floor Presses w/ Fat Bar, middle of palm on rings
    200 x 5
    210 x 5

Standing Militaries, middle of palm on rings
    105 x 2 x 8

Low Cable Fly Thingies
    30 x 25

Pull Aparts w/ Pause
    #4 Band x 2 x 20(ouch)

alright workout tonight, i kept forgetting to keep my air when i was benching, and i'm definately liking the new foot placement, much more leg drive. also i decided to do standing militaries instead of push presses(basically the same thing) when i keep my legs straight i keep my form a lot better.

16. Bench is still movin up.. Grats.

#4 pull-a-part x 20.. By jebus.. How do you do it?

Currently I'm using red (I think it's #2's), and I'm choking up on it alot.. so there is maybe 12" between my hands. I find by 20 I'm burning.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Poobah
    Bench is still movin up.. Grats.

#4 pull-a-part x 20.. By jebus.. How do you do it?

Currently I'm using red (I think it's #2's), and I'm choking up on it alot.. so there is maybe 12" between my hands. I find by 20 I'm burning.
    i only have a couple inches from my hands to the end of the bands, basically a comp grip width, so it's not a long ROM very short, but fries my rear delts. and i get to about 10-12 and have to do the rest rest/pause.

18. Just wondering, why do you do a lot of assistance work in the upper ranges. I know it builds lactic acid tolerance and muscular endurance, but wouldn't it aide to the lift more if you trained in the functiona hypertrophy range?

19. Quote Originally Posted by ktw
    Just wondering, why do you do a lot of assistance work in the upper ranges. I know it builds lactic acid tolerance and muscular endurance, but wouldn't it aide to the lift more if you trained in the functiona hypertrophy range?
    i'm goign to sound like a smart ass here, but i do it because it works no need to use big words, in fact most of the big dogs in powerlifting will answer you with the same answer as me, mostly bbers(no offense here) are the ones that use those terms.

i've read so many different logs it's crazy, i've read logs from the average joe to guys who squat over 1000, and one thing that remains constant with the big dogs is low reps(1-5) on the main lifts, and all assistance work in the high rep range(8 and up). in fact here's a guy's log who is probably one of the strongest guys in powerlifting today

conv deads/loose belt
    245x1
    425x1
    515x1
    615x1
    675x5

low cable rows
    425x8
    440x8
    440x8

icarian high pulldown/row(2 sec hold at bottom)
    155 each side x11
    155 each side x11
    155 each side x11

wide grip pulldowns behind held(strict)
    225x10
    210x12
    195x15

wide grip pulldowns to chest
    360x8

so as you can see, hyperwhatever or not, it works

20. Ya they're training in a range that is considered functional (8 to 12), above that is lactic acid and endurance training, that's why I asked. I understand the theory of using higher reps not on the main lifts, I just asked why someone would go into lactic acid and endurance training just because I don't really know how that could help powerlifting. I'm not trying to criticize, I just don't understand.

21. Quote Originally Posted by ktw
    Ya they're training in a range that is considered functional (8 to 12), above that is lactic acid and endurance training, that's why I asked. I understand the theory of using higher reps not on the main lifts, I just asked why someone would go into lactic acid and endurance training just because I don't really know how that could help powerlifting. I'm not trying to criticize, I just don't understand.
    oh i know you werent criticizing. and i'm doing higher reps because it helps strengthen my ligaments and tendons, plus i needed a well deserve deload, i was overtraining my back and dead way too much

22. Seems logical then. Hey have you ever pressed with your thumbs not around the bar? I never really tried this till the other day but it felt to me that it took a lot of the stress off the delts and I was able to press more than normal using it.

23. yea, but i plan on benching A LOT in the future, and i dont want 600+ above my chest and my thumbs not around it, just feel safer with me grabbing the bar,

24. It's just weird how I noticed a difference in how much I could up using that method.

25. Friday 4/21/06

Deadlifts
    345 x 2 x 5

GHRs
    2 x 5

45 Hypers
    #3 band x 2 x 15

Standing Cable Abs
    110 x 2 x 20

Medium Grip Face Pulls
    150 x 20

Wide Grip Seated Cable Rows
    150 x 20

EzBar Curls
    75 x 2 x 8

Hammer Curls
    25 x 8
    30 x 8

took it a little light today with my deads, all reps felt real strong, was a little taxing since i havent pulled for reps in 4 months.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. TX's cycle log.
    By txwakeskater in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-07-2003, 03:51 PM
  2. Scotty's T1 pro log
    By scotty2 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-15-2003, 03:03 PM
  3. Workout Log in Word Format
    By Matthew D in forum Training Forum