Shrugs & farmer walks (traps)

Beefeater71

Beefeater71

Awards
I'm wanting to build some trap (height, width) & forearm size & strength. Workout goes as:
Front barbell shrugs
Behind barbell shrugs
Dumbbell side shrugs
Farmer walks
All done in one session.
Will this benefit hitting this once or twice a week?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you doing deads weekly too? (I think my dead and traps are related)

For myself, and since a shrug (specifically) is a short ROM move, I could do them 2x per or after a dead session or after back work or even squats. I seem to get a good W/O using higher reps too ie: 15-20 say.
Even if you are hitting them once per week, if that is more focus than you have been giving them, they should respond with more growth than no direct training at all. As far as the length of them goes, that might be more determined by genetics, as some guys traps seem to extend farther out. EIther way they can be made larger and give a more goloidy gorilla look IMO.
I have also done, at the end of a set of low cable lat pulls or other lat work, finished the set with say 5 rearward lat shrugs, to further beat up my upper back. YMMV.

IMO same thing goes with forearm and or grip work 2-3 times per is probably plenty.

And of course, quality of a few sets of an exercise, will always trump (using Wendler's lingo) doing 3-5 different moves, with less intensity and or determination.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Any type of overhand row, especially from low cables, highly involve traps. Also work Face Pulls in after your shrugs.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Olympic Lifts followed by a few exercises mentioned above have done me wonders in the trap department.

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
Any type of overhand row, especially from low cables, highly involve traps. Also work Face Pulls in after your shrugs.
i keep forgetting about face pulls! definitely a good one for trap

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
i keep forgetting about face pulls! definitely a good one for trap
do you tend to lean back a little while doing these? is it best to stand up straight? just want to get best form down

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
do you tend to lean back a little while doing these? is it best to stand up straight? just want to get best form down
Once I started doing them from a low cable instead of directly in front my chest I started to notice better developement, and I could feel my traps working far more that way. Nothing crazy as far as how low the cable is, but I always do them sitting down so I'm closer to the low cable usually putting it about waist height.

Beefeater71

Beefeater71

Awards
I guess face pulls would be similar to upright rows. Would target the traps to some degree.
It can be taxing to the delts although.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess face pulls would be similar to upright rows. Would target the traps to some degree.
It can be taxing to the delts although.
In order to get true trap development your going to need SOME delt activation.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I forgot about suitcase rows. Those are a great trap exercise for high reps, heavy weight, or both if you really want to work them hard.

Beefeater71

Beefeater71

Awards
My delts are well developed, actually more so then traps. joints which tent to ache with upright rows.

Beefeater71

Beefeater71

Awards
By the way, Thanks for the tips, suitcase rows etc....