ThighGrl's journey to more muscle

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
So, here is my attempt to gain 17 lbs of muscle in 800 days, starting 02/01/2014 (yep, 11 days ago). These numbers come from a nifty goal setting feature of a popular bodybuilding website, where the only option that had me not loose lean body mass was 'bodybuilder'. I figured, it's better than totally tapping in the dark. I'm starting this log to keep myself on track, and so I have something to refer to when I want/need tips and advice on things.

For the last 6-ish years, I'v been spending about 9 months a year in the gym lifting weights, and have focused mainly on a bodybuilding-style weightlifting program (i.e. high weight, higher reps), so I'd like to think that I know a thing or two (definitely not more, though). Listening to SHR, though, recently convinced me to give the 5x5 style training a good try, so the plan is to do that for a year and build some strength, and then try a high volume program again. Or maybe, do a high volume program every 6 months for 2 months.

But, for this month, I want to get a routine going again and find my baseline, and then start tweaking things from there. Hopefully I'll be updating this log every 1-2 weeks. I don't expect things to change that often, though.

Current stats:
height: 5'9''
weight: 151 lbs
bodyfat: ~21%

Goals:
gain muscle
not stress out and overtrain
maybe drop some body fat eventually

Typical diet: ~ 90 g protein, ~1800 cal total
am: hemp protein powder with 8 oz bolthouse/naked juice, ~1/4 cup heavy cream in coffee
noon: 6-8 oz of turkey/chicken/fish + 2-3 servings veggies + 1/4 cup sauce or dressing
snack: 7oz ***e + 1.5 oz nuts + 1 apple
pm: 2 eggs + 1/4 egg white + 1/4 cup cheese + 3-4 oz potato, 1 beer
+ 200-400 cal elsewhere (e.g. liberal usage of olive oil/ bacon fat in cooking, more fruit, nuts)

+ BCAAs and CEE on workout days

Training:
day 1:
squat: 45lbs x7, 95 lbs, 95 lbs, 115 lbs, 115 lbs, 120 lbs each x5
bench press: 75 lbs, 85 lbs, 95 lbs, 95 lbs, 105 lbs each x5
chin ups: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2
day 2:
hip thrusts with barbell: 5 sets of 155 lbs x 5
calf raises on leg press: 5 sets of 340 lbs x 7
triceps extensions with dumbbell: 17.5 lbs, 17.5 lbs, 17.5 lbs each x 5, 20 lbs, 20 lbs each x3
day 3:
deadlift: 95 lbs x7, 145 lbs, 155 lbs, 165 lbs, 175 lbs, 190 lbs each x5
chin ups: 2, 3, 2, 2, 2
snatch (just arm movement): 20 lbs, 30 lbs, 40 lbs, 40 lbs each x5, 50 lbs x3

So here ya go :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Awsome! First....

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In! And great start!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lets see what ya got gal!

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Thanks for the support! Here's a first update, which is not really an update as much as saying that I haven't fallen off the wagon yet.

I missed one day last week (day #2). Strength is still increasing slowly, I'm guessing part of that is still getting used to the different training style. And I think I'm going to switch the half snatches with presses, feels like they're not really doing anything.

I'm also thinking about switching to just one day of strength style training, and doing a bodybuilding style training (I.e. 10-ish reps with high weight) the other two days next month. The more I read, the more it seems that the 5x5 program will not give me a lot of gains in terms of muscle mass.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Wow, not quite sure where the last three weeks went. Well, some of it was spent finding a new awesome job, and part (not as much as I'd like working out). I did change my workouts to 1 day 5x5 program, and 2 days doing the higher rep range. I did the 5x5 for 5 months total, and while it was fun, it doesn't seem the best way to gain pure muscle mass. From what I've been reading, it's all about the time under tension, and that is maximized with a high rep/ high weight lifting scheme.

And since I need to up my protein intake, I bought some CNP peptide protein powder and take 1.5 scoops after each workout.

So, here is my summarized log for the last three weeks:

Week 3:
Same as week 2

Week 4:
Mon: missed due to traveling
Wed: weighted hip thrusts 10 reps x 3
Lunges 10 x 3
Leg curls 10 x 3
Leg extensions 10 x 2, 8 x 1
Calf raises on leg press machine 10 x 3
Fri: arnold press 10 x 3
Lateral raises 10 x 3
Biceps curls 10 x 3
Push ups 10 x 3
Rowing machine 10 x 3

Week 5: same as week 4, including skipping Monday, because I was way too sore to workout. Reduced the weight a bit, so I don't have to skip next monday.

I realize now this looks really half hearted and like I'm not putting any real effort in to it. I'm gonna start updating on a weekly basis, to keep myself on track, and for better feedback later. Also working on progress pics ;) just wish my life wasn't so damn busy right now.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
And, my extreme accurate bodyfat scale tells me I'm now at 153.8 lbs and 21.8% bodyfat. Hoping that a bit of that weight gain is muscle.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Week 7
Monday workout:
Squats - 65 lbs x 7, 115 lbs x 5 x 4, 125 lbs x 4
Unassisted pullups: 5 x 3 reps
Barbell press: 55 lbs x5, 65 lbs x 5 x 4

Pre workout: 1 scoop CEE + 0.5 scoop BCAAs, 2 caps Xfactor
Post workout: 1.5 scoops CNP peptide pro

I decided to try taking Xfactor on workout days. I've read a lot about that lately, and want to see if it does anything for me. So far, I feel definitely a bit more sore.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice workouts, ThighGrl.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Week 7, Wednesday workout:
Hip thrusts: 145 lbs, 11x3
Lunges: 70 lbs, 10x3
Leg extensions: 95 lbs, 10x3
Lying leg curls: 75 lbs, 10x3
Seated machine calf raises: 160 lbs, 12x1, 180 lbs, 12x2

pre-workout: BCAAs and CEE, 2 caps ArA
post-workout: 1.5 scoop Peptide Protein

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Week 7, Friday workout:
Pushups: 10x3
Overhead rowing machine: 60 lbs, 10x1, 65 lbs, 10x2
Arnold press: 15 lbs, 12x3
Lateral raises: 15 lbs, 11x3
Bar curls: 40lbs, 10x3

same pre/post workout stuff

(edit: Week, not wednesday, lol)

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
I'm switching this week to evening workouts, instead of going fasted in the morning. I'm also going to start AnaBeta Elite on Tuesday, first 2 caps throughout the day, then 4 caps if everything stays fine.

Week 8, Monday workout:
Squat: 115 lbs, 5x3, 125 lbs, 5x2
Unassisted pullups: 4, 4, 3, 3, 2
Barbell press: 65 lbs, 5x5

Pre-workout: BCAAs, CEE, Ara, and AlCar
Post-workout: 1.5 scoops peptide protein (~35 g protein)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you used ABE before? I'm interested in the results for a woman. It's one of my favorite supplements.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
I have never used it before. I'm interested, too, to see if women respond to it differently. I'll be posting updates as I have them :)

Have you used ABE before? I'm interested in the results for a woman. It's one of my favorite supplements.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Week 8, Wednesday:
Feeling a bit stiff from the monday workout, so trying not to go too hard.
Lunges: 65 lbs, 10 reps, 11 reps, 11 reps
Hip thrusts: 145 lbs, 11 reps x 3
Leg extensions: 90 lbs, 10 reps x 3
Lying leg curls: 70 lbs, 10 reps x 3
Donkey calf raise machine: 120lbs, 12 reps, 135 lbs, 10 reps x 2

Pre- and post-workout as usual. Also taking 2x2 caps of Anabeta Elite now.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Week 8, Thursday:
Pushups: 10 reps x 3
Hammer overhead rows: 65 lbs, 12 reps, 70 lbs, 10 reps x 2
Arnold press: 17.5 lbs, 10 reps x 3
Overhead triceps extensions with bar: 30 lbs, 10 reps x 3
Lateral raises: 17.5 lbs, 10 reps x 3
Dumbbell curls: 17.5 lbs, 10 reps x 3

Pre- and post- workout and supps as yesterday.

Also, since I never stated that before, rest on these kinds of workouts is 30-40 sec between sets. On Monday workouts it's around 2 min.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Lastly, I've been taking ABE since Tuesday, and since Wednesday at the full dose. Don't really feel any different yet. Well, I'm feeling less sore, but that's probably due to the AlCar (I.e. the ArA made me more sore, and the AlCar brought it back to normal). And (tmi-warning), didn't get any cramps with my period today, which is unusual. Meaning, this may or may not be due to the ABE.

And I'm having slightly more allergy problems than last year. I'm kinda blaming that on the ArA, but it might just be coincidental, too.

Lastly, last weigh in put me at 154.8 lbs at 22.5% bodyfat.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Time for an update! Here are last week's workouts, i.e. week 9.

Monday:
resting about 90 - 120 sec between sets
Squats - 55 lbs: 7 reps, 115 lbs: 2 x 5 reps, 125 lbs: 3 x 5 reps
Pull ups - 4, 4, 3, 3, 3
Barbell shoulder press: 75 lbs: 5 x 5 reps

Wednesday (holy mega- leg pumps, batman!):
resting 30-35 sec between sets
Hip thrusts: 155 lbs: 3 x 11 reps
Lunges: 70 lbs: 12 reps, 75 lbs: 2 x 10 reps
Leg extensions: 100 lbs: 12 reps, 2 x 10 reps
Lying leg curls: 70 lbs: 12 reps, 2 x 10 reps
Calf raises on leg press machine: 270lbs: 12 reps, 2 x 11 reps

Thursday:
resting 30-45 sec between sets
Bench press: 75 lbs: 2 x 12 reps, 10 reps
Overhead Hammer rows: 35 lbs: 2 x 12 reps, 40 lbs: 12 reps (this was a different machine than I usually use)
Arnold press: 20 lbs: 3 x 10 reps
Dumbbell curls: 17.5 lbs: 2 x 11 reps, 10 reps
Lateral raises: 17.5 lbs: 10 reps, 15 lbs: 2 x 12 reps
(I really need to find a triceps isolation exercise for this day :( )

Overall, feels like this regime is working so far, at least for right now. My weight is up a few pounds since I started, some of that is definitely fat, but I think I look just a smidgen more muscular. Only time will tell, I suppose...

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
And here is week 10!

Monday:
resting 90-120 sec between sets
Squat: 55 lbs: 7 reps, 115 lbs: 2 x 5 reps, 125 lbs: 2 x 5 reps, 135 lbs: 5 reps
Pull ups: 5, 4, 4, 3, 3
Barbell shoulder press: 70 lbs: 10 reps, 65 lbs: 4 x 5 reps

looks like my strength is going up, yay!

Wednesday:
Lunges: 75 lbs: 3 x 12 reps
Hip thrusts: 55 lbs: 3 x 12 reps
Leg extensions: 100 lbs: 3 x 10 reps
Lying leg curls: 80 lbs: 12 reps, 2 x 10 reps
Calf raises on leg press machine: 275 lbs: 3 x 12 reps,

Looks like strength is up here as well. Only got medium pumps this time, not insane ones like last week.

If my awesome bodyfat scale is right and to be trusted, I gained about 2 lbs of lean body mass (and about 2.5 lbs fat) over these 10 weeks, which would be not too shabby. At least these numbers seem reasonable, so maybe my scale speaks the truth. Gawd, why is this so hard to gain muscle??

I've noticed that since I started taking ABE and AlCar, and since starting to work out right after work (i.e. not taking the ArA on an empty stomach anymore), I'm getting less sore than I did before. Maybe it's all coincidence, maybe it's not, but I hope the ArA (and ABE) is still working...

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Week 10, Thursday workout:
Overhead Hammer rows: 70 lbs: 10x3
Bench press: 75 lbs: 12x3
Arnold press: 20 lbs: 10x3
Lying across body triceps extensions: 12.5 lbs: 12, 10, 8
Lateral dumbbell raises: 15 lbs: 12x3
Dumbbell curls: 17.5 lbs: 12x3

Bumped up the ArA to 3 pills on workout days.

Scale this morning said 157.8 lbs at 22.0% bodyfat. Woot!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice workout TG, and congrats on the BF reduction!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What kind of body fat scale do you use?

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Thanks, RegisterJr!

I believe the brand is Taylor. It was a 'budget-conscious' one that I found at Ross.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey girl, read through your log and you're doing a great job! In to follow along on your journey! :)

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Sorry I haven't been posting in a while. I'm logging my workouts on my phone while in the gym, and sometimes I'm just too lazy to log them here again. Still going tbough! Week 11 was pretty much the same as week 10. This week I'm taking off from the gym, because of traveling.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No worries, all that matters is that you're motivated to lift.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
Hi folks, I'm back for a brief moment! Still going to the gym, following pretty much the same routine I've been posting, and I try to increase the weight slowly every few weeks. Still trying to be patient, too (I want ALL the muscle gainz, now).

I stopped taking the xFactor pills because it seemed that ArA is making my seasonal allergies worse. Looking forward to running it again in the winter, though, it felt like it actually helped. Also going to stop the ABE, since I've been taking it for about 2 months, and by itself it doesn't seem to have any noticeable effects. Save the rest of the bottle for the winter.

Started taking ZME at night for the zzz's, and it seems that I get slightly more restful sleep when taking it. Might start taking some stinging nettle root extract that I have lying around, not sure yet, though, if I should stack that with anything, or if it will do anything muscle-building wise for me.

Lastly, scale said this morning that I was 156 lbs at 23.5% bodyfat, which would mean that I pretty much just gained fat since starting this log :( hope that that's not true, but I guess it's really hard for women to measure muscle gains over a period of a few months only. 1 lbs of muscle gained could easily disappear in measurement errors. Only thing I know is I'm a bit stronger.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's great that you're steady at it and making gains in strength! The scale is a horrible horrible thing! They should all be destroyed! Lol...The bf reading on them can really be off so I wouldn't rely that too much! Just take the fact that your getting stronger as encouraging! Great job!!