8 months to 185

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
If y'all haven't seen my other threads, I've been contemplating doing a bulk/recomp, and I've finally made up my mind to dive in.

Basic outline:
- I will probably update my log every Saturday/Sunday
- I will include weight, core lifts weights, and weekly calorie intake level w/macros
- I will try to keep a log of what workouts I do each day, with reps/sets/weight/rest etc
- I will try to respond to questions and what not as soon as possible
- I will keep track of supplements, food timing, and anything else I deem important.

Finally, I'll put my starting info in today, in a separate post so that there's uniform formatting. Thank you for checking out my FIRST log and also my bulk/recomp, all input is appreciated!

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Alright, today is the first day, just kind of wrote an outline on paper of my plans and goals for the next 8 months. I want to get to 185, I want to minimize fat gain, I want to keep it relatively natural, and I want to get as strong as possible.

So, without further adieu, the first log entry!

Stats for 6-1-13:

Height: 5 foot 6 inches
Weight: 145 pounds (dry) 147-148 (hydrated)
Body Fat%: 6.4% (as of 5/29/13)

Bench 1RM: ???
Squat 1RM: ???
Deadlift 1RM: ???

Pictures as of 15 minutes ago (3:45 - 6/1/13)

Attachments

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Go for it bro
Out of sheer opinion, from the pictures, would you say I have decent genetics for getting pretty broad? For my height and frame, anyway?

titanelmo

titanelmo

Awards
Out of sheer opinion, from the pictures, would you say I have decent genetics for getting pretty broad? For my height and frame, anyway?
There is only one way to find out. Eat and train.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
If I eat about 2400/cal a day for 2 days, then 1600 the next day, would that be beneficial? In the sense of doing that on a regular cycle. 2 heavy, 1 light, 2 heavy, 1 light, etc. I would think it would keep me from gaining excess fat, especially if I eat heavy on my training days and light on my off days. Also because I'm doing a 20 hour fast with a 4 hour feed window.

I'll eat about 300-500cal about an 90 minutes before I train, then when I get home, eat the rest of my calories in about an hour. And repeat every training day. On rest days, I'll just eat 1600 in about 2 hours.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bulk or cut. Pick one. You're going to have some fat gain no matter how hard you try not to. IMO- if you want to get big, then that's the choice you have to make and live up to it. Dropping those cals so suddenly won't help at all. The body is growing outside of the gym so why are you going to starve it. The terms "bulk" and "eating less" don't go together for a reason. Look up intermittent fasting or carb cycling.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Bulk or cut. Pick one. You're going to have some fat gain no matter how hard you try not to. IMO- if you want to get big, then that's the choice you have to make and live up to it. Dropping those cals so suddenly won't help at all. The body is growing outside of the gym so why are you going to starve it. The terms "bulk" and "eating less" don't go together for a reason. Look up intermittent fasting or carb cycling.
So pretty much keep the 20 hour fast and 4 hour feed, but keep it at about 2400cal every day?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So pretty much keep the 20 hour fast and 4 hour feed, but keep it at about 2400cal every day?
I don't know. I just eat good and don't complicate things but thought is recommend the methods for you to research. Just increase your intensity and don't have such drastic changes in caloric intake, eat above maitenance, and you'll bulk with minimal fat gain. 1g/lb of protein, .5-1g/lb of fat, the rest fill up with carbs.

ITW

ITW

Awards
Honestly I only count calories religiously during a cut. During a bulk I simply make sure I'm eating clean and getting in enough protein. I adjust how much I'm eating by the scale/mirror/strength gains.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
That's about what I've done today. I've only eaten 1600 cals today, but 171g protein (BBQ grilled chicken and turkey legs for lunch...yes). And I plan on carbing up after I workout today, when I take my creatine. I'm just not hungry most of the time, I'll honestly probably be fine for the rest of the day HUNGER wise.

I'm going to try 2400 for a week and see how it goes. I'll reduce/add by 200 if I need to.

Also, forgot to include that I started loading creatine on Thursday...maybe Friday...at 25g post-workout, mixed with apple juice.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No need to load creatine. It'll saturate in a week or so regardless and take it anytime you want.

Get used to eating. I'm 5'9" and can kill 5,000cal and still want more

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
No need to load creatine. It'll saturate in a week or so regardless and take it anytime you want.

Get used to eating. I'm 5'9" and can kill 5,000cal and still want more
Interesting...didn't know that about creatine...thank you! Yeah, I'm 5'6" and 2400 calories is a pain for me, unless its straight junk food. Definitely holding a lot more since I started taking the creatine....bloat sucks. And I drink 1.5-2gal water a day. But I've done that for years because I do lawn care and landscaping.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Found some pictures from all my years of progress.

March of 2010, 16yo, 235lb at 5'4"
image-193056839.jpg

January of 2012, 18 yo, 135lb, at 5'6"
image-1384478606.jpg

January of 2013, 18yo, 160lb, at 5'6"
image-2048326348.jpg

March of 2013, 19yo, 155lb, at 5'6"
image-3961233459.jpg

(Most Recent) May 31 of 2013, 147lb, at 5'6"
image-78222695.jpg

SPLocal

Awards
1. Excellent work on your weight loss, and you escaped the issue of stretch marks/residual skin as well!

2. I agree with what has been said here: bulk or cut. The difference is in the extent of surplus/deficits necessary to achieve your goals with limited fat gains (or, if cutting, catabolism). This takes fine-tuning but certainly a male of your age and training frequency should be eating 2500kcal as a daily minimum--though in fact you should probably be eating more. If you are concerned with your conditioning, incorporate active rest or brief bouts of interval training into your rest days while keeping calories high.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
1. Excellent work on your weight loss, and you escaped the issue of stretch marks/residual skin as well!

2. I agree with what has been said here: bulk or cut. The difference is in the extent of surplus/deficits necessary to achieve your goals with limited fat gains (or, if cutting, catabolism). This takes fine-tuning but certainly a male of your age and training frequency should be eating 2500kcal as a daily minimum--though in fact you should probably be eating more. If you are concerned with your conditioning, incorporate active rest or brief bouts of interval training into your rest days while keeping calories high.
I'm pretty sure I've decided I'm just going to bulk. For me, I had to come to the mental conclusion that I'm doing this for myself and no one else, so other people's opinions of me while I'm all bulked up and bloated won't mean much to me. Also, I had to realize that it's not a one year, two year, or even three year thing...It's a life long mission and challenge. Keep getting bigger, stronger, and faster. As cliche as it sounds.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm pretty sure I've decided I'm just going to bulk. For me, I had to come to the mental conclusion that I'm doing this for myself and no one else, so other people's opinions of me while I'm all bulked up and bloated won't mean much to me. Also, I had to realize that it's not a one year, two year, or even three year thing...It's a life long mission and challenge. Keep getting bigger, stronger, and faster. As cliche as it sounds.
It's not cliche. That's why we are all here. Being sub 10% BF and sacrificing some leaness to bulk up will be a mind fck. That being said, you're already lean. The minimal fat gain you will have will be nothing compared to the newly acquired muscle.

Now go eat a hamburger or 3.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Hahahaha, Sean, I cracked up man. I'm about to go make a triple decker turkey and cheese sandwich though, honestly.

On a side note, after "bulking" for 3 days, and taking creatine, I'm staying steady at 149 these last 3 days. I did notice today, while I was working legs, that I have TONS more energy and just feel SO MUCH better. I got my squat up to 185 x 3, after doing 5x135, 5x145, 5x155, 5x165 and 5x175. So that felt amazing, a real accomplishment, all thanks to EATING. It's a wonder what food can do for a person...

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Just a quick update, for the last 3 days I've been eating 2400-2600 calories, whereas I was only eating 1600-1800. Well, somehow, even taking creatine and being loaded with carbs, I've actually lost a pound since Friday morning? The fuh?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can easily fluctuate 5lbs dude.

Seriously, eat more!

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I can easily fluctuate 5lbs dude.

Seriously, eat more!
I'm trying, hahaha, I gotta get stretch my stomach back out. For breakfast this morning I had:
2 slices of pizza (480/cal, 27/p, 48/c, 20/f, each)
3.7oz chicken (110/cal, 23/p, 1/c, 1/f)
Quest Nutrition Peanut Butter Supreme (210/cal, 20/p, 21/c, 10/f)
8oz No Sugar Added apple juice w/creatine (110/cal, 0/p, 27/c, 0/f)
And ranch for the chicken and pizza, because it's great.

Ended up being 990/cal, 70/p, 100/c, 38/f, total. Also had 32oz of water, multi-vit, and calcium/magnesium/zinc.

I'm pretty freakin stuffed, not gonna lie.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Oh, and yeah, I have a food scale that does lbs, ounces, kg, and grams. Definitely worth the $35 I spent on it a few months ago.

trn450

trn450

Awards
Great progress over the last couple of years! You look decently broad, I imagine with size you'll do well.

As a side note, having said all that, there is no way you're 6% BF even if that's what the machine spit out :D Maybe 12%, which is stlll very lean, but 6% is crazy lean.

Also, just try to keep thing sin perspective. The only way you're putting on 40lbs in 8 months is if you get FAT. And, my experience is that people are excellent at rationalizing that their new found fat is actually the result of a lean bulk. So, don't forget to keep that tape measure on your waist.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Great progress over the last couple of years! You look decently broad, I imagine with size you'll do well.

As a side note, having said all that, there is no way you're 6% BF even if that's what the machine spit out :D Maybe 12%, which is stlll very lean, but 6% is crazy lean.

Also, just try to keep thing sin perspective. The only way you're putting on 40lbs in 8 months is if you get FAT. And, my experience is that people are excellent at rationalizing that their new found fat is actually the result of a lean bulk. So, don't forget to keep that tape measure on your waist.
Yeah, I was actually EXPECTING to get 11-12% on the body fat, I told the guy it was wrong, lol. And if it takes me 14 months, then it takes 14 months. Progress is progress, I'm in no hurry.

Also, I actually just ordered a skin fold caliper and a body tape measure Friday night, so it should be shipping out today, I'm a geek/nerd and love numbers and data. I record damn near everything that has any numerical data. So watching my sizes and measurements will be great for me! Hahaha

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Today's workout was GREAT. Since I've actually been eating plenty, I had a lot more energy and focus, and hit reps that I've honestly never hit before.

5/3/1 Chest Day - Week One - 6/3/2013

5 minute bike warmup
15 push-ups
5x135
5x155
5x175 (got 7, pretty impressed)
20x35 db press
15x35 db press
12x35 db press
12x35 db press
10x35 db press
20 "seated dips"
20 "seated dips"
18 "seated dips"
18 "seated dips"
12x25 db fly
12x25 db fly
12x25 db fly
12x25 db fly
20x40 tricep rope ext.
20x45 tricep rope ext.
18x50 tricep rope ext.
12x60 tricep rope ext.
20x105 tricep press mchn
25x120 tricep press mchn
20x135 tricep press mchn
15x150 tricep press mchn
15 push ups

Food/Supplement Intake:
2640 Calories
201g Protein
246g Carbs
108g Fat
*** Multi-Men Sport
20g Creatine (mixed in 8oz apple juice)
2 Scoops AndroRush BullNOX (friend let me try it at the gym, for freeeeeeee! Pretty good pump too)

Over all, damn good day.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Had a pretty good workout today, I've never done standing shoulder presses before, so it was my first time doing them. Wasn't sure what to do for weights, so I started pretty light.

Workout:

5/3/1 - Shoulder Press - 6/4/2013 - Week 1.
4 minute bike
5x55 seated shldr press mchn
5x55 standing shoulder press
5x65 standing shoulder press
10x75 standing shoulder press
15x55 stand ez bar curls close
12x55 stand ez bar curls wide
10x55 stand ez bar curls close
10x55 stand ez bar curls wide
10x20 db hammer curls
10x20 db hammer curls
10x15 db hammer curls
12x15 db hammer curls
10 palms in chin ups
8 palms in chin ups
6 palms in chin ups

Annnnnd, my post-workout meal was great, local Mexican place has buy one combo get another combo half off on Tuesdays, so I did.

image-1997022238.jpg

Yeah, it was good. Cleared all the plates, all the salsa and guacamole, and an entire basket of chips. Felt pretty accomplished. And stuffed.

trn450

trn450

Awards
Impressive eating skills. +1

trn450

trn450

Awards
Hahaha, I came home and had ice cream too! I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

*edit: forgot to post a picture of the plates after eating*
As long as you're keeping it under control and not getting fat after all of that hard work leaning out, enjoy it!

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Well, it's actually not as bad as it seems. I ate breakfast at 9, and then had to run errands all day, went to the gym at 3, got done at 5, and ate all that. In short, I didn't eat lunch, so that was my lunch and dinner. I've only had 1.5 cups of ice cream and a fiber one bar since that.

trn450

trn450

Awards
I'll take your word for it and let the pics do the talking :)

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
I'll take your word for it and let the pics do the talking :)
Pics will be updated Saturday, and I'll do a weigh in tomorrow morning! I've always weighed in on Wednesday, no idea why, just do.

SPLocal

Awards
Fat and muscle gains will take some time to visibly accumulate (on the order of weeks to months), the former generally appearing more quickly than the latter if too much caloric excess is present. Although you certainly have some flexibility with regards to your diet/intake, remember: "hard" bulking is not always smart bulking, particularly when training naturally.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Weighed in this morning after waking up and walking the dog down the road. [insert drumroll]

Annnnnnnnnd....149.0lbs. Damn, lol

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Alright, just wanted to throw a few questions and statements out here, any answers and opinions would be awesome.

1) I noticed today that my arms (especially forearms), chest, legs, and upper back are really starting to, I guess, get loaded with creatine. As they look bigger and when I flex they feel bigger. Good news.

2) I also noticed today that my lower back and abs seem to be getting a really bloated, watery, puffy look to them. My jeans are fitting the same, but my lower back and abs look visibly pudgy. Not sure if that has to do with water retention + increased carbs + creatine or what.

3) The last few days I've been really tired and groggy, even just around the house. Yeah, I'm still killing my workouts, but before I go to the gym and after I get home, I just feel "bleh"

4) Would taking AnaBeta Elite + Erase Pro + DAA help to keep off *some* abdominal fat gain? Because I hold all my fat in my lower back and gut. No matter what I do, even when cutting, I can't get rid of it. So, I'm wondering what I can do to help limit any excessive fat in those areas.

Any other supplement suggestions, dietary suggestions, opinions, ideas, anything and everything y'all can think of, please feel free to post. I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible during this first "clean bulk" and I'm hoping it doesn't become a "dreamer bulk."

Any questions for me, just ask.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright, just wanted to throw a few questions and statements out here, any answers and opinions would be awesome.

1) I noticed today that my arms (especially forearms), chest, legs, and upper back are really starting to, I guess, get loaded with creatine. As they look bigger and when I flex they feel bigger. Good news.

2) I also noticed today that my lower back and abs seem to be getting a really bloated, watery, puffy look to them. My jeans are fitting the same, but my lower back and abs look visibly pudgy. Not sure if that has to do with water retention + increased carbs + creatine or what.

3) The last few days I've been really tired and groggy, even just around the house. Yeah, I'm still killing my workouts, but before I go to the gym and after I get home, I just feel "bleh"

4) Would taking AnaBeta Elite + Erase Pro + DAA help to keep off *some* abdominal fat gain? Because I hold all my fat in my lower back and gut. No matter what I do, even when cutting, I can't get rid of it. So, I'm wondering what I can do to help limit any excessive fat in those areas.

Any other supplement suggestions, dietary suggestions, opinions, ideas, anything and everything y'all can think of, please feel free to post. I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible during this first "clean bulk" and I'm hoping it doesn't become a "dreamer bulk."

1) Most likely increased glycogen from the increase in carbs and water, not specifically creatine.

2) See #1

3) Look into a GDA or Insulin mimicker (SSv2, SlinShot, Burn24, Recompadrol, Slintensity). It could possibly be from the change of diet and the carb increase.

4) Drop it with the cutting fat off stuff. You want to bulk, then bulk. Those supplements may assist in preventing some additional fat loss, but cutting fat off AND gaining muscle is difficult. Like we all said. Pick a goal.

Don't worry about weighing yourself day to day and daily physical changes. My pants fit today, but they may be too small tomorrow, and then fit again the next day. You're gonna drive yourself insane.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
1) Most likely increased glycogen from the increase in carbs and water, not specifically creatine.

2) See #1

3) Look into a GDA or Insulin mimicker (SSv2, SlinShot, Burn24, Recompadrol, Slintensity). It could possibly be from the change of diet and the carb increase.

4) Drop it with the cutting fat off stuff. You want to bulk, then bulk. Those supplements may assist in preventing some additional fat loss, but cutting fat off AND gaining muscle is difficult. Like we all said. Pick a goal.

Don't worry about weighing yourself day to day and daily physical changes. My pants fit today, but they may be too small tomorrow, and then fit again the next day. You're gonna drive yourself insane.
1 and 2 make sense now, kind of. Not to be a pain in the ass or a noob, but how exactly does glycogen cause that effect?

3) That actually explains a lot. My family has a history of type-1 diabetes. As in, my grandpa, great grandpa, uncle, great uncle, great aunt, and my aunt all have or had it before passing. Fuuuuhhhh...and my fingers and hands have been tingling/going numb lately....may need to see a doctor...

4) ...I know, I know...I'm just a bit neurotic at times, if y'all can't tell yet. Like I said, I can already tell that my muscle look and feel more full, and it's only a week in. My strength is coming back and I haven't had workouts this good in probably 8 months. I'm sticking with the bulk!!!!!!! Aaaaaaarrrrggghhhhh, I'm going to do it...I've tried before but got scared of gaining fat. But I'm doing it this time.

Thank you Sean, it really helps to have people supporting you. Plenty supported me cutting/losing weight, but no one except y'all on here support me bulking and gaining weight. I'll keep at it, I've always wanted to be pretty big, and I will be in time.

SPLocal

Awards

1. Agree with Sean.

2. Probably a mixture of all three factors, higher carb intakes do make me bloat/hold water rather quickly.

3. I'm not sure about this one.

4. Fact of the matter: with natty bulking, fat gains are inevitable. I'm an advocate of clean eating regardless of whether cutting or bulking, on or off gear. Yes, its more difficult to do, yes it can be more expensive, but the way I see it is this: everything I consume should play some role in helping my physical, mental, and training-related capabilities to progress. All foods should contribute something, however major or minor, to the overall "project" outside of obvious things like macros and calories. As I said before, you have some flexibility for big eating, but playing fast and loose with diet would be a rough way to discover whether or not you're a "hardgainer" who can eat junk food all day and not put on weight (conversely, muscle gain may be more difficult for this sort of genetic/metabolic makeup). The body, especially when natty, can only put so much of your caloric surplus towards muscle growth/recovery, the rest will go right where you don't want it to.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
1. Agree with Sean.

2. Probably a mixture of all three factors, higher carb intakes do make me bloat/hold water rather quickly.

3. I'm not sure about this one.

4. Fact of the matter: with natty bulking, fat gains are inevitable. I'm an advocate of clean eating regardless of whether cutting or bulking, on or off gear. Yes, its more difficult to do, yes it can be more expensive, but the way I see it is this: everything I consume should play some role in helping my physical, mental, and training-related capabilities to progress. All foods should contribute something, however major or minor, to the overall "project" outside of obvious things like macros and calories. As I said before, you have some flexibility for big eating, but playing fast and loose with diet would be a rough way to discover whether or not you're a "hardgainer" who can eat junk food all day and not put on weight (conversely, muscle gain may be more difficult for this sort of genetic/metabolic makeup). The body, especially when natty, can only put so much of your caloric surplus towards muscle growth/recovery, the rest will go right where you don't want it to.
My biggest problem and issue is myself, and my mentality. Going from being a big ol' tub of lard to being 147 and 11-12% body fat changed my mental state. I've mostly gotten over that though.

Right now, like you said, I'm trying to figure out where I need to set my calories. Because I honestly have no clue how much I should eat to gain weight. I've never tried. The app I use for tracking food can average intake for the last 7 days, so on Saturday I'll post my average intake and also update pics and weight.

I try to eat clean, and I do 90% of the time. I have a weakness for Japanese food though...like yakisoba and tempura...mmmm that does sound good. But yeah, I'm still watching what I eat and how much.

My "macros" are 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. Although I generally just make sure I get my protein at 1.5g x lb and fill the rest with whatever.

trn450

trn450

Awards
3) That actually explains a lot. My family has a history of type-1 diabetes. As in, my grandpa, great grandpa, uncle, great uncle, great aunt, and my aunt all have or had it before passing. Fuuuuhhhh...and my fingers and hands have been tingling/going numb lately....may need to see a doctor...
Healthy people should really not be taking hypoglycemia inducing medications. It's just too dangerous. Not that any of the OTC supplements really work that well compared to insulin or the oral hypoglycemics.

Before you start attributing type 1 diabetes to feeling groggy, I'd be curious to know if your workout intensity or anything else has changed. Sleep, etc, included. I'd be more concerned with type 1 DM if you told me you're pissing like a race horse and you had lost weight.

The numbness and tingling in your hands also doesn't sound like Type 1 DM's initial presenting symptoms. Typically the numbness, tingling, and pain you get in diabetics is an advanced form of the disease after many years when you get neuropathy from the chronic hyperglycemia.

Lots of things could cause numbness and tingling, especially during sleep, using a computer, or having your hands over your head which all contribute to nerve compression at different levels.

But, a physical exam if you haven't had one in a long time is alway sa good thing and nothing can substitute an exam and physical by your primary care physician.

Also, are you sure your family members had type 1 DM? Type 1 DM is often seen developing at young age, and type 2 DM is often seen developing in advanced age. Both can happen either way, but these are the general trends.

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Healthy people should really not be taking hypoglycemia inducing medications. It's just too dangerous. Not that any of the OTC supplements really work that well compared to insulin.

Before you start attributing type 1 diabetes to feeling groggy, I'd be curious to know if your workout intensity or anything else has changed. Sleep, etc, included. I'd be more concerned with type 1 DM if you told me you're pissing like a race horse and you had lost weight.

The numbness and tingling in your hands also doesn't sound like Type 1 DM's initial presenting symptoms. Typically the numbness, tingling, and pain you get in diabetics is an advanced form of the disease after many years when you get neuropathy from the chronic hyperglycemia.

Lots of things could cause numbness and tingling, especially during sleep, using a computer, or having your hands over your head which all contribute to nerve compression at different levels.

But, a physical exam if you haven't had one in a long time is alway sa good thing and nothing can substitute an exam and physical by your primary care physician.

Also, are you sure your family members had type 1 DM? Type 1 DM is often seen developing at young age, and type 2 DM is often seen developing in advanced age. Both can happen either way, but these are the general trends.
Workout intensity over the last week has been a lot higher than the last few months combined, definitely.

Over the last probably 10 days I haven't been sleeping well at all. I'm restless, can't fall asleep, can't stay asleep, and usually wake up at 7:30. Had a sleep study done and I have mild insomnia, but they said my medication (Pamelor and Topamax) should help.

I have been pissing a lot more lately, even if I don't drink a whole lot, but I've always been that way. And even though I've been eating more my weight has been pretty static (+- 3 pounds daily).

And yeah, they all got diabetes in their late teens, early twenties I believe. Except my aunt, she just got diagnosed and she's 34.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Healthy people should really not be taking hypoglycemia inducing medications. It's just too dangerous. Not that any of the OTC supplements really work that well compared to insulin or the oral hypoglycemics.

You're absolutely correct. I didnt mean for GDA's to replace or remedy a medical issue. I should have made mention that GDA's help me feel less groggy from high carbs.

Solid advice

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
What does GDA stand for? Is that the same as a carb-blocker or SlinShot type supplements?

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Alright, tonight was ab night, and I felt pretty cruddy at first, but as I got warmed up and a little sweat going I felt much much better and I feel great now. I have more energy now, after the gym, than I have all day. Looks like I won't be going to bed soon.

Anyway, the workout:

Ab Day - 6/5/2013
80x25 crunch machine
80x25 crunch machine
80x25 crunch machine
80x25 crunch machine
Body weight x25 hyperextension
35x12 hyperextension
35x12 hyperextension
35x10 hyperextension
80x20 double crunch (name? Pic attached)
80x20 double crunch
90x18 double crunch
100x12 double crunch
12 decline sit-ups
12 decline sit-ups
6 decline sit-ups w/35lb plate
12 hanging leg lifts
12 hanging leg lifts
12 hanging leg lifts
25 "Abench" crunches
20 "Abench" crunches
15 "Abench" crunche
Tanned for 10 minutes
Sauna for 20 minutes

First time doing a standalone ab day in about 5 months. Felt good. No pre-workout or anything.

Attachments

trn450

trn450

Awards
Workout intensity over the last week has been a lot higher than the last few months combined, definitely.

Over the last probably 10 days I haven't been sleeping well at all. I'm restless, can't fall asleep, can't stay asleep, and usually wake up at 7:30. Had a sleep study done and I have mild insomnia, but they said my medication (Pamelor and Topamax) should help.

I have been pissing a lot more lately, even if I don't drink a whole lot, but I've always been that way. And even though I've been eating more my weight has been pretty static (+- 3 pounds daily).

And yeah, they all got diabetes in their late teens, early twenties I believe. Except my aunt, she just got diagnosed and she's 34.
Well, lots of possible explanations for how you feel. But, you do have quite the extensive family history of DM1. Just get your fasting blood glucose checked and you'll know definitively. Usually when you see a young person present with DM1 they've lost a LOT of weight. But, obviously nobody can make that determination without being a trained medical professional who is doing the history and physical examination in person with supporting lab values. If you're feeling like you need to visit the doctor, by all means do :)

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
Finally able to get some measurements in!

Got in some stuff in the mail today. 2 skin fold calipers and a body tape measure. Just finished taking measurements with the tape measure, and I'll post them here. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the calipers myself...because I did it once already (Pollock 7-site) and came up with 11.7%, which is pretty reasonable. Doing it a few times with each caliper though and then averaging the ones from each caliper, then averaging the averages together to get an overall average. Make sense?

Tape Measurements:
6/6/2013 - 12:15 PM - No Workout Yet
Neck: 15.0"
Chest: 41.0" unflexed
Waist (1/2" above navel): 30.5"
Hips (at hip bone): 36.5"
Right bicep (cold flex): 13.5"
Left bicep (cold flex): 13.0"
Right forearm (cold flex): 11.5"
Left forearm (cold flex): 11.5"
Right calf (cold flex): 14.5"
Left calf (cold flex): 14.75"
Right quad (cold flex): 22.5"
Left quad (cold flex): 22.0"

DipStrong

DipStrong

Awards
BADASS Workout tonight!!!
(If random and completely unorganized)

Leg day...kind of....not really...

15xbar squat (warmup)
15x95 deadlift
12x115 deadlift
10x135 deadlift
6x155 deadlift
5x155 deadlift
12x85 wide lat pulldown
12x100 wide lat pulldown
10x120 wide lat pulldown
4x140 wide lat pulldown (wtf..? Usually get 160x6)
12x20 smith mchn mil. press
10x50 smith mchn mil. press
5x70 smith mchn mil. press
15xbar deadlifts (again, form focused)
12x65 deadlift (form focused)
10x85 deadlift (form focused)
12x90 smith mchn shrugs
12x90 smith mchn shrugs
10x90 smith mchn shrugs
15x20 incline curls (for the lulz)
6x25 incline curls (for the lulz)
25x45 seated calf raises (bored and full of energy at this point)
12x90 seated calf raises (I'm just gonna kill it, lol)
10x120 seated calf raises (almost broke my toe and barely got it reracked, damn)
Done.

Overall, I'm tired, sweaty and feeling accomplished. Took 2 scoops of AndroRush BullNox about 15 minutes before my workout and I'm PUMPED. My calves right now...sick as tits.

Post workout: 2 scoops dymatize elite whey protein isolate (rich chocolate), 10g creatine mono, and 1L water.