Killn' The Cube: My powerlifting venture begins

Page 7 of 68 First ... 25678912 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLocal View Post
    Just read through the whole log; I admire the feedback and dialogue it generates and how you all contribute to one another's progress, and of course the work you are putting in!

I wanted to ask, what made you interested in powerlifting and opt for The Cube as your training platform?
    Herder and I both started the Cube around the same time. Us and Swanson both recommended the Cube to him. We all help each other out
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

2. Registered User

I just dropped a line in Sean's log as well; I'm interested to hear what he has to say (or what any of you have to say, for that matter).

In the near future I will be able to train in a more specialized bodybuilding/powerlifting gym, and with the resource/knowledge base that lies therein I hope to pursue something competitive with my training. Whether it will be bodybuilding or raw powerlifting, I've yet to decide.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLocal
    Just read through the whole log; I admire the feedback and dialogue it generates and how you all contribute to one another's progress, and of course the work you are putting in!

I wanted to ask, what made you interested in powerlifting and opt for The Cube as your training platform?
    I agree, there's really a lot of good dudes around this part of the site. Everyone pulls for each other and gives great feedback. Like I said before, the best thing I have done is post videos for these guys to critique.

I got into The Cube after posting a thread about powerlifting routines. I knew I wanted to compete in some aspect because I love training and have been competing my whole life. Also I knew for me, training for a competition would bring about a new dynamic which would force myself to push harder. I want to compete raw, so The Cube was a logical choice. It's been treating me well and I will continue using it.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

Sean and herder.
    This. Rodja also mentioned it in my prior thread.
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    I agree, there's really a lot of good dudes around this part of the site. Everyone pulls for each other and gives great feedback. Like I said before, the best thing I have done is post videos for these guys to critique.

I got into The Cube after posting a thread about powerlifting routines. I knew I wanted to compete in some aspect because I love training and have been competing my whole life. Also I knew for me, training for a competition would bring about a new dynamic which would force myself to push harder. I want to compete raw, so The Cube was a logical choice. It's been treating me well and I will continue using it.
    Thanks for the feedback; I've been getting the urge to compete in one way or another with my training lately, as it gives you something to hold in mind as you train. Concurrently I'd imagine the rigors of prep and competition would expand the impact of one's training on personal development and discipline applicable both inside and outside of the gym. If I do enter PL'ing, it will certainly be raw so I will be keeping an eye on the log, keep up the good work!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

This whole not lifting/deload thing blows. I need to pick up something heavy before I go nuts.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

This whole not lifting/deload thing blows. I need to pick up something heavy before I go nuts.
    Try to stay relaxed and not get all amped up
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni

Try to stay relaxed and not get all amped up
    I know, lol. Longest break I've taken in 2 years is 3 days. I'm not accustom to free time on weekdays.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

I know, lol. Longest break I've taken in 2 years is 3 days. I'm not accustom to free time on weekdays.
    Screw LISS. Don't do too much this week. Get some sprints in.

Week before my meet, I just went to the gym and went through the motions in order of lifts. 225 squat, 135 bench, 225 dead. Just a set or two each. Then lots of mobility work.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332

Screw LISS. Don't do too much this week. Get some sprints in.

Week before my meet, I just went to the gym and went through the motions in order of lifts. 225 squat, 135 bench, 225 dead. Just a set or two each. Then lots of mobility work.
    eek. Too late for sprints now, I believe. Maxing Thursday. You think I'd be ok doing 185/135/225 tmrw, considering I max 2 days after?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

You'd be good just doin some non taxing mobility work man. Maybe some prehab work.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

You'd be good just doin some non taxing mobility work man. Maybe some prehab work.
    Cool, thanks. I been stretching the hips pretty aggressively. Hopefully I can achieve depth easier.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 11: Mock meet day

Don't know what to say, except I'm extremely disappointed.

Squat: during warm ups I was feeling weak and form felt off. Warmed up to 365. Attempted 365 and got folded. As soon as I started sitting back my chest caved and there was no recovering. Attempted it again, chest didn't cave, but I'm 100% sure I missed depth. So, me being a genius, I decided since I got folded by 365 once and missed depth once I would try 375. Straight up got folded. /squats.

Bench: warmed up to 275. Got it, but was very slow off my chest. Attempted 305, failed. Attempted again, got it but was the slowest rep of my life. No way I shouldn't have nailed it. I have gotten 315x4 4 months ago.

Deadlift: feeling drained by now. Attempted 455 and got it. Felt alright and I sat back more, but was pretty slow. Attempted 495, god damn fail again. Got it to my knees and couldn't finish.

Finished everything in about 90 min. No doubt in my mind I busted a$$ every single day during this program. I think the deload was my detriment. I been feeling weak all week. I thought it was in my mind because I haven't taken a deload, well ever. Nope, I displayed pure sh1t of strength today.

I'm going to take it on the chin and move on. Today is not the day to whine. I'm going to train harder than I ever have in my life these coming weeks. No holding back, no excuses, no nothing except improvement. I hope everyone appreciates the sacrifices people have made for our country today. Have a good day everyone.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Well...in a real meet you're doing all 9 attempts within several hours...not 90 minutes. Sucks man.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Yeah, trying to grab a total in 90 minutes is crazy tough, dude. It takes me 45min to get to my max weight for one lift. This might have been a case of getting PRs all cycle long and not being able to perform on the meet day because you're all beat up. Lilly talks about that a good bit. Take some time to think up what's next.

Whatever you decide is next, we'll all be along for the ride.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Well...in a real meet you're doing all 9 attempts within several hours...not 90 minutes. Sucks man.
    Yeah bro. Sh1tty because I know for a fact my squat has improved, which should have improved my deadlift as well. I was feeling great a week ago aside from some DOM's. That 6 days off killed me. I honestly think where I stand today, I could lift heavy more frequently and still improve. I'm upset, but not at the same time. Sometimes failing is the best thing for you in the long run. It's only uphill from here.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

He does say meet week is week 10. Go to Nomz's Cube log and see how he did his. He did it over the course of a week.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude
    Yeah, trying to grab a total in 90 minutes is crazy tough, dude. It takes me 45min to get to my max weight for one lift. This might have been a case of getting PRs all cycle long and not being able to perform on the meet day because you're all beat up. Lilly talks about that a good bit. Take some time to think up what's next.

Whatever you decide is next, we'll all be along for the ride.
    Thanks man. I can't really say I been nailing PR's all cycle. A few rep PR's at most, and a squat single PR. I certainly was beating the hell out of myself on all the accessory lifts. I still think the cube is an effective program, I just didn't know how to implement it to my individual needs. The way it was set up in his book, IMO, left a lot of upper back work on the table.

I got some really good ideas. I'll be running the cube again, but set it up totally differently. I will be hitting back and bi's on tues and sat. I got this idea from Jimmy Pacifico. A lot of rows, zercher squats, chains, hip accessory, and pause work in my future. Along with extreme form improvement. The form changes IMO played a part today. 9 weeks is not enough time to ingrain proper movement patterns. I think when you start changing your form for the better, at first you will take a small step back then two major steps forward.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

He does say meet week is week 10. Go to Nomz's Cube log and see how he did his. He did it over the course of a week.
    My mistake, this is week 10 for me. I'll def check out Nomz log.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

The good thing about today compared to week 1 is i know exactly where my weak spots are. Squat is the hole. Bench is 2 inches off my chest. Deadlift is right below my knees. I'm still still new to all this stuff and have a lot to improve upon.
  21. Registered User

Yeah bro. Sh1tty because I know for a fact my squat has improved, which should have improved my deadlift as well. I was feeling great a week ago aside from some DOM's. That 6 days off killed me. I honestly think where I stand today, I could lift heavy more frequently and still improve. I'm upset, but not at the same time. Sometimes failing is the best thing for you in the long run. It's only uphill from here.
    If you can walk away from it with lessons learned and a greater knowledge base, it was not a failure by any means.
    Even if you were to bomb out during an actual meet, so long as you can pinpoint the reasons/weak points in form I'd just view it as another stepping stone. Keep hitting it hard and smart, and you will undoubtedly get to where you want to be.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

A wise man sees failure as progress

That sucks man, but good to see you taking the positives from it. My meet(first one) total was 30lbs less than my gym total. Live, learn, adapt.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

I say go back in a few days and squat and maybe bench again. It's still week 10. If you felt weak and were off, and were telling yourself all week that you felt weak, and worried about the deload, all that stuff is hindering you. You need to get in the right mind set, you need to KNOW that you are going to hit your number. Believe in yourself. If your rep PRs got stronger during this, and you just didn't produce on Meet Day, you still know you got stronger. Keep your head up and keep killing it.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin
    I say go back in a few days and squat and maybe bench again. It's still week 10. If you felt weak and were off, and were telling yourself all week that you felt weak, and worried about the deload, all that stuff is hindering you. You need to get in the right mind set, you need to KNOW that you are going to hit your number. Believe in yourself. If your rep PRs got stronger during this, and you just didn't produce on Meet Day, you still know you got stronger. Keep your head up and keep killing it.
    I def felt weak, but I don't think I should max again. Because I want to tidy up my form before I attempt another max out.

This cycle the %'s won't be as important as I have established some rep PR's. I feel a lot more comfortable formatting it to my needs and adjusting accordingly. I love the idea of an explosive,rep, and heavy day. I know my squat improved and would bet my DL has too. Maxing out on DL's within such a small time of maxing on squats killed my DL. When I got 515 I certainly did not squat the same day, or within several days for that matter. Bench I don't really think improved. I expected a decline from the simple fact I started actually pausing and keeping a more controlled eccentric, but not this much lol.

Still happy I did the mock meet. Makes me think I can have a huuuge increase in total next mock meet day.

Cube run 2 starts Monday.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

I feel ya bro. Just saying if you wana do it do it. You'll be good either way though. You sound confident and that's what you need.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

I feel ya bro. Just saying if you wana do it do it. You'll be good either way though. You sound confident and that's what you need.
    Yeah I usually do my best following my worst. I won't be surprised if this coming cube cycle is the best 9 weeks of my life. I've got big goals to achieve.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 1: Day 1- Explosive squats

Pause squat: 3x8: 225
    3 sec hold on first 7 sets and a 5 sec on last set.

Front squat: 3x3-
    205x3
    225x3 (PR)
    225x3 (x2PR?)

Zercher low box squat w/ chains: 5x3-
    Bar+2 60# chains
    Haven't done zerchers in a minute. These bad dudes kill. The instability of the chains swaying really forces you to engage the core. The box was undoubtably below parallel at least 2".

Lying hamstring curls:
    100x10
    100x8
    90x8
    I did all of these with the slowest eccentric possible. Upwards of around 8 sec. Could barely walk after lol.

Banded GM:
    Average EFS bandx50

Feels so good to be back in the gym. I'm going to have serious DOMS tmrw. I can already feel it in my hips, abs, hamstrings, and lower back. I hope this time off has helped my CNS fully recover and open up a new world of progression. I'm paying close attention to form and really sitting back and spreading the floor. I found out today the more I opened my hips up the more my back stayed upright.

I'll be hitting the gym tmrw for back/bi's. My back has really weakened since starting the cube. And why I'm doing bi's? Cause I want big arms dammit.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Awesome workout man. I can feel the DOMs reading that haha.

I usually like to do some curls, then bust a flex, then say "this is what happens here," and then I walk out the gym with my arms up in the air and flexed on the way to the car. I think it helps
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob112
    Awesome workout man. I can feel the DOMs reading that haha.

I usually like to do some curls, then bust a flex, then say "this is what happens here," and then I walk out the gym with my arms up in the air and flexed on the way to the car. I think it helps
    Thanks man, felt a lot better today. It's safe to say I will never try to total in 90 min fasted again. It will have to be in 2 days, as I don't have time to be at the gym for 5 hours lol.

That's one way to go about curling, haha.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Today:

Cat-back lat pull-
    Heavy EFS band:
    x25
    x20
    x15

Croc rows: 12x3- 90

DB rows: 15x3- 60

Reverse fly: 20x3- 90

Concentrated curl: a lot- 20's

Shrugs:
    135- 10 sec squeeze at the top. Going for more of a DC type training on traps. Bodying heavy weight up does not make mine grow.

Calves

Ab wheel roll out

Static stretching

Didn't do anything heavy today. Some volume and concentrated on a slow tempo. I blew out my shoulder playing college baseball due to a lack of proper back/rear delt work. I will not cross that bridge again. Total workout lasted about an hr.

Heavy bench tmrw. Going to implement pause presses an inch or two above my chest. Interested to see how I respond.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 1: Day 2- Heavy Bench

Floor press: 2x5- 275
    Ignored percentages and went with a weight I knew I could nail. Every rep except one felt smooth. Good pause on ground.

Pause press 1-2" above chest: 3x3- 225
    First time trying these and I loved them. 3 sec pause on every rep.

Rolling tri extension: 12x3- 30's

Pec deck:
    forget weight and reps just did every rep as slow as I could and with a good squeeze at the top. These felt so much better with a slow tempo. Going to keep it that way.

Seated military press: 15x3- 95
    Was smoked by the time I got to these, so I picked a weight I knew I could perform perfectly with each rep. Was tough, but I got all the reps.

Today was the best bench day I've had with the cube hands down. Every single rep was performed with close attention to form. The weight felt light. I'm thinking the deload might have done me good after all because this week has been great. Maybe I just needed time out of the gym to rethink how I was doing things, and to rekindle that flame.
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

That's a pretty big floor press. You let your tris soak into the floor? I feel like that gives me the best work.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

That's a pretty big floor press. You let your tris soak into the floor? I feel like that gives me the best work.
    Yeah I did. It's def the best way. My sticking point is just above the chest. If I can get that better through isometric work my bench should improve. I felt fresh today and instead of the 252, which the cube called for, I did 275. I might have been able to do more honestly.

Edit: lifting partner deleted the video erhh. Looked good from what I saw .
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

Yeah man that's good work right there. My sticking point is about the same, weak tris, but it's improving the more I hammer them.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 1: Day 3- DL RE

Deadlift from floor: 415x8

Felt solid. I def had more in me, maybe 11 or 12. I have a video, but it's not worth posting. My phone fell and all you can see is my knees down. What I did learn from the video: I thought I was dropping my hips way lower than normal, 90 degrees maybe. The video however shows I was nowhere close to that. Going to work on that.

Sumo from floor: 6x2- 365

Just felt awkward. I'll post the video of which is quite possibly the worst set of sumo DL's. lol.

Rack pull: 3x1- 455

Set the pin one higher than normal, but also stood on some plates.

Oly squat: 8x3
    225x8
    235x8

Felt great.

Reverse hyper pseudo set up: BW- 20x3

Had a great workout today. Hungover from country concert yesterday. Started drinking at noon and don't want to know how many beers I drank. I didn't let that slow me down. Somehow some of my best workouts are after a night of drinking. I pulled that 515 hungover and fasted.

Will post videos after they upload.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

What's your reverse hyper setup?
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

What's your reverse hyper setup?
    Some old school PL'er showed me. We set a punching bag on a donkey calf raise machine. Works really well. I'll post a video next time.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Some old school PL'er showed me. We set a punching bag on a donkey calf raise machine. Works really well. I'll post a video next time.
    Sounds good man
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Sumo:

http://youtu.be/CGDmYQvGYK8

First rep was the best. Sh1t fell through fast. I was having trouble getting my hips through with these. I need to learn to get my hips back further without falling back. Going to need a lot more reps, barely been doing these.

Oly squat:

http://youtu.be/VGUzuauPy8w

Felt good and was getting some bounce out of the hole.

Sorry for the bad angles I didn't have my partner today to get videos. The space is so tight in that portion of the gym that I couldn't set a box to the side for a better angle.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Soooo how's your back feel on those sumo pulls?

Try to open the knees up a but more on the squats. Awesome depth though, man.
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
  2. The Plan & My Goal...
    By 01yz426 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
  3. "In the Zone": (My Focus XT review)
    By motiv8er in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 01:46 PM