Week 4: Day 1- Explosive squats

Pause squat: 6x2- 225
    Front squat: 1x2- 225
    Olympic squat w/ Bands: 185x2, 205x1
    Leg press: 3x15- 250
    Reverse Hyper: 3x20- BW
    Cable pull-through: 3x15- 80

http://youtu.be/BiujJCxtkyo
    I need to be more explosive. I like pause squats tho, seems like they will help me get comfortable in the hole. Nothing too heavy was lifted today, but the volume of all the warm up and working sets was taxing. I can definitely tell my legs are getting stronger.

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Week 4: Day 1- Explosive squats

Pause squat: 6x2- 225
    Front squat: 1x2- 225
    Olympic squat w/ Bands: 185x2, 205x1
    Leg press: 3x15- 250
    Reverse Hyper: 3x20- BW
    Cable pull-through: 3x15- 80

http://youtu.be/BiujJCxtkyo
    I need to be more explosive. I like pause squats tho, seems like they will help me get comfortable in the hole. Nothing too heavy was lifted today, but the volume of all the warm up and working sets was taxing. I can definitely tell my legs are getting stronger.
    Hard to see but it looks like your butt may have dipped when in the hole. Your butt seemed to shoot up fairly quickly so focus on chest out. Also try to not tippy toe the weight out of the rack. It may not matter with that lightweight but it will matter on max effort. Train how you would compete. Looked good tho man. Def hittin depth.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks brother. Any tips on how to keep chest out better? I tried to pinch my shoulders back, but it still caved in. I have reps where they feel flawless and powerful, and some where my chest caves. I can't pin point where the issue derives.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks brother. Any tips on how to keep chest out better? I tried to pinch my shoulders back, but it still caved in. I have reps where they feel flawless and powerful, and some where my chest caves. I can't pin point where the issue derives.
    Think of pulling your elbows down and in the whole time, and as you're coming out of the hole, drive your head back into the bar.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude

Think of pulling your elbows down and in the whole time, and as you're coming out of the hole, drive your head back into the bar.
    Thanks, I squat again Friday, so I'll give that a go. Once I figure out how to stay upright and comfortable coming out of the hole I think my squat will skyrocket.

Note: I can't squat low bar. I've tried, but every time I get over 135 on the bar I can't keep the damn thing in place and it feels like I'm holding the weight in my hands which kills my shoulders.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You need better tspine mobility.

Start doing wall squats. Facing the wall, Put feet against wall and chest against wall. Squat by pushing your hips back as hard as possible, keeping your chest against the wall.

Also, you need to fix that butt wink.

Start doing body weight box squats. Find a box an inch above parallel, and again, push your hips back as hard as possible, knees out, spread the floor with your feet.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by aceroni

You need better tspine mobility.

Start doing wall squats. Facing the wall, Put feet against wall and chest against wall. Squat by pushing your hips back as hard as possible, keeping your chest against the wall.

Also, you need to fix that butt wink.

Start doing body weight box squats. Find a box an inch above parallel, and again, push your hips back as hard as possible, knees out, spread the floor with your feet.
    Cool, I'll try the wall squats. Box squats haven't done anything for me. I can really sit back on the box which enables me to use more weight, but once I go to reg squats, I can't sit back as far or I'll lose my balance.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 4: Day 2- Bench Heavy

CG Pin press: 3x2
    155+2 60# chains 1x2
    165+2 60# chains 2x2

BB bench: 2x15
    205x15
    205x14.5

Pull-ups: 3x12- BW

JM Press: 3x12- 95

BB shrugs: 3x15- 225

Seated DB military: 3x12- 50's

This session was very taxing. Could have been because I trained fasted, but I was beat by the time I left. I loved the CG pin-press. Well, it wasn't exactly really CG, but as close as my shoulders will allow. I was an inch more than a thumb away from the smooth part in the middle. My usual grip is middle on ring.

http://youtu.be/o4o7kg2fTxM

That's my first set. I was so focused on trying to use leg drive, I forgot to hold my air again. While watching I also noticed the chains hardly touched the ground. I will adjust that next time.

All In all, it was a productive session.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Week 4: Day 2- Bench Heavy

CG Pin press: 3x2
    155+2 60# chains 1x2
    165+2 60# chains 2x2

BB bench: 2x15
    205x15
    205x14.5

Pull-ups: 3x12- BW

JM Press: 3x12- 95

BB shrugs: 3x15- 225

Seated DB military: 3x12- 50's

This session was very taxing. Could have been because I trained fasted, but I was beat by the time I left. I loved the CG pin-press. Well, it wasn't exactly really CG, but as close as my shoulders will allow. I was an inch more than a thumb away from the smooth part in the middle. My usual grip is middle on ring.

http://youtu.be/o4o7kg2fTxM

That's my first set. I was so focused on trying to use leg drive, I forgot to hold my air again. While watching I also noticed the chains hardly touched the ground. I will adjust that next time.

All In all, it was a productive session.
    You need to get tighter with your set up. Your legs are bouncing all over the place man.

Hard to tell from the angle but you might need more arch.

Your low back should be so tight it hurts, your knees should be so tight they can't bounce around.

Drive your heels into the ground but try not to bring your hips off the bench
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

You need to get tighter with your set up. Your legs are bouncing all over the place man.

Hard to tell from the angle but you might need more arch.

Your low back should be so tight it hurts, your knees should be so tight they can't bounce around.

Drive your heels into the ground but try not to bring your hips off the bench
    Yeah bro I'm a mess. Will get better!
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

Yeah bro I'm a mess. Will get better!
    Just trying to help!

Try watching "so you think you can bench"
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Just trying to help!

Try watching "so you think you can bench"
    Yeah man I appreciate it. I've seen it, but will review.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Tough week benching for all of us Cube'rs.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Went into the gym today for a little LISS cardio, foam rolling, and abs.

When I looked in the mirror today, I could tell I have added some mass already. Feels good to be making gains naturally. Opposed to fluctuating 15lbs between cycles, like a lot of people.

All you need is a lil cubebol and Lillydrol.

DL'ing tmrw, going to be trying the new technique herderdude suggested.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

It does feel good; I've stayed the same weight, but I had to have my son peel a polo shirt off me last week because my shoulders were stuck.

Eating clean + cube = win for me. You too apparently.

I should add dbol & see just how big I can get.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52
    It does feel good; I've stayed the same weight, but I had to have my son peel a polo shirt off me last week because my shoulders were stuck.

Eating clean + cube = win for me. You too apparently.

I should add dbol & see just how big I can get.
    Dude. Cube+Dbol? You'd have to start wearing bed sheets.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Went into the gym today for a little LISS cardio, foam rolling, and abs.

When I looked in the mirror today, I could tell I have added some mass already. Feels good to be making gains naturally. Opposed to fluctuating 15lbs between cycles, like a lot of people.

All you need is a lil cubebol and Lillydrol.

DL'ing tmrw, going to be trying the new technique herderdude suggested.
    That was the best part for me. Since I started dedicated powerlifting training, I'd be cruising along, jump on cycle and have huge strength gains, and then continue to make moderate strength gains in PCT. That's a helluva feeling.

EDIT: Any example of Lilly deadlifting or me deadlifting is what you'd be going for. It really works for me.
    Training log:
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 4: Day 3- Deadlift Reps

2" Deficit DL: 6x1- 415
    Absolute grinder. I was squealing like a hog, but managed to get 6. I def like that technique; I'm a grip and ripper. Form isn't perfect, but improving.

http://youtu.be/io1D2FhlMVg

Rack pull from bottom pin: 3x2-
    405x3
    425x3

Olympic squat: 8x3- 225
    Felt very good. Form and leg strength improving.

http://youtu.be/rf4YN6N0NhU

Banded Romanian DL: 10x3- 135+ grey elitefts band
    First time trying these w/ bands. Took Lilly's advice and instead of going all the way down, focused on pushing my hips as far back as possible.

Back raise: 50x1- BW

Did I mention, I love the cube?
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Great DL set. However (there's always a however), I'd like to see it more fluid; your hips pop up and it turns into a SLDL. Really keep those hips down & make it one movement.

Good session!
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Great DL set. However (there's always a however), I'd like to see it more fluid; your hips pop up and it turns into a SLDL. Really keep those hips down & make it one movement.

Good session!
    Thanks man. Yeah, I could tell the more fatigued I became, the more I started reverting back to my erroneous ways. I'm just going to have to give it more reps to drill it through my thick skull.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Thanks man. Yeah, I could tell the more fatigued I became, the more I started reverting back to my erroneous ways. I'm just going to have to give it more reps to drill it through my thick skull.
    I'm fighting the same form battles, too.
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

The best way to do it is going to be through speed work and in your warmup sets. Get a lot of volume warming up, that will be what drills the pattern. Just try to continue to sit down and back and down and back and down and back. The whole way through. You'll get it.
    Training log:
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 4: Day 4- Accessory day

Standing BB Military-
    135x2x8
    145x8
    155x6

Felt weak on these. Could have been from all the jäger i drank last night.

Tate press:
    40x8
    45x2x8

Side raise:
    20x10
    25x10
    30x2x10

EZ bar curl+band: 15x3

Banded press down:
    2 onx mini x3x30

Chin-up:
    BW+25x2x6
    Back still felt sore, so I called it.

DB Hammer curl:
    40x8x3

Quick easy session. Still was hungover, so my strength was a little down. Heavy squats tomorrow, should have a strong workout.

Edit: Going to be chilling today, thanks to all the great people who serve. Can't wait to get done with school to do my part. Might go fishing or take out the 30 aut to let her eat. I'm aware that i sound like a redneck lol.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 5: Day 1- Heavy Squat

Squat: 2x3- 315
    I turned my feet out a little more than normal today and it went really well. Felt strong coming out the hole. I noticed when I take my time and stay tight I don't have the tendency to lean forward as much. I could have done more weight, but following the % protocol has gotten me stronger each week, so I'm not going to ego lift.

BB goodmorning: 8x3
    135x8
    155x8
    175x8

Leg press: 20x3- 200

Lunges: 12x3- 90
    I suck at lunges and absolutely hate them. So, I'll keep doing them.

Lying hamstring curl: 2x50- 30
    Hamstring pump from hell.

Banded goodmorning: 50x1
    Really focusing on increasing lower back and hip strength. Definitely a weakness of mine.

A lot of volume today. Felt sluggish at first, but once I got moving i zoned in. Forgot to get videos today unfortunately. Oh well, def felt stronger than last time I did heavy squats.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

If you want to challenge yourself a little more, you can set a rep PR on your last set or maybe take an over set after your Rx'd sets. Just remember two things: It only matters on meet day, and don't miss a rep. You're gonna crush 405 when you try it next.

Here's an example: 405 was my buddy's PR until he hit 415 once in late April. He hit 460 this weekend and his opener of 405 looked something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhXbWGlqLmY

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE!
    Training log:
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Yeah I def will once I establish rep maxes on reg squats. I was pretty much only box squatting previously, so it's going to take a little time.

Yeah bro, your buddy killed 405.

My turn next..
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 5: Day 2- Bench rep

First off, I'm going to say I had a terrible start to my workout. According to my % I was suppose to hit 290x6. As I was warming up I could tell I was feeling weak. I attempted my last warmup set of 265 and tried to get 6. I stalled at 4! I
    been looking at my program 7 ways from Sunday trying to figure out where I went wrong.

I've concluded it's either A: I started doing more triceps accessory on Sunday, which left me taxed for today, or B: My CNS is fatigued from heavy squats Monday and heavy sled pulls yesterday.

Pretty frustrating.

Rest of my workout went like:

DB incline: 20x2-60's

Close grip+pause: 12x3
    135x12
    155x12
    155x12

Pec deck: 15x3- 140

V-bar press down: 100x1
    50x100

Seated military: 12x3
    95x12
    105x12
    115x12

I was pissed about my bench, so I took the anger and applied it to my supplemental lifts. Turned out to be a solid workout.
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Note: it's not calorie deficiency either. The last week I've consumed probably 15 hamburgers and 6 boxes of pizza. I'm not exaggerating. Weight is up to 207.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Any ideas? Should I lay off BB bench and focus on floor presses, board presses, pin presses, and such?

I don't get why my bench sucked. Even if I had bad form, I had bad form before and got 275x10. I know my DL and squat are increasing as well.
  30. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Any ideas? Should I lay off BB bench and focus on floor presses, board presses, pin presses, and such?

I don't get why my bench sucked. Even if I had bad form, I had bad form before and got 275x10. I know my DL and squat are increasing as well.
    Its probably just an off day bro. Don't have the percentages set in stone, use it as a guideline.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 5: Day 4- Explosive Dead's

Deadlift: 6x2- 315
    % called for 335, but my partners DL is well below mine, so I kept it at 315. I pulled, he pulled right after me. About 15 sec between sets. Really focused on hips down and leg drive. It feels like when I do I lean my back too far forward tho, weird. Should have got videos, but I was zoning and forgot.

Snatch grip DL from bottom pin: 12x3
    225x12
    245x12
    275x12
    No real issue with grip. Must be increasing.

Narrow stance squat: 8x3
    225x2x8
    235x8
    All these close stance squats are doing wonders for me. Much better than when I started.

Shrugs: 12x3
    225x12
    245x2x12

Lat pull-down: 15x4
    160x2x15
    150x15
    140x15
    These smoked me. The lack of ISO movements have decreased my strength in them. That's fine with me, since the big 3 are improving.

Banded GM: 1x50- grey elitefts band

Really got after it. 1 scoop focus XT+1 scoop craze got me in another world. This is right where I need to be..
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Yesterday's workout:

LISS cardio- 1 mile slight incline

Abs:

Banded crunches: 30x3

Banded side bends: 15x3

Plank: 2 min 30 sec x1

Also, hit the heavy bag for a few short rounds. It's been a while ha. Relieves some aggression tho, I'm Irish. Note I only do this when the gyms damn near empty, so I won't disturb anyone's workout flow.

http://youtu.be/nbzrDAbBrrc
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 5: Day 4- accessory day

DB shoulder press: 4x8- 70's

Banded press downs: 30x3- 2 onx mini's

Face-pulls- 15x3- 130

Cat back lat pull: 20x3- blue elitefts band
    Saw this exercise in Sean's thread and decided to try it. Felt good, really pumped up the lats.

Banded EZ bar curl: 12x3- 30+grey elitefts band

DB hammer curl (slow):
    40x8
    45x2x6

Quick 50 min workout. I need to work on triceps and shoulder strength. Everybody's thinking I'm juicing. I try to tell them about the cube and how they should run it, but everyone already knows everything about everything, and their program is superior, lol. Ok.

Note: 1 scoop focus XT+ 1 scoop craze is the best PWO stack I've tried to date. I've tried damn near everything.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

I posted in Sean's thread; I saw a full Cube cycle that Lilly put together for a buddy of mine.

The freakin programming is INSANE.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

I posted in Sean's thread; I saw a full Cube cycle that Lilly put together for a buddy of mine.

The freakin programming is INSANE.
    Wow, I wish that was in my budget, lol. Was it a lot different than the cycle Lilly had in his book?
  36. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Week 6: Day 1- Squat Reps

Squat: 6x1- 295
    After reviewing the video, it's clear I was missing depth. This is not a problem I am accustom to. The weight felt light, but I'm disappointed about the depth. I need to focus more before I get under the bar and mentally vision killing every rep. The butt wink wasn't as prominent and I know I've got a lot of room for technique improvement, but it's looking better. I have something in mind for my next squat session.

http://youtu.be/dE748irhXUo

Wide stance GM: 8x3- 185
    Upping the weight on these while maintaining the proper ROM. Hip and lower back strength are definitely on the rise.

Lunges: 15x3- 40lb DB's
    These smoked me, enough said.

Squat: 50x1
    Got damn this was killer. Even harder than the first go around. I got to 35 missed depth once, got extremely angry, yelled unconsciously, and killed the last 15. I laid on the floor for a solid 10 min after these.

Aside from the ****ty rep squats, I am extremely happy with my progression. The effort is certainly there. My partner said it was the best workout we've had. I don't doubt him.
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

Wow, I wish that was in my budget, lol. Was it a lot different than the cycle Lilly had in his book?
    No it's the same, just the attention to detail, percentages w & w/o bands & chains, pause work, etc.

Wish I had the bucks too.
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

No it's the same, just the attention to detail, percentages w & w/o bands & chains, pause work, etc.

Wish I had the bucks too.
    Nice, nice. I'm def going to implement more pause work. I don't know how to gauge tension with the bands and I want to follow the %'s as close as possible, so I just save the bands for accessory stuff.
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Ahh, been eating like a pregnant woman. 210 here I come.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.

FYI-the 12 week program w/Brandon is $200.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
  2. The Plan & My Goal...
    By 01yz426 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
  3. "In the Zone": (My Focus XT review)
    By motiv8er in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 01:46 PM
  4. Just enjoyed my first venture out of the house