Killn' The Cube: My powerlifting venture begins

Page 2 of 113 First 1234 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude
    Subbed. Low bar squats are the devil. I'm going back to high bar. Still keep your back tight though.
    Thanks. Yeah I've never really experimented with it, so I guess I'll see how it treats me. I been silently following your log. Sucks about the back, but I'm sure you'll be picking up heavy **** again in no time.

2. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post

Thanks. Yeah I've never really experimented with it, so I guess I'll see how it treats me. I been silently following your log. Sucks about the back, but I'm sure you'll be picking up heavy **** again in no time.
    No worries, bud. I'll be back in a hurry. But low bar also causes problems with the bench and deadlift due to biceps tendonitis.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

No worries, bud. I'll be back in a hurry. But low bar also causes problems with the bench and deadlift due to biceps tendonitis.
    I'm the same way man. Low bar destroys my shoulder

4. Week 2: Day 4- Accessory

Standing BB military: 4x8- 135
    Tate Press: 3x12- 35's
    EZ bar curl w/ band: 3x12- 30+band
    Pull-ups: 4x10- BW
    TRX face-pulls: 3x12- BW
    DB Hammer curl: 3x8- 45's

Nothing too heavy today. Just a little something to get the blood flowing. I was in and out in about 50 min. Looking forward to squat day tmrw! I feel like the handshake with Tate should add another 50lbs to my squat automatically.

5. Week 3: Day 1- Squat Reps

Squat: 1x8- 275
    Wide Stance GM: 3x8- 155
    Walking lunges: 3x15- 90
    Olympic squat: 1x50- 135

Squat felt really good. Kept my upper back tight, arched my back, and spread the floor with my knees. Only problem Is I can tell my hips are tight. Other than that they went really well; certainly could have done more weight, but I'm sticking to the program.

Walking lunges were brutal. Especially before that marathon of squats. I had the mindset that either I was going to get all 50 reps, or I was going to pass out trying. Luckily, 50
    came before unconsciousness.

Come week 10, I have no doubt I will have a huge PR on squats.

6. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Come week 10, I have no doubt I will have a huge PR on squats.
    That's a great feeling, isn't it? Wait until it happens, it's amazing. If you haven't seen Sean's squat PR, it was crazy impressive. 550 ATG and it looked like speedwork. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that a 25# PR?
    Training log:

7. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post

That's a great feeling, isn't it? Wait until it happens, it's amazing. If you haven't seen Sean's squat PR, it was crazy impressive. 550 ATG and it looked like speedwork. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was that a 25# PR?
    Yessir 25lb PR in 9 weeks and I had more in me. I said it then and I'll say it now, pause squats helped me hit that depth comfortably.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

Yessir 25lb PR in 9 weeks and I had more in me. I said it then and I'll say it now, pause squats helped me hit that depth comfortably.
    I like Lilly's idea of leaving a little on the platform. For me, there's a mental edge. It gives me so much to look forward to next time. 360 and 525 are just PRs for now, I know that as long as I didn't get weaker (and I don't have to pull on a squat bar), those will get shattered.
    Training log:

9. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude

Yeah I've seen it, I envy his squat lol. Makes huge weight look like nothing. I know my deadlift will always be ahead of my squat, but I def can close the gap. Form correction plus the cube will pay dividends.

Is it cool to do pause squats on dynamic/explosive days? I'm not sure if it would make a difference. The hole kills me. I squatted 455 on a box 3' above parallel 6 times, but getting out of the hole is a ***ch.

10. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post

Yeah I've seen it, I envy his squat lol. Makes huge weight look like nothing. I know my deadlift will always be ahead of my squat, but I def can close the gap. Form correction plus the cube will pay dividends.

Is it cool to do pause squats on dynamic/explosive days? I'm not sure if it would make a difference. The hole kills me. I squatted 455 on a box 3' above parallel 6 times, but getting out if the hole is a ***ch.
    I was doing pause squats every squat day, one time I tried them on a dynamic day with nobody to count . . . After reviewing the tape, I didn't actually pause. You gotta attack the hole, it's where 99% of raw squats are lost. Chill at good depth, but not resting on your calves, and then return.
    Training log:
    •   

11. Interested to see how the Cube works for you...

12. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude

I was doing pause squats every squat day, one time I tried them on a dynamic day with nobody to count . . . After reviewing the tape, I didn't actually pause. You gotta attack the hole, it's where 99% of raw squats are lost. Chill at good depth, but not resting on your calves, and then return.
    Nice, nice. I'm going to start incorporating them ASAP.

13. Quote Originally Posted by jem6702
    Interested to see how the Cube works for you...
    Thanks man. Been loving it so far. Every workout is different and challenging.

14. Heading to the gym soon for a lil LISS cardio, foam rolling, stretching, and abs.

Works got me burning too many cals. Woke up at 199. Very frustrating. Also could be the erase drying me out.

15. Nice. I can post vids now. Going to get a video of me deadlifting Friday to see where you guys think I need improvement.

Edit: Hell maybe even tmrw. It's only explosive bench, but I'm sure you guys can point something out.

16. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Nice. I can post vids now. Going to get a video of me deadlifting Friday to see where you guys think I need improvement.

Edit: Hell maybe even tmrw. It's only explosive bench, but I'm sure you guys can point something out.
    I'll tell you this; film every session possible. You want to establish absolute, unimpeachable form consistency regardless of the reps/weight. If you have a rep day breakdown, but you filmed it, it's going to help you immensely. Hell, I review my last set prior to my next.

Cube is awesome.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

17. Any idea why it keeps saying it can't publish my video on youtube?

18. It could be video size. iPhone?
    [email protected]

19. Yeah. The videos only 20 sec tops.

20. I have to upload directly from the photo app, I transfer from iMovie to the camera roll.
    [email protected]

21. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    I have to upload directly from the photo app, I transfer from iMovie to the camera roll.
    This is what I do, in 520 or whatever the option is. Then it takes about 3 min to upload to YouTube from there for 3-4 min videos.

22. 3 hours later, I think I've got it figured out.

Week 3: Day 2- explosive bench
    Bench: 8x3- 205
    Incline DB: 3x15- 70
    V-bar press downs: 1x100- 60
    Standing DB military: 3x10 50
    Pec Dec: 3x15- 140

http://youtu.be/2BTQSlB9PfI
    After watching I saw that I didn't hold my air. I tried to get the video on one of my last sets, where i thought form would somewhat breakdown. Otherwise, this session felt great. Tri's were sauced.

Note: you guys see anything erroneous?

23. Form looked good. My only critique would be bar speed. Explosive bench, brotha...explode that weight off your chest. I might overemphasize it when I bench, but I really like to see explosive reps on E day.

Also...turn the phone sideways!

24. Yeah, looked slow to me as well. First 6 sets felt faster. Also, just started this explosive training stuff and actually pausing on the chest. I'll get better at it.

I'll inform my lifting partner about the sideways view. Lol.

25. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Yeah, looked slow to me as well. First 6 sets felt faster. Also, just started this explosive training stuff and actually pausing on the chest. I'll get better at it.

I'll inform my lifting partner about the sideways view. Lol.
    No doubt you will.

I kind of like the explosive days now; I had never used them either, and with the Cube I think they're kind of fun.

26. Yeah, man. Form looked tight, just get faster. Apply 400lbs of force to that 200lb barbell. And keep your air until you lock it out, like you already noticed. Also, your feet might have been a little far back. Your shins were almost parallel to the floor. Make sure you're pushing through your heels the whole time.
    Training log:

27. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    3 hours later, I think I've got it figured out.

Week 3: Day 2- explosive bench
    Bench: 8x3- 205
    Incline DB: 3x15- 70
    V-bar press downs: 1x100- 60
    Standing DB military: 3x10 50
    Pec Dec: 3x15- 140

http://youtu.be/2BTQSlB9PfI
    After watching I saw that I didn't hold my air. I tried to get the video on one of my last sets, where i thought form would somewhat breakdown. Otherwise, this session felt great. Tri's were sauced.

Note: you guys see anything erroneous?
    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Yeah, man. Form looked tight, just get faster. Apply 400lbs of force to that 200lb barbell. And keep your air until you lock it out, like you already noticed. Also, your feet might have been a little far back. Your shins were almost parallel to the floor. Make sure you're pushing through your heels the whole time.
    The only thing that stands out to me is that you're not driving your heels to get the bar off your chest. Use more leg drive and your bar will move faster than you thought possible

28. Thanks for the advice fellas. Def going to work on keeping my air, driving through my heels, and moving the bar faster.

I've never video'd myself some I'm curious how my form will change when I get over 300#.

29. Quote Originally Posted by CincyKiller45 View Post
    Thanks for the advice fellas. Def going to work on keeping my air, driving through my heels, and moving the bar faster.

I've never video'd myself some I'm curious how my form will change when I get over 300#.
    Honestly I think you'll be surprised. It's easier for me to stay tight in the 375+ range, simply because the weight demands it. I don't think you'll see much change at all.

30. Damn. My lifting partner, I guess got a video of me pulling 495 a while back. Looks bad ha. I pretty much SL deadlifted that shiet.

http://youtu.be/qGQIRaQMuHs

That's the first time I've ever heard a noise like that come out of me BTW.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 02:34 PM
  2. The Plan & My Goal...
    By 01yz426 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 12:55 AM
  3. "In the Zone": (My Focus XT review)
    By motiv8er in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
  4. Just enjoyed my first venture out of the house