16 Weeks to APF TX Challenge

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After the meet last weekend, I'm starting to get back into the swing of things. I've had a big change in my schedule and will have to adapt to that, but I'm already planning for everything to get prepped for my next meet. This initial stretch will be an extended accumulation phase block style as I really, really need to get my work capacity up again. I noticed that it was lowered as the meet approached and knew that it would need to be my initial focus to get back into shape.

4/17 Upper

Floor Press
210x6, 210x6, 210x7

DB Rows
145x15

Dips
BWx10
BW+25x8
BW+25x7

Facepulls/Pressdowns
100x15x3/80x15x3

I knew that I was out of shape, but I had no idea how bad it had gotten. I managed to knock all of this out in about 50 minutes, but I was breathing heavily nearly the entire time. I also started IF again on Monday to slash off some fat and since I can fit it into my schedule while I'm doing (primarily) raw training. Weighed in 220 lbs yesterday and hope to get to 208-210 lbs by early June if not earlier to hopefully compete at 198 for this next meet.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/19 Upper

CG Incline
185x6, 185x6, 185x7

HS Rows (pronated)
135x12x3

DB Shoulder Press
60x12
70x10x2

Tate Press/Pullapart series (mini)
30x15x3/10x3

I went a bit slower during this session since the rest period between upper body sessions was less than my body is accustomed to and not go into each set already fatigued. My strength wasn't actually that bad, but I kept the volume on the low side to get in some work yet avoid taxing the CNS. I'll get back to squats on Sunday and skipped my normal mid-week lower body session to give my legs more time to rest, which is also why I haven't benched during either of these days.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/21 Lower

Cambered Low Box Squat
225x6x3

Cambered GM
135x15x3

DB Shrugs
75x15
85x15

I'm starting very low on the volume and weight to ease my body back into everything. My legs still don't feel underneath me, but I'm getting there.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/23 Upper

Bench
225x6x2
225x7

Meadows Rows
90x15
115x12x2

Flat DB Press
70x15 (didn't feel right)

Incline DB Press
65x10x2

Rolling Tricep Ex/Band External Rotations (mini)
30x15/15
30x12/15
30x11/15

After this, I can tell that my legs aren't completely back underneath me as I didn't have the same pop that I usually do and had to muscle the weight up more than normal. I've also implemented some of the techniques that Donnie Thompson showed us at the meet regarding humeral health and mobility and I can already tell a huge difference. Although my muscular endurance is down a lot, I can already tell a difference in recovery between sets.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Never heard of him but I just got caught up watching a bunch of suoerDTV and man, saw all kinds of mobility work I've never seen. Thanks for mentioning the guy. He seems pretty funny too. Excellent stuff.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never heard of him but I just got caught up watching a bunch of suoerDTV and man, saw all kinds of mobility work I've never seen. Thanks for mentioning the guy. He seems pretty funny too. Excellent stuff.
He's also the only person to ever break the 3000lb total.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
He's also the only person to ever break the 3000lb total.
I saw that in one of the videos. Some world record bench and squats. The guy is a monster, and he is still in good health.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw that in one of the videos. Some world record bench and squats. The guy is a monster, and he is still in good health.
He's still a monster of a man, but has lost a good amount of weight since he stopped competing. I wasn't sure what he'd be like as a person, but he was extremely nice to everyone and took pictures with everyone.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
He's still a monster of a man, but has lost a good amount of weight since he stopped competing. I wasn't sure what he'd be like as a person, but he was extremely nice to everyone and took pictures with everyone.
Thats awesome

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/24 Lower

Conventional Pulls
315x6x3
405x3

Walking DB Lunges
50x10x4

Standing Cable Crunches/DB Shrugs
110x15x3/80x15x2

DB Side Bends
70x15x2

Hypers
BW+45x15x2

I decided to go with some conventional pulls today as I haven't done them in a long time and want to attack as much as possible during this extended accumulation phase. As weird as this sounds, I really struggled finding my groove with these and didn't really lock in until the last set of 315. Unfortunately, either my belt pinched or I strained my lower abs on the last set and called it. Either way, I've found a weakness that I need to address that will not only add for some variety, it'll give my hips some extra recovery as these aren't nearly as taxing to the hips as sumo. Plus, Schwab and other sumo guys recommend implementing both. Everything else went well even though I was quite tired by the end.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not sure how I missed your log. Will be following along for sure man.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My belt pinches hard when I pull conventional. Usually it leaves bruises. I spin mine around so that the latch is in the back and get it as high on my waist as possible. I definitely agree that everyone should work their weaker deadlift variation.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you pull sumo in comp just for decreased ROM or has that always been your most comfortable pull?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I did some of the shoulder warm up today from superDTV and man that is good stuff. I had to use both my monster mini bands bc I don't have thick bands like that.

Did he show you the hip stuff he does? Have you tried it?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did some of the shoulder warm up today from superDTV and man that is good stuff. I had to use both my monster mini bands bc I don't have thick bands like that.

Did he show you the hip stuff he does? Have you tried it?
He didn't show us the hip stuff, but it's very similar to the shoulder stuff since they're very similar joints. The adjustments that the shoulder mobility has made is already making a big difference in terms of relief of my impingement of my right delt.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This showed up quietly. Subbed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/26 Upper

Wide Floor Press
225x8
245x8
265x6

DB Shoulder Press
60x15
70x10
70x8
70x8

HS Row (neutral grip)
135x15
160x10
160x10
180x10

WY/Pressdowns
15x8/90x15
15x8/90x15

Facepulls
90x15x2

I'm really starting to get my volume and intraset recovery back to where it was. Going into this next meet, I'm not going to cut back nearly as much in the accessory work to keep the GPP high and to be better prepared for the length of the meet. I kinda surprised myself on the floor press as I haven't done a wide grip on it in awhile and I wasn't expected my number to be that high.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Index on the ring wide? I'm forcing myself to keep a medium/narrow grip here on out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Index on the ring wide? I'm forcing myself to keep a medium/narrow grip here on out.
Yeah. The funny part is that the ROM on floor press is actually longer than my bench because of my arch.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/28 Lower

SSB Box Squat (+100# chain)
225x5x4

SSB GM (+100# chain)
185x10
225x10x3

Unilateral Leg Press/DB Shrugs
360x10x3/80x15x2

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Sub'd - to learn more

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In your experience, how much arch is too much? I can get a pretty excessive arch, and with pinkie on the ring (my most comfortable grip) the ROM is laughable; even without the excessive arch. It almost feels like I'm cheating when I bench...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In your experience, how much arch is too much? I can get a pretty excessive arch, and with pinkie on the ring (my most comfortable grip) the ROM is laughable; even without the excessive arch. It almost feels like I'm cheating when I bench...
Lucky

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for some learning.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for the learning

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you seen the little Russian girl? No arch is too much.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you seen the little Russian girl? No arch is too much.
Yeah I've seen it.

I wad more specifically wondering about in training, as opposed to competition. Wondering if it would be more effective to train with less of an arch than you compete with.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I've seen it.

I wad more specifically wondering about in training, as opposed to competition. Wondering if it would be more effective to train with less of an arch than you compete with.
Nah, if you want more ROM, you could always press with a cambered bar or a bow bar, or dumbbells if you don't have access to specialty bars. I would want to grease my groove as often as possible.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I've seen it.

You should always train in the manner in which you are going to compete. Whether its gear, stance, grip, etc., you should always train (and use) your competition stance and grips. That doesn't mean to stick with only one approach throughout the training cycle, but your focus should always be on building your body to peak at a competition.

This is one of the reasons I side more with Lilly in that people have gotten away from basic barbell training and replaced it with too much speciality equipment. Louie believes you don't need to pull often, but there's very few great deadlifters at Westside.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You should always train in the manner in which you are going to compete. Whether its gear, stance, grip, etc., you should always train (and use) your competition stance and grips. That doesn't mean to stick with only one approach throughout the training cycle, but your focus should always be on building your body to peak at a competition.

This is one of the reasons I side more with Lilly in that people have gotten away from basic barbell training and replaced it with too much speciality equipment. Louie believes you don't need to pull often, but there's very few great deadlifters at Westside.
As usual, I agree. Train your bench as you'll compete, then fill in with accessory work.

Minor rant, not directed at anyone here; have people totally forgotten why we do accessory work? I swear to God...we TRAIN to COMPETE in the big 3. Not in fuking accessory work. If you're not practicing training efficiency by addressing your main lift weak points, WTF are you doing?? I've never seen a huge bencher who is small, so why do people think additional hypertrophic training with zero carryover is critical??

Sorry, Rodja. I was feeling it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As usual, I agree. Train your bench as you'll compete, then fill in with accessory work.

Minor rant, not directed at anyone here; have people totally forgotten why we do accessory work? I swear to God...we TRAIN to COMPETE in the big 3. Not in fuking accessory work. If you're not practicing training efficiency by addressing your main lift weak points, WTF are you doing?? I've never seen a huge bencher who is small, so why do people think additional hypertrophic training with zero carryover is critical??

Sorry, Rodja. I was feeling it.
I'm right there with you. One of the guys we kinda train with (he's flaky and shows up 1/2 the time) does endless sets of accessory work and completely ignores the purpose of training. He PR hunts every session and doesn't listen to anyone either despite him being the least experience.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agree totally with these posts^^ The 3 lifts are trained exactly the way you will be performing them in competition so they become ingrained and instinctual. Accessories are just that: Accessories to the main lifts. These become more specific when the poundages get heavier and the weak spots become more obvious.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/30 Upper

OHP
140x8x2
140x6

Kroc Rows
145x17

HS Row (neutral grip)
135x10x3

Flat DB Presses
70x10
80x10x2

BB Curls/Dual Band Ex Rotations (mini)
85x10/15
95x8/15
95x8/15

Tate Press/Pullaparts (mini)
35x15/15
35x15/15

Side Laterals
25x20x2

I was definitely feeling it today. From the moment I stepped into the gym, I felt locked in and primed to ramp up some volume. I had more in me on OHP, but the shoulder was felling cranky (it was like this all day) and didn't want to do anything stupid. Everything else went smoothly and I'm really focusing on strengthening/stabilizing my shoulder girdle, hence all the volume that was shoulder oriented. I still haven't broken my Kroc row record of 17, but that WILL change in May.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's definetly the best feeling. Mentality can make or break a session for me.

I may have to see what I can whip up for Kroc Rows. I don't think I've gone past 130

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
edit: making a thread somewhere else. This is a log.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing better than walking in the gym and feeling great. You running any supplements right now Rodja?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Those Kroc Row numbers are huge man. Solid freaking workout volume too.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Straps or no on the Krocs?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing better than walking in the gym and feeling great. You running any supplements right now Rodja?
I'm using Erase Pro, Alphamine, Enhanced, and cruising on E.
Those Kroc Row numbers are huge man. Solid freaking workout volume too.
I'm glad to be able to get my base back so quickly and able to get back to ramp up the volume.
Straps or no on the Krocs?
Straps. I figure doing roughly 2/3 of my BW for rows warrants using straps.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Straps. I figure doing roughly 2/3 of my BW for rows warrants using straps.
Hahaha. I can't say I disagree with you there. I did Krocs once upon a time, but I'm not in that neighborhood. I need to be to keep upright during squats and finish off my sumo pulls.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the weekly cruising speed?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is enough to keep your levels up?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is enough to keep your levels up?
I'm not a heavy user. I've only jumped above 500 on two occasions and didn't notice a difference in terms of strength. For this one, I'm going to try a different approach with the PEDs as I hate the cardio killing sides of tren and won't be using it again.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, I was just curious as to how 200 was enough to provide benefit when you are suppressing your natural production and only bringing in 200. This area is totally foreign for me and will be until I possibly end up on TRT.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, I was just curious as to how 200 was enough to provide benefit when you are suppressing your natural production and only bringing in 200. This area is totally foreign for me and will be until I possibly end up on TRT.
250 has been my cruise dose for awhile now and I may keep this dose throughout and use other compounds for strength. I haven't decided yet, but I'll likely use 1T cyp and NPP or dbol.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/2 Lower

Sumo
315x5x5

Oly Squat
135x10x2
225x8x2

Walking DB lunges
55x12x3

Standing Cable Crunches
110x15
120x15
130x12

Hypers/Donkey Calf Raises
BWx15/180x15
BWx15/240x15
BWx15/240x15

My pulls are really off right now since I'm going raw for a little. Between the lack of groin support and the narrower stance, my technique doesn't feel quite right.