16 Weeks to APF TX Challenge

Page 2 of 16 First 1234 ... Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

Yeah I've seen it.

I wad more specifically wondering about in training, as opposed to competition. Wondering if it would be more effective to train with less of an arch than you compete with.
    Nah, if you want more ROM, you could always press with a cambered bar or a bow bar, or dumbbells if you don't have access to specialty bars. I would want to grease my groove as often as possible.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

2. Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick View Post

Yeah I've seen it.

I wad more specifically wondering about in training, as opposed to competition. Wondering if it would be more effective to train with less of an arch than you compete with.
    You should always train in the manner in which you are going to compete. Whether its gear, stance, grip, etc., you should always train (and use) your competition stance and grips. That doesn't mean to stick with only one approach throughout the training cycle, but your focus should always be on building your body to peak at a competition.

This is one of the reasons I side more with Lilly in that people have gotten away from basic barbell training and replaced it with too much speciality equipment. Louie believes you don't need to pull often, but there's very few great deadlifters at Westside.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You should always train in the manner in which you are going to compete. Whether its gear, stance, grip, etc., you should always train (and use) your competition stance and grips. That doesn't mean to stick with only one approach throughout the training cycle, but your focus should always be on building your body to peak at a competition.

This is one of the reasons I side more with Lilly in that people have gotten away from basic barbell training and replaced it with too much speciality equipment. Louie believes you don't need to pull often, but there's very few great deadlifters at Westside.
    As usual, I agree. Train your bench as you'll compete, then fill in with accessory work.

Minor rant, not directed at anyone here; have people totally forgotten why we do accessory work? I swear to God...we TRAIN to COMPETE in the big 3. Not in fuking accessory work. If you're not practicing training efficiency by addressing your main lift weak points, WTF are you doing?? I've never seen a huge bencher who is small, so why do people think additional hypertrophic training with zero carryover is critical??

Sorry, Rodja. I was feeling it.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    As usual, I agree. Train your bench as you'll compete, then fill in with accessory work.

Minor rant, not directed at anyone here; have people totally forgotten why we do accessory work? I swear to God...we TRAIN to COMPETE in the big 3. Not in fuking accessory work. If you're not practicing training efficiency by addressing your main lift weak points, WTF are you doing?? I've never seen a huge bencher who is small, so why do people think additional hypertrophic training with zero carryover is critical??

Sorry, Rodja. I was feeling it.
    I'm right there with you. One of the guys we kinda train with (he's flaky and shows up 1/2 the time) does endless sets of accessory work and completely ignores the purpose of training. He PR hunts every session and doesn't listen to anyone either despite him being the least experience.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. Agree totally with these posts^^ The 3 lifts are trained exactly the way you will be performing them in competition so they become ingrained and instinctual. Accessories are just that: Accessories to the main lifts. These become more specific when the poundages get heavier and the weak spots become more obvious.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
    •   

6. 4/30 Upper

OHP
    140x8x2
    140x6

Kroc Rows
    145x17

HS Row (neutral grip)
    135x10x3

Flat DB Presses
    70x10
    80x10x2

BB Curls/Dual Band Ex Rotations (mini)
    85x10/15
    95x8/15
    95x8/15

Tate Press/Pullaparts (mini)
    35x15/15
    35x15/15

Side Laterals
    25x20x2

I was definitely feeling it today. From the moment I stepped into the gym, I felt locked in and primed to ramp up some volume. I had more in me on OHP, but the shoulder was felling cranky (it was like this all day) and didn't want to do anything stupid. Everything else went smoothly and I'm really focusing on strengthening/stabilizing my shoulder girdle, hence all the volume that was shoulder oriented. I still haven't broken my Kroc row record of 17, but that WILL change in May.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

7. That's definetly the best feeling. Mentality can make or break a session for me.

I may have to see what I can whip up for Kroc Rows. I don't think I've gone past 130
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

8. edit: making a thread somewhere else. This is a log.

9. Nothing better than walking in the gym and feeling great. You running any supplements right now Rodja?
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

10. Those Kroc Row numbers are huge man. Solid freaking workout volume too.
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

11. Straps or no on the Krocs?
    Training log:

12. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Nothing better than walking in the gym and feeling great. You running any supplements right now Rodja?
    I'm using Erase Pro, Alphamine, Enhanced, and cruising on E.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Those Kroc Row numbers are huge man. Solid freaking workout volume too.
    I'm glad to be able to get my base back so quickly and able to get back to ramp up the volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Straps or no on the Krocs?
    Straps. I figure doing roughly 2/3 of my BW for rows warrants using straps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Straps. I figure doing roughly 2/3 of my BW for rows warrants using straps.
    Hahaha. I can't say I disagree with you there. I did Krocs once upon a time, but I'm not in that neighborhood. I need to be to keep upright during squats and finish off my sumo pulls.
    Training log:

14. What's the weekly cruising speed?

15. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    What's the weekly cruising speed?
    250 until June.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

16. That is enough to keep your levels up?

17. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    That is enough to keep your levels up?
    I'm not a heavy user. I've only jumped above 500 on two occasions and didn't notice a difference in terms of strength. For this one, I'm going to try a different approach with the PEDs as I hate the cardio killing sides of tren and won't be using it again.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

18. Ok, I was just curious as to how 200 was enough to provide benefit when you are suppressing your natural production and only bringing in 200. This area is totally foreign for me and will be until I possibly end up on TRT.

19. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Ok, I was just curious as to how 200 was enough to provide benefit when you are suppressing your natural production and only bringing in 200. This area is totally foreign for me and will be until I possibly end up on TRT.
    250 has been my cruise dose for awhile now and I may keep this dose throughout and use other compounds for strength. I haven't decided yet, but I'll likely use 1T cyp and NPP or dbol.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

20. 5/2 Lower

Sumo
    315x5x5

Oly Squat
    135x10x2
    225x8x2

Walking DB lunges
    55x12x3

Standing Cable Crunches
    110x15
    120x15
    130x12

Hypers/Donkey Calf Raises
    BWx15/180x15
    BWx15/240x15
    BWx15/240x15

My pulls are really off right now since I'm going raw for a little. Between the lack of groin support and the narrower stance, my technique doesn't feel quite right.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

21. When do you plan on getting back into gear?
    [email protected]

22. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    When do you plan on getting back into gear?
    I'll probably throw on suit bottoms in a few weeks, but not sure on the shirt and full gear.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

23. 5/4 Upper

Close Grip Bench (+200# chain)
    135x5x2
    155x2
    135x5

2-Board Close Grip (+120# chain)
    135x10x3

Pullups
    BWx6x5

Tate Press/Pullaparts (mini)
    40x12x4/15x4

Band External Rotations (mini)
    15x3

We got a TX Power Bar and used it for the first time on this day. We were all in a "do something stupid" mood and decided to use all the chain we had on us despite the fact that none of us are strong enough raw benchers for 200# of chain. Nobody got hurt and we're far out enough that now is the time to do something stupid. I'm still hitting a lot of volume on shoulder/RC work and will keep this up for at least until the end of June.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

24. The "stupid" days are always the most fun.
    [email protected]

25. Sounds like stupid fun to me haha
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

26. Agreed, and often it's trying something dumb that opens your eyes to new methods or you surprise yourself by your own strength.
    Training log:

27. It felt weird to use that much chain, but it was a nice change of pace from my normal accumulation stuff.

5/5 Lower

Oly-style Squat
    225x5x2
    275x5x2
    315x3

Cambered GM
    135x15x3

Unilateral LP/DB Shrugs
    360x15/80x15
    450x12/80x15
    540x10/90x10

I'm starting to find my groove on Oly-style squats and it's definitely something I'll keep in the rotation to spare my hips. I might use some loose briefs on them for overload, but will keep the same stance and depth. They slightly irritate my right knee, but nothing major and it's probably just a sign of weakness in the area. It looks like I will be bringing back gear the week of 6/3 and I might be switching some stuff around, but nothing definitive yet.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

28. Chucks or oly shoes for the oly squats?

Lilly's shirted template is calling for ME floor press with 3 chains...I'll see how that goes.
    [email protected]

29. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Chucks or oly shoes for the oly squats?

Lilly's shirted template is calling for ME floor press with 3 chains...I'll see how that goes.
    Chuck's.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

30. 5/6 Upper

OHP
    135x8
    145x6
    145x5
    135x9

Kroc Rows
    145x19 PR!

Incline DB Press
    70x10x2
    80x7

Rolling Ex/Side Laterals
    35x10x3/35x12x3

Facepulls/DB Curls/Pullaparts (mini)
    100x10/45x8/15
    100x10/45x7/15

I'm really hitting my stride and getting everything back to full bore. I finally set a new PR on Kroc's after setting my mind that I would do so on this day. One thing I have really noticed is the weakness in my right biceps and I have to fix that as I know it is a partial culprit to my impingement.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 10 weeks to APF TX State
    By Rodja in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 07-21-2013, 08:18 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 12:42 AM
  4. Replies: 28