My "Attempt at Westside" Log

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi all,
This log will serve to track my progress and also to learn from others with more experience in this style of training.
I've been training religiously for almost ten years now, the first nine years of which were spent bodybuilding/Greco-Roman wrestling training (leaning toward bodybuilding). This year, I realized that I preferred the tangible goals of powerlifting to the more abstract ones of bodybuilding. I also enjoy moving (relatively) large weights. Most of this year I have based my program on compound movements for low reps, and after doing a lot of reading and lurking, I have decided to attempt Westside training. I have read and reread as many of Louie's articles as I can get my hands on, as I have done with technique videos on youtube. I feel my understanding of body positioning from wrestling in high school and college, along with my training experience, will allow me to do this, but I'd like your help with any comments noted in my programming.
Enough talk, here are my current maxes (all within the past month):
Squat 455
Bench 350 raw, 385 in the cheapo Inzer Blast shirt
Deadlift 465 Conventional (I am working toward sumo, being 5'8" and 220 with a 73" reach, but am currently too weak in the hams)

Thanks for viewing, I hope you enjoy.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
12/26 ME Upper
Bench
45x5
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
295x1 put on shirt
295x1
315x1
335x1
365x1 (probably the most difficult rep of my life)

DB Shoulder Press (already toasted)
70x15
70x12
70x12

Tate Press
30x12x4 (WeightxRepsxSets)

Pullups
BWx10x3

Pendlay Rows with hold at top, replicating bench grip
135x12x4

Ab Wheel (kneeling)
12x4

Bench was weird, warming up felt more painful than the sets above 225. Lost tightness at 365, which resulted in a hellacious effort that had me seeing more stars than usual and laying on the bench helpless for a minute. I need more GPP badly. First time trying the Tate press, and I like it. Need to keep the effort up for the whole workout next time, but I gave it all I had. DE Lower on Friday.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
12/28 DE Lower

Box Squat
275x2x8
Added and subtracted ~80# chains based on speed of previous set. Speed was very inconsistent.

Sumo Speed Pulls
275x1x5 +80# chains)
Conversely, speed was my best ever for these. Truly studied the setup, watched video of myself, and got to do them in a mirror. I see a big PR coming soon.

Sumo Deadlift PR attempts stemming from high confidence
315x1
405x1 PR+40

GHR with a wimpy band of unknown tension
BW+Bandx6x3

Spun around on the GHR machine to do reverse hypers with the same wimpy band.
BW+Bandx10x3

Squats were inconsistent today because I'm tweaking my stance for the long haul. My current max squats are all done with a slightly less than shoulder width stance and a high bar. I'm waking up some lagging glutes by moving the bar down. The result was me being slow off of the box and accelerating from the midpoint to the top. The last set I finally pushed my butt back and it felt really good. Just going to keep plugging away at it. Everything else felt really strong today. DE Upper on Sunday.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
12/30 DE Upper

Speed Bench (Two grips, pinkie on the ring, pointer on the ring)
210x3x8 + 20# of chain (still collecting chains for the home gym)

CG Bench with pause
225x12x4

Side laterals
30x8x4

Barbell rows
175x12x4

Pullups
BWx10,6,6 (haven't been good at these in a long time. Might start doing them every session.)

Notes: I had a ****ty time controlling 60% of my max at top speed, anybody who is out there feel free to chime in on whether I should sacrifice speed to tighten up form? Or do I keep top speed, sack up, and just be better at it? I have to say that my tolerance for lactic acid has dwindled to almost nil since I switched to the lower rep ranges. I don't like it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/1 ME Lower

SSB Squat
65x6
155x5
205x5
245x3
295x2
335x1
385x1 removed box
395x1 added knee wraps
405x0,1 PR

Glute Bridges
Barx12
Bar+90x10
Bar+180x2x8

GHR
BWx12,8,7,6

Reverse Hyper
BWx4x12

KB Swings
88x4x12

Kneeling Ab Wheel
4x12

Notes: First time doing max effort SSB work. Last rep off of box and both free reps were big grinds. Hit the safety catches the first attempt at 405 and it was game over. First time with the glute bridges, too. Need to toughen up the area where the bar rests so I can work with more volume. Really hammered the entire posterior chain today, I'm giving it no choice but to become stronger. ME Upper tomorrow. Weight is steadily drifting up from holiday foods. Trying to work down to 198, currently sitting at 221.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
12/30 DE Upper

Speed Bench (Two grips, pinkie on the ring, pointer on the ring)
210x3x8 + 20# of chain (still collecting chains for the home gym)

CG Bench with pause
225x12x4

Side laterals
30x8x4

Barbell rows
175x12x4

Pullups
BWx10,6,6 (haven't been good at these in a long time. Might start doing them every session.)

Notes: I had a ****ty time controlling 60% of my max at top speed, anybody who is out there feel free to chime in on whether I should sacrifice speed to tighten up form? Or do I keep top speed, sack up, and just be better at it? I have to say that my tolerance for lactic acid has dwindled to almost nil since I switched to the lower rep ranges. I don't like it.
Lower the weight if you can't keep speed and technique.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lower the weight if you can't keep speed and technique.
Much appreciated. I will do that. I've noticed that the 50-60% of 1RM was an older protocol and it's my understanding that lower percentages are now used. What are your thoughts on using 40-50% 1RM? I'm very confident that I'll be able to improve my technique as I continue to put the time in.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed. Here to see how you run this and progress.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Much appreciated. I will do that. I've noticed that the 50-60% of 1RM was an older protocol and it's my understanding that lower percentages are now used. What are your thoughts on using 40-50% 1RM? I'm very confident that I'll be able to improve my technique as I continue to put the time in.
DE recommendations are not static and they vary for the raw and geared lifter. Raw tends to be a heavier percentage (60-70%) while geared is anywhere from 40-60%.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Regardless of the weight I'm using, I do need to tighten up. I'm happy with the speed of it. I'll do at least one wave of straight weight to make up for the loss of control.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If this is your first time using Westside, I'd multiple waves of straight weight before adding any accommodating resistance.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When you put it that way, it sounds very logical.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/2 ME Upper

Floor Presses
45x2x5
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x1 then put on shirt
295x1
315x1
335x1 PR
345xFAIL. HARD.

CG 3-Board Press
225x4x12

Standing Overhead Press
95x4x15

DB Rows
100x12,10,10

Ring Pullups
BWx6,4,3

Tate Press
40x3x12

Facepulls
70x3x15

Was thoroughly worn out by the end of this session. The 345 floor press attempt was the first time I whiffed with my shirt. I lost all semblance of back tightness and bar path. Luckily, the rack was set just below the bottom of my ROM, or I'd have had a face improvement, free of charge. I'm going to emphasize pullups for the forseeable future. Also tried to wrap a pseudo Fat Grip for my DB rows, but it made the DB 3+ inches in circumference and I only got three reps. I'll try again with a lighter dumbbell next session.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/4 DE Lower

Pullups
BWx2x12

Box Squat
275x6x2

Speed Pulls
315x4x1

Reverse Hyper
BWx4x6

GHR
BW+light band (weight unknown)x4x6

Cable Crunches
120x4x12

Definitely need to adjust my dynamic effort to be a percentage of my BOX squat max instead of my squat max. Form was fine, as good as it's been. Speed was lacking, though. It's always the same: slow off the box with good acceleration. The pulls were god-awful. From here on out, the weights will be much lower for all speed work. Conditioning must continue to improve as well, as I was absolutely gassed throughout the squats and pulls.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/6 DE Upper

Speed Bench
140+60chainx12x3 (3 grips)

JM Press
135x12
155x3x10

Tate Press
40x2x8

DB Row
100x4x15

Log Press
165x4x6

Band Pullaparts

Facepulls
70x3x12

Good speed, good groove. Definitely a good decision to lower the DE weight. Really hammered the triceps on this day, which was needed.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/7 ME Lower

Sumo Suspended GMs (paused on the rack, bent knees at bottom for max overload)
Worked up to 275x3

GHR
BW+bandx5x8

Reverse Hyper
BW+bandx5x6

Back Extension (took glutes out to focus on erectors)
Bandx5x12

Roman Chair
BW+45x5x12

First ME Good Morning session. Really far behind on those. I'll be catching up on them in the upcoming weeks to give my hips a break and improve my deadlift. Bands took about 80lbs from the bottom of the GMs. Really focused on the posterior chain from neck to knees, as that's where I need the work. Both yesterday and today I cranked up both the volume and the pace. Both sessions were completed in under an hour. I WILL become conditioned even if it kills me.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/9 ME Upper

Floor Press
Worked up to 275+60# chains for two sets
295x1
305x1

Tate Press
35x5x15

Pseudo-Fat Grip DB rows
70x4x10

Pullups SS w/ SOHP

BWx10/95x12
BWx10/95x10
BWx6/95x8
BWx6/95x8

Lateral Raises
25x4x12

All floor presses were done raw, and the chained and straight weight presses were both PRs. Chained floor press was hellacious at 275, both were long-ass grinds. After hitting 305 I was thoroughly satisfied. The weight usually moves upward pretty quickly in all of my flat bench variations. I never miss on the positive portion, it is always a collapse on the negative, sometimes minor, sometimes spectacular. "Fat Grip" rows were done by wrapping some sort of gel pad around the dumbbell handle. It's a huge circumference and I'm happy with how I did. I've noticed that all huge benchers have bowling ball forearms. I want that.

Also, yesterday I was putzing around in the gym spotting my friend and doing some light accesories when I saw my former manager at G N C squatting WAY high with 420. So I stepped in, unracked it, took it to the floor as a demonstration, and absolutely blasted the rep. It seems the conjugate system is already yielding gains in the squat, judging by how I dominated ~92% of my 1RM.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/10 DE Lower

DE Box Squat
185x2x12

Sumo Speed Pulls
185x1x6

BB Lunges
135x6x2 glute/ham tweak on rep one of set three

Hammer Strength Horizontal Leg Press
4 platesx6x5

Back Extensions (all erectors)
BWx20x5

Good session except for the tweak. I'm getting better at the box squats every week. Everything flew except for the last rep of pulls. I haven't done lunges of any sort since September, and those were walking lunges. The stationary lunges with (relatively) heavy weight make me question why I ever abandoned them. They're so good! Shifted gears after the setback. Leg press was the first dedicated quad exercise I've done in some time, felt good. The next two ME days will be spent setting big PRs in front squats to ease up on the back end. Really enjoying the program, I feel big things coming.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/13 Sunday Fun Day

Came in with full intentions on doing speed bench, but after considerable foam rolling, I left myself with a half hour to train. I felt strong and had a good workout, though.

Ring Pull-Ups
BWx10,6

Bench
275+60chainx4
315x6 PR
365x0

Butt came off of the bench and random spotter told me he touched it. I was damn close to a big 15lb raw PR. Stability 2in from my chest was the issue, as always.

Stability bench
Bar+88lbs of suspended KBx6x4

Superset with Bottom-Up KB OHP
30x6,6,6,10

Tate Press
50x12
60x7

DB Bench (Neutral Grip)
100x10

Good day. Hammered stability in the delt region. My nemesis in staying tight is usually shoulder or brachialis pain. Didn't realize how intense KB presses are on the grip, so I welcome the challenge. Basically today I did all the hard stuff that made me look like a beotch, but not before I showed off a little.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid bench, I'm jealous
Thanks, man. I appreciate it. For a very long time, I put bench performance ahead of athletic performance. Especially considering that in my sport of choice, both shoulders touching means you lose. I was decent at it for awhile, but I've watched "so you think you can bench" more times than I can count lately. I'm really good at repping out heavy weight, but with my nagging shoulder issues, I've been SQUISHED by as little as 275 at times.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's how I was the other day. Heavy OHP jacked my shoulder and I barely got 275 off my chest-when my intended goal was 7 lol sucked

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I miss high school, when PRs could be set for weeks on end. I've discussed this with my friends, who out-bench me weighing 175 and 205. We've agreed that the dynamic really changes as the weight moved goes up. For an example 90% of my max when my max was 275 is nowhere near the same as 90% of my max now. Miss by a little bit, and your forked.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/14 ME Lower

Free Squat (3RM)
315x9
365x5
405x3 PR

Rack Pulls
275x3
225x5 both huge piss-offs

GHR
BW+bandx6x2
BWx10x3

Glue Bridges
135x10x5

Kneeling Ab Wheel (wheel is spring loaded for weaklings like me)
BWx20,20,18,12

Elliptical Baby Tabata
3min warmup, 6 rounds of 20on/10off, 4min cooldown

After hearing all of the Cube discussion, I got to seeing everything I could find on Mr. Lilly. I realized that a huge hole in my game is that I break off into doing singles at a relatively light weight in all of my Big Three, and have been doing so for a long time. Today, I wasn't leaving without a rep PR. My previous best was 385x2, and yes, I know that sucks compared to my one rep exploits. The 405x3 still is weak sauce, but it is my best ever. The first and third reps were smooth, the second one came up and forward and caused a tough rep. After that, I was absolutely wiped out, which caused much frustration, hence the Tabata.

Poll Question: Can HIIT serve as GPP, or is it more specifically heavy intervals? (E.g. farmer's walks, tire flips, prowler pushes)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/16 DE Upper

Bench (3 grips)
205x3x6

Pullups (3 grips)
BW+40x5x3
BWx10,8,5

Standing Overhead
155x6x4

Tate Presses
60x6x3
60x8

Speed and technique was good on the bench. Best sets were with the max legal grip. Unfortunately, that's way too wide for my shoulders at heavy weight. Pleasantly surprised by the pull-ups today, but they still need work.
My lower back (not sure what, definitely not muscular) has been absolutly killing me for a couple weeks, and it's bordering on unbearable. The last straw was it becoming an issue on an upper day. I plan on seeing the doctor as soon as I can and in the meantime will be taking up to two weeks off, depending on how it feels. It's really frustrating to have this happen now. The system is going so well for me. Hopefully I won't lose much and rest will be the cure.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bench bothers my back far more than squats or deads. When's the last time you did some unilateral thigh work (e.g. Bulgarian split squats, walking lunges, etc.)?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did lunges a week ago. The last time I consistently did unilateral leg work was September or October, when we could go outside to do walking lunges. I definitely noticed that I need to include lunges after last week. They work well for me. I've tried split squats, but I've never really committed to them. I think I'm doing them poorly.
Why do you ask?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did lunges a week ago. The last time I consistently did unilateral leg work was September or October, when we could go outside to do walking lunges. I definitely noticed that I need to include lunges after last week. They work well for me. I've tried split squats, but I've never really committed to them. I think I'm doing them poorly.
Why do you ask?
A lack of unilateral work will result in tight hips because you're not stretching out the glute med/min.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My hips do feel like shyt, even with lots of foam rolling and a less aggressive squat stance. In fact, my hips feel terrible right now from benching. What are your thoughts on a two or three week minicycle of unilateral-only lower body to give my back a break and loosen up my hips?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My hips do feel like shyt, even with lots of foam rolling and a less aggressive squat stance. In fact, my hips feel terrible right now from benching. What are your thoughts on a two or three week minicycle of unilateral-only lower body to give my back a break and loosen up my hips?
It should help to loosen them up, but remember to maintain after that. I usually do them at least once every 2-3 weeks, but, in your case, I'd recommend more frequency since you're a raw lifter.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = Q a _ j f j V u f n A

w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = C -g h w f p 1 A I 4

w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = c 1 r d n F K k K S o

Remove the spaces and you have a video.

These are the first three sets of DE bench I did on Wednesday. It's 205 straight weight. Anything you notice would be appreciated. One thing I saw right off the bat was I'm not as sturdy as I thought I was, and the narrow grip sucked, I couldn't spread the bar or sufficiently tuck my elbows.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're nice and tight throughout the lift. My only concern would be that your feet are too far back and might limit leg drive at max weights. You don't want to be all the way on your toes, but a shift towards the ball of the foot is plenty. You've got a hell of an arch and that will only benefit you. Try to get a video of 85-90% up as well to see where you start to lose technique or where your current weaknesses in the chain exist.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the assessment. I wondered if my feet were too far back. I'm still trying to find where to place my feet so I can drive to the max while keeping my ass on the bench. I've got overzealous on foot placement here and forgot the main goal at hand.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the assessment. I wondered if my feet were too far back. I'm still trying to find where to place my feet so I can drive to the max while keeping my ass on the bench. I've got overzealous on foot placement here and forgot the main goal at hand.
Your upper body is 100% picture perfect and your lower body tightness is exactly where it needs to be. Foot placement will come with time and remember to take in big air into your belly before you start your set.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My second three sets were much tighter and faster because I remembered to hold my air for all three reps. That was a mistake I made that I had forgotten about. I usually remember to get my air because it shortens my ROM close to an inch. On lighter sets of floor press before I lose some arch (~245), I can touch.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey, I took those videos.
Finally you're in here! You were close enough to smell the greatness, man. I deleted the deadlift video out of embarrassment.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/18 Rehab Day 1

DB Bench
70x20
80x15
90x15
100x12x2

CG Incline Press
135x15
155x12,10

Dip Machine
3 platesx15,15,20

JM Press
135x8
135+chainx6

Ab Wheel (standing for 6, drop to knees, rep out)
3 sets of 20

Standing DB Side Bends
100x12x2

Lunges
Barx20
65x20
85x12 (fatigue)
95x6

Longer session than I wanted today. The first part I was working with a friend and a guy he's showing the ropes while they did chest/tri. It was still good assistance work, I just visualize as if I'm benching, but I didn't arch today. The ab work coupled with the lunges really helped my back tremendously. Best it's felt in almost a month. Hips felt amazing, too. Lunges were done with the longest step forward possible, then brought down until the knee just touches. Big stretch.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/22 Deadlift Work

Rack pulls (2" off ground at most)
Worked up to 315x8
365x6

Romanian DL
225x12x3

I may have found my DL indicator. I've severely neglected these. My best ever set for Romanians was 365x6 and was consistently good for 245x15x4. These are going to make a huge comeback.

Pendlay Rows
185x6x3

Another exercise I have neglected is the barbell row. I've been doing exclusively dumbbell rows, and I think they have led to a better bench. I think the barbell rows will help my deadlift more, and they will also be coming back.

Ab Wheel
BWx20x3

First 6 standing, last 14 kneeling. The standing was made possible because the wheel has a little rebound effect and I didn't fully extend, just went maybe 8-10" past pushup position)

DB Side Bends
100x20x3

Back Extensions
BW+45x20x3

Really got my confidence back with this session. The ab and glute focus and rediscovery of two former favorites made my back feel its best in almost a month. I think using the Cube Method is going to help break up the back work into two sessions, one for bench and one for deadlift. I also like the deadlift day focus because it's the weak link in my total, and I will remedy that.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1/23 Bench (with video)

Bench
315x2
Pinkie on the ring, more comfortable foot placement. Could have possibly gotten more reps, but my spotter was behind the camera. Hopefully the video has enough quality that we can make observations. While we didn't catch the unrack, I felt really good with it, making sure to pull it out with my lats and quickly rotate my elbows in.
h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = A r 6 f 6 H I 6 m G A

Tate Press
70x6 PR
65x6x2

Standing DB Press
80x6x3

Strict DB Row
100x12,8,6

Pullups (3 grips)
Neutral BWx12
Wide Prone BWx8
Supine BWx8

Another video, this one is my next-to-last PR on bench, hitting 345 in November. Ring finger on the rings (my shoulders like my current grip better)
h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = b h I m 7 K z d y B o

Racquetball games with Lamonster for GPP.

Weight is down to 214. I'm competing at 198 and I'll be starting Dynamic Formulas' M-Stane 4 weeks out (fingers crossed it's legit, I've seen some horror stories). By my estimate, this means I need to be ~195-200 by March. I know with supreme certainty that I can successfully cut and recover as long as I wake up under 210 the morning of weigh ins. It's not my first rodeo in that regard.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good push man. You have an awesome arch. We're the same size, I got to step up my game!! Looking forward to your results.

Good man AZ

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for that, AZ! Much appreciated.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good push man. You have an awesome arch. We're the same size, I got to step up my game!! Looking forward to your results.

Good man AZ
The arch is just a product of masochism and dilligent foam rolling, man. Get after it!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While it's a PR, it's definitely not your 1RM. You've got a 405 bench press in your near future.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
405 would be an awesome lift. What other tips do you have? All I've really read/watched is 'so you think you can bench' and anything written by Tate or Wendler on benching...and Rodja

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
Herder hows your shoulder from playing ball. My right is absolutely trashed, feels like a threw 9 innimgs

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
Nah same area code. We used to train in our buddy's house, hence the pictures looking similar. Haha

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
lol gotcha, I seen the profile pics before and had wondered