My "Attempt at Westside" Log

Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last

1. w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = Q a _ j f j V u f n A

w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = C -g h w f p 1 A I 4

w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = c 1 r d n F K k K S o

Remove the spaces and you have a video.

These are the first three sets of DE bench I did on Wednesday. It's 205 straight weight. Anything you notice would be appreciated. One thing I saw right off the bat was I'm not as sturdy as I thought I was, and the narrow grip sucked, I couldn't spread the bar or sufficiently tuck my elbows.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240172-herders-2014-log.html

2. You're nice and tight throughout the lift. My only concern would be that your feet are too far back and might limit leg drive at max weights. You don't want to be all the way on your toes, but a shift towards the ball of the foot is plenty. You've got a hell of an arch and that will only benefit you. Try to get a video of 85-90% up as well to see where you start to lose technique or where your current weaknesses in the chain exist.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

3. Thanks for the assessment. I wondered if my feet were too far back. I'm still trying to find where to place my feet so I can drive to the max while keeping my ass on the bench. I've got overzealous on foot placement here and forgot the main goal at hand.
    Training log:

4. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Thanks for the assessment. I wondered if my feet were too far back. I'm still trying to find where to place my feet so I can drive to the max while keeping my ass on the bench. I've got overzealous on foot placement here and forgot the main goal at hand.
    Your upper body is 100% picture perfect and your lower body tightness is exactly where it needs to be. Foot placement will come with time and remember to take in big air into your belly before you start your set.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. My second three sets were much tighter and faster because I remembered to hold my air for all three reps. That was a mistake I made that I had forgotten about. I usually remember to get my air because it shortens my ROM close to an inch. On lighter sets of floor press before I lose some arch (~245), I can touch.
    Training log:
    •   

6. Hey, I took those videos.

7. Quote Originally Posted by lamonster14 View Post
    Hey, I took those videos.
    Finally you're in here! You were close enough to smell the greatness, man. I deleted the deadlift video out of embarrassment.
    Training log:

8. 1/18 Rehab Day 1

DB Bench
    70x20
    80x15
    90x15
    100x12x2

CG Incline Press
    135x15
    155x12,10

Dip Machine
    3 platesx15,15,20

JM Press
    135x8
    135+chainx6

Ab Wheel (standing for 6, drop to knees, rep out)
    3 sets of 20

Standing DB Side Bends
    100x12x2

Lunges
    Barx20
    65x20
    85x12 (fatigue)
    95x6

Longer session than I wanted today. The first part I was working with a friend and a guy he's showing the ropes while they did chest/tri. It was still good assistance work, I just visualize as if I'm benching, but I didn't arch today. The ab work coupled with the lunges really helped my back tremendously. Best it's felt in almost a month. Hips felt amazing, too. Lunges were done with the longest step forward possible, then brought down until the knee just touches. Big stretch.
    Training log:

9. 1/22 Deadlift Work

Rack pulls (2" off ground at most)
    Worked up to 315x8
    365x6

Romanian DL
    225x12x3

I may have found my DL indicator. I've severely neglected these. My best ever set for Romanians was 365x6 and was consistently good for 245x15x4. These are going to make a huge comeback.

Pendlay Rows
    185x6x3

Another exercise I have neglected is the barbell row. I've been doing exclusively dumbbell rows, and I think they have led to a better bench. I think the barbell rows will help my deadlift more, and they will also be coming back.

Ab Wheel
    BWx20x3

First 6 standing, last 14 kneeling. The standing was made possible because the wheel has a little rebound effect and I didn't fully extend, just went maybe 8-10" past pushup position)

DB Side Bends
    100x20x3

Back Extensions
    BW+45x20x3

Really got my confidence back with this session. The ab and glute focus and rediscovery of two former favorites made my back feel its best in almost a month. I think using the Cube Method is going to help break up the back work into two sessions, one for bench and one for deadlift. I also like the deadlift day focus because it's the weak link in my total, and I will remedy that.
    Training log:

10. 1/23 Bench (with video)

Bench
    315x2
    Pinkie on the ring, more comfortable foot placement. Could have possibly gotten more reps, but my spotter was behind the camera. Hopefully the video has enough quality that we can make observations. While we didn't catch the unrack, I felt really good with it, making sure to pull it out with my lats and quickly rotate my elbows in.
    h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = A r 6 f 6 H I 6 m G A

Tate Press
    70x6 PR
    65x6x2

Standing DB Press
    80x6x3

Strict DB Row
    100x12,8,6

Pullups (3 grips)
    Neutral BWx12
    Wide Prone BWx8
    Supine BWx8

Another video, this one is my next-to-last PR on bench, hitting 345 in November. Ring finger on the rings (my shoulders like my current grip better)
    h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = b h I m 7 K z d y B o

Racquetball games with Lamonster for GPP.

Weight is down to 214. I'm competing at 198 and I'll be starting Dynamic Formulas' M-Stane 4 weeks out (fingers crossed it's legit, I've seen some horror stories). By my estimate, this means I need to be ~195-200 by March. I know with supreme certainty that I can successfully cut and recover as long as I wake up under 210 the morning of weigh ins. It's not my first rodeo in that regard.
    Training log:

11. Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

12. Good push man. You have an awesome arch. We're the same size, I got to step up my game!! Looking forward to your results.

Good man AZ
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    [email protected]
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

13. Thanks for that, AZ! Much appreciated.
    Training log:

14. Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    Good push man. You have an awesome arch. We're the same size, I got to step up my game!! Looking forward to your results.

Good man AZ
    The arch is just a product of masochism and dilligent foam rolling, man. Get after it!
    Training log:

15. While it's a PR, it's definitely not your 1RM. You've got a 405 bench press in your near future.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

16. 405 would be an awesome lift. What other tips do you have? All I've really read/watched is 'so you think you can bench' and anything written by Tate or Wendler on benching...and Rodja
    [email protected]

17. Herder hows your shoulder from playing ball. My right is absolutely trashed, feels like a threw 9 innimgs

18. are u guys in the same house lol
    [email protected]

19. Nah same area code. We used to train in our buddy's house, hence the pictures looking similar. Haha

20. lol gotcha, I seen the profile pics before and had wondered
    [email protected]

21. Rodja, I have yet to fail on the upward motion of a bench press. It always comes on the descent. I lower it under control, then lose control about 3-4 inches from my chest. It crashes into my chest and I can't reverse the bar. I know for a fact I could hit 365 right now, but I don't yet know how to keep the higher weights from crushing me.

Ant, my shoulder is peachy. I didn't try to break the ball in half like you did, though. My knee has a scrape, that's the extent of my injuries.

Sean, my only real tips are things that Tate would say. Things I focus on during the lift are tucking my elbows, spreading the bar, and driving with my feet. As far as training, I have really strong triceps and delts. I can do 30 dips weighing 230, I've done dips with 100lbs on a belt and I've done strict overheads 205x6. I don't have to press very far because I have a big ribcage and arch.
    Training log:

22. Dam! Awesome bench. Looked extremely controlled up and down in the motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
    Training Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/271254-what-aw-hell.html
    "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like woman man."

23. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    Dam! Awesome bench. Looked extremely controlled up and down in the motion.

Thanks, Rob! I pride myself in having perfect technique and always looking to improve it. I would never count a rep unless I nailed it and kept it under control. I don't exaggerate my abilities, I'd like to be able to back it up if called out on it.

24. Well I hope to have that good of form one day

Training Log

25. Starting Monday, I'm switching my conjugate from my interpretation of Westside (meaning I did what I could with what I had) to my version of The Cube by Brandon Lilly. I'm doing this because the Cube is more geared toward raw lifters than Westside and it focuses on the deadlift more than Westside does.

It was a little confusing to adapt the template, but with some help, I managed to put it together. This is the first time I've written out a program since I was a junior in high school. For the longest time I followed Joe Weider's "Instinctive Training Principle", or the seat-of-the-pants method to you fellow powerlifters.

I set up the main movements for each day of the upcoming cycle and set up priorities for my assistance movements. The reason I did this is that it's halfway between my usual instinctive assistance regimen and a fully structured setup. Usually I would have made no adjustment, but it's come to my attention that recently I've neglected a whole bunch of lower body assistance work that has been working for me since I started lifting.

Without Further Ado, My Monster Bench Meet Training Cycle:

Week 1
    RE Free Squat (always free squats) 320x8x1
    DE Bench (DE will always be full benches to grease the groove) 225x3x8
    ME Deficit Deadlift 355x2x5

Week 2
    DE Squat 275x3x8
    ME Floor Press 275x2x5
    RE Snatch Grip Deadlift (will use straps, unsure of weight, so I will set my 8RM)

Week 3
    ME Squat 365x2x5
    RE Floor Press 225x8x1
    DE Deadlift (conventional from floor, again greasing the groove) 275x3x8

Week 4
    RE Squat 365x6x1
    DE Bench 245x2x6
    ME Rack Pull (2" from floor) 375x2x3

Week 5
    DE Squat 295x2x6
    ME Bench 325x2x3
    RE Rack Pull (4" from floor) 355x6x1

Week 6
    ME Squat 390x2x3
    RE 2-Board 315x6x1
    DE Deadlift 295x2x6

Week 7
    RE Squat 390x2x1
    DE Bench 255x2x5
    Rack Pull (4" up) 400x1, 410x1, 420x1

Week 8
    DE Squat 320x2x5
    ME 2-Board 345x1, 355x1, 365x1
    RE Deficit Pull 375x2x1

Week 9
    ME Squat 410x1, 425x1, 435x1
    RE Bench 330x2x1
    DE Deadlift 315x2x5

Week 10
    Push/Pull PRs in the 14th Annual Pgh Monster Bench & Deadlift Meet
    Current Conservative Goal: 800 Push/Pull, 355 Bench 445 Deadlift
    Current Stretch Goal: 900 Push/Pull, 405 Bench 495 Deadlift

Squat Assistance Must Haves
    GHR, LUNGES, Hip Thrust

To be included
    Oly Squats, Front Squats, Leg Press, Split Squat, Good Mornings (squatting and strict)

Bench Assist Must Haves
    Tate Press, JM Press, OHP, DB Rows, Band Pullaparts

To be included
    DB Bench, CG Incline (possible main movement, I lack experience with these)

Deadlift Assist Must Haves
    RDL, Barbell Rows (many grips and body positionings, most of them heavy), Back Extensions (Heavy as possible for sets of 20)

Include
    Kroc Row, Pullup, Good Mornings (rounded back and seated), Sumo Pull, Snatch Grip Pull

The weights are subject to change based on how I feel, but I do like the template.

As usual, I am open to any observations, questions, comments, concerns, complaints, gripes, or downright objections. Anything at all that you'd like to discuss.

26. I'll tell you right now that you should scrap the numbers you have written out as nothing ever goes that smoothly. Instead of having a certain weight written out for ME and RE, use RPE as your determinant of how much weight to actually use. One of the main things I've taken away from my time using block training was how to really implement this during the transmutation phase where you're, more or less, lifting at ~90% 4x/week for 2 weeks. The first week, everything goes according to plan, but, as you overreach, what used to feel like 80% feels closer to 95% and you have to start using RPE instead as you're not going to be able to hit the specific numbers.

Another way to do it is to keep the numbers, but have them as goals instead of written in stone. There'll be days you reach them, surpass them, and don't reach them. You can gauge progress and recovery this way.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

27. I will say this cube method looks like it will keep things very fresh week by week.

Interested in seeing yours and seans results and maybe some talk of efficiency over/under programs used prior.

Training Log

28. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I'll tell you right now that you should scrap the numbers you have written out as nothing ever goes that smoothly. Instead of having a certain weight written out for ME and RE, use RPE as your determinant of how much weight to actually use. One of the main things I've taken away from my time using block training was how to really implement this during the transmutation phase where you're, more or less, lifting at ~90% 4x/week for 2 weeks. The first week, everything goes according to plan, but, as you overreach, what used to feel like 80% feels closer to 95% and you have to start using RPE instead as you're not going to be able to hit the specific numbers.

Another way to do it is to keep the numbers, but have them as goals instead of written in stone. There'll be days you reach them, surpass them, and don't reach them. You can gauge progress and recovery this way.
    Thanks. The numbers are definitely fluid. I know exactly what you mean, I have big fluctuations day-to-day on my lift performances, and I don't line up with the standard "you can perform X reps at Y% of 1RM", as I'm sure no one does. I like the term you use, to have them as goals. They're there to give me an idea of what I'm shooting for, but they're not do-or-die.

What do you think of the main movement programming? The cliffs notes of it are that I went with deficit pulls at lower intensities to keep the difficulty high, rack pulls at higher intensities so that I don't miss reps, and I built up the weight used on bench main movements to prepare for moving bigger weights on meet day.
    Training log:

29. Quote Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    I will say this cube method looks like it will keep things very fresh week by week.

Interested in seeing yours and seans results and maybe some talk of efficiency over/under programs used prior.

One big thing about any conjugate program is the principle that you cannot progress training only the Big Three. Training those movements will not make you stronger in them. Your weak points will remain weak. Also, you will experience a detraining effect if you use weights above 85% of max in the same exercise for more than three weeks.

Because of those two facts, lifters utilizing the conjugate method use slight variations (rack pulls, squats with different bars, good mornings, board presses, etc.) to build the Big Three. That's one thing that is good about conjugate training, it is definitely always fresh.
    Training log:

30. Quote Originally Posted by herderdude

One big thing about any conjugate program is the principle that you cannot progress training only the Big Three. Training those movements will not make you stronger in them. Your weak points will remain weak. Also, you will experience a detraining effect if you use weights above 85% of max in the same exercise for more than three weeks.

Because of those two facts, lifters utilizing the conjugate method use slight variations (rack pulls, squats with different bars, good mornings, board presses, etc.) to build the Big Three. That's one thing that is good about conjugate training, it is definitely always fresh.
    I have actually been doing it(to the best of my ability) minus the transmutation, reaching, realization, etc bc they really seem geared more to geared lifters over just using the "template." I do wave my DE with no bands, red bands, then black bands. Also been doing some 5 and 3 rep work too. I also wonder about it for the lone lifter(no board presses and things like that).

I have been reading so much lately I feel like my head is going to explode; hence a serious contemplation in something simpler like 5/3/1 to not overcomplicate things. Now cube comes along...and looks very interesting. Excited to see some logs start here.

Training Log
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. JudoJosh attempt at anabolic diet log...
    By JudoJosh in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 11:40 PM
  2. My attempt at getting rid of gyno
    By dice404 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 12:32 PM
  3. Leggo's attempt at a Training Log!!
    By Leggo my Ego in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
  4. Replies: 2