Wendler 5/3/1 questions?

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
First off, hello AM readers, I have a few questions regarding the 5/3/1 training, I have seen an explosive increase in strength and am thrilled with that, but is this program good for bulking up or no? If not anything I can do to make that happen on this program? I am doing 3 days a week total body workouts if you need a copy of my routine I will post it. Any help is greatly appreciated

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Bulking depends on your diet more than anything. Keep a caloric surplus and you shall gain weight. Is it the best program for AESTHETIC gains or for the recreational lifter who just wants to look good...? Probably not, it is more guided for strength gains IMO, depending on the assistance scheme chosen or tailored though...

Anyhow, answer is: Yes it works for bulking if your diet is on a surplus and well crafted.

dmmcclair

dmmcclair

Awards
Out of curiosity what would be a good assistance scheme

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
What do you want? if it's power you look...something along the concepts of the Periodization Bible with proper plane and movement additions...if it's more along the aesthetics realm...I would say BBB and some isolation work.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Check out my log if you want. I was using the Periodization Bible template. Now I'm tailoring it to my specific needs and in accordance with Wedler's book on powerlifting. I've gone from 202-215. I agree with Cel- It's all about your diet. Whereas I'm going for sheer size and strength, it can be used for asthetics as well. It's all about how you manipulate it with your diet. I highly recommend purchasing Wendler's books on it.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The best assistance scheme is the one that targets your weak points so you can continue to progress an the main lifts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The best assistance scheme is the one that targets your weak points so you can continue to progress an the main lifts.
Something tells me that will fly over OP's head.

Buy the book. It will answer all of your questions.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Something tells me that will fly over OP's head.

Buy the book. It will answer all of your questions.
You can't explain it any better then that though without posting the book lol