Masonmarin's First Training Log, IF / DC style Bulk!!

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Good workout man, keep beating that log book! This is my first week to give it a go...
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Good workout man, keep beating that log book! This is my first week to give it a go...
    Thanks bro, you'll kill it fersure.
    “Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.” -R.I.P Zyzz-
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Workout 2A

Decline BB Bench - 165 lbs same weight
    165x15RP +2 reps

Shoulder DB Press - 55lbs same weight
    55x17RP +1

Close Grip Smith bench- 135lbs same weight - a little note though I tryed to up this by 10 pounds and it just felt way to heavy, so I know it back down to 2-3 min rest to refresh and only hit the same amount of reps as last time ;x.
    135x17RP

Rack Chins- I switched rack chins in for wide grip pullups, so this is my first time doing the exercise and they felt rly good!
    BW+30lbsx22RP

Hammer Strength Rows- 2platesx10 +10lbs, 25RP
    +10lbs +2 reps

Energy was pretty good today, but I feel like I didn't push it as hard as last time I did this workout.. maybe it was just an off day.. I beat all the exercises (barely) besides the close grip smith bench.. I guess if next time I don't do better I will have to switch up some exercises.. even though I believe its a little early for that so hopefully I won't have too.

Total calories for today were 3300, clean tons of protein around 50g fat rest carbs.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Workout 2B

Ez Bar Wide Grip Curls
    60lbsx21 RP +2 reps +5 lbs

Pinwheel Curls
    30sx12 SS +5 lbs

Seated Leg Curl
    100lbsx22RP +10 lbs +2 reps

Leg Press Calve Extensions
    4platesx20lbs +20lbs 12DC Reps

Leg Press
    10platesx20 lbs 7 Reps SS +20lbs
    6 platesx21 Widowmaker, last time I struggled to do these 20, had to rack the weight for a few seconds, this time I pushed them all out without racking weight just taking breaks in lockout position.

Overall workout went pretty well.. didn't have a gym buddy today so workout was fast and intense because I didn't have to wait on my gym partner to do his sets. Total cals for the day ended at 3300.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Workout 3A

Incline DB Press - 60lbs +5lbs - 18RP
    previous:55x20RP

Hammer strength shoulder press - 1platex35lbs same weight - 13RP +1 Rep
    previous:1platex35 12RP

Skullcrushers - 60lbs - +10lbs - 12RP
    Previous: 50x17RP

Reverse Grip Lat Pulldowns - 130lbs +10lbs - 25RP
    Previous 120lbs x 27RP

Reverse Grip BB Row -
    Previous:115x12 115x8 no rest.

This time took rest to recover and added weight like I was supposed to.
    115x18 +6 reps, 2 min rest, 135x10 SS

I don't know how much I should be progressing on some of these lifts.. the hammer strength shoulder press weight I started with is heavy, and just doing the full range of motion getting it up is rough.. I only went up 1 rep from last time.. incline dumbell press, lat pulldowns, and reverse bb rows seems like decent progression, I don't know if I should be expecting things like this every time? Doesn't really seem realistic. Skullcrushers I added 10lbs lost 5 reps and shoulder press I progressed 1 rep.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks guys.
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

On the hammer shoulder press, rather then sub it out what I personally would do is this. "reset it" Drop the weight so you are in the 20-25rp range. Then begin adding small jumps each time, trying to fight for reps. Over time the reps will come down. I find it easier to progress like that. Once you are down towards the bottom of the rep range(11-13) especially if you are natural, it becomes hard to dig out.

That said adding 1 rep to your shoulder press is decent progress.

So this might mean dropping it to 1plate on each side, maybe 1 and a 10. Just repping the **** out of it. Then depending on how many you get would dictate your jump next time.

Some movements 10lbs is a big jump. Adding 10lbs to a squat isn't ****, but adding 10lbs to a curl/skullcrusher in a week is a significant increase. Learn to use the 2.5s. With 17rp last week, if you used the 2.5's you might have eeeked out 16-17 or so this week, and that would have been a 5lb increase.

Sometimes making aggressive jumps is good, but they are more then likely going to be on squats, deads, etc. Lifts that are more about mental toughness than sheer failure.
    Last edited by Frank Reynolds; 10-20-2012 at 10:10 AM.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by masonmarin18 View Post
    Any advice would be appreciated thanks guys.
    Hey man. Looks like you're finding that weight range that's really challenging now.

I think your incline and shoulder presses are going well. I think you're still fine if you drop the rep range on the incline bench as long as you're moving up in weight. I would keep it around 15-20, though, unless someone else has a differing opinion. Shoulder is right on point. And remember at any time, you can chase rep progression, or weight progression - key is just making progression.

I would definitely stop adding weight to the skullcrushers, though. They're somewhat of a special exercise that should be kept in the higher rep ranges. So, start trying to beat rep PRs with that, and when you add weight just add 5lbs (2.5lb per side).

You got tons of wiggle room on those lat pulldowns, so keep adding weight.

For BB rows, I know you were sort of playing around, but you kind of attacked the set wrong by doing it 3-4 times. Here's a suggestion. I would actually work up to your really balls-to-the-wall set first before hitting the lower rep set. When you get to that toughest, heaviest set, hit your reps, and keep most of the reps with great form. And when you just absolutely can't row 1 more rep with that form, maybe cheat a couple more reps (don't go performing cleans, though, lol), and then shut it down. Afterwards, rest 3-5 minutes, and hit a set with lower weight for more reps. I would keep this set pretty strict. And then that's it.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    On the hammer shoulder press, rather then sub it out what I personally would do is this. "reset it" Drop the weight so you are in the 20-25rp range. Then begin adding small jumps each time, trying to fight for reps. Over time the reps will come down. I find it easier to progress like that. Once you are down towards the bottom of the rep range(11-13) especially if you are natural, it becomes hard to dig out.

So this might mean dropping it to 1plate on each side, maybe 1 and a 10. Just repping the **** out of it. Then depending on how many you get would dictate your jump next time.

Some movements 10lbs is a big jump. Adding 10lbs to a squat isn't ****, but adding 10lbs to a curl/skullcrusher in a week is a significant increase. Learn to use the 2.5s. With 17rp last week, if you used the 2.5's you might have eeeked out 16-17 or so this week, and that would have been a 5lb increase.

Sometimes making aggressive jumps is good, but they are more then likely going to be on squats, deads, etc. Lifts that are more about mental toughness than sheer failure.

That makes alot of sense frank thanks, I probably just started too heavy on the shoulder press and I shoulda been using the ez curl bar to load weight on, instead I was using the ones that have 10 lb incriments. I assume those bars are like 15lbs right?
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    Hey man. Looks like you're finding that weight range that's really challenging now.

I think your incline and shoulder presses are going well. I think you're still fine if you drop the rep range on the incline bench as long as you're moving up in weight. I would keep it around 15-20, though, unless someone else has a differing opinion. Shoulder is right on point. And remember at any time, you can chase rep progression, or weight progression - key is just making progression.

I would definitely stop adding weight to the skullcrushers, though. They're somewhat of a special exercise that should be kept in the higher rep ranges. So, start trying to beat rep PRs with that, and when you add weight just add 5lbs (2.5lb per side).

You got tons of wiggle room on those lat pulldowns, so keep adding weight.

For BB rows, I know you were sort of playing around, but you kind of attacked the set wrong by doing it 3-4 times. Here's a suggestion. I would actually work up to your really balls-to-the-wall set first before hitting the lower rep set. When you get to that toughest, heaviest set, hit your reps, and keep most of the reps with great form. And when you just absolutely can't row 1 more rep with that form, maybe cheat a couple more reps (don't go performing cleans, though, lol), and then shut it down. Afterwards, rest 3-5 minutes, and hit a set with lower weight for more reps. I would keep this set pretty strict. And then that's it.
    I think you read the way I did BB rows wrong, I started with my previous weight, added 5 reps, then rested for 2-3 mins added 20 lbs and went again. Both sets strict form, I never do a cheating rep I just try to squeeze the fck out of the reps lol. If I ever do a partial rep or spotted rep it doesn't go in the log book, thanks for all the advice tho!
  10. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

I assume those bars are like 15lbs right?
    I think about that.

Do you do your skulls on a bench or the floor?

For the BB rows next time I would do the weight you used for your heavy set as your light set, and go heavier for your heavy set.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

That makes alot of sense frank thanks, I probably just started too heavy on the shoulder press and I shoulda been using the ez curl bar to load weight on, instead I was using the ones that have 10 lb incriments. I assume those bars are like 15lbs right?
    They're usually about 15-19lb. I've only ever seen 17s and 19s. The 19s are usually have pretty thick handles and very nice V angles, whereas the 17s are usually chrome-looking, thin handles. Probably wont make a difference, you could just track the weight on the bar. IT's like when I use machines, I dont measure the weight of hte sled/carriage/arms/etc., just what's on the machine.
    Check your form: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/190675-proper-techniques.html
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/235436-tossing-weight-torobestia.html
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

I think about that.

Do you do your skulls on a bench or the floor?
    I do them on a bench, with my butt off of it. So top half of my body on the bench, slowly bring to behind head, lightly touch the bench, and then back up.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torobestia View Post
    They're usually about 15-19lb. I've only ever seen 17s and 19s. The 19s are usually have pretty thick handles and very nice V angles, whereas the 17s are usually chrome-looking, thin handles. Probably wont make a difference, you could just track the weight on the bar. IT's like when I use machines, I dont measure the weight of hte sled/carriage/arms/etc., just what's on the machine.
    Yeah but I go to 2 different gyms, and 1 gym has the thick handles you speak of and the other one has the thin lol.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

I think you read the way I did BB rows wrong, I started with my previous weight, added 5 reps, then rested for 2-3 mins added 20 lbs and went again. Both sets strict form, I never do a cheating rep I just try to squeeze the fck out of the reps lol. If I ever do a partial rep or spotted rep it doesn't go in the log book, thanks for all the advice tho!
    I did read it wrong, my bad. I see you said "previous best."
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Yeah but I go to 2 different gyms, and 1 gym has the thick handles you speak of and the other one has the thin lol.
    Well there you have it, 17 and 19lbs. You can also weigh yourself twice, once just you, the other with you holding the bar, then subtract (can also just put the bar on the scale, lol).
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Workout 3B

DB Alternating Curls - 30lbs x29RP +8reps

Reverse Grip Ez Bar curls - 60lbs x14SS +10lbs

Seated Calf Raises - 55 lbs +10lbs 10 reps DC style

Standing Leg curls - 35lbs 28RP +10 reps

Hack Squats - 240lbs x8 SS +10lbs
    145x20 +5lbs

End of 2nd cycle, gonna go for 1-2 more cycles then deload and might switch up routine, been fun so far though.
  17. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.

Some pretty good progress. +8-10 reps is a lot.

Stick to DC for a good 8-12 months MINIMUM. Don't be a routine jumper..heh It is a quick way to make slow progress. JMO.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Some pretty good progress. +8-10 reps is a lot.

Stick to DC for a good 8-12 months MINIMUM. Don't be a routine jumper..heh It is a quick way to make slow progress. JMO.
    Thanks for the compliment frank! And yeah I am going to have to decide if I want to stay with this routine, but I am really thinking about switching to max OT training for the next 4 months. It just seems more my style, either way the one I choose I will be sticking with for awhile.. 4-6 months.

Btw I hit a set of chest today because I seen my friend at the gym, my shoulder is giving me problems now, and my elbows have been really sensitive lately, they hurt when I was resting them on the standing leg curl pads today and they hurt when I am resting them on my car door while driving.. Do you reccomend any good joint supps? If the shoulder isn't better by wednesday or workout 1A I think it may be time to deload.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

No workout today, letting my shoulder heal up.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Alright guys I took a week off from gym totally so that was my deload, back to blasting! I increased on everything besides the wide grip smith bench.. tryed to up the weight was way to heavy, tryed to drop it back down still was too heavy idk what was going on.. looks like its time to switch out that workout.

Workout 1A
    Flat DB Press - 60lbs x25RP +5lbs

Shoulder Smith Press - 120lbs x24RP +5lbs +2reps

Wide Grip reverse Smith Bench - did a set of 115 x7 for +10lbs too heavy, took a rest droped it back to 110+5lbs from last time where I did 105x25, only hit it 7 times and I was like fck it. Went over to the tricep pulldowns with a upside down V bar? Don't know what its called lol.

Tricep pulldowns
    110x10 SS
    130x10 SS
    150x5 SS

Hammer Strength Lat Pulldowns - 2plates x5 lbs +5lbs each arm 27RP, +5lbs +2 reps.

Deadlifts
    240x6 SS +5lbs same reps
    245x4 SS same weight as 2nd set last time +1rep

Did 1 set of Smith Machine shrugs with 95lbs holding at the top for 10 seconds
    95lbsx8 SS

Overall workout went well, not sure what happened with the wide grip reverse smith bench but oh well. Calories for today were around 34-3500.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Workout 1B

Feeling good set more PRs today xD.

Workout1B

Straight BB Curl-75x19RP +5lbs

Hammer curls-35x15SS +2reps

Standing calf Raises-120lbsx13DC +10lbs +3reps

Lying Leg Curls-70lbsx21RP+5lbs+2reps

Squats-
    215x10+10lbs
    160x20+5lbs

Getting stronger and feeling better boys, weight is up to 150.5 dry.
  22. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

He'll yeah brotha! Nice work
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

He'll yeah brotha! Nice work
    Thanks man! Appreciate it.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Workout 2A

Well I think I need to figure out some new tricep workouts. I don't seem to be progressing much on the close grip smith bench or the wide grip reverse smith bench press exercises. I added 5 lbs to all movements this workout except the hammer strength rows I added 10 lbs.

Decline BB Press
    170x14RP +5lbs

Shoulder DB Press
    60lbsx15RP +5lbs

Close Grip Smith Bench
    140x14RP +5lbs (but-3 reps for the extra 5 lbs.)

Rack Chins(did these today without my straps cuz i forgot them at home.)
    35lbsx20RP+5lbs

Hammer Strength Rows-
    2platesx20lbs 21RP +10lbs

Not sure what movements to consider for triceps, got some thinking to do. Total cals today were a little over 3400.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Workout 2B - Been killing these legs days lately, I have been gaining weight a little too fast so I gotta cut the calories back, I weighed in at 152 today. I think alot of my weight gain is my body returning to what it was before my cut, some muscle memory mixed in there etc.

Ez Bar Wide Grip Curls
    70lbsx17RP +10lbs

Pinwheel Curls
    30x15 SS +3 reps

Seated Leg Curls
    95 x 27RP +5lbs +7reps > : )

Leg Press calve Extensions
    4plates x20lbs x13 DC +20 lbs (these hurt so good could barely walk to bathroom after haha)

Leg Press - On my heavy set of these I grunted pretty loud haha sht was heavy as fck.. and ppl were lookin at me, but who cares haha I went hard.

470lbsx10 SS +10lbs +2 reps
    290lbsx20 Widowmaker +10lbs

Total cals for today were 3000.
  26. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Triceps, CG Bench, smith CG Bench, reverse grip bench, skulls, French press, dips, hammer strength dips....
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Workout 3A

Finally progressing on a tricep exercise woooot! Felt good lol, felt big today strength going up. Got a nice pump and some compliments from a friend I hadn't seen in awhile which always feels good.

Incline DB Press - 65x17RP +5lbs

Hammer strength Shoulder Press - 1plate x35lbs x14RP +1rep (might have to switch these with something else)

Skullcrushers - 60lbsx17RP +5reps

Reverse Grip Lat Pulldowns - 135x23RP +5lbs

Reverse Grip BB Row -
    135x13 SS +20lbs
    145x8 SS +10lbs
  28. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Nice work! Hey as long as you're going up, you're gaining. Whether a it's 1 rep or 2.5lbs.

You're better than you were last time. Marathon, not a sprint!
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Nice work! Hey as long as you're going up, you're gaining. Whether a it's 1 rep or 2.5lbs.

You're better than you were last time. Marathon, not a sprint!
    Very true.. thanks bro. I guess when I am getting stronger in other exercises but not as much in those presses I felt like I didn't do a good job. I will stay with the exercise until progress is 0 reps. I gotta say I am glad I chose DC for my bulk, it seems to be treating me really well. I plan on taking some progress pics after this blast ends.. hopefully get some good input lol.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Just read through your log bro. Good work so far. I'll be following!
    Mind and Muscle board representative.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukef2000 View Post
    Just read through your log bro. Good work so far. I'll be following!
    Thanks for coming in! Welcome to have you bro.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Dirty South Texas Style Training Log...
    By TexasLifter89 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 12:13 PM
  2. Distilled Water DC training log.......i'm getting huge
    By Distilled Water in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 05:22 PM
  3. My First Weightloss Log: Diet/training/supplements
    By Sxhawnn in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 02:50 AM
  4. DC Training Log