Help with bench press.

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.51%

Help with bench press.

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to these threads but have been reading for quiet a while. I'm 31years old. 6ft4. 225lb at about 14% bf. I've been lifting seriously for 2 years had never trained before that. My problem is with my bench I just can't get over 200lb for reps. I want to be able to bench 220 comfortably. I work out my full body I include squats and deads once a week but not heavy due to a bad back. Any help much appreciated.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.69%

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonevomurf View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to these threads but have been reading for quiet a while. I'm 31years old. 6ft4. 225lb at about 14% bf. I've been lifting seriously for 2 years had never trained before that. My problem is with my bench I just can't get over 200lb for reps. I want to be able to bench 220 comfortably. I work out my full body I include squats and deads once a week but not heavy due to a bad back. Any help much appreciated.
    Weighted dips. If you can not do weighted, do bodyweight until you can do like 3 sets of 12, then add 10lbs (I use adumbbell that I pick up with my feet, there are also belts you can add weight with). I like the 8 rep range, as soon as I can hit 8 reps on all my sets, I add 5 lbs. Also, training the lats on the same plane as the bench (meaning heavy rows) helps the bench a lot for most people. If you can not do freeweight barbell rows because of your back, one arm dumb bell rows or even hammer strength rows can be used as a replacement. Finally, standing shoulder press has a lot of carry over to the bench, and is a movment I think everyone who lifts should do anyhow because of the impact it has on real world strength.

Also, check your form out with the "so you think you can bench" video on youtube. There is a thread in the training section with links to it.

Good luck!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.51%

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman

Weighted dips. If you can not do weighted, do bodyweight until you can do like 3 sets of 12, then add 10lbs (I use adumbbell that I pick up with my feet, there are also belts you can add weight with). I like the 8 rep range, as soon as I can hit 8 reps on all my sets, I add 5 lbs. Also, training the lats on the same plane as the bench (meaning heavy rows) helps the bench a lot for most people. If you can not do freeweight barbell rows because of your back, one arm dumb bell rows or even hammer strength rows can be used as a replacement. Finally, standing shoulder press has a lot of carry over to the bench, and is a movment I think everyone who lifts should do anyhow because of the impact it has on real world strength.

Also, check your form out with the "so you think you can bench" video on youtube. There is a thread in the training section with links to it.

Good luck!
    Cheers for your reply. Ya I have started doing dips recently just bodyweight and been getting like 10, 8, 8 for 3 sets so I will continue to improve with that. Also have been doing barbell rows but not out of my comfort zone because of my back so mabey the switch to the dumbbell rows might be a better option for me and I will take on board the standing shoulder press. Have watched the video on YouTube chest day tomorrow so will put it all to practice. Cheers.
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 02:13 AM
  2. help with bench press?
    By craze123 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
  3. Need serious help with bench
    By wrasslin116 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 08:59 PM
  4. Help with tate presses
    By spatch in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 12:33 AM
  5. Need Help with Bench, Deadlifts, and Squat ?
    By The Paper Route in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 11:12 PM