41 weeks from runner-up to 1st. Distilled Water workout log to victory

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys, just took 2nd in the novice class at my first show. Really disappointed as I had some issues with dehydration the day of the show an looked like poo when I stepped on stage.

This is going to be my workout log from now until the next show, June 8th. At least that's the show I'm shooting for. I'll update with diets, splits, pictures, measurements, hopefully body fat %, workouts and some videos.

I learned a lot last prep so this one is gonna be awesome.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First four weeks I'll be heavy on carbs on my build days, focusing on a good contest rebound.

Build days:~3600 cals (35/50/15)
Burn days:~2800 cals (40/30/30)

Workout split will be a 4 day split

Monday: back/bis
Tuesday: chest/tris
Wednesday: off
Thursday: legs
Friday: shoulders/traps
Sat&sun:fasted cardio (before refeed)

I'll also be throwing in FST-7 for back width, hammies & shoulders/traps. I feel like these need the most work. I don't really enjoy training that way but it works gret for me with an abundance of carbs(why I'm using it now) I usually just get fat from them but right now I'm prime'd.

I'll eventually transition into juggernaut training and DC (prolly about 5 weeks from now) and that'll also when carbs come down and my diet will be more recomp-ish with a 50-20-30 split.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just did 30min cardio fasted. Came home to eat a blueberry kroger brand Greek yogurt, 3 pieces homemade chicken BBQ pizza, and a bowl of Oreo protein pudding (entire batch is 120/150/45, p/c/f) and a glass of Pepsi. I know Pepsi isn't the best but once this 2 liter is gone, it's gone.

Lean gains is doing me well so far lol

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cardio this morning was helping my moms boyfriend move a bed room steps up to the 2nd floor apartment so I think that's the equivalent of 30min on the treadmill.

Also, I'm using hemavol until my jacked micro gets here. I'll be doing 2 scoops, used the caps and it was so-so but had trouble figuring out proper dosing bc of my schedule. It'll be much easier this time working normal hours.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was toying with when I wanted to workout and I think fasted morning is going to be best for me. I'll have the gym all to myself and get my day started on a good note and won't run into any sleeping issues with stims.

I'll take 2 scoops recover pro with 2 scoops hemavol + 200mg caffeine 30min pre-workout. 2 scoops Recover pro post workout and again at 8:30am then breaking my fast at 11am.

My 1st meal looks like so....
10oz lean turkey
4oz brown rice pasta (dry measure)
1 cup pasta sauce
16oz grape juice
Low-fat parm to taste

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gonna have to re set up my workout, my shoulder is sore as hell. Also, how do we post video's?

Dead lifts
4 sets 275x5

Pull ups
3 sets BWx8

BB Row
3 sets 205x8

Rope pull downs
7x12

Hammer machine preacher curl
3 sets 45x12

DB hammers
40x8
35x10
30x12

Got a great pump with bi's. My shoulder started hurting after pull ups, subbing in pull downs and upping reps to 10-12 and going with some hammer strength for rows also. I finished up with some heavy rope crunches, I'm pretty friggen hungry but didn't come close on calories yesterday. I was on the run, maybe got 2,000 in?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good thing I went to the gym in the morning. I got home and passed out for an hour, I was falling asleep on the ride home. As my refeed nears and end, there's no way I can eat 400gr carbs. I feel like a bloated mess, I'm cutting them 2maro and going to a 3 way split. I'll be off day tomorrow and carbs will be closer to 150gr/day. Brown rice pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes and Ezekiel bread will be main carb sources and trace will come from sauces and fruit in yogurts. I think the only difference between build and burn days will be juice post workout meal. 16oz of grape juice is about 100gr carbs so works for me! Once I'm out of juice I may move to a carb spice such as WMS or Karbolblahblabh whatever it is, you guys know.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the support!!!!

Wednesday workout. In afternoon, much better idea! Back and bis are still sore, could really feel it in my back when I laid down on the bench.

Flat BB Bench
185 3x12

Standing overhead press
115x12
115x12
Superset
DB laterals
15x12
15x12

Incline DB Press
60 2x12

Hammer dip machine
180 2x15

Rope extensions
60 2x12

Seated DB laterals
15's for FST-7

20min light cardio post workout

Huge pump, as you can see I'm going lighter. I really don't want to stress my joints and if I cn focus on my pump and contraction I'll grow.

I'll go over my current supp's when I get home

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
Supplements

Jacked micro (whenever it gets here)
-hemavol powder until then
5gr Creatine mono pre & post
5gr Glutamine am, pre, post & b4 bed
1/2t yellow gold before 1st meal & post workout
6gr BCAA am, pre & b4 bed
500mg Agmatine am
Im waiting on some myself, never used the original formula but the new one really intrigued me. Thanks to USP labs and borobulker I should be getting some very soon.

How are you responding to the FST-7? I have been throwing it in myself, as a finisher, every once in a while. Hands over the head, to increase occlusion time, is a killer I pace around the gym waiting for the next set.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im waiting on some myself, never used the original formula but the new one really intrigued me. Thanks to USP labs and borobulker I should be getting some very soon.

How are you responding to the FST-7? I have been throwing it in myself, as a finisher, every once in a while. Hands over the head, to increase occlusion time, is a killer I pace around the gym waiting for the next set.
I used the original, it was ok but made me feel weird. Now I know why, lol.

I have a love hate relationship with it, I love results but I hate doing it. Partly bc the DOMS in that bodypart is ridic. I think pros have great results bc what they run really helps recovery plus their lives are dedicated to it. I work in a machine shop so if my back/shoulders are sore, I feel it everyday and I never fully recover.

I'm a big fan of DC training and FST-7 is polar opposite. I do think it works, I really need to increase shoulder size (neglected during college baseball) and I feel like this will be a great test. I'll be doing FST-7 for 8 weeks, same body parts the entire time, switching up exercise at 4 week mark.

I changed my split to 3 day. FST-7 will be for traps/rear delts Monday, mid Delt wednesday & hammies Friday

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After cutting carbs back the last two days I feel a lot better, looked a lot better this morning also. I was super hungry after my workout I had a huge meal, could have ate more probably

10oz sirloin
6oz sweet potato
2 scoops UMP
16 oz grape juice
Ezekiel pb & j
Greek yogurt
Raisin bran crunch with honey

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today was a rest day, both the Tigers and MSU were on TV out here in California and that doesn't happen very often so I watched both games.

Kind of was a carb up day too, getting ready for a heavy leg workout 2maro. I'll train fasted and start re feeding after. My fast was thrown off a bit last night but I'll go about 18hrs on this fast, i stopped eating about 4:30 2day and will eat again whenever 2maro, probably 1ish?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great leg workout, had a huuuge pump going!

Squats
5 sets 245x10

SLDL
5 sets 115x12

Leg press calf raise
5 sets 225x20

Lying leg curls
FST-7's

Rope crunches super set with leg raises

20min LI cardio post workout

Faster for 20hrs like expected. Hunger isn't bad at all today, went to denny's after my workout

6 egg whites
Hash browns
2 blueberry pancakes

Mmmm lean gains!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After cardio this morning I was looking A LOT better than previous days. I also felt better yesterday, not sloppy/ bloated.

This may have something to do with training fasted and eating 2hrs later? Since I'm off work 2maro, I'll give it another try. If I wake up looking great again Tuesday I may have to go back to the drawing board.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had a pretty good workout today. Some minor problems but overall I feel good. Shoulder is sore from shooting close to 200, 12gauge rounds and throwing clays all day. In fact, I tried doing some rear Delt work...Psht wasn't happening. Hammys are still a little sore from legs so deads were light today, just focused on good form.

Deads
3sets 225x8

Hammer Reverse Grip pull down
180x10
200x8
210x6

Hammer Iso row
180x12
200x8

Behind The back shrugs
FST-7's

BB curl
95x10
100x8
*superset
DB Hammer curls
45x8
45x6

Then some good ole fashioned cardio and now I'm enjoying a shake and some grape juice. BBQ'n some more today, I get to add some carbs in today, pretty excited about that.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My shoulder is still sore as all get out today, along with traps. Back and bi's aren't too bad or I'd even say normal.

Well what was 41 weeks may be a little longer. I plan on moving away from this sh!t hole they call the CA central valley a little sooner than expected. If that's the case I will probably enter a contest next August back east. Its not for sure but possible. I'm shooting for June 8th at the NPC CA southern states in San Diego in case the 2 followers were wondering lol

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
dw.... sorry to hear about second place buddy... making me nervous about my contest now ;)... ever do your research on peptides? five weeks out for me... im exhausted.... so ready for this to be over...

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dw.... sorry to hear about second place buddy... making me nervous about my contest now ;)... ever do your research on peptides? five weeks out for me... im exhausted.... so ready for this to be over...
Dont be worried, I had some serious dehydration problems before pre-judging that severely effected my physique.

Home stretch now man!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man I was starving today! Trying to push carbs lower on rest days and really load up on workout days bc I don't seem to get bloated and I just get a pump'd feeling. Today I ate..

6 while eggs + 4 whites
2 slices ham
1/2 cup low fat cheddar

2 scoops UMP
1 chiboni blueberry Greek yogurt

10oz chicken
1/2 cup (dry) brown rice pasta
~3/4 cup pasta sauce
Parm cheese

10oz sirloin with 1tbs BBQ sauce
1 fat TBS of natty pb

Been about 3 weeks of lean gains and waist still hovers between 30-32" depending on the day and weights the same way 182-190. Both probably fluctuate bc my water intake is really inconsistent, need to fix that.

2maro is my cheat meal!!!! 1 little caesar hot & ready and a 20oz Pepsi throwback for my post workout meal ;-)

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Legs

BB squat ( heels on bored)
4 sets 275x5

Stiff deads off a box
4 sets 135x12

Calf raise
6 sets 200x10

Lying leg curls
FST-7's

I had a huuuge pump in my quads, power wasn't there though? Weight was down on 7's also, not really sure what's going on. I had great energy so in stump'd. I'll pay attention to weights this week, if they continue on the decline, goodbye lean gains.

This jack3d micro tastes like straight up, red Kool-aid!

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
subd man congrats on the 2nd place!!! lots of good info this log and your last

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
Man I was starving today! Trying to push carbs lower on rest days and really load up on workout days bc I don't seem to get bloated and I just get a pump'd feeling. Today I ate..

6 while eggs + 4 whites
2 slices ham
1/2 cup low fat cheddar

2 scoops UMP
1 chiboni blueberry Greek yogurt

10oz chicken
1/2 cup (dry) brown rice pasta
~3/4 cup pasta sauce
Parm cheese

10oz sirloin with 1tbs BBQ sauce
1 fat TBS of natty pb

Been about 3 weeks of lean gains and waist still hovers between 30-32" depending on the day and weights the same way 182-190. Both probably fluctuate bc my water intake is really inconsistent, need to fix that.

2maro is my cheat meal!!!! 1 little caesar hot & ready and a 20oz Pepsi throwback for my post workout meal ;-)
Hey first of all subbed! And you ate a whole box of lil caesars hot n ready + 20 oz pepsi?

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
dude I want that pizza soooo bad..... lol.... after the comp im going to a pizza buffet lol

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
dude I want that pizza soooo bad..... lol.... after the comp im going to a pizza buffet lol
I wish I could have, there aren't any near where I'm living, crap! The next morning I did eat some pb banana French toast from 222 cafe in SD, I guess the chef Guy from food network mentioned it on a 'best things I ever ate', I concur.

Hey first of all subbed! And you ate a whole box of lil caesars hot n ready + 20 oz pepsi?
Haha yeah, every Friday that's my cheat meal after legs. Unusually don't finish the Pepsi though, only make it about 1/3 the way.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ate a bomb breakfast today! Some gluten free Buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup, they were damn good. Had those along side a 10egg white scramble.

I've really stared looking into more gluten free eating, my stomach feel A LOT better! I've always had stomach issues, since birth. I've pretty much completely cut out diary (I do have Greek yogurt with some lactase) and that pizza cheat meal, lol. Next will be gluten, just have to start exploring more options for "cheat" meals that still fall within guidelines.

I have steel cut oats, rice, sweet potato's, brown rice pasta & Ezekiel bread. Those are really the only carb sources I have in my house. I'll need to research gluten free pizza dough and see if I can turn that cheat meal into a homemade one.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm smoked from my leg workout today. I don't know how I feel about doing lean gains, I don't like the "looseness" of it. I know that sounds odd but for where I'm at I'm my life I CAN be extremely regimented and anal about my training and diet.

I recently moved in with my mom (she had a heart attack just before my show) helping her take are of some of her bills since she's not working full time. I'm using this to save money to go back to school to finish my teaching certification (5 classes short) I'd like to have to take out ZERO loans and not work any more than 15hrs a week while I'm back in school so I really have no life. My mom is looking at retiring soon and moving to druuuuuummmm rolllllll FLORIDA! Hahaha go figure, so I can really use this time to improve my physique and make something of myself in the fitness world.

masonmarin18

masonmarin18

Awards
  • Established
I wish I could have, there aren't any near where I'm living, crap! The next morning I did eat some pb banana French toast from 222 cafe in SD, I guess the chef Guy from food network mentioned it on a 'best things I ever ate', I concur.

Haha yeah, every Friday that's my cheat meal after legs. Unusually don't finish the Pepsi though, only make it about 1/3 the way.

lol wtf, man i would demolish every last bit.. i have cheat meals but a whole pizza is like my whole days worth of cals. :(

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol wtf, man i would demolish every last bit.. i have cheat meals but a whole pizza is like my whole days worth of cals. :(
My build days are closer to 3,500 and 350gr carbs. I go a little over on carbs but not on calories ;-)

I can't eat after this, I'm full but not uncomfortable. It kills my hunger pretty well, plus from working all week I'm an old man and ready for bed about 9:30 anyways

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After some reading, I'm going to try and lower my protein. Probably 180 on burn days and 200 on build days. I'm hesitant to try this buuuuut it's been 1 month on this stuff so I'll give another 4 weeks a try with lower protein and higher carbs on build days (make up the calories) and fat on burn days, probably won't eat carbs after my first meal on burn days.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sick and miserable. Trying to stay hydrated and eat calorically dense food. Had some honey, coconut buckwheat pancakes this morning. Macros make it about 30gr protein,80gr carbs (24 fiber) and 35gr fat. Drinking a lot of water and I had a shake of some MHP Up YourMass that I've just been sipping on all day bc I haven't had an appetite. Low carb living on Monday! Still going to use IF principles, not giving up hope yet, although I'm damn close.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
Sick and miserable. Trying to stay hydrated and eat calorically dense food. Had some honey, coconut buckwheat pancakes this morning. Macros make it about 30gr protein,80gr carbs (24 fiber) and 35gr fat. Drinking a lot of water and I had a shake of some MHP Up YourMass that I've just been sipping on all day bc I haven't had an appetite. Low carb living on Monday! Still going to use IF principles, not giving up hope yet, although I'm damn close.
I may have to try those. I love pancakes heres my "matty cake" recipe

2 whole eggs
10 whites
1 cup dry oatmeal
1 cup almond milk
2 cups blueberries or fruit of choice
2 scoops protein I like vanilla trutein in this
blend all ingredients together
heat a frying pan with a lil olive oil needs to be hot they cook much better
cook them thin thy come out awesome
ill add honey, stevia, and cinimon and top with natty pb or almond butter

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
I got full just reading that! Those sound dense my friend, I'll give those a try on a carb day though. If I sh!t load I'm on the toilet so those I'll throw in the rotation. Breakfast is by far my favorite type of food.
me too man my cheat days I usually go for french toast or waffles with a lil syrup or honey. or a huge omellete with some hashbrowns. The matty cakes are pretty beefy!!!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll be sticking to a set schedule diet starting Monday. Difference in calories from build/burn days will be my intra shake and dropping oils by 1tbs from
my later meals.

Meal 1
6 whole eggs
1/2 cup cheddar
4 strips bacon
1 fiber drink

Meal 2
1 scoop protein
2TBS coconut oil
2 tbs peanut putter

Meal 3
8oz turkey
2 TBS evoo
2TBS evoo mayo
2 scups spinach

Meal 4
1 can tuna
1tbs Evoo
1tbs evoo mayo
1 cup green beans

I'll work up to the amounts of oil or else I'll be siiiiiick to my stomach. This first week no carb drinks or carb ups, doing 2 weeks to get into it and workouts won't be DC yet, 3x's/week but going to set up exercise I'll use in DC so I'll know what weights to push.

Cardio 4x's/week LISS cardio (fasted on weekends) probably 30-45min

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
me too man my cheat days I usually go for french toast or waffles with a lil syrup or honey. or a huge omellete with some hashbrowns. The matty cakes are pretty beefy!!!
After my show I had breakfast the next morning at this little cafe in San Diego, peanut butter banana french toast & real maple syrup. They were unreal and actually pretty good size, filled me up, well worth the $13.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Whats your take on not-so-lean beef and also on dark meat poultry? :p Subd btw!! Thanks for the awesome advise on PMs brother :)!

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whats your take on not-so-lean beef and also on dark meat poultry? :p Subd btw!! Thanks for the awesome advise on PMs brother :)!
Um dark meat chicken is the spawn of the devil, I hate the taste of it!lol but seriously, I think its great Along with 80/20 cuts of beef are solid. Good fats for natural guys, same goes for eggs! I'm on some 93/7 turkey bc I got it for cheap. Once I run through that, I'll be eating mostly 85/15 & 80/20 beef. Never dark chicken or turkey, thinking about it makes me nauseous.

As long as it doesn't make the majority of your fats, I say this bc of digestion and stomach issues I've personally had when trying to eat 2lbs of 80/20 a day.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Um dark meat chicken is the spawn of the devil, I hate the taste of it!lol but seriously, I think its great Along with 80/20 cuts of beef are solid. Good fats for natural guys, same goes for eggs! I'm on some 93/7 turkey bc I got it for cheap. Once I run through that, I'll be eating mostly 85/15 & 80/20 beef. Never dark chicken or turkey, thinking about it makes me nauseous.

As long as it doesn't make the majority of your fats, I say this bc of digestion and stomach issues I've personally had when trying to eat 2lbs of 80/20 a day.
Haha mostly I go for 1lb of them, but also keep EVCO , EVOO, natural PB , mayo , ranch and other poly/mono fats in! I gotta say, it is quite hard haha without a good appetite suppressant its a tough change from having high carbs xD

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
After my show I had breakfast the next morning at this little cafe in San Diego, peanut butter banana french toast & real maple syrup. They were unreal and actually pretty good size, filled me up, well worth the $13.
cant beat that for $13. im going to this place called the sugar shack when i get back home after my show. apple drizzle pancakes and rasperry stuffed french toast. im torturing myself right now thinking about it