Toro Moving West(side)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Finally decided to ditch my old gym and join a good gym. I used to lift at my school's gym as a faculty member there, but now I am lifting at a place called The Gym. It's a small garage packed with all sorts of goodies, including heavy dumbbells, reverse hypers, GHRs, monolifts, 5-6 different kinds of squat/bench bars, bands, etc. None of the fancy machinery I'm used to, though, which means I have to wave goodbye to the HS Iso Lateral High Row, my favorite machine :(

Anyways, basically everyone at this gym follows the conjugate method, so I will do the same. Hoping to find some stable lifting buddies, but until then we'll see where this takes me.

-----

07/09/12

ME LOWER

REVERSE BAND RACK GOOD MORNINGS (doubled up red bands, tension unknown)
335-3
355-1 then fail

SUMO SLDL
185-3 felt hammy pop after first rep
225-3
Stopped

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
130-7
150-7
170-6
180-4

CALF RAISE
25 left leg, 25 right leg, 50 together, back to back

LYING UNI V SIT LEG RAISE
3 sets of 12 each side/leg

Today's entry is not terribly exciting. First set of GMs I messed up my setup on my last triple attempt. I was instructed, or I heard, to push my arms up to start the positive of the motion, but that made me dump the bar and trash it after one rep. I should have attempted again, but I went ahead and moved on to the next thing. It gets worse - I pulled my hamstring on the next movement. Nothing serious, but had to call it a day soon afterwards.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tried to do a recovery workout in addition to fitting in some conditioning work, but my hamstrings were so fried from yesterday I couldn't budge my legs for crap. So I basically resorted to the treadmill to get some blood flowing into my legs. Tomorrow I'll probably do floor presses (with chains?). Not only have I wanted to do some floor presses but since my legs are trashed this will be a great exercise to do since it doesn't involve my legs.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/11/12

ME UPPER

Warmed up with 50 band pull-aparts followed by 50 band rows

FLOOR PRESS (+52lb chains)
135-5
185-3
225-2
245-1
265-1 <-- max effort

FOOTBALL BAR JM PRESS
65-10
75-8
85-6,6,6
Struggled to death for those 6 reps, pretty embarassing. Also tricep pump from hell

STANDING DB PRESS
40-10
50-10
60-3

WIDE DB ROW
100-6
110-6,6
Don't like these, my shoulder feels like it's going to die

FACEPULLS
140-15,15

Well, a few comments. First, I made the mistake of doing some movements too light, like the DB presses. Apparently I should always strive for a 6RM on ME days. I'm not convinced this is right, but I believe it when it comes to stuff like back and tricep work. I also ordered my exercises wrong - should have done bench, tricep, lat, then shoulder work, not do shoulder work before lat work. That's all, though. Took a little bit longer than expected for the workout (about 1.5 hours) due to me listening to advice from a PL in my gym (just raw benched 695 this past weekend at a meet in OHIO). Lots of good stuff. Next week I'll start working in some conditioning into my routine. Another piece of good advice is to take my time moving up to my maxes in my core lifts. The way I did it today I didn't get a lot of volume.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/13/12

DE LOWER

SPEED SQUATS (50% with blue bands, tension TBFigured out)
215-4x3
215-8x2
40 seconds between sets
Pretty horrendous how I forgot that it was sets of 2 for DE squats, woops. Remembered after my 4th set. My warmups were really hard with this because of how sore my hamstrings were from Monday still. Very explosive sets but ass and abductors were rather lit up from the extra volume.

SPEED DEADLIFTS
325-6x1
Could not do anything more from hamstrings and ass feeling so destroyed, but 6 singles is what is called for

REVERSE HYPEREXTENSIONS
90-8
180-6
230-6
250-8,7,7
I do not like these the way Louie prescribes them at all. If I do these again I think I'll do them "strict," or just do GHRs for a while until I get an expert opinion on these.

CALF RAISES
25 left leg, 25 right leg, 50 both legs

AB WHEEL 4x8 (I always write sets x reps)

God, my lower body is destroyed

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/15/12

DE UPPER

50 band pull-aparts, followed by 50 band rows, followed by 2 sets of staggered pushups for 10 reps each side (40 total pushups)

BUFFALO BAR BENCH (small red bands, 60lbs of band tension)
135-9x3
3 different grips

**SUPERSET THE 2 BELOW**

EZ BAR SKULLCRUSHERS
87.5-12,12,10,10,9

NAUTILUS PULLOVER
140-12,12,12
160-11,10

FARMER WALKS
105lb DBs per hand, walked the length of the gym and back twice. Third set just stood and held till failure

HAMMER CURLS
50-11,10,10,9

Great session, feel-wise. My triceps and lats are really painfully pumped up, very nice.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I forgot to mention this earlier. Probably worth posting what my known maxes are (not calculated, these were the heaviest weights I've performed at the gym in the past 2 months).

Squat: 430 (I know my max is way higher [I've done 425x3] but this is the heaviest I've gone)
Bench: 315
Deadlift: 540

So my DE session %s are all based on these numbers.

I'm going to find out today how to incorporate chest work into my sessions and how frequently I should do them (once a week ok, or each bench session). My bench as it is stands on 2 muscle grounds: back and chest. My shoulders are very average strength for my bench, while my triceps are very, very weak. Most of my workouts will be centered on strengthening AND growing the triceps, including extra workout sessions (I did 3 last week) where I may throw in tricep work. I am thinking since my back grows like a weed, I may either throw DB pressing as a 5th exercise for upper body, or right out replace certain back exercises for DB pressing on some days, which kind of sounds like a bad idea so I'll make sure to get some opinions on how to approach this. I just don't want to lose muscle here when I don't need to, especially since I need the extra pec work as a raw presser.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
07/11/12

ME UPPER

Warmed up with 50 band pull-aparts followed by 50 band rows

135-5
185-3
225-2
245-1
265-1 <-- max effort

FOOTBALL BAR JM PRESS
65-10
75-8
85-6,6,6
Struggled to death for those 6 reps, pretty embarassing. Also tricep pump from hell

STANDING DB PRESS
40-10
50-10
60-3

WIDE DB ROW
100-6
110-6,6
Don't like these, my shoulder feels like it's going to die

FACEPULLS
140-15,15

Well, a few comments. First, I made the mistake of doing some movements too light, like the DB presses. Apparently I should always strive for a 6RM on ME days. I'm not convinced this is right, but I believe it when it comes to stuff like back and tricep work. I also ordered my exercises wrong - should have done bench, tricep, lat, then shoulder work, not do shoulder work before lat work. That's all, though. Took a little bit longer than expected for the workout (about 1.5 hours) due to me listening to advice from a PL in my gym (just raw benched 695 this past weekend at a meet in OHIO). Lots of good stuff. Next week I'll start working in some conditioning into my routine. Another piece of good advice is to take my time moving up to my maxes in my core lifts. The way I did it today I didn't get a lot of volume.
Regarding the 6RM, this is highly individual and may not apply to you. I know I've gotten better increases in strength lately from backing off on the weight that I'm using and focusing on training the muscle as opposed to the movement. You may want to alternate your intensity on your assistance work with one week working up to 6-8RM and the next week do sets of 12-15 that stop well short of failure.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Regarding the 6RM, this is highly individual and may not apply to you. I know I've gotten better increases in strength lately from backing off on the weight that I'm using and focusing on training the muscle as opposed to the movement. You may want to alternate your intensity on your assistance work with one week working up to 6-8RM and the next week do sets of 12-15 that stop well short of failure.
Thanks. Always appreciate your input.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/16/12

ME LOWER

REVERSE BAND RACK GOOD MORNINGS (blue bands)
295-3
335-3
355-3
365-1 <-- lower back rounded on 2nd one too much, dumped

SUMO SLDL
185-3
225-3
265-5
285-5
305-5
325-5
Phew, hamstrings feel pretty trashed but in a good way this time

LYING HAMSTRING CURLS
140-6
160-6,6 (repeated 160 by mistake)
180-5

CALF RAISE
25 left leg, 25 right leg, 50 together, back to back

LYING UNI V SIT LEG RAISE
3 sets of 12 each side/leg

Great session. I feel like I could have gotten at least a double on the GM maybe, but I really tread cautiously with such movements and don't want to cause permanent damage, and I feel that my form broke down enough to dump it. So, in the end, I consider it just a failed attempt rather than me prematurely stopping.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sumo SLDL...interesting.

I'm considering going WS, so I'm following along. Our strength is pretty similar so this should give me some solid ideas.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sumo SLDL...interesting.

I'm considering going WS, so I'm following along. Our strength is pretty similar so this should give me some solid ideas.
Word. The sumo SLDLs are really great if you want to light up your hamstrings. It's a movement I plan on coming back to for sure as I really love the way they feel, the only problem is because I did something strange to my hamstrings last week with them that really made them almost "too" sore to be healthy, I decided to take it really easy. Interestingly, I feel like since the incident I have a little more hip mobility from it. Weird?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/18/12

ME UPPER

VERY CLOSE GRIP FLOOR PRESS (+52lb of chains)
185-3
215-2
235-1
245-1
225-1
235-1
Apparently I didn't take in as much air as I should have on these, and I lost some tension at the bottom with 245. But the 245 and 235 sets were like almost 6 second grinders, so effort was definitely exerted.

TATE PRESS
40-4 <- started too heavy
30-6
35-6,6,6 <-- did not feel anything, went up in weight
40-6
45-6
50-6
55-0
50-6
Obviously I worked up the wrong way with these, good to know though. It's because the DBs are weirder and not those commercial ones that have uniform DB heads - it's like individual, sectioned plates on the handles. Little weird to do the Tate press with these.

BO BB ROWS
135-10
185-6
225-6
275-6
295-10 easy but challenging (not balls to the wall)

ROW AND KETTLEBELL HOLD COMPETITION (has a name to it I forgot)
Row 250m, then hold 52lb kettlebells in hand in racked position (can't sit on shoulders, on traps, etc, only on top of chest hanging off the sides of the arms)
My team got 2nd place, 4 seconds behind the team of girls, by 4 seconds. Slightly because my first row set I flew off the rowing chair (never did rows before). Also our KBs were 60lbs higher than theirs ... but now I'm bitching and making excuses like a girl, LOL.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess I'll start logging my extra workouts just to keep track of the fact I'm doing it, and maybe to see progress if there is any.

07/19/12

BENCH EXTRA

INVERTED ROWS ( <=1 minute between sets)

INCLINE DB PRESS // STANDING AB CRUNCHES
60x19//120x15
60x10//140x12
60x13//140x12
60x8//140x12
Incline DB press done to failure.

Session took all of ~18 minutes. Misread/wrote-down-incorrectly that I'm supposed to switch the angles within the same session, not between sessions where I incorporate the press. Woops! At least incline is somewhere between seated DB OHP and flat DB press I guess ... I might superset the rows and bench next time instead of rows and abs.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/20/12

DE LOWER

SQUATS (long blue bands)
250-12x2
40 sec break btwn sets
First set ultra slow, 3rd set and after was fast with the last set being the fastest

RACK PULLS (5th pin, small Blue band)
365-8x1
Each rep done on the minute

GHR
**** lost serious strength in these today. Might be because my baseline strength was measured with fresh legs

HANGING AB RIPPER
3x12

STANDING UNI HAM CURL
60-10
65-10

Session had me drenched and dying. Feeling pretty good stuffing my face right now with 9oz ground beef, 9oz salmon, 6oz ground oats cooked in 1.5cups of milk and a scoop of protein mixed in, a bowl of blueberries and blackberries, and a glass of grapefruit juice. Oh, and a banana with some figs.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a hell of a post-training meal.
The funny part is I forgot to mention that I also had 5 eggs with that all.

----------

07/21/12

EXTRA LEGS

REVERSE HYPER
50-10,10,10

KROC ROWS (hand resting on tall box)
70-10
90-10
110-20,20

STANDING AB ROPE CRUNCH
120-20,20,20

Those reverse hypers felt so bad on my glutes and hams, in a good way. I think I figured out how to work the reverse hyper machine for my body and the way the machine is set up to best target my muscles. I just have to verify since it also gives me a lower back pump, something I haven't felt in probably a good year.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/22/12

DE UPPER

50 band pullaparts, 50 band rows
2x10 staggered pushups each side (40 total)

BUFFALO BAR BENCH (+60lbs band tension [small red bands])
135-9x3
arms blasted

**SUPERSET 2 BELOW**

INCLINE EZ BAR SKULLS
87-12,12,10,8,7

NAUTILUS PULLOVER
160-12,12,12,12,12
Went all way back till click

DB SIDE RAISES
20-15,15,15,15

WIDE LAT BAR CABLE CURLS
100-15
120-12,12,12

My triceps and lats feel like they're twice their normal size right now, even an hour after I worked out.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/23/12

ME LOWER

DEAD ZERCHER SQUATS (harness)
135-5
225-3
275-3
305-3
325-3 (did 2, dropped, then recovered from dead pos)
355-3 (failed first attempt, dropped bar
385-3
Stopped, felt like I was about to have a rectal prolapse

UNI LEG PRESS (weight minus carriage)
90-6
180-6
230-6
250-6
270-6

WIDE PULL-THROUGHS
60-10
80-10
100-10
120-10
140-10
(hits gluteus and hams)

FACEPULLS
140-3x15

BLACK BAND TRICEP PULLDOWNS

SIDE BENDS
80-3x15

My lower body feels utterly decimated. And I dont know what was up with those ZErchers. Each 3 rep attempt felt like hell, but the next attempt was no harder; however, as I said, I felt like my anus was going to fall out of my body, so I stopped. Also didnt attempt any front squats for similar reasons.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/24/12

EXTRA LOWER

70lb KB swings 12x25 (12 sets of 25, 30 seconds rest in between)

UNI LEG CURLS
60-3x15

KNEELING ROPE AB CRUNCH
150-15,15

PLANKS 3x1 min

Seems a little silly to log this now, but whatever.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
​07/25/12

ME UPPER

DEAD STOP INCLINE PRESS
135-3
185-3
205-2
225-0
215-1,1
220-1

JM PRESS
95-7
115-6
125-6
135-6
Had to stop these for reasons I'd rather not get into...

FOOTBALL JM PRESS
95-6,6
85-6
95-5

**SS 2 BELOW**

UNI INCLINE LATERAL RAISES \\ FOOTBALL BAR CURLS
15-6,6,6,6 \\ 95-8,8,8,8

KB SHRUGS
70lb/side-100

Well today's workout was kind of so so. I had an opportunity to make this a 100% awesome upper workout, but some issues came up with the station/bar I was using with the JM press so I switched. The new thing had me working with lower weight, and while it was hell to move it I just don't know how well it'll hit me. I'll wait and judge tomorrow, though. Otherwise, good stuff. Almost hit an ugly wall with those dead stop inclines, but I was happy to go through it.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/26/12

UPPER EXTRA

SEATED DB CLEANS
20-3x20

DB ROWS
70-10
90-10
110-15

130-15

PUSHUPS // KNEELING ROPE ABS
35// 120-20
27// 140-15
0// 140-15

Demanding (not draining) session. It was pretty hot and I was sweating a ton. Upper back felt pretty worked, though, haha.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They don't seem like much on the surface, but those seated DB cleans can be brutal.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They don't seem like much on the surface, but those seated DB cleans can be brutal.
Agreed. You have zero momentum from the legs, so it's all in the pull. I do them like DeFranco shows them, with hands fully pronated as opposed to a neutral grip. I tried it with a neutral grip on my warmup set, but it felt too much like a curl then, lol.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/27/12

DE LOWER

SPEED SQUATS (blue band)
265-10x2

SPEED RACK PULLS (5th pin small blue band)
385-8x1

GHR

Clearly a bad exercise after de work

STANDING HAM CURL
60-12,12

HANGING AB RIPPER
4x12

These GHRs are driving me nuts. A few months ago, I was able to crank out 8-9 bodyweight GHRs with 4 second negatives per rep. I guess maybe I'm frying my posterior chain with the DE work, so my ability to do GHRs really sucks. Either way, would still like to be able to do more of these. They're like max effort to get 6 reps. I'll try and work them in during my small workouts.

Typical PWO meal:

phpkdc0FoPM.jpg

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/29/12

DE BENCH

50 band pullaparts, 50 band rows
2x10 staggered pushups each side (40 total)

BUFFALO BAR BENCH (+60 in band tension)
145-9x3
Arms really sore

EZ BAR FENCH PRESS // NAUTILUS PULLOVER
92.5-11,12,10,10,8 // 170-12,12,12,12,12

WIDE LAT BAR CABLE CURLS // FACEPULLS
120-12,12,12, // 140-12,12,12

Pretty good workout today. I was very fast on the bench. I had a problem with my "wide grip" (pinky on the ring of the buffalo bar) where my shoulder blade kept slipping out of position. I was holding my back tight, and my abs were braced pretty well, so I think it's because the bench I'm on is so thin. It's common for me to have this happen on thin benches because my back is so wide (remember, I'm 6'3"). Anyways, so my shoulder was a little sore as a consequence, but nothing too big deal. Everything else went well. Next time I will be switching the bar for DE bench, and I will switch my accessory work. Probably will be lat pulldowns and something else, or seated rows and something else (for triceps). I have no problem always alternating some sort of french press/skullcrusher though on DE days for now, though, and keeping pressing on ME days.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/30/12

ME LOWER

DEAD ZERCHER SQUATS (harness)
135-5
225-3
275-3
315-3
365-3
385-3
405-2+1 <--- not fully locked out on 3rd, it was almost there but when I tried to get my upper back straight my hips kind of slacked and I just fell. PR
415-0 <-- almost made it, hips didn't want to lock out

UNI LEG PRESS (weight minus carriage)
90-6
180-6
270-6
300-6
320-6 <-- definitely intense PR

WIDE PULL-THROUGHS
80-10
100-10
120-10
140-10,10
(hits gluteus and hams)

THICK GREEN + THIN BLUE GMs
12,12 <-- if I keep my shoulder blades real tight, FRIES upper back

ROPE ABS
Stuff

LAT BAR TRI PULLDOWNS
95-20
110-20
120-20
130-20

Nothing much to say here. The workout speaks for itself. It was quite an intense day, lots of effort put into this. I really still need to do much work on my squat groove, so next week I may do some cambered bar squats instead of moving on to pulls. Not 100% sure yet. I leave the country after next week, so we'll see where I go. My legs are also thoroughly gone. Dropped the lat bar on top of my head by mistake, but otherwise very happy today.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
07/31/12

EXTRA LOWER

Dragged a sled with 115lbs behind me using big strides, back and forth across a 10 yard piece of pavement, for 30 minutes straight non-stop. Felt pretty raw afterwards, also my right adductor feels like it's going to pop.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/01/12

ME UPPER

DEAD STOP INCLINE PRESS
135-3
185-3
205-2
215-1
225-1
230-1 PR
**** YES

JM PRESS
95-7
135-6
155-6
175-6 bad reps
165-6 so so reps
165-6

FLATBAR TRI PUSHDOWNS
110-15
130-15
140-15
150-15

UNI INCLINE LATERAL RAISES
15-6
20-6,6,6

HAMMER CURLS
50-12,12,12,12

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/03/12

DE LOWER

CAMBERED BAR SQUATS (thick green, 90lbs band tension; I think bar is 45lbs?)
135-2x2
185-10x2
These were shallow squats, not to parallel
Next week I'll use 45-35-5x2=215lbs or 170 minus bar for 10 sets
3 mats next time

SPEED PULLS (double red bands)
225-8x2
Ass and upper back fried

LYING HAM CURLS
110-12
130-12,12,10,10

NEUTRAL GRIP PULLUPS // AB WHEEL
10,10,9 // 8,8,8

God was I feeling dead after this. Also went to a concert this weekend that was killer, but it was hard standing up and moving around there. My legs were so tired.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/05/12

DE UPPER

50 pullaparts, 50 rows
2 sets staggered pushups x 10

CAMBERED BAR BENCH (60lbs band tension)
135-3x3
115-6x3
Forearms hurting bad. Not a big fan

TATE PRESS
35-12,12,12
40-12

KROC ROWS
110-20
130-22 PR

BOSU ABS // BICEP CURLS
25,25,25,25 // 35-10,10,10

I wanted to do more work on my off the chest bench, so I decided to try out cambered bar bench for DE. The dude at my gym thought this was a good idea as well. However, I'm not sure how much I like it - I kind of don't. I go really slow even with just the bar because it just feels funny to me, and my forearms are getting completely trashed by this. Now, it feels more like a "forearm workout" soreness than a "something is going really wrong/bad form" soreness, but we'll see. Anyways, won't do DE bench for a while after this. Maybe it'll be better when I get back on the 21st.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/06/12

ME LOWER

HEXBAR DL (handles down)
480-1
490-1
500-1 PR

ULTRA-WIDE DB SLDL
30-6
35-6
40-6
45-6
50-6
55-6

REVERSE HYPERS (SWINGING)
90-10
180-10
230-10,10,10

Well, I decided to try something out I haven't done in a long while - hex DL. I did it with the handles facing the floor, so the bar was the same depth as it would be had it been a straightbar DL. Well, I was somewhat humbled by the weight. It really is not at all like a normal deadlift. In fact, as I sit here typing almost 90 minutes after my last attempt I am feeling shin splints from this lift (or possibly something else not recorded in my log). Those sumo DB SLDLs were such a straight pain in the ass, literally, and hamstrings. I then tried to do some heavy sled pulls, but quite frankly I could barely move 90lbs, let alone try and budge 135 (I had set up with 225, got nothing). This is the same guy who did 30 minutes straight of sled pulling 115, so I assume my legs were fried. I went to do reverse hypers instead. I felt pretty tired and my abs were very worked after the reverse hypers, so I called it a day. Bad news is I've been trying to clean bulk, but I noticed from last week (Friday) that my waist is up a good inch and a half. That's not good. That could be some bloating but I have no idea from what, considering I did not feel bloated. It could be from doing abs as well the day before - I know my abs are really distended the day after doing abs. However, I am still a little worried - we'll see.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/08/12

ME UPPER

CHAIN BUFF BAR BENCH (+52lb at top)
235-1
245-1
255-1,1

DB PRESS // DB ROW
40-6 // 80-6
60-6 // 100-6
70-6 // 130-6
75-6 // 160-6
75-6 // 160-6
80-4+2 // 160-6

LAT PULLDOWN
180-6
200-6
210-6
210-6
Lat really sore/in pain from Monday, stopped here

Well, this was a very disappointing workout. I had a sore lat from doing something Monday ... it's been sore for about a day and change. My bench basically equated to a 307lb bench at the top ... and it was ass hard. It shouldn't have been so hard, it should have been easier, seeing how before I started powerlifting I had a 315 flat bench, which I achieved in spite of being in tremendous pain. Anyways, got work to do here. Spotter noted I was really good off the chest with the bench but stalled about a fist's length up - since my back is not a problem (though firing with it could be), pretty sure this is a shoulder problem, which makes some sense. I shall start having to hit these with regularity, and I will be either adding them before back work or dropping back work altogether on certain days (of course making it up later). We will see.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/21/12

ME LOWER

5-PIN RACK PULL
135-5
405-4
495-1
525-0,1

CLOSE STANCE HIGH BOX SSB SQUATS
245-5
295-5
335-4

GHR
15,12,6 <--- I dont know why I substantially lost strength on these, maybe because I didnt have creatine for almost 2 weeks and since I did these with like 1-2 minute break in between. I figured out/was told how to use the GHR at my gym, it's different from the one at my old gym, and on this one you do NOT support your knees on the pads; if you let them hang off, it's a world of difference and a lot easier to rep out.

LAT PULLDOWNS
160-10
180-10,10

2 SETS WEIGHTED PLANKS, 2 SETS STATIC SIDE BEND/HOLDS PER SIDE

This was a hard session to come back to. Low on strength, but truly pushed myself on everything. I was surprised how tortuous those close stance high box squats were, but they really were, especially on my upper back. Probably because I destroyed myself doing the rack pulls. Doing some rehab work today, be back later.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/21/12

EXTRA LOWER

REVERSE HYPEREXTENSIONS
90-10
180-10
230-10
250-10,10,10
Started these slow and controlled, revved up to swinging reverse hypers but contracting strongly throughout descent

FACEPULLS
110-15
130-15,15,15

About 15-20 minute workout, just getting the blood flowing especially to the whole of the posterior chain. Things were feeling somewhat tight and numb today so I felt I had to do this or risk paralyzing soreness for the next 4-5 days.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/22/12

ME UPPER

PRE-HAB: 7x10 band pull-apart circuit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVehf-8FAxQ&feature=player_embedded

FLOOR PRESS
225-1255-1
135-5
185-3
225-3
265-1
275-1
280-1
285-1 PR

BIFORD PRESS//UNI LAT PULLDOWN
75-6 // 90-6
95-6 // 100-6
115-6 // 105-6
125-6 // 110-6

REVERSE UNI TRI PULLDOWNS
60-10,12,12,12

5/5/5 LOW INCLINE, MIDDLE INCLINE, HIGH INCLINE CURLS

Really happy with today's workout. Nailed a great PR (never had a real PR for floor press, maybe a 185 lol), and all my other work really created a good burn/workout. I whizzed through this workout in about 45 minutes and don't feel taxed, either. I feel that's the Erase Pro, Anabeta Elite, DAA, Endosurge, and carnitines and nutrition being all on point. Also what helps is not moving around heavy weight since I was doing a lot of unilateral stuff.

I have to watch my middle back right now. I dinked it doing rack pulls the other day, and trying to foam roll it today hurt so bad. But towards the end I did a static stretch on the position of pain and the pain went away. I should have tried some more foam rolling after to see if the pain would be gone while doing that, but I forgot. I'll just foam roll tomorrow again.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Getting work done!

deadlift hand.jpg

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
8/23/12

EXTRA UPPER

**SUPERSET ROWS WITH PRESSES**

TBAR ROWS
90-10
135-10
180-7
160-10,8

DB BENCH TO FAILURE
75-19,15

DB PRESS TO FAILURE
45-20,20

REAR DELT STUFF

20 minute workout including warmups. I am completely out of shape. I was hyperventilating.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/24/12

DE LOWER

SAFETY SQUAT BAR SPEED SQUATS (+240lb tension at top) (bar weight TBD, probably 65lbs like the Westside, EFS, and York SSB bars)
185-2x2
205-10x2
First 7 really fast, last 2 slow
EVERYTHING WAS MURDERED

DB STEPUPS
25s-5x10

REVERSE HYPER
90-10
180-10
270-10,10,10

HANGING AB RIPPER

This was the most brutal DE lower day of my life. I don't know what happened, but those speed squats were flying. I actually did my first set of the 185 without a belt, and then I realized I usually put them on for speed work (considering the bar is like 425 at the top). Things took off from there. But once I was done with my 12 sets, I was done. I could have gone home it was so bad. My hams and glutes were demolished. So there was no way on Earth I could do speed pulls, so I did the other stuff instead.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/26/12

DE UPPER

Warmed up with 7x10 band work for shoulder health and 2x10 med ball slams

SPEED BENCH (+60lb band tension)
145-9x3
3 different grips, good speed

CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS
135-10
165-10
185-10
195-10,8
185-9

VBAR PUSHDOWNS TO FAILURE

45 DEGREE SCAPATIONS
15-12,12
20-12,12

KROC ROWS
130-22,18
Couldn't really hold onto the DB with these gloves. Hand is still messed up so wearing gloves.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That new band work that those sadistic bastards at elitefts sets my shoulders on FIRE. Holy balls.

Quite humbling for band stuff.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That new band work that those sadistic bastards at elitefts sets my shoulders on FIRE. Holy balls.

Quite humbling for band stuff.
I've been doing some pull-aparts for a while now, so a lot of the overhand stuff isn't bad for me. But I never thought about doing it with a supinated grip as well. That hits things in a brand new way!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/28/12

ME LOWER

SSB GOOD MORNINGS
155-3
205-3
235-3
255-3
275-3
285-3
295-0 bar slipped off

UNI LEG PRESS
180-6
270-6
300-6
320-6
330-6

LYING HAM CURLS
145-6
160-6
175-6
180-6

V-SIT RAISE PER LEG
3x12

Ridiculous soreness in the legs, wobble in the hips. Guess I had a good workout! On the 285, and actually on the 255 with the good mornings, I had a problem with the bar rolling off over my head. I am pretty sure this is indicative of doing something wrong, possibly including setting the pins too low. Will try with them a pin higher next time. But yeah, good session. Might do a squat next week before doing pulling work again.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
08/29/12

ME UPPER

3 BOARD BENCH
bar-5
95-5
135-5

185-3
225-3
Added boards
255-3
275-1
295-1
315-1,1,1,1,1
Made corrections each set, each set was faster than the last up thru 5th

PRISON PRESS (DBs)
65-6
85-6,6,6,5

DOUBLE PYRAMID LAT RAISE
(15-12
20-10
25-8
30-6) x 2
30 sec between sets, 90 seconds between pyramids

VBAR LAT PULLDOWNS
140-6
170-6
200-6
220-6
230-6 barely

Well, this was a great lesson in benching that I could never have learned during my speed bench session. A trainer at my gym spotted me with 315 and noticed I wasn't properly loading my upper back with the bench, I hesitated and held the bar out too long after unracking, and I didn't take enough air in before unracking (so normally I would take an extra breath after unracking). I made some corrections, gripped the bar and really pushed myself into the bench to set up, then unracked and benched, quickly, and things improved a lot each time. By my 5th single the bar flew after touching the board.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Too tired to go into gym Thursday. Got back really late. Yesterday, I got back home around 8pm as well, and was fairly tired. Got out the tub of Muscle Marinade I've been hiding. Didn't hit like a freight train, but I sure as hell woke up!

08/31/12

DE LOWER

SPEED SAFETY SQUAT BAR SQUATS (+120 lb band tension)
60-3
150-2
200-2
240-1,1,1
260-1
280-1
295-1
300-1
310-1
320-1
325-1
340-1

GHR
BW-15
10-9
BW-14,11

THICK GREEN + THIN BLUE GM

ROPE AB CRUNCHES
120-15
140-10,10

FACEPULLS
130-15
140-15,15

Worked up to a max of sorts instead of a traditional DE day. This was a very helpful session, and I got to really train my squat form which has recently gone to ****. Instead of squatting, I've been going down first, then back. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, but a small part of this has to do with me having forgotten how it's like to squat with a safety bar squat. Towards the end I finally got my form down, although my heaviest set looked pretty ugly but not totally unlike a squat. After, I did GHRs to really destroy the legs, and did some upper back work.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/01/12

EXTRA LOWER

**SUPERSET THE BELOW**

GHR // PULLUPS
5x12 // 5x10
(means 5 sets of 12 or 5 sets of 10)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/02/12

DE UPPER

Did 7x10 band circuit for shoulders, and 2x10 med ball slams. Foam rolled the **** out of my lats and triceps to see what I can start doing on that front (too hard to explain the issue right now, pretty sure I know how to fix it though)

SPEED BENCH (+60lb band tension)
155-9x3
Used 3 different grips

CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS
165-10
185-10
195-10,9
185-8

45 DEGREE SCAPTIONS
15-12
20-12,12,11

KROC ROWS
130-25 PR, 20
Burnt out with these, couldn't hold on to them (no straps)

Pretty good session today. Was sweating like a mother. Unfortunately I had to use a ghetto bench for my benching today, so I couldn't practice some of the things I learned on my last ME day today, mostly because I absolutely couldn't get my feet behind me like normal (bench was too low to the ground). It was fast but not flying like it could have. Those CGBP were really quite beautiful. The form on them was spectacular. I am experiencing a slight change in my bench form from having done it Westside style, and it's starting to show. If I can really nail the tempo I think I will have found my groove on it.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/03/12

ME LOWER

Note: no max effort lift done today as I maxed on my DE day. Increased supplemental/assistance work

DC LEG PRESS (weight minus carriage)
270-10
450-6
630-6
720-6
770-12
590-20
Did these piston style. It was the most god-awful thing I've ever done. Spread legs at bottom to increase ROM without rounding back. Experienced no tingling/itching, therefore did not engage lower back (great)
I did not work up to a 6 rep max as I had no spotter for this. I have failed the leg press in the past and was unable to rescue myself by pushing up on my knees. Thus I just did a 12 rep max.

SAFETY SQUAT BAR GOOD MORNINGS
110-8
150-8
170-8
180-8
190-8
Form was good until here, then stopped. I realized I really need a belt on these to maintain form, even with low weight. If I don't use a belt, I either arch my back or bend my knees too much, and then the load is shifted away from the hamstrings.

STANDING UNI LEG CURLS
50-6
60-6
70-6
80-6
90-6
95-6

I think I did some more, but I can't remember it at the moment.

I wanted to do an extra gym session yesterday, but I slept nearly nothing Monday night. This happens with really intense leg workouts. I also had some concerns in my mind related to issues in my life (nothing bad per se), so I think the stress woke me up at 430am. When I got back from work around 6 last night, I just went to bed and slept until 8am this morning. I'll just do some simple cardio today instead of my ME upper, and I'll move ME upper to Thursday. I have classes now Wednesday evenings until late October, so I may consider shifting my whole schedule by a day for ease.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/06/12

ME UPPER

7x10 band circuit for shoulders, 2x10 med ball slams

Bar-5
95-3
135-3
185-3
205-2
225-2
235-1
245-1
255-1
265-1
270-1 PR +5lb (might have been a 25lb PR since I actually think I got some help when I grinded through 265, even though it was just some light tapping)
Also, unracked these by myself/no spotter. Kind of messed up the form a bit but getting pretty good with decreasing hesitation time and digging my upper back down into the ground.

SEATED SHOULDER PRESS
95-6
135-6
145-6
155-6
165-2 <-- failed on third rep

LAT BAR TRI PUSHDOWNS
80-6
100-6
110-6,6,6
120-6

V-GRIP SEATED ROWS
180-8
200-8
220-8
240-8
Surprisingly great form on everything until last 2 reps of 240. Used a little momentum

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
09/08/12

DE LOWER

Used a roller for adductors, foam rolled abductors, and lacross ball'd the glutes

SPEED SQUATS (+120lb band tension) (assuming this is the 55lb texas bar)
105-2
145-2
175-2
215-12x2
Nice and fast, 11th one was slow but 12th was fast

SPEED SUMO PULLS (+240lb band tension)
135-2
225-8x2
Used hook grip. Hands felt like **** during these, feels like it's going to tear the skin between my thumb and pointer

GHR
BW-15
+10-12
+20-10,12,10

THICK GREEN + THIN BLUE BAND GM

ROPE AB CRUNCHES
120-15
140-12,11

Well, I found out that DE lower days are a great decongestant, lol. Retard amounts of mucus was flying out of my nose. My shirt is just drenched in it, lol. Anyways, felt good afterwards. My legs feel it the most as they're pretty fried. My upper back feels pretty worked, too, which is fantastic. Those speed sumo pulls are pretty rough. I think I need to widen my grip, because at the top my hands are being smooshed by my thighs, which I feel with heavy weight would cut off circulation and would make me drop the weight. I'll ask someone who would know better. Otherwise, a good session.