First workout log

boogyman

Awards
I decided to make my first training log, as I am starting a new routine tomorrow it seems like a good time to start one. I guess I'll start by where I am in my training.

I am 35 years old, 5'8, 175lbs. I started weight training for the first time in a little over a year about 2 1/2 months ago. I have been away from weights due to an injury, then training for endurance events, followed by another injury. I am completely 100% now and feel really good. I did starting strength for the first few months to get back into doing heavy compound lifts and get my strength up to decent levels. I am going to move into a 5x5 starting monday (the Bill Starr/Madcow version). I am eating a few hundred over maintance and have gained about 10lbs in about 10 weeks. I don't count calories or macros, but I have a good feel of what I need to eat and have never had any problems bulking or losing weight when I wanted to. I try and keep my protein high, carbs and fat moderate.

My lifts right now are as follows (all 3x5 rep maxes):

Squat 240lbs
Bench 180lbs
Deadlift 270lbs
Overhead Press 120lbs
Row 145lbs (row is lagging, I was doing pullups and cleans for a while. Decided to switch to rows, and started pretty light, I think they will come up quick)

Going to use these weight tomorrow on the last heavy set to start the 5x5:

Squat 235
Bench 175
Row 150

Supplements currently using or starting this week:

Staples:
Creatine Monohydrate: 4 grams a day
Beta Alanine: 2 grams twice a day
Citrulline Malate: 6 grams pre workout, 3 grams off days
Orange Triad for multi
Fish oil caps: 1 gram 3 times a day
ALCAR: 1 gram twice a day
Preworkout is Focus XT

I am currently and almost done using this stack:

Anabeta Elite
Erase Pro
Daa

I am pretty new to supplements. When the current stack is done I am going to wait about 2 months then take the same stack with IGF-2 added.

Comments or suggestions are welcome

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Recomp or bulk?

Anyhow, good suggestions:
-Watch diet more than supps
-Keep track of kCalories and macros
-What are your eating habits? Add them here.

Supp Suggestion:
-If bulking , ditch the multi , unless you need the joint support from Orange triad. Mainly eat more fruits/veggies for micronutrients
-Beta-Alanine always post workout , good to separate in different doses throughout the day.
-Good creatine mono dosage , doesn't matter any time you take it.
-If you have been on stims for 8 weeks or more take the hormonal break as a stim break too.
-Keep Citruilline malate at 6 grams ED
-Try to keep ALCAR dosage in a fasted state for more nootropic and 'leaning" effects , if you take them with meals it gets stored as muscle carnitine

Workout suggestion:
-Doesn't hurt to add some Body Weight or Body Weight + added weight , compound assistance to help with the main lifts, I.E. Pull/Hammer/Chin Ups , Dips , Chest Dips.

Oh yeah...Subbed, good luck!

boogyman

Awards
Recomp or bulk?

Anyhow, good suggestions:
-Watch diet more than supps
-Keep track of kCalories and macros
-What are your eating habits? Add them here.

Supp Suggestion:
-If bulking , ditch the multi , unless you need the joint support from Orange triad. Mainly eat more fruits/veggies for micronutrients
-Beta-Alanine always post workout , good to separate in different doses throughout the day.
-Good creatine mono dosage , doesn't matter any time you take it.
-If you have been on stims for 8 weeks or more take the hormonal break as a stim break too.
-Keep Citruilline malate at 6 grams ED
-Try to keep ALCAR dosage in a fasted state for more nootropic and 'leaning" effects , if you take them with meals it gets stored as muscle carnitine

Workout suggestion:
-Doesn't hurt to add some Body Weight or Body Weight + added weight , compound assistance to help with the main lifts, I.E. Pull/Hammer/Chin Ups , Dips , Chest Dips.

Oh yeah...Subbed, good luck!
Goals are strength gain more than anything. A few lbs would be nice, but I have been gaining about a lb a week. I am going to keep my diet the way it is for now, and in the winter I may give Leangains a try. But my with my weight and strength progressing nicely, I am going to keep doing what I have been. A sample days diet would be as follows:

Wake up at 0400
Have a shake at 0430
Workout from 0500 to 0600
Have another shake after working out with a banana and a quick carb (whole wheat english muffin, some oatmeal, ect)
(I understand some people will bash having 2 shakes as my first 2 "meals", but my mornings are very compacted as far as time, I have things I need to do in the hour before working out, and I also need to get right to work after the gym. This is one of the reasons I am considering Leangains in the near future. Also note I don't use shakes again for the rest of the day, and on non workout days I eat a breakfast of 4 eggs, oatmeal, and some fruit.)

0800 a Large meal of chicken or some sort of beef, carbs (rice, pasta, potatos) and veggies
1100 a couple sandwiches on whole wheat or rye bread (tuna, turkey usually)
1330 another meal, usually the same as the 0800 one (i'm a big leftover guy, whatever I had for dinner the night before is usually what I eat at work the next day)
1500 nuts, a Cliff Builders bar, or another protein snack or some sort
1730 dinner, a large meal of meat, carbs and veggies
2000 another protein snack of some sort, and some fruit

As for the supplements, like I said I never used them before. But I am getting to the age where the testosterone boosting supplements really help, this is my first go with them and I feel they really have helped me get close to where I was before my long break. I do use the Triad for the joint support (knees are creaky lol). I eat veggies a few times a day, but the multi certainly can't hurt and I do feel it helps with energy throughout the day. I also seem to have better digestion since taking the Triad. I don't use stims a ton, only on workout days, and a coffee here and there on the weekend. The other supps I feel I have the dosage where it needs to be. I do take the ALCAR fasted first thing in the morning, and about 30 minutes before my 1100 meal. I may try The CM at 6 grams on off days, I have only been using it for a couple weeks. Creatine I take in either a shake, or just throw it in some water and chug it in the morning.

Finally, I do do some accessory work, as a matter of fact I do pretty much everything you listed. A lot of it is done on friday in the routine I am doing, to allow for the 2 days of extra rest.

boogyman

Awards
Quick update and thoughts.

Had an excellent workout monday. Hitting my targeted weights was not difficult, as it shouldn't be 1st week of a 5x5. I ate a lot of food monday, and a lot of veggies. I was pretty hungry all day, so the veggies helped me not eat too much.

Tuesday was an off day. I did play basketball for about 3 hours after work, and got pretty beat up physically. Going to move my normal early morning workout to after work to give me an extra 12 hours to recoup. I ate lots of red meat today, 3 8 ounce steaks and 2 6 ounce burgers.

Tomorrow is a light day for squats, and the heavy overhead pressing and deadlifts. Going to also do some abs, but only 3-4 sets.

One problem I have been having, that has not effected me yet but will, is sleep. I don't get as much as I need, and sometims I suffer from insomnia. It comes and goes a few weeks out of the year. I have been using ZMA and sleep good, but its creeping up on me again. I may have to try catching a nap a few times a week to help make up for it.

Lastly, I have been reading a lot about Leangains lately, and the more I read about it the more it seems it may be for me. I am seriously thinking of trying it out (the early morning workout template that has you lifting in the morning, and eating first meal in the afternoon).

boogyman

Awards
Just finished my workout. I was pretty strange working out in the late afternoon, I got so used to going early AM. Workout was good, I took a scalding hot bath right after work for my knees, they were still a little banged up from playing ball yesterday. I hit all my weights, but deadlift was more of a struggle than it should have been. I'll chalk it up to being tired and having my routine broken and continue to move on.

I am going to start Leangains tomorrow. I figured the first day should be a non training day.

boogyman

Awards
Just had my first meal of the day. 2 large boneless chicken breasts, some noodles and brussel sprouts. Waiting untill 11am to eat was not really all that bad. Tomorrow is a workout day, so hopefully I can get through it and be on my way.

Oh, and going to pick up a bottle of 200mg caffeine pills today to use on non workout days in the morning (I use FocusXT preworkout).

boogyman

Awards
Had a great workout this morning. All my lifts felt strong, and I felt great at the end of my workout. I bumped my calories up today, had a huge pile of london broil slices, some rice and veggies for my first meal. Second meal was a large turkey and cheese sub. Had a protein shake as a snack, with a banana. And my final meal was a homemade triple cheeseburger on a whole wheat bun.

This weekend is going to be interesting. I am used to waking up, and making and eating a large breakfast with my wife and kids. I'll still make breakfast, but not being able to eat it sucks lol. Going to keep the carbs low this weekend, and try and eat most of them in my first meal each day.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
subb

boogyman

Awards
No workouts this weekend. Had a 5 egg omlette with cheese, a large ham steak and a whole wheat english muffin with butter and honey for 1st meal, with a huge cup of milk. Going to have a single cheeseburger now. My last 2 meals are going to be the same, both a small steak with veggies, with a whey shake thrown in between them.

A note on sleep. As I posted the past few days I have been having trouble sleeping. The past 2 nights I got very good sleep, hopefully this continues. I think my good Friday workout was a direct result of being very well rested.

boogyman

Awards
Another off day, look forward to killing it again tomorrow morning.

One thing I forgot to mention from fridays workout, and its a pretty big deal. I have had sciatic nerve problems in the past, and it started acting up during my rows. Its pretty painful, I think I am going to have to stop doing them for a while. As a replacement I am going to do 8 rep sets of seated low cable rows and 10 rep sets of face pulls to get my horizontal pulling in. I also am going to do some more pullups, neutral grip with slow, full range of motion reps.

Rows are the only thing that seems to bother it, and as much as I want to do them, I don't want to compromise the rest of my training.

Ok, almost time to eat! First meal is going to be leftovers, I have a small steak in the fridge, going to make another omlette(4 eggs), some whole wheat toast, and a banana with a giant glass of milk (been drinking lots of milk lately). I have been not eating veggies with my first large meal so I can make sure I have enough room for tons of protien and my cars, but my other 3 meals always include veggies.

boogyman

Awards
Had another excellent workout yesterday, hit all my weights and felt really good.

Diet was pretty good also, had 2 large grilled center cut pork chops, huge pile mashed potatos and veggies first meal. 2 small chicken break cutlets on a roll second meal, a protein shake and fruit as a snack and a turkey sub for last meal (was on way to concert so I ate out last meal).

Went and saw some old school rock last night, Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper. It was pretty fun, wife and I went alone so a night without kids was nice. Was up very late and did not get too much sleep, but I am off from work and the gym today. After I get a few things done I am taking a nap until 1100 when its time to break my fast. Home alone today, so I am going to eat and lay in bed watching TV for a while to get some rest, maybe doze.

Keeping carbs low today as it is an off day. More leftover pork chops and veggies, gonna "clean the fridge" of any leftover protein sources. I know there at least one small cooked steak and probably have some eggs also later today as one of my meals since I am off and can cook.

boogyman

Awards
Oh, some numbers I used on lifts I am doing this week (I deloaded a little when I started the new 5x5)

Squat 235 x 5
Bench 170 x 5
Deadlift 255 x 5 (doing this lift tomorrow, but It is pretty far below my PR)
Overhead Press 115 x 5

boogyman

Awards
A non training related post. Drive shaft yoke broke in my truck and the shaft fell out at around 50mph. Almost pole vaulted the entire truck. The shaft took out the entire exhaust, repairs to cost $1400. Thats gonna push my next "natty stack" a month or two down the pipeline lol.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Oh, some numbers I used on lifts I am doing this week (I deloaded a little when I started the new 5x5)

Squat 235 x 5
Bench 170 x 5
Deadlift 255 x 5 (doing this lift tomorrow, but It is pretty far below my PR)
Overhead Press 115 x 5
Those are still some pretty high and nice numbers bro! Keep it up!

Sorry to hear about the truck and money :/...Keep at it bro! Remember supps ain't needed, just good diet and consistency! You got those 2, so the supps can wait :)

boogyman

Awards
I'm not worried, that was more of a joke than anything and the supplement thing fit because of the forum. I actually consider myself lucky I have the money to get it fixed lol. My wife and I always make jokes like that back and forth when difficult things pop up.

boogyman

Awards
Another good workout. Deload day for squats, and they felt good. Hit my targets for Deads and Shoulder Presses. It was very humid and I did have some grip problems with Deads. I think I am going to start to use my straps on the last heavy set. I am worried my concentration will start to be so focused on grip that I will lose focus on form.

I slept in today, and went to the gym a couple hours later than usual. Having a big neighborhood cookout today for the 4th, so I am going to push my feeding window 1 hour later than usual and eat 12-8 instead of 11-7. Plan on ingesting extremely large quantities of meat today. First meal will still be eggs as I have been doing when I am off from work. I will also indulge in a few beers today, I have been pretty good in only have 1 or 2 every now and then.

Everyone have a safe and enjoyable holiday!

boogyman

Awards
Yesterday was uneventful so I didn't post.Heres where I am at:

Training: Today I missed my morning workout, but decided to change my days up anyhow. Instead of Mon/Wed/Fri I am going to do Tues/Thur/Sat. I have 2 reasons for doing this. First is so I only have to get up at 4AM twice a week. Sleep is my biggest weakness and that should help a bit. The second is Friday was my busiest and heaviest workout day, and I only have 1 hour to train on weekdays and struggle to barely finish. By moving it to Saturday I can take my time, rest an extra minute or so between the heavy sets. Saturdays workout will probably be around 90 minutes, is the "hardest", but I get and extra day to recover.

Diet: I feel my diet is going well. I seem to have hit a sweet spot and am in recomp mode. My weight is staying pretty consistant and I feel I am slowly gaining muscle mass. My strength feels great, I will not hit PRs for a couple weeks, but the weight I am using are close and I feel like the bar is moving easy. I am going to keep doing what I have been for the next few weeks diet wise and reassess. I'll probably add some calories when I hit a point where I need to deload one of the main lifts. I am eating lots of meat every day, and moderate carbs on workout days, low carbs on off days. Usually have a 2 scoop whey shake in the middle of my feeding window to make sure I get enough protein.

boogyman

Awards
Hit my weights again:

Squat 135,185,205,220 x 5. 240 x 3. 205 x 8.
Bench 135,145,155,165 x 5. 175 x 3. 155 x 8.
Pullups bodyweight 3 sets 10-12-10 reps. Full range of motion, slow all the way up to chest, almost all the way down to hanging. A few more weeks and I'll add weight for lower reps.
Low cable row 3 sets x 8 at 160lbs. These where easy, going keep adding weight slowly however.
Supersetted rope triceps and cable curls. 3 sets of 8, mostly done for a pump.
3 sets weighted crunches. 15lbs x 12. Easy again, but adding weight slowly every week.

Since I hit my weights, tuesday will look like this:

Squat 135,185,210,220,240 x 5
Bench 135,145,155,165,175 x 5
Low row 3 x 8 at 170lbs
Dips 3 sets bodyweight
Back extensions/side bends 3 x 10 at 10lbs (superset these, back first, then sides)

About a hour to eat. Going to have 6 eggs, some pork roll as a reward, english muffins, a large glass of grape juice. Chug a whey shake after.
2nd and third meals will be steaks. Mashed pototoes and veggies with the first, just veggies with the last. A couple protein snacks in between, gotta look around to see what we have. I need to go pick up a few things tomorrow food wise.

boogyman

Awards
Off day today and tomorrow. Keeping carbs low. Just had 3 eggs, a turkey sandwich (2 slices wheat bread and about 1/2 lb turkey) and about a quart of whole milk. Got 2 filet mignons for wife and I tonight, probably grill some eye round steak with it for tomorrows meals at work (been eating lots of red meat lately, kinda bored of chicken I guess). Gonna add some olive oil to my steamed veggies from now on for some extra calories.

Have very mild DOMs in legs and chest today, have not had DOMs in a while. Probably from adding the 8 rep "back off" sets to my Saturday workout. Not a big deal and should be gone by tomorrow.

boogyman

Awards
Had a good tuesday workout, hit my target weights again. Again today I hit my targets, I decided to switch to a mixed grip on deadlifts, so I will probably deload a bit next time. I did 265 on deads, but only did 3 reps. Decided against straps. I was so focused on grip and regripping thay I just lost concentration. Going to use 235 with the new grip and add 10 lbs each week instead of 5 until I get back to 265.

Had like 2 days this past week where I made a mess of my diet by not eating enough. It didn't effect my performance, but I was lethargic for stretches and felt like recovery was hampered a bit. Sometimes life gets in the way, I'm not going to let it bother me by "sweating the small stuff". I am going to have a larger than normal last meal tonight with more carbs than i would usually eat at the end of my feeding window and pick back up on the right foot tomorrow.

Saturday is my next training day.

boogyman

Awards
My lifts today:
Squat 135,185,205,225 x 5. 245 x 3. 205 x 8.
Benchpress 135,145,155,165 x 5. 180 x 3. 155 x 8.
Rows 3 sets 135 x 5

Started doing rows again, have not had any sciatic pain for about a week. They felt good, so I am going to add them back in. I think I'll try doing them 3x5 starting strength style twice a week after benching. Maybe less sets will help keep the sciatic pain away. I'll add some weight every week and see what happens.