Swanson52...Dropping 25+ Pounds

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Been here a long time, decided it's time to start a log.

Current Numbers
36 years old
6'2"
262# (this morning)
BF ~18%...this is approximate as I haven't had it tested since the picture attached was taken, and I'm about 12 pounds lighter than in the pic.

Supplements (Now and for the foreseeable future)
Fish Oil (10-12g/day)
SuperCissus RX
Orange Triad
TrueNutrition BCAA Plus (intra-post)
TrueNutrition TeamSkip Protein
Yohimbine HCL

True 1RM (I'm a 5/3/1 guy, so my training maxes will be 90%)
SOHP-225
Bench-385
Squat-450
Deadlift-550

Diet
Is solid. My carb intake is centered around my training on training days (duh), and equally spaced on non training days, with the cutoff being about 6pm. Typically my last 2 meals are pro/fat only...I throw in some veggies but don't count them. I refeed on Sundays...LIKE A BOSS.

The Story
Currently I am coming off a mild back injury (pinched sciatic between L-something and L-something), which kept me out of the gym for 19 days. I started back this week light, but I want to map my progress from here.

The Plan
I'm going to lose 25 pounds (minimum) over the course of the next 10-12 weeks, but I am going to gain strength. Period. I've done it to this point, so I see no reason that it won't continue. At that point, I'm going to prep for my first powerlifting meet on 11/10. I had planned for a meet on 8/25, but it was cancelled and the next one local to me is in November. I will compete at 242, raw.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's a pic at 275.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Monday and yesterday were pretty anticlimactic...I simply did fasted LISS cardio for 30 minutes each at a HR of 130+

Today was deadlift

SUMO DEADLIFT
225x15
315x5/5/5/5

ONE ARM DB SNATCH
50x10
60x10
First time doing these...they're freakin' hard!

CONVO DEADS
225x12/12/12

GOOD MORNING
135x15
155x15/15

ABS

I also did 30 minutes of fasted LISS cardio first thing, then came back to train.

Again, this week I am taking it easy until I assess my recovery fully, but everything today felt good.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nothing too special today, just trying to get back in the groove.

AM weight was 264

30 minutes fasted AM cardio.

BENCH
275x5/5/5/5

BW DIPS
BWx10/10/10

FIXED BB CURLS
65x15
75x15
85x15

ONE ARM DB ROWS
100x12/12/12

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
same here

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Swanson52 coming with the strong update...I didn't to jack $hit today! :D No cardio, no training, NADA.

I set my training maxes for a new wave of 5/3/1, and built the spreadsheet out to a year that calculates all my training weights. It's the one Wendler outlined in the ebook, but if anyone wants a copy I'll be happy to send it to you. It's no miracle of Excel, but it's a handy little spreadsheet for taking out the work of calculations.

Today and tomorrow will be just holding steady on diet, with maybe some cardio thrown in tomorrow. Waiting for my Sunday refeed...that's all I do the last 2 days of every week. Love me some refeed!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Up to 267 this morning. :confused:

I baselined pretty early in the week, hopefully the increase in BW correlates to my leg and back soreness. I'm sure I'm holding a little water because of that.

I'm going to refeed my head off tomorrow and see what happens Monday; ideally I'd like to be 270 or so Monday AM, then drop to 260 or 261 by my next refeed.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well...I made 270 post refeed. :) 272 this morning.

Yesterday I ate an entire feta/chicken/veggie pizza for lunch, probably 6 pieces of French toast, 2 pancakes and hash browns for breakfast, and a pint of sorbet with a couple bagels to finish the day. Myfitnesspal called it 784g carbs and only 128g fat. Protein was around 250g or so. Not bad for a 10 hour refeed.

AM LISS fasted cardio x 30 min

PM

STANDING OHP
135x5
155x5
175x6 <~~~ I left probably 2 strict in the tank here.

DIPS
BWx15/15/12
+25x8/8

FIXED BB CURLS
75x15
85x15
95x12
85x12

Also threw in some band face pulls and about 10 minutes of cable rotator work. Not a bad training session; it was just stupid hot at work and in the gym so I'm pretty gassed.

Eat. Rest. Grow. Did I mention eat?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
265 today.

No cardio this morning, had some other **** going on

PM

SUMO DEADS
320x5
370x5
420x5. <~~~~ This was freakin hard today.

CONVO DEADS
225x15/15/15

HAMMER HIGH ROW
3PPSx15
4PPSx12/12/12

GOOD MORNINGS
135x15/15/15 <~~~~light, slow and controlled. Felt good.

I had a crazy sweat going so I hit 15 minutes on the elliptical after I was done. I'll likely hit AM & PM cardio sessions tomorrow. Hoping I baseline at 264 tomorrow as well; I'd like to dip to 259 by refeed, but we'll see. That may be asking too much.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Baseline @264 yesterday.

AM LISS cardio x 30min

PM

BENCH
215x5
245x5
275x7

INCLINE DB PRESS
100x12/12/12

ONE ARM DB ROW
120x15/12/12/10

ABS

Band pull-aparts and cable rotator work for about 15 min.

Felt pretty good...seems strength is SLOWLY coming back around. I emphasize slowly.

Also going back to AM fasted training next week. I'm wiped out after working all day in the heat, so my sessions lack a little intensity. It's easier to do cardio while tired, not as easy to do 5/3/1.

I also think it makes diet sense, as I tend to crave carbs mid-morning on the reg...might as well roll that into PWO nutrition as well. *shrug*. Might be bro science but it makes sense in my head.

Squats today.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My low weight for the week was 260 even.

Refeed today; I'm sure I'll feel differently later in the week, but right now I want to throw into the trash every last gram of carbohydrate I have in the house.

Brutal, but at least I know I won't get ravenously hungry late in the week.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Back to fasted AM training today. 273 after yesterday's GIGANTIC refeed.

OHP
145x3
165x3
185x5

DIPS
BWx20
+25x15
+35x12
+35x10

FIXED BB CURLS
85x15/15/15

Also 15 min of rotator cuff work, as well as some band work for shoulders/upper back.

20 min elliptical @ 145bpm hr.

Cut it a little short today as I was helping my wife get acclimated to some new exercises, but good session overall.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
267 this morning.

SUMO DEADS
345x3
395x3
445x3

These have been freakin tough the last couple weeks. I'm just barely getting my last set, but I guess progress is progress

GOOD MORNINGS
135x15
155x15/15

HAMMER LOW ROW
3PPSx15/15/15

AB WHEEL
ouch.

20 min elliptical @ 145hr

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not much happening today; one 30 minute AM cardio session, then another 30 min PM with abs.

I'm not sure I hit a single macro today, I was simply not hungry at all. :/

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Still stuck at 268; I usually baseline on Thursdays, but it seems I'm hanging on to weight a little longer than I normally do. I doubt I'll drop 8# by tomorrow...and I'm not real sure I'll drop 9-10 by Sunday's refeed. :/

BENCH
225x3
255x3
285x5

FLAT DB PRESS (HAMMER GRIP)
80x15/15/15/15/15
My shoulder was bugging me, so I went a bit lighter on these and rows, but went for the full 75 reps that I never do.

ONE ARM DB ROWS
100x15/15/15/15/15

15-20 minutes of rotator and band work. I'll do cardio tonight.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe I'll get to baseline...265 today.

No squats today, just AM fasted LISS cardio today for 30 min. I simply couldn't get my ass out bed. Good rest tonight and I'll squat tomorrow.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No weight this morning-I'm in Wichita KS for work so I didn't have a scale before I started hydrating and drinking my BCAA's. I did find a decent local gym so I worked out there.

BENCH
225x5
255x3
275x11
Not sure what happened today. :) I spent all weekend watching Dave Tate and elitefts videos, changed my grip and really hit the groove benching. I'll take it.

CHEST SUPPORTED ROWS
180x12/12/12/12

Superset with band pull-aparts 4 sets 12

FLAT DB BENCH
80x20/20

FIXED BAR CURLS
70x15/15/15/15

SHRUGS
315x12/12/12/12

20 minutes elliptical @ 145+ HR.

As always, 15 min of rotator work got me started.

Good day, first time I've been happy with a workout (top to bottom) in a while.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice pressing
Thank you, sir. I've been trying to figure out hand position, bar speed, etc. since I started 5/3/1, and it came together this session. Might never happen again, but I'm glad it did at least once!

I went WAY wider than I typically do, pulled myself to the bar on descent, really got tight up top. I need to watch Dave Tate every day.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
:frusty:

Not dropping weight from my refeed, and I feel bloated as ****.

Add to that...

SUMO DEAD
375x5...this doesn't feel quite right. Should I shut it down?
420x3...Maybe I should shut it down.
470x0...MY BACK ****ING HURTS, I SHOULD'VE SHUT IT DOWN.

Tweaked something pretty intensely, having trouble walking and moving around at work now. :rain:

Time to hit the Advil and ice. Damn it.

Yes, I'm a *****. Whatever.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Herniated disc. :/

This'll put a kink in the plans-time to really get after dieting I guess.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So the official diagnosis is herniated L5/S1 disc. I'll start physical therapy tomorrow, and stick to daily swimming and elliptical (as I can tolerate it) for cardio.

What can you do? Injuries are part of the game.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Went and slammed a 30 minute cardio session at 2330 last night. :crazy:

This morning I trained WS4SB template, but went VERY light. I mainly wanted to get the movements in, break a sweat and not exacerbate my injury. Also training the Mrs as well.

FLAT BENCH
185x15
205x15

BLAST STRAP PUSH UP
15/15

ONE ARM DB ROWS
50x15/15/15/15

SS with

BAND PULL APARTS
15/15/15/15

DB SHRUGS
80x15/15/15/15

SS with

ONE ARM DB CURL
40x15/15/15/15

I'll go back tonight to swim and hit the elliptical.

PT this morning then rest for the remainder of the day. Back is a little tight, but nothing a Vicodin can't deal with. ;)

Also loving 97/3 ground beef mixed with natty PB and some pineapple chunks. It's marvelous!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Floor press, dips, and pull/chinups would be a good ME options since they don't put pressure on the spine from arching into position like bench.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Floor press, dips, and pull/chinups would be a good ME options since they don't put pressure on the spine from arching into position like bench.
I like this. A lot.

When you suggest dips, are you talking the weighted, parallel bar variety? I quite enjoy these, and further eliminate back strain by holding a dumbbell between my knees.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like this. A lot.

When you suggest dips, are you talking the weighted, parallel bar variety? I quite enjoy these, and further eliminate back strain by holding a dumbbell between my knees.
Yes, but you may want to get a belt instead of holding the weight between your knees.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, but you may want to get a belt instead of holding the weight between your knees.
I only didnt mention the belt because I thought it may have an axial loading effect on the hips/lower spine while the DB between knees would pull everything straight down.

But you're a lot smarter than I. ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I only didnt mention the belt because I thought it may have an axial loading effect on the hips/lower spine while the DB between knees would pull everything straight down.

But you're a lot smarter than I. ;)
This may be just on me, but it feels like the belt helps to decompress my lumbar.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll try it both ways and use the one that feels best. Either way the suggestions are fantastic.

I need to rep someone else prior to repping you anymore. :D

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DE Lower...ouch!

I skipped the jumps, as it REALLY aggravated my back, so on to-

BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUATS-FRONT LEG ELEVATED
BWx20
+15#DBSx12
+25#DBSx12
+25#DBSx12

45 DEGREE HYPERS
BWx12
+25x12/12/12

HANGING LEG RAISES
12/12/12/12

PLANKS
1 min x 3

Cardio tonight.

Back was a little sore from PT and stretching yesterday, so I continue to take it easy. I'm sticking with weights that are challenging yet manageable while protecting my back.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
30 min elliptical @ 145+ HR, planks, stretching.

Back starting to feel better; I go in for an MRI this morning, then I'll hammer cardio and stretching again later today.

I'm really on a roll with nutrition right now too, which is encouraging. I'm taking prednisone so I continue to hang on to some water, but I should be shedding that pretty quickly after I'm done with the RX.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Last night I did another 30 min on the elliptical, stretching and planks.

Today REPETITION UPPER

DIPS-took Rodja's advice and used a dip belt. No issues!
BWx15
+25x12
+70x10

NG LAT PULLDOWN
200x15
200x15
200x15

Superset with

TRX BAND SCARECROWS
BWx15/15/15

SEATED DB SHOULDER PRESS
70x12
80x12
90x10

Superset with

FIXED BB CURL
95x12/12/12

I'll do cardio this evening. Good session, all things considered.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn man, sorry to hear about your back injury. Are you just rehabing it for a period of time until it gets better, or do you need surgery to fix it? (I dont know much about hernias). Anyways, looks like you didn't quite drop your training, so stay safe and good luck with your lifts!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn man, sorry to hear about your back injury. Are you just rehabing it for a period of time until it gets better, or do you need surgery to fix it? (I dont know much about hernias). Anyways, looks like you didn't quite drop your training, so stay safe and good luck with your lifts!
Thank you sir.

I'm just training around it pending the results of the MRI. I doubt I'll have to have surgery-it's feeling much better so I plan to just ease back into the heavy weight as I can tolerate it.

I'm probably going to work some type of flexibility training in (yoga), and really focus on my core strength as well.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BOX SQUATS (slightly below parallel)
225x12
315x5/5/5

Still taking it easy on ME stuff. I feel like a baby, but my back is TENDER

BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUATS
+50x12/12/12

45 DEGREE HYPERS
+45x12/12/12

ABS

No cardio today-I'm freakin carb depleted, tired, grouchy and hot. I've never been more ready to refeed in my life. No carb left behind tomorrow.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The BSS are a great idea to keep the hips loose and to work the glute min/med.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't make it out of yesterday without refeeding. I started feeling hypoglycemic (badly), so I crammed my refeed in the last 8 hours of yesterday. Much better today.

30 min fasted elliptical, planks, stretching.

ME Upper tomorrow.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I trained light but ANGRY today.

FLAT DB PRESS
110x15/15

TRX STRAP PUSH UP
20/20

DB ROWS
100x15/15/15

SS WITH

BAND PULL APARTS
15/15/15 <~~~~I love these.

DB SHRUGS
100x15/15/15/15

SS WITH

ONE ARM DB CURLS
55x15/15/15/15

30 min elliptical.

Got my MRI results right after pt first thing today.

T12/L1 to L4/L5 discs are ALL bulged, L5/S1 is herniated, with all of them showing signs of arthritis. Id be happy to email MRI results to someone that could suggest something; spine doc wants to do epidural injections to see if they can alleviate inflammation, and he's considering surgery on L5/S1.

I'd like alternative as my options seem far more invasive than I'd like, considering I've had a 2 level fusion already.

I don't give a ****, I'm going to keep training around it until I can't.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Adding; started my AgeForce weight loss patch tonight. Should I start a new thread to log?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Moving my log to the supplement log section. Please follow there if so inclined!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Moving my log to the supplement log section. Please follow there if so inclined!
Checking it out.

Rough news on the discs. Did they at least recommend you a sports doctor/PT to see what can be done that way to address the issues?