Wendler 5/3/1 just a feel good workout?

Swift

Awards
If your goal when you train is to get stronger is 5/3/1 a good program?In my opinon its not especially if your at the intermediate lvl of your training.Maybe im wrong somebody clear it for me.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why wouldn't it be a good workout? Regardless of your experience, you're still lifting with constant progression. I know of many accomplished PLer's who use it exclusively.

Personally, I love it.

Swift

Awards
I could see it working great for an elite lifter because there at the point no matter what they do there at or close to there raw potential.Take me for example Im 205lbs with a raw bench of 340,squat 505,dl550 im no where near my raw potential .I may add 20lbs to my bench next month instead of 5lbs like wendler calls for.It just seems to like its a feel good work.If your max is 340 this month you train like you got a 340 max,if its 360 next month you train like its 360 not 345 just for the pshylogical effect of hey im going up 5lbs each month.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How is it a feel good template? It's carefully constructed like a good training template should be with a long-term goal. It's not only about setting 1RM PRs, but also about rep PRs.

Swift

Awards
You could get the same result with a simple 5x5 program.Westside its the route to go if you train for strength.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could get the same result with a simple 5x5 program.Westside its the route to go if you train for strength.
5x5 is a a linear system and strength is not linear. What point are you trying to make? If you don't like 5/3/1, then don't do it.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I could see it working great for an elite lifter because there at the point no matter what they do there at or close to there raw potential.Take me for example Im 205lbs with a raw bench of 340,squat 505,dl550 im no where near my raw potential .I may add 20lbs to my bench next month instead of 5lbs like wendler calls for.It just seems to like its a feel good work.If your max is 340 this month you train like you got a 340 max,if its 360 next month you train like its 360 not 345 just for the pshylogical effect of hey im going up 5lbs each month.
If you only strength train, you'll definitely get much stronger on more aggressive programs, for instance westside. Not even a question.

I think one of the nice things about 5/3/1 is it's a great template for maintaining strength and conditioning safely. Funny enough, this is something you were getting at but maybe just weren't framing it right. And that sort of safety (from injury) is very favorable to those who train for a sport, so I see it often recommended as a training program for athletes.

But the progression is small. If you want to get stronger faster, have some guys watching out for you (good spotters, have a good eye for what's good form and what's not), don't play contact sports at a pro or semi-pro level, and you're not hitting walls pretty frequently in your workouts, I'd pick something else.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess I forgot to mention something else that's worth keeping in mind about 5/3/1. It's a program that you can run year-round, and during that entire period it's designed so that you are making progress and hitting PRs. Other programs you might have to cycle off from doing strength work to more hypertrophy work, or working on technique or something else, so for that month you might not hit any PRs at all. So it also depends on your style/personality. Are you ok setting a +20 or a +50lb PR one month, and then the next month or more not setting any PRs?

Swift

Awards
take 75% or 85% of your 1rm do 5x5 ,next month add 5pounds to your 1rm take 75% or 85% of that and we just accomplished and even more simple version of 5/3/1.Im just trying make the point dont think this is a good alternative to westside training if your goal in this one life is to be an elite lifter someday and westside traing made wendler elite noth this.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
take 75% or 85% of your 1rm do 5x5 ,next month add 5pounds to your 1rm take 75% or 85% of that and we just accomplished and even more simple version of 5/3/1.Im just trying make the point dont think this is a good alternative to westside training if your goal in this one life is to be an elite lifter someday and westside traing made wendler elite noth this.
It's not meant to be an alternative to the conjugate method.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
While I understand the point you're trying to make, the "theoretical" progression is just that. You don't KNOW that you'll add 20# in the next month. You may, but you don't know that you will.

Secondly, if you add 20# in a month, wouldn't that be a testament to how well 5/3/1 works?

Finally, I think if you're seeing that big of a jump in your strength, simply reset your maxes and start over. Why overthink what you see as limitations to the program?

Swift

Awards
This was a nice healthy conversation it may seem that i was hating on 5/3/1 ,but i wasn i just get a little passionate about my lifting

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Secondly, if you add 20# in a month, wouldn't that be a testament to how well 5/3/1 works?
It would be a statement to its limitation. He would have made 20lb progressions on any other program; however, with 5/3/1, he only made a 5lb progression. That was his point.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It would be a statement to its limitation. He would have made 20lb progressions on any other program; however, with 5/3/1, he only made a 5lb progression. That was his point.
Prescribed progression /= actual progression.