Old dog, new tricks....Wendler 5-3-1 Log

Page 5 of 6 First ... 3456 Last

  1. 6-29-12

    Overhead Press - A - (105max) 80x5,85x5,95x5)
    DB Lat Raises 20sx10x3
    Kroc Rows 45sx10x3
    Straight Arm Pulldowns 30x50x3


  2. 7-2-12

    Ran into someone doing SL5x5, impressive results.

    Squats - B - 120x3,135x3,145x5
    RDLs - 65sx10x3
    Leg Press - 90x10x3
    Knee Raises - 15x10x4
    •   
       


  3. 7-3-12

    Bench - B - 130x3,140x3,150x3
    DB presses - 45s10x3
    Kroc rows - 45sx10x3
    Overheard Rope Pulls 40x10x4

  4. 7-5-12

    DL - B - 135x3,145x3,155x5
    RDLS 65x10x3
    Squats 65x10x3
    Knee Raises 15x4

  5. Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    7-5-12

    DL - B - 135x3,145x3,155x5
    RDLS 65x10x3
    Squats 65x10x3
    Knee Raises 15x10x4
    Howcome you're only doing the minimum reps for your 3'rd sets? I think it's intrinsic to 531 to go balls out on that set, for a few
    reasons, not least of which is it allows you to track your progress by calculating your 1 rep max. When I say balls out of course I
    don't mean knock yourself out, you're not supposed to go to failure, but 1 or 2 reps shy of that point.
    •   
       


  6. I tend to forget.
    I did do 5 on my last DL set, I didn't feel like I could push much more without hurting myself.
    I need some diet help if you have some advice


    Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    Howcome you're only doing the minimum reps for your 3'rd sets? I think it's intrinsic to 531 to go balls out on that set, for a few
    reasons, not least of which is it allows you to track your progress by calculating your 1 rep max. When I say balls out of course I
    don't mean knock yourself out, you're not supposed to go to failure, but 1 or 2 reps shy of that point.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    I need some diet help if you have some advice
    What exactly do you need help with? I'd be happy to help get you on the right track if you give me an idea of what your struggling with.

  8. A diet plan that goes along with 5/3/1. I am trying to slim down my BF which is ~20% range.
    I tend to get stuck at a weight and stay there or slowly creep up.

    Quote Originally Posted by N.Woods Giant View Post
    What exactly do you need help with? I'd be happy to help get you on the right track if you give me an idea of what your struggling with.

  9. 7-6-12

    Will add cardio next week.

    Overhead Press - B - 85x3,90x3,95x8
    DB Lat Raises - 20sx10x4
    Straight Arm Pulldowns 30x50,40x50,30x50
    Hammerhead Curls - 30sx10x4

  10. Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    I tend to forget.
    I did do 5 on my last DL set, I didn't feel like I could push much more without hurting myself.
    I need some diet help if you have some advice
    Sure no problem. The most basic diet is 40/40/20. It's a scheme for dividing up your calorie intake so you get 40% calories from protein, 40% from carbohydrates, and 20% from fats.

    To implement it you need to write down everything you eat for a few days, and total up your carbs, protein and fats, and see where your at, and therefore what you need to change to get to 40/40/20.

    A secondary goal is to avoid processed foods as much as you can.

    So once you get your totals figured out, what you'll do is create a meal plan for yourself, and at that time you can set your calorie total. For a person your height to trim down you'll probably want to be in the 1800-2000 calorie/day range. That aught to drop 1-2 lb/week.

    The bonus is, once you get your protein-carb ratio right you'll start adding muscle more quickly, and your fat loss will accelerate too.

    It's not as much work as it sounds like. Once you do the initial work of tracking your food for a week or so and get familiar with basic meal plans, it'll become mostly automatic.

  11. 7-9-12

    Squats - C - 120x5,135x3,150x5
    RDLs 65x10x4
    Leg Press 90x10x3
    Leg Raises 15x4

  12. 7-10-12

    Bench - C - 125x5,140x3,155x5
    Kroc rows 50x10x3
    dumbbell tricep extension 50x10x3
    cardio 15mins

  13. 7-12-12

    DL - C - 130x5,145x3,160x8
    RDLs 65x10x4
    Squats 95x10x3
    Knee Raises 15x4

  14. Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    7-12-12

    DL - C - 130x5,145x3,160x8
    RDLs 65x10x4
    Squats 95x10x3
    Knee Raises 15x4
    Looking good, that puts your 1 rep max at about 200. I like your choice of assistance exercises here too, you should be able to make good progress that way. Cheers!

    P.S. Here's a link to a 1RM calculator, just in case you're not familiar.

    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

  15. Thanks!

    After deloading next week, should I add 10lbs or change it to my new 1RM?


    Quote Originally Posted by compudog View Post
    Looking good, that puts your 1 rep max at about 200. I like your choice of assistance exercises here too, you should be able to make good progress that way. Cheers!

    P.S. Here's a link to a 1RM calculator, just in case you're not familiar.

    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

  16. Quote Originally Posted by dlew308 View Post
    Thanks!

    After deloading next week, should I add 10lbs or change it to my new 1RM?
    Personally I would just add the 10 lb and carry on as normal. Part of the idea of 531 is that you never actually lift at your 1RM, by staying below that level of effort a lifter can continue to make steady progress, but of course it's up to you.

  17. 7-13-12
    wt 187

    happy friday 13th!

    OH - C - 80x5,90x3,100x5
    DB Lat Raises - 25sx10x4
    Kroc Rows - 55sx10x3
    cardio - 28mins

  18. Per Wendler: don't add 10 pounds to your lower body lifts. Rather, Add 10 pounds to your 1rm and then calculate your new lifts from there. For OHP and FBP add only 5 pounds.

    Keep it going!!

  19. 7-16-12

    Deloading week...

    Squats - D - 95x5, 100x5, 110x5
    RDLs 65x10x3
    Knee Raises 15x4
    Cardio 28mins

  20. 7-17-12

    Bench - D - 100x5,105x5,110x5
    Kroc Rows - -55x10x3
    Overhead Rope Pulls 50x10x4
    cardio - 15 mins

  21. 7-19-12

    DL - D - 100x5,110x5,120x5
    Squats 95x10x3
    Seated Hammerhead curls - 30sx10x4
    Prone Bridges 30secs x 4
    cardio 15mins

  22. 7-20-12

    This completes another successful cycle.

    OH - D - 65x5,70x5,75x5
    Lat Raises 20sx10x3
    cardio - 28mins

  23. 7-26-12

    Back from Miami, business trip....
    I am passing on some assistance work in order to add in some cardio.

    Squats - A - 125x5,130x5,140x5
    RDLs 65x10x3
    Knee Raises 15x4
    Cardio 15mins

  24. 7-27-12

    Felt pumped afterwards...

    Bench - A - 130x5,135x5,145x5
    Kroc rows - 30sx10,45sx10x2,50sx10
    Hammerhead Curls - 30sx10x4
    Overhead rope pull downs 40x10,50x10x4

  25. 7-30-12

    Dead Lift (180) - A - 135x5,145x5,155x5
    Squats 95x10x3
    Knee Raises 15x4
    Cardio 15mins
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Max-OT or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 powwrlifting routine
    By cham in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 02:02 PM
  2. Wendler's 5/3/1
    By The Neck in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-19-2010, 05:58 AM
  3. Wendler's 5/3/1 with singles
    By Turk1976 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 11:57 AM
  4. 5/3/1 Manual by Jim Wendler
    By HawaiianPride in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Log in
Log in